• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt Miitama kind of died dead in its tracks with the Holy Light Man gag. 👀

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt Miitama kind of died dead in its tracks with the Holy Light Man gag. 👀

I have the feeling that the mangaka either gave up, or has idea idea where to go now.

As for Ghost Reaper Girl, the art is soooo good, but a shame that it's kinda fan servicey. I feel like lolita guy will be either a one-time gag, or will stretch out the 'joke' through the whole thing. No idea what the mangaka is thinking with making it flipped only for the west :/ I feel like it's one of those weird Japanese ideas where they seem to think we like it better that way. Otherwise why else flip it ONLY for the west?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling that the mangaka either gave up, or has idea idea where to go now.

As for Ghost Reaper Girl, the art is soooo good, but a shame that it's kinda fan servicey. I feel like lolita guy will be either a one-time gag, or will stretch out the 'joke' through the whole thing. No idea what the mangaka is thinking with making it flipped only for the west :/ I feel like it's one of those weird Japanese ideas where they seem to think we like it better that way. Otherwise why else flip it ONLY for the west?
Controversial take, I did not mind it being flipped for the west. I read enough western comics that after I realized how I was supposed to read it it didn't bug me, and it was nice being able to use the more intuitive (to me) keyboard controls in the web reader.

Man, I wish I could set page direction. Read the page right to left or left to right, just let me press right arrow to advance.

Hoping that they just drop that part of the guy's character ASAP, because honestly, if they lose that it's just the costume that's a problem, which is batting well above par. Still plenty of time for things to go wrong, ofc.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Controversial take, I did not mind it being flipped for the west. I read enough western comics that after I realized how I was supposed to read it it didn't bug me, and it was nice being able to use the more intuitive (to me) keyboard controls in the web reader.

Man, I wish I could set page direction. Read the page right to left or left to right, just let me press right arrow to advance.

Hoping that they just drop that part of the guy's character ASAP, because honestly, if they lose that it's just the costume that's a problem, which is batting well above par. Still plenty of time for things to go wrong, ofc.

You can try reading the series on the manga+ app, which lets you read the series vertically if you so desire.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can try reading the series on the manga+ app, which lets you read the series vertically if you so desire.
I do most of my reading on my laptop, so sadly it's website or nothing for me. Last time I tried the manga+ site it was just totally nonfunctional.

Really wish the interface was better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

That's what I did, but it's still flipped but I dunno, I guess more doable? Still annoying...

If you read manga regularly you owe it to yourself to get some sort of tablet.

I started reading digital manga on my phone via Crunchyroll, and soon after got a tablet and it's been SUCH a game-changer for reading manga! Haven't read manga since I did scalations many many years ago. I still buy physical books of a few select series, but more select since I read a lot of them digitally first and might not care nearly as much to buy them physically. But yeah, tablets have been amazing for reading almost anything. Ended up getting another tablet over the years, because some apps work better on one and not the other. But between the 2 I have access to: Shonen Jump, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime reading (a couple full series on there), and Comixology (friend shared his account). Been great! (For Manga+ I usually just use my phone for quick reads).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is iPad still the only real option for readers? I think I have an old Surface Go somewhere around here, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the apps probably aren't on the windows store.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is iPad still the only real option for readers? I think I have an old Surface Go somewhere around here, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the apps probably aren't on the windows store.

Depends also how old it is, too. Like my first tablet was a Kindle Fire, and I can run everything but Shonen Jump (and Mangamo, if I wanted to...) on it, and my other is an iPad Pro, where I can run everything on it but Crunchyroll Manga, as it has issues. Look and see what is available for the version you have, if it even supports all the apps that you use. No idea on Windows Store, but I'm going to lean towards "probably not".

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Android is fine in most cases, with the the exception of the Comixology android app not supporting spreads in landscape for manga. The crunchyroll app is unfortunately broken in some way on every single platform.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah getting a tablet has been a game changer for manga.

Also why didn't anyone mention how fucking HARD Jujutsu Kaisen goes? Goddamn.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Also why didn't anyone mention how fucking HARD Jujutsu Kaisen goes? Goddamn.

