• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really enjoyed Kengan Ashura when I went through the entire series after watching the admittedly subpar anime adaptation. Its just a gigantic tournmanet arc but the characters were interesting, there wasn't a lot of plot armor and it was an exciting read with a lot of twists and turns for a martial arts story. Kengan Omega has been ok by its really brought down by all this Worm bull shit. It was interesting at first as it added another layer to the world but this is just getting silly. Doesn't help the entire Purgatory angle has been a let down with the vast majority of the fighters being one note gimmicks or just boring in general. Things have picked up now that shit is finally hitting the fan but I'm still left cold by the direction the series has taken including side lining the main characters of Omega.
Yeah, the Worm plot sucks and is just really stupid in general. I still enjoy Omega a good bit, but the tournament has been a let down.

It doesn't help that most of the strongest guys in Purgatory were just there to job and make Team Kengan look good. Jurota, Toa, and Lu Tian were completely wasted, and then you have Terashi and Yumigahara being clowns who couldn't even put up a fight.

I liked Carlos, Falcon, and Liu, though. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just look at how many series in the last ten years didn't make it to 20 chapters

g3rwm60lw2m21.jpg

I'm utterly baffled at how little of popular are. Do WSJ not care about "pass to the torch" thing for the popularity next to Big 3s anymore?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boy's Abyss 68

Haha.

Hahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is the most fucked up harem I've ever seen. They are need to be in jail or therapy.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Boy's Trash 68

laughing-tom-cruise.gif

This shit is hilarious

Kaguya 238

I almost packed and sent to Fed Ex lol.

I guess it is finally happening.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm utterly baffled at how little of popular are. Do WSJ not care about "pass to the torch" thing for the popularity next to Big 3s anymore?
dont really understand your question

especially in the context that, the recent longer series that exploded are already ended (Demon slayer only got big when it was already in the final arc), Chainsaw Man, and Jujutsu Kaisen may be in the sunsetting stage as well, HeroAca is concluding...by the time series are getting an anime, meaning a chance to go big, they are already mature and ending. Even if new things like Elusive Samurai gets big, it doesnt really seem like it is something to last real long, especially since AssClass didnt even reach 30volumes.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Red Hood 1-11
I can see why this series is dead. Huge pacing shift between the first and second half. It doesn't help that I don't understand what's going on.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Worm plot sucks and is just really stupid in general. I still enjoy Omega a good bit, but the tournament has been a let down.

It doesn't help that most of the strongest guys in Purgatory were just there to job and make Team Kengan look good. Jurota, Toa, and Lu Tian were completely wasted, and then you have Terashi and Yumigahara being clowns who couldn't even put up a fight.

I liked Carlos, Falcon, and Liu, though. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

I actually like several of the Purgatory fighters like Jurota but the entire tournament set up means by the time we actually get to know them the fights over and they're out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Red Hood 1-11
I can see why this series is dead. Huge pacing shift between the first and second half. It doesn't help that I don't understand what's going on.

As a prequel start, it was pretty interesting, but the shift to a generic "need to get a license for this specialty title" and then dumping on a ton of new characters and throwing in challenges just.... doesn't work. I really thought where this series would head, is that there would be the master and apprentice, teaching/learning, and travelling the lands and fighting new fairy tale creatures. I didn't get that, and this cops and robbers training is a snooze-fest :/

Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood 1-11
series would have been immensely better if the first arc was just condensed to three chapters like most series do.

also velou had no personality before the current game of cops, so that was a major problem as well

Oct 26, 2017
Boys trash latest

This must be what substance abuse is like right?

Like I know this is trash and I have better things to read but like a fucked up siren that calls me back

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Red Hood 1-11

Yeah, the pacing went from too slow to too fast, likely due to the bad reception it got early and the author trying to rush to the "good bits".

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018

Is it finally time for an anime?

EDIT: Looks like it is not time for an anime.

The new projects for Mission: Yozakura Family revealed:
1.The first Character Popularity Poll for the series
2. Characters relationship and highlights chart
3. Gaiden extra released on Jump and Jump+
4. a voice calendar will be released daily
5. 4 new drama episodes with new cast
6. New merch for the series
7. Popup shop at Shibuya tower records
8. Panel Exhibition
9. Wallpapers
10. volume 10 Release

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird. 100 chapters in and a bunch of promotions but anime? Nahhhhh!
This post reminds me (though it seems it's still not at 100 chapters as I didn't continue reading it)

Where the heck is the Dungeon Meshi anime?
myanimelist.net

Dungeon Meshi

After the Golden Kingdom is sunk underground by an insane magician, its king emerges, promising all of his treasure to any who defeat the magician, before crumbling to dust. Guilds are spurred on by this promise, traversing the labyrinthine dungeon in search of the magician. Laios, the leader of...

I stopped reading it figuring it would be getting an anime not too long after I started reading it a few years ago lol.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
It used to be extremely readable trash.

I don't know what the hell this is anymore. The amount of insane shit happening in the last 10-15 chapters is enough for at least three years of a daytime soap opera.
Yeah, shit has gotten even worse than I thought possible. I am curious just what the heck is gonna happen now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i had a weird thought, but what's a shonen series where the core cast feel more like a group of friends, and what's a series where they feel like coworkers?

was just thinking about naruto, jujutsu kaisen, bleach et al and how a lot of them are like 'we have to hang out now because of magic cirumstance'. obvs a lot of them become friends eventually but like naruto in particular has a kinda coworker vibe almost throughout the entirety of the series (even though everyone is always screaming about nakama)

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
This post reminds me (though it seems it's still not at 100 chapters as I didn't continue reading it)

myanimelist.net

Dungeon Meshi

After the Golden Kingdom is sunk underground by an insane magician, its king emerges, promising all of his treasure to any who defeat the magician, before crumbling to dust. Guilds are spurred on by this promise, traversing the labyrinthine dungeon