• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The Sign of Abyss
I binged through it when it was on hiatus and it was enjoyable, but when it came back and headed into the climax, it felt kind of anti-climatic. There were like 3 chapters where I was like "oh ok this must be the last chapter" and then... I dunno, I think those extra chapters were a bit too much. Maybe something changed when the author came off hiatus, but just seemed off a little bit.

I really enjoyed sign of the abyss , but you can tell the author began to rush the ending trying to finish it before their health issues would force a hiatus. That failed and the series went on hiatus anyways. When Abyss came back the mangaka tried to slow down the ending which felt weird. It just need another like 5-10 chapters during the battle for successor arc to flesh out some more of the siblings before the climax we got.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed sign of the abyss , but you can tell the author began to rush the ending trying to finish it before their health issues would force a hiatus. That failed and the series went on hiatus anyways. When Abyss came back the mangaka tried to slow down the ending which felt weird. It just need another like 5-10 chapters during the battle for successor arc to flesh out some more of the siblings before the climax we got.

That makes sense. It's sad how much manga creators push for their work, with so many health issues that come from it :( The art for this was great, as it has the aestetic of a 90s style. I loved Jold and Asagith's relationship though! So adorable.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
reads Ayakashi Triangle chapter 1

Most of the way through, this seems safe enough. The translation seems a bit off, though. I wonder why it isn't on the Shonen Jump app.

reaches end

... Oh.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
reads Ayakashi Triangle chapter 1

Most of the way through, this seems safe enough. The translation seems a bit off, though. I wonder why it isn't on the Shonen Jump app.

reaches end

... Oh.

Honestly nothing in this chapter is any worse then stuff we see in WNL or other shonen manga. Maybe they've seen the next 2-3 chapters and know this'll get really spicy and got out ahead of it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did they pull it off the app last minute or something? Because a picture of it is still there on the huge "what's new" banner. I was confused at first, thinking it was coming out next week or something.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Did they pull it off the app last minute or something? Because a picture of it is still there on the huge "what's new" banner. I was confused at first, thinking it was coming out next week or something.
Yeah, that confused me too.

For those who haven't read it, the chapter ends with the lead male character being turned into a girl and there's a "woah, I have boobs now" moment followed by a panty shot.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, that confused me too.

For those who haven't read it, the chapter ends with the lead male character being turned into a girl and there's a "woah, I have boobs now" moment followed by a panty shot.

Is it more egregious than what's been in Chainsawman on SJ? I know they removed that one chapter but that seemed to be because of that spread.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it gets more fanservicey in the next chapters. Compared to what's already been on the app, it isn't that egregious.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I assume it gets more fanservicey in the next chapters. Compared to what's already been on the app, it isn't that egregious.

This is my guess. Either they have access to view some upcoming chapters and wanted to play it safe, or are assuming it's going to be something like Pretty Face which, yeah, really stretched the rating. The worst thing in Ayakashi was a shot of the protag changing and was wearing a bra and panties, but no actual nudity or anything.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 1 - Rewording what I said above, this seemed like a pretty fun action series with great art until the twist at the end. The translation felt a bit awkward, though. I really didn't expect that ending. I'm really unsure if the main guy being turned into a girl will be handled well. I mean, it's 100% going to be for fanservice, but I'm just hoping it won't be transphobic or anything. I'd also appreciate the love interest still being attracted to him like this, even if it's just a hot lesbians thing.

Act-Age 116 - High school girls secretly going on dates with older men for money comes up in shojo a lot. Is that really a common thing in Japan? Not sure what to make of this rivalry.

Agravity Boys 24 - That worked out better than expected. Surprised she left already.

Bone Collection 7 - I'm surprised the powerful exorcist needs help from the hero already. Fight was kind of fun, though the fanservice wasn't needed. You know, if Ayakashi Triangle remains an action series, then that means there will be two fanservicey exorcist series, and AT has much better art.

Dr. Stone 154 - I guess I should be glad the black guy isn't a racist caricature. The sniper set up is interesting. I wonder what the girl's deal is and why Xeno cares about her.