It's one of the series I'm so far behind on (only on Ch 10 lol), but I need to catch up way more before the anime comes out, assuming it makes that fall date. Right now it's just kinda run-of-the-mill, but still in the starting point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's one of the series I'm so far behind on (only on Ch 10 lol), but I need to catch up way more before the anime comes out, assuming it makes that fall date. Right now it's just kinda run-of-the-mill, but still in the starting point.

Yeah stick with it, based upon your comments it's exactly the kind of series you want to see more of in Jump

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah stick with it, based upon your comments it's exactly the kind of series you want to see more of in Jump

Another reason too to want to catch up with it. Still trying to catch up on Jigokuraku as well, because I hate reading it in browser mode and want to get to those recent 3 chapters on Manga+ so I don't need to read it in that format anymore. Well, technically I can read 'browser-mode' on tablets, but for some reason it always bugs out and then I need to restart to get it working again.

Speaking of Manga+, with so many series that have ended recently on it, I'm surprised they haven't brought out anything new/dug into the vault to release some older stuff on it in the west. Sad that Soloist in a Cage is still on hiatus, what beautiful art that has!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Another reason too to want to catch up with it. Still trying to catch up on Jigokuraku as well, because I hate reading it in browser mode and want to get to those recent 3 chapters on Manga+ so I don't need to read it in that format anymore. Well, technically I can read 'browser-mode' on tablets, but for some reason it always bugs out and then I need to restart to get it working again.

Speaking of Manga+, with so many series that have ended recently on it, I'm surprised they haven't brought out anything new/dug into the vault to release some older stuff on it in the west. Sad that Soloist in a Cage is still on hiatus, what beautiful art that has!

Right there with you, Hell's Paradise has been fantastic but FUCK Viz's trash tier browser-mode for reading manga.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Finished 'Wombs' - it was 🆒

StVlDjZ.jpg

It's maybe overkill for just reading but can highly recommend ipad pro 11" 😁

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Depends also how old it is, too. Like my first tablet was a Kindle Fire, and I can run everything but Shonen Jump (and Mangamo, if I wanted to...) on it, and my other is an iPad Pro, where I can run everything on it but Crunchyroll Manga, as it has issues. Look and see what is available for the version you have, if it even supports all the apps that you use. No idea on Windows Store, but I'm going to lean towards "probably not".
I read everything on my iphone without issue. I have a amazon fire tablet but I always forget to use it.
Yeah, the thing about android tablets is that they're sorta abandonware at this point, from what I understand. MS makes good tablets but the app support still isn't there, so you're left with iPads. Ugh.

I'll stick with my browser for now, even though the Viz site is aggressively terrible.
It's maybe overkill for just reading but can highly recommend ipad pro 11" 😁
Maybe a LITTLE lmao

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed there isn't a ComiXology app for the eInk Kindles. Mind you, Amazon could just solve that by making Kindle/ComiXology ownership truly two-way...
You can actually get to your Comixology purchases on Kindle! I read all of Silver Spoon that way.

True true, but then you miss out on the full colour covers. Surely that's worth the extra several hundred dollars??

RAJPiDi.jpg
I got my new waterproof Kindle for like 99 bucks lmao

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How is the paperwhite in handling pictures? I don't think I've bought a book with anything but words. And I think they would have to limit it to black and white stuff (which is perfect for manga).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ipad Pros ARE amazing for high-quality manga/comic reading.... Got one under a student discount (so yeah, not full price) and it's the only i-product I own, but it is great for 2-page spreads. Of course, it has that premium price tag if you don't have access to a discount (otherwise I never would've owned one).

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well totally, but just justify it by buying one for other reasons and also use it for reading! Manga and otherwise it's great.
I got a 12.9 inch ipad Pro and it is glorious for reading. Got a shonen jump sub and have been reading Dr Stone. I got it mainly for comics and now manga cuz the sub is so cheap lol. But I'm justifying the overkill by teaching myself how to draw with procreate and an Apple Pencil.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ipad Pros ARE amazing for high-quality manga/comic reading.... Got one under a student discount (so yeah, not full price) and it's the only i-product I own, but it is great for 2-page spreads. Of course, it has that premium price tag if you don't have access to a discount (otherwise I never would've owned one).