Guardian of the Witch 18 - This artist isn't great at unique female character designs, huh?

Jujutsu Kaisen 110 - Wait, that guy from the flashback? I must have forgotten about him getting reanimated. Well, at least now we basically have Rock Lee fighting a Lovecraft monster.

Mission: Yozakura Family 39 - I continue to appreciate that the leads consistently go on cute dates together. Like I can't think of any shonen that actually does that. I don't like the creeper still, but this was cute.

Mitama Security 40 - Glad things are still being dumb. It does still feel like things might come to an end soon, though.

Moriking 8 - I thought this chapter was really cute. I'm glad the praying mantis girl won easily. I was wondering how things would work with only four insect people total, but them having personal soldiers allows the cast to expand a bit more.

My Hero Academia 275 - Forgot that All For One would grant access to the search quirk. I half expect Aizawa to die here.

One Piece 982 - Surprised Big Mom is actually attacking and there wasn't just a comedy moment with her. It is weird that Usopp, Chopper, and Nami are the ones having to deal with her, though. Good chapter.

The Promised Neverland 181 (END) - The ending was alright. It ended in a kind of generic way, and it was disappointing there wasn't a more thematically satisfying ending, but it was fine. Overall, I do think TPN was a good series overall, but it hasn't been as good since they reunited with Norman. Still looking forward to the anime adapting all this.

Spy x Family 28 - This was a cute chapter. It felt like the sort of episode a sitcom would have.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 5 - This was a good chapter. I still get the sense that the story is focusing on the wrong character, though.

We Never Learn 162 - Oh damn, this is a route where the other girls still think they're in the running. I didn't realize that until now. I wonder how that will influence things. This was a cute chapter.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen 110 - Wait, that guy from the flashback? I must have forgotten about him getting reanimated. Well, at least now we basically have Rock Lee fighting a Lovecraft monster.
Yeah, It's Megumi's dead dad. The grandma summoned the information of his body, so that her grandson could transform into him and use his abilities. Except he was more than the guy could handle and just took over, lol.

This ties into something that was alluded in a previous chapter with Gojo and (posessed) Geto, where Geto's body moved against the will of the one who posesses him after Gojo called out to him. Some theory about the body and soul actually being the same thing, since when you just take over a body (or summon that information like the grandma did) you get all memories and abilities of the person.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
With Demon Slayer/Promised Neverland out the door and My Hero Academia absent, it really highlights just how poor Jump's lineup is now -- the likes of Agravity Boys, Undead Unluck, and Mitama should've been canned ages ago.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
With Demon Slayer/Promised Neverland out the door and My Hero Academia absent, it really highlights just how poor Jump's lineup is now -- the likes of Agravity Boys, Ungravity Undead, and Mitama should've been canned ages ago.
Undead Unluck is good, IMO. Mitama looks to be wrapping up.

Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck did get better.
Time Paradox Ghostwriter could have potential.
Magu-chan might start as a comedy but transition into action. We'll see what the rankings and editor thinks.
Friday we'll get to see Ryuhei Tamura's new series. Hopefully it's better than Hungry Marie.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I dunno how I misspelled the name like that, LOL

Anyway, uh, is the series still about the protagonist sexually assaulting that one girl? That might've not been an entirely fair comment since I dropped it only a few chapters in.
Nah, they've mostly dropped that side of things. It's actually a pretty cool fantasy action thing now. Very neat worldbuilding.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
With Demon Slayer/Promised Neverland out the door and My Hero Academia absent, it really highlights just how poor Jump's lineup is now -- the likes of Agravity Boys, Undead Unluck, and Mitama should've been canned ages ago.

Promised Neverland has been terrible for awhile

Jujutsu Kaisen, Act-Age, Dr Stone, and Chainsaw Man are all pretty well established series that are worth reading and have been great for awhile.

Of the new series Mashle has been fantastic from the start, and Undead Unluck continues to really improve. Time Paradox also has a lot of potential still trying to figure out where it's going.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Finally caught up with a bunch of stuff I'm reading (just newish series for now) and here's my thoughts:

Agravity Boys: Sometimes it's ok, but really have no idea where it's going and just never dug the humor that much

Ayakashi Triangle: Well, ch 2 is starting to show how it's going into more ecchi territory, so getting less surprising with why it's browser-only

Bone Collection: Not a huge fan of the art, and pretty meh

Chainsaw Man: More of the same. Not a favorite, but enjoyable as a quick read

Guardian of the Witch: Well, surprise to no one, this just ended. Ending wasn't as bad as other cancellations were, as they went for a super quick wrap-up. But I echo what everyone else thought with how it's just... lacking something

Magu-Chan: Thought I wouldn't enjoy it, but it surprised me. Another one of those gags where the OP overload is reduced to being powerless, but it's kinda cute.

Mashle: Sometimes amusing, but kind of bland. It's also just so heavily inspired by Harry Potter too, that it really feels like a mish-mash of stuff we have already seen before

Mission: Yozakura Family: Kind of up and down with this one, but focusing on Taiyo and Mutsumi has been a good choice in the last few chapters, instead of "family antics of the week". I prefer how the focus has been and been liking it much more, lately

Mitama Security: I've mentioned before how I really enjoyed the antics of the spirit queue but over time just... started losing me. Pretty sure this is ending soon too, as others have said

Moriking: Still in the minority of actually REALLY enjoying this! I always gravitate towards anthropomorphic animal series, and using bugs for this one keeps me amused

Spy x Family: S-tier and still waiting on that anime announcement...

Time Paradox: With everyone calling it Steins;Gate x Bakuman, I wasn't expecting much, but actually binged through and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would!

Undead Unlock: It's popular, but I'm still not into it :/ Not for me (but I'll keep reading till the end, cause that's what I do...)

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Promised Neverland has been terrible for awhile

I don't have time to fully deconstruct every series you listed here, but to quickly summarize...

I can't say I hated the last couple arcs, but that ending? Yeesh. Even so, it was at least something to look forward to.

I walked away from the Jump Start chapters confident it was destined for the axe; naturally, I ended up some heavy crow. As a means of penance, I've reviewed the first three volumes for VIZ and while it's improved, its remained thoroughly average. Shame because I dig the message it's trying to share and it has some fun humor. The fourth book is sitting in my digital library as we speak, but I'm fearing this'll end up as another Black Clover where the appeal flies over me.

Casually enjoy, although my engagement started dropping during the Princess Iron Fan play. (Dragged too long for my tastes)

Rocky start aside, I ain't about to contest what's easily the funnest manga in the magazine today.

Not my cup of tea, but I acknowledge and respect the talent behind it. I just wish I liked the cast.

I'm all for anything with obvious One Punch Man influences, but I recall the opening chapters being trying really, really hard to be funny and it fell flat for me. Caught the last couple chapters and it's transitioned into a battle manga now? Don't care for the art, either.

Again, this'll have to do some heavy lifting to wash out the awful taste of the opening chapters. Out of everything I've dropped, this and Mashle might be the most likely for a second shot, but I don't exactly have high hopes. We'll see.

Now this I can get behind -- the concept's silly, but it is attention-grabbing and I'm already looking forward to how the protag'll get himself out of this latest jam.

I'd elaborate on everything else you didn't mention, but as far as stuff I do enjoy: Haikyuu's already set to end (and even then, I'm not a huge fan of how they initiated the timeskip), Yozakura's a humbling example of a mangaka going back and diligently researching the fundamentals of manga/comedy, and We Never Learn's cute whenever it's not flaunting teenage asses/chests in my face.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 2 - Alright, now it makes sense that it's web only, especially with that "yes, girls totally act like this to each other" thigh rub moment. I'm past the age of high school fanservice being appealing, but the art and action are still pretty good.

Act-Age 117 - Oh, I feel like an idiot. I didn't get that "she's playing young me" was referring to playing the same person at different ages. It's fun to see Yonagi so tilted, even if I'm not a huge fan of the reason.

Agravity Boys 25 - Eh chapter. I feel like it's spinning its wheels.

Black Clover 254 - Actual plan doesn't work -> screaming power up to win. At least Asta isn't coming in to save the day for the girls or anything.