Unless that student discount is like 50% or something that's still a premium price... ;)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I got a 12.9 inch ipad Pro and it is glorious for reading. Got a shonen jump sub and have been reading Dr Stone. I got it mainly for comics and now manga cuz the sub is so cheap lol. But I'm justifying the overkill by teaching myself how to draw with procreate and an Apple Pencil.
It's a really good media consumption device for sure. The 12.9 would probably be too big for me as a tablet to hold and reading, but sitting on my lap or a desk browsing or whatever I'd enjoy it.

Again totally overkill for JUST reading manga or comics (or academic journals or whatever) but still.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How is the paperwhite in handling pictures? I don't think I've bought a book with anything but words. And I think they would have to limit it to black and white stuff (which is perfect for manga).
Pretty good! You have to fiddle with the brightness a little to prevent it from looking washed out or muddy, but the image quality is solid. Bigger limitation is probably 2 page spreads. Small screen is small.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You can actually get to your Comixology purchases on Kindle! I read all of Silver Spoon that way.

I got my new waterproof Kindle for like 99 bucks lmao

I was under the impression that you get your Kindle purchases in your ComiXology library but not vice-versa. I'll have to look into that further.

I bought a 9.7" iPad a couple years ago and it was fantastic (except for the low amount of storage). Recently convinced myself to upgrade to the 11" Pro :D

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My iPad's color is busted (and it apparently can't be fixed without replacing stuff inside). Doesn't affect manga at all (except the rare color page) so it's been fine so far, but I have been really tempted to buy a pro for comics. But yeah, so hard to justify if it's mainly for that. Too bad Comic Zeal doesn't work on iphone or android. All those humble bundles just wasting away on the cloud.

edited to add: oh wait it is iphone compatible. I meant Chunky comic reader.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a really good media consumption device for sure. The 12.9 would probably be too big for me as a tablet to hold and reading, but sitting on my lap or a desk browsing or whatever I'd enjoy it.

Again totally overkill for JUST reading manga or comics (or academic journals or whatever) but still.
It's been great for gaming and streaming too. I've been using it nonstop since I got it. I def don't regret my purchase. Of course I had to go pick up a new hobby to justify the overkill lol. Otherwise if I was just reading I'd have to second guess myself even though that's the main reason I wanted a tablet so bad.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's got a rough beginning but there's this one arc coming up that fucking hits HARD.

It's a lot like Hunter x Hunter honestly. For better or worse. You'll see what I mean.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I do actually use a e-ink reader for manga, a likebook mars, but since andorid apps aren't deisgned for e-ink screens support is spotty. Bookwalker works greats ince you can disable page transitions but the Shoenen Jump app doesn't work at all because you have to drag across the screen to turn pages and on an e-ink screen you have to drag across the entire screen for the app to pickup on the gesture.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 6 - This is basically a To-Love-Ru chapter now. It does seem consistent that we only ever see the lead guy's underwear and no one else's. Is it because he's wearing a fundoshi and not panties?

Act-Age 121 - This was a really good chapter. Having the other women write down their observations of Satsuki so she can figure out how to adjust her acting style made for fun moments, and I liked watching them all hang out.

Agravity Boys 29 - All the set up with the broccoli rules leading to everyone just smashing each other's heads in was a good gag, but this is still eh.

Black Clover 258 - Lots of no-dialogue panels. Just beat this guy already.

Bone Collection 12 - Introducing those two characters only to have one get kidnapped doesn't seem like the right move.

Dr. Stone 159 - This was a pretty hype chapter, though the timing of Senku putting together that bulletproof bag seems off. If he had time to do that, surely he had time to move away.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 4 - Getting a bit of exposition, though they're still being more cagey about what's going on than I'd like. The Star-Punk was a pretty good random gag. I feel like they probably shouldn't just let that girl wander around like that.

Jujutsu Kaisen 115 - This is a pretty good fight. I liked Sukuna telling everyone to wait before dodging the meteor under threat of death, just taking a break from the fight for a bit of side amusement.

Magu-chan 5 - This is growing into a fun and charming series.

Mission: Yozakura Family 44 - Looks like we're getting a serious fight now. I'm not sure it's better than not bringing it up at all, but I liked that the implied-gay bodyguard specifically stated he isn't into younger men, since being so is a common gay stereotype, especially in Japan.

Mitama Security 45 - This was a cute chapter.