Bone Collection 8 - The end of this chapter gives a real "rush to shift the story to be more appealing to readers" feeling.

Dr. Stone 155 - Vanilla extract acquired! It makes sense that Senku would already be familiar with Dr. Xeno if he was a major scientist.

Guardian of the Witch 19 (END) - RIP in pieces Guardian of the Witch. At least it went for an ending rather than "The adventure will continue!"

Jujutsu Kaisen 111 - Damn, did it really kill off all those characters like that? Now I haven't read the beginning, so I don't know what's the deal with these fingers; first time that's really been an issue.

Magu-chan 1 - This was pretty alright. It'll definitely live or die on the merits of its side characters, though.

Mission: Yozakura Family 40 - Huh, it's actually been a while since we saw the other family members. This was a fun chapter.

Mitama Security 41 - This was a pretty funny chapter. I thought things were heading for an ending, with that villain, but now not so much.

Moriking 9 - This series has really been brought up by its side characters. It's cute.

One Piece 983 - I feel like we skipped over a lot, with Big Mom no longer fighting Usopp and Chopper and their tank transforming off screen. I guess that's for the benefit of the anime. I have to say, it's nice to see Luffy have a serious fight with a woman. I feel like that's never happened before, not since the very beginning of the series at least.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 6 - Woah, jumping ahead a ton in time. I wonder of the mangaka will have to team up with the girl for the story now that the future Jump releases are no longer showing up. Also, didn't expect that part to stop already.

We Never Learn 163 - This was a cute chapter.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it is an action-comedy there's a bunch of those already, too. I'm missing more serious stories right now...

Oct 25, 2017
Define serious stories. Like which manga are you thinking? Because it's likely those manga had jokes and comedy too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Define serious stories. Like which manga are you thinking? Because it's likely those manga had jokes and comedy too.

Like, I would consider Demon Slayer to be more "serious". As in, it's not just trigger-happy action with jokes everywhere. Demon Slayer HAS light-hearted moments, but when the action is happening it's serious where characters can actually be killed. Out of all of their newer series (less than 100 chapters) that are current and not cancelled, only Chainsaw Man would be considered "serious". I would say Guardian of the Witch was, but that wasn't... the best story, unfortunately. Time Paradox would be more "serious" too, as it doesn't rely on jokes everywhere.

But right now we have:

Magu-chan
Ayakashi Triangle
Moriking
Bone Collection
Yozakura Family
Undead Unlock
Agravity Boys
Mitama

All along the lines of gag-y.

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I would consider Demon Slayer to be more "serious". As in, it's not just trigger-happy action with jokes everywhere. Demon Slayer HAS light-hearted moments, but when the action is happening it's serious where characters can actually be killed. Out of all of their newer series (less than 100 chapters) that are current and not cancelled, only Chainsaw Man would be considered "serious". I would say Guardian of the Witch was, but that wasn't... the best story, unfortunately. Time Paradox would be more "serious" too, as it doesn't rely on jokes everywhere.

I see. Well I'm sure they'll be optioning a bunch of demon killing series to fill the Kimetsu no Yaiba and Promised Neverland holes.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I see. Well I'm sure they'll be optioning a bunch of demon killing series to fill the Kimetsu no Yaiba and Promised Neverland holes.

(Made an edit above to show the bulk of current stuff) but it doesn't need to be yet another demon-hunting/exorcism either. I didn't equate serious to demons. Death Note well, ok, it had shinigami, but one way to make a serious story without the typical hunting monster part of it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

But right now we have:

Magu-chan
Ayakashi Triangle
Moriking
Bone Collection
Yozakura Family
Undead Unlock
Agravity Boys
Mitama

All along the lines of gag-y.
I wouldn't lump Undead Unluck with those. It's got a ton of action and interesting worldbuilding.

But you did forget Mashle, which only further serves to demonstrate your point lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't lump Undead Unluck with those. It's got a ton of action and interesting worldbuilding.

But you did forget Mashle, which only further serves to demonstrate your point lol

Oops yeah forgot to add Mashle. I'd still call Undead more an action-comedy rather than anything more serious. Not when you still have a ton of boob-grabs, boobs on skin sort of thing that is still reaching for those ecchi gags, regardless of world-building and everything.

But still, that's half of the entire lineupof WSJ and they are all within the past year or so. The fact that they are adding yet another comedic-based series and already I do enjoy some of the newer series, it's nice to keep fresh and a little more not relying so heavy on comedy.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Jump doesn't really run that many serious series in a tone of like Deathnote or Demon Slayer at a time. The bulk of their series are usually more in that light hearted action/adventure genre with comedic elements like One Piece or Dragon Ball. I'd say series like UU and Mashle fall into that category more then they do pure gag series.

Gag series usually there is no plot or the plot is a very basic framework as an excuse for jokes (Miitama and Moriking as examples). In the past Viz would never license these kinds of series past the 3 chapter jump start run (if they even did that for the ecchi series). I don't really think Jump has really had an excess of them in recent years, more that we're finally getting all of them fully localized and the general reaction might prove Viz was right to punt on most of them.

Still looking at the magazine as a whole on the series that are fairly serious you have JJK, TPGW, Haikyuu, Act-Age, and Chainsaw Man which make up 1/4 of the magazine. That doesn't include Black Clover, My Hero, and One Piece which are in the midst of some fairly serious big battles at the moment. Even in the newer series we've seen Mashle and M:YF have moments where things got really tense and dramatic (Mashle being tested by the principal, Mutsumi's kidnapping).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just some highlights from a few things this week (I guess today was a Japanese holiday?)

Ayakashi Triangle: Yup, more fan service

Chainsaw Man: Well, now we know who Makima is

Magu-Chan: I'm still enjoy this. The humor strikes a chord with me

Moriking: Ban[chou] (oh, I get the pun here) makes for an interesting rival

Spy x Family: Another great chapter. This series just never seizes to amaze me

Time Paradox: Something about this keeps me hooked, and just keeps throwing one cliffhanger after another

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Spy X Family 29
I think that was the best chapter in a while. So many great visual gags. Anya still has the best faces.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
A part of me was hoping that it wasn't just her imagination, going with Yor :p

I wonder how long in until one of them gets a hint of the others' occupation? Probably not until the climax I'm guessing, but I anticipate it.
I'm pretty sure if Yor was thinking all that, then Anya definitely saw it all with telepathy.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 3 - Well, we're definitely getting To-Love-Ru style absurd angles for sexy shots now. I will say that I appreciate how the characters themselves are handling this situation, though. Lead guy is alright staying in a girl's body, the love interest is alright getting romantically involved with her in a girl's body, and the love interest is just upset this was done against his will.

Act-Age 118 - Once again amazed a series like this exists in Jump. Looking forward to everyone living together without tech.

Agravity Boys 26 - Eh chapter.

Black Clover 255 - Didn't expect Noelle to be the target of a "I captured your girl, now get stronger and fight me again" thing.

Bone Collection 9 - This was a really weirdly paced chapter. It felt like it was meant to be two chapters but then they just got shoved together.

Dr. Stone 156 - Dr. Xeno knowing Senku's father feels like a bit much, but otherwise, this was a really nice flashback. Also I can totally believe NASA scientists talking about being thrown back to the Stone Age, and one scientist saying he'd conquer everyone.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 1 - As often mentioned in the Manga OT, this is a really badly timed series for US release. I might have enjoyed it more earlier, but I'm not in the mood for cops that break the rules to get results right now. It's a shame because the art is good and there were good gags, including the big Dolphin twist. There was fanservice, but I appreciate it's from an adult woman.

Jujutsu Kaisen 112 - Damn, even more deaths. Sukuna doesn't mess around. This was a neat chapter.

Magu-chan 2 - The childhood friend having to become Magu's follower to prevent him from revealing his crush is a fun development.

Mission: Yozakura Family 41 - OK, I was pretty alright with the semi-invisible guy in this chapter. It still feels off for the MC to be so strong, though.

Mitama Security 42 - They're really making good use of Holy Light Spirit Man for jokes.

Moriking 10 - This was another fun chapter. I'll have to see how the new characters are handled in the future.

My Hero Academia 276 - It was really setting up for Aizawa dying there. Hope he comes out of this alright. I liked how the combination of powers was used by the heroes.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 7 - OK, there's the big hook. I'll still have to see how this is handled.

We Never Learn 164 - Being Furuhashi is suffering.

Spy x Family 29 - This was a really fun chapter, the best in a while I'd say. That assassination imagination sequence was definitely the highlight.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 1 - As often mentioned in the Manga OT, this is a really badly timed series for US release. I might have enjoyed it more earlier, but I'm not in the mood for cops that break the rules to get results right now. It's a shame because the art is good and there were good gags, including the big Dolphin twist. There was fanservice, but I appreciate it's from an adult woman.

Forgot to comment on this. They are trying to have the style of like an 80s satirized buddy cop series. I was not expecting... the dolphin to be the buddy cop... I really thought it was referring to the little girl in the promo images (and I guess this was the surprise from it). The satire isn't bad, but it sure is bad timing for it. It does remind me of Otter11 from Bakuman.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ayakashi Triangle 3 - I could live without the fan service, but I'm still enjoying this well enough. I kinda like that the mc is content to be a girl forever. Wish that could happen without the love interest being like "no I need to change him back I can't be a lesbian" :/

Act-Age 118 - The "women are always catty rivals" thing is a frustrating angle for this arc to take. I am excited to see the 3 girls living together to try and mould this character.

Agravity Boys 26 - I had to look up what this chapter was about since it left no impact on me, that's all I have to say.

Black Clover 255 - WHY BRING BACK THOSE VILLAINS 4 CHAPTERS AGO JUST TO BLOW THEM UP NOW?! Black Clover doesn't have to be this frustrating.

Bone Collection 9 - Chapters like this show how close BoCo is to being a genuinely good series, but it's shitty leads and bad art really hurt it.

Dr. Stone 156 - I like the Xeno flashback, but his "if I ended up in the stone world I'd use science to conquer" was really ham fisted.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 1 - The dolphin twist made me laugh, but yeah bad time for a series about buddy cops who bend the rules to get the job done.

Jujutsu Kaisen 112 - I forgot just how dangerous Sukuna could be and why the initial premise was "Itadori you'll have to die to stop Sukuna in the end"

Magu-chan 2 - Childhood friend was the missing piece for this series. I felt chapter 1 beat the joke into the ground by the end but the dynamics worked great here.

Mission: Yozakura Family 41 - The action in this chapter is why I hope we move away from these chapter of the week stories and move back into longer arcs again. When MYF does the action it's really well done.

Mitama Security 42 - These aren't the balls she's looking for.

Moriking 10 - This series is too wholesome for jump, love the new rival.

My Hero Academia 276 - I doubt Aizawa will die, but I can see him losing his powers as a consequence of Deku and Bakugo ignoring the pros.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 7 - Twist/hook makes a lot of sense based upon whet we've seen so far. I do wish the lead would stop wallowing in self pity though.

We Never Learn 164 - Man this route has fallen completely flat for me. Had this happened in the canon ending it would have felt something. As it stands we KNOW she's going to win because it's her route so who cares.

Spy x Family 29 - Anya's face covered in blood had me rolling, amazing chapter.

Haikyu 399 - Surprised this isn't ending next chapter, 400 would be a nice round number and they can probably finish this match. Even if next week isn't the finale I don't expect this series to stay through the end of 2020.

Chainsaw Man 75 - Makima being the control devil makes a lot of sense and recontexualizes a lot of the series. That said seeing the gun devil massacre kids in a church on 9/12 I could have lived without :/

Undead Unluck 22 - This series has some of the most creative lore and best use of said lore that I've seen in awhile. All the negators being immune to the "everyone speaks english and doesn't remember anyone speaking other languages" is brilliant

Mashle 21 - I wish Lemon wasn't such a worthless female character, but the joke about her creepy possessed form still being attractive made me laugh harder then it should have.