Moriking 13 - Bringing up the bugs' short lifespan again. This was a nice chapter.

My Hero Academia 278 - Damn, Yaoyorozu getting a moment to shine! Midnight wasn't bad here either.

One Piece 985 - Didn't expect Orochi to die like that. He didn't even get to use his devil fruit for anything meaningful. Mainly an exposition chapter otherwise.

Time Paradox 10 - This was a weird chapter to see at this point. I figured they'd hold off on the how and why or her dying for... well, longer than this. What the heck is going on with this series' pacing?

We Never Learn 167 - Cute confession chapter.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece 985 - Didn't expect Orochi to die like that. He didn't even get to use his devil fruit for anything meaningful. Mainly an exposition chapter otherwise.

Time Paradox 10 - This was a weird chapter to see at this point. I figured they'd hold off on the how and why or her dying for... well, longer than this. What the heck is going on with this series' pacing?
Amusingly I don't think either of these two are actually dead. The beast in the story behind Orochi's devil fruit can recover from getting its head chopped off, and I think this chapter of Time Paradox doesn't take place in the main timeline. I think it's in the one the lottery numbers got sent back from.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Amusingly I don't think either of these two are actually dead. The beast in the story behind Orochi's devil fruit can recover from getting its head chopped off, and I think this chapter of Time Paradox doesn't take place in the main timeline. I think it's in the one the lottery numbers got sent back from.

The chapter has references to Anima, her new series in our timeline. It's possible they're jumping between timelines to mess with the reader, but it's worth noting that the liquid on the floor seems to be spilled ink rather than blood so she's probably not dead yet.

I was more puzzled by last week's chapter, where the central dilemma was about the MC struggling to replicate the storytelling flair of Aino... and then they did a time skip and forgot all about it.

Is Jump off next week? The app says new chapters are two weeks away.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The chapter has references to Anima, her new series in our timeline. It's possible they're jumping between timelines to mess with the reader, but it's worth noting that the liquid on the floor seems to be spilled ink rather than blood so she's probably not dead yet.

I was more puzzled by last week's chapter, where the central dilemma was about the MC struggling to replicate the storytelling flair of Aino... and then they did a time skip and forgot all about it.

Right, but they sent the new message back from the future referencing Anima.

Oct 25, 2017

Normally the Yamata-no-Orochi doesn't regrow heads, at least going by the original myth. The hydra of Greek myth did regrow heads.
Knowing Oda, he'll combine the two.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Yes Jump is off next week

And I'm starting to think TPGW isn't long for this world. They way it keeps time skipping is a bad sign.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes Jump is off next week

And I'm starting to think TPGW isn't long for this world. They way it keeps time skipping is a bad sign.

I've heard some talk that it might have been received badly in Japan because the MC is effectively a plagiarist. I'm mostly enjoying it but I do get annoyed at how Sasaki's goal of "Writing a manga everyone can enjoy" is hogwash (and the first chapter has the editor try to tell him this) but then White Knight comes along and (as this latest chapter emphasizes) is an impossibly brilliant paragon of his ideals that doesn't force him to mature as a storyteller. We also know basically nothing about White Knight's characters or lore, meaning we don't feel any attachment to it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard some talk that it might have been received badly in Japan because the MC is effectively a plagiarist. I'm mostly enjoying it but I do get annoyed at how Sasaki's goal of "Writing a manga everyone can enjoy" is hogwash (and the first chapter has the editor try to tell him this) but then White Knight comes along and (as this latest chapter emphasizes) is an impossibly brilliant paragon of his ideals that doesn't force him to mature as a storyteller. We also know basically nothing about White Knight's characters or lore, meaning we don't feel any attachment to it.

I did hear about the plagiarism thing, but it's like, if you were in a similar situation, most people in his shoes would probably do the same thing. I do wish it was a little like Bakuman, where they would show you a little bit of the manga itself. Made it seem like an authentic manga, and some actually made you wish they were real to check out. Here it's like, White Knight is "the most amazing thing everrrrr!!" but you are just reading it like "ok".

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't really see it as plagiarism tbh. It's a kinda is/kinda isn't situation.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think we were seeing the main timeline of the manga, I was reacting to us seeing the reason behind her death already.