MHA Vigilantes 80 - Ya know Compass Kid maybe you shouldn't use your powers when your alone with someone and you don't know who the mystery villain is, just a thought.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 4 - Yup, more crazy fanservice camera angles during mundane scenes. The story and art is good otherwise, I liked that flashback, and the new antagonist looks neat. Regarding the love interest wanting to change the hero back, I didn't read that as her being uncomfortable dating him in a female body, but rather her being upset this happened against his will.

Act-Age 119 - I liked the entire thing with Yonagi treating that child actor as a serious actor and leaving it up to her how to define the character's direction. I love all the backstory details here.

Agravity Boys 27 - I guess we're getting a soft reboot with this flashback arc. It'd be hilarious if the series shifts to being all about their academy days.

Black Clover 256 - I want this villain to be defeated by this, but I know he won't be.

Bone Collection 10 - Facing SS class demons already? I feel like there was an easier way to not break the ranking system this early... Lead girl was really obnoxious this chapter. Also, now that Ayakashi Triangle exists and is a fanservicey exorcist manga with better art and characters, I really don't see this lasting much longer.

Dr. Stone 157 - Oh yeah, Senku did send out that information about the birds. It makes sense that Dr. Xeno would pick up on this and investigate himself. So damn, his group is made up entirely of military, huh? Besides Luna I suppose.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 2 - OK, now that the series is focusing on weird marine animal criminals rather than humans, I'm way more into this.

Jujutsu Kaisen 113 - I forgot about their connection, so the ending came out of nowhere until I read more about it. Fight was cool regardless.

Magu-chan 3 - The new character seems pretty fun. His design is great at being both menacing and pathetic.

Me & Roboco 1 - There were some fun gags, like the "bullies" being too nice and his mom being TMI about her and his dad, but as an overall package, it didn't work for me. It really reminded me of Bakuman's gag manga arc, and I can just imagine the editor going, "This needs more gags."

Mission: Yozakura Family 42 - I liked the creepy older brother more here than in most chapters. The lead pulling up that guy in a diving suit was a good gag.

Mitama Security 43 - This was a nice dumb chapter. I liked everyone being willing to help out Rena.

Moriking 11 - This was an alright chapter. I liked the lead girl just leaving and committing to that.

My Hero Academia 277 - Good action here. One For All taking over Shigaraki is interesting, and I hadn't considered he wouldn't actually know who Shimura is. I'm surprised we're cutting away from the fight now.

One Piece 984 - Kaido's son is the big story of this chapter, of course. I'll have to wait and see how Oda handles him before celebrating, though. I'm especially concerned how the anime will handle him; you just know there will be a boob closeup when he reveals his true appearance.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 8 - The conversation between the hero and the future device was a bit frustrating, due to the lack of explanations (and I imagine there won't be a good justification for being so cryptic), but I enjoyed him struggling to figure out how to continue the story in a natural way.

We Never Learn 165 - This was a cute chapter. Good to see that Uruka isn't too visibly torn up about being dumped.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bone Collection 10 - Facing SS class demons already? I feel like there was an easier way to not break the ranking system this early... Lead girl was really obnoxious this chapter. Also, now that Ayakashi Triangle exists and is a fanservicey exorcist manga with better art and characters, I really don't see this lasting much longer.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 2 - OK, now that the series is focusing on weird marine animal criminals rather than humans, I'm way more into this.

Magu-chan 3 - The new character seems pretty fun. His design is great at being both menacing and pathetic.

Me & Roboco 1 - There were some fun gags, like the "bullies" being too nice and his mom being TMI about her and his dad, but as an overall package, it didn't work for me. It really reminded me of Bakuman's gag manga arc, and I can just imagine the editor going, "This needs more gags."

Mitama Security 43 - This was a nice dumb chapter. I liked everyone being willing to help out Rena.

(Just going to comment on these ones).

For Bone Collection, I can definitely see this one doing away with early. I really don't care for the art at ALL on this, and although Ayakashi is more fanservicey, the art is SO much better in it!

In Hard-Boiled Cop, the creature thing is interesting, I guess. So I guess buddy cop dolphin is dead, and that's why all the promo art shows the protag with the little girl?

Magu-Chan's new rival was amazing! Not sure what it is, but I love the idea of these demonic monsters just becoming these puny little guys, but with all the ego and confidence.

Roboco is well, you know I didn't hate it like I thought I would. It's the most gag-y of all the new series too, but I can see it being a quick fun, weekly read. And yeah, pretty sure the Bakuman editor is currently working right now on WSJ >_>

Mitama I'm just kind of waiting for it to end :/ I do not like this new light ball man gag at all. Does nothing and goes nowhere. I really thought the series was wrapping up, but now I just don't know.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Juni Taisen: Zodiac War

A short read from SJ's vault and honestly, it exceeded my expectations. Wanted something short to go through, and actually thought this was going to be more trashy like Killing Bites (after seeing stuff like Rabbit's 'outfit' on the cover) but the fan service was fairly minor from what I had thought. A ton of violence though, as to be expected. Although short, they got in the characters back stories, although brief, and their powers were pretty interesting too. It was really hard to say who would end up winning the battle, but the ending was satisfying.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Reaper Girl 1 - This was going alright... but they just had to make the lead guy a pedophile. And even though the lead woman is 28, they emphasized how much she looked like a teenager. I liked the art, but those just killed it for me. It reminds me of that one-shot from the Food Wars guy with the pedophile teacher fighting ghosts. Also, it's really weird that this is read left to right at the mangaka's request. Did he expect this to be more popular in the West?

Ayakashi Triangle 5 - I appreciate that the rival guy doesn't look down on the hero for being a girl, but rather just thinks he's weak for caring more about turning back to normal than getting rid of a dangerous ayakashi. I feel this would be better without the fanservice focus.

Act-Age 120 - Satsuki having trouble playing a character in a non-cutesy way makes sense. I appreciate the detail they go into about iterating their roles.

Agravity Boys 28 - Eh chapter. The intended absurdity didn't land with me.

Black Clover 257 - I'd be fine with this king guy dying here so that woman can be the villain, even if I'm not enthusiastic about her anyway.

Bone Collection 11 - Yeah, I can really tell the art is pretty weak in this series with this chapter. This really feels like a desperate attempt to make things more interesting with training and a villain organization.

Dr. Stone 158 - Even with a platinum ring, proceeding to build a castle seems like a bit much in the time frame. Interesting that Xeno and the sniper are childhood friends; I guess it mirrors Senku and Taiju. I'm surprised the gig is up about Dr. Taiju already. I'm glad they were able to figure out that the message itself isn't as important as the timing; I appreciate how intelligent the characters are here.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 3 - This was a fun chapter, though I don't get the octopus guy's deal, since it didn't explain how he actually works.

Jujutsu Kaisen 114 - These are characters that I hadn't seen much of since the time Jump became free in the US, but they seem fun. Good chapter.

Magu-chan 4 - This was a cute chapter. Magu's human disguise made me laugh.

Mission: Yozakura Family 43 - This was a good chapter, though the gag about "why is the guard violent too?!" really shows the Japanese perspective on prisons, lol.

Mitama Security 44 - This was a potentially fun concept, having the spirits do things but Soya not being able to tell what, but it didn't really land. That was a cute ending, though.

Moriking 12 - Having another contest right away felt odd, even if they lampshade this, but I found it more entertaining than the last chapter.

Spy x Family 29.1 - Just a color spread and another image, but it's nice.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 9 - Wait, they just jumped ahead? I really thought the lead struggling to figure out where to go next with the story would be a bigger deal.

We Never Learn 166 - The aquarium sequence was cute. Are we maybe coming to the end of this ending?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I will say about Ghost Reaper Girl, I didn't find it as skeevy as some of the stuff I've seen said about it made it out to be. The scythe guy, yeah, very bad. The outfit, also bad. But outside of that? Her being nearly 30 is nice, even if she doesn't look it. The commentary on sexual harassment in the entertainment industry was nice, as was her talking about consent (even if briefly in a bit of a comic context). IDK, I think there's potential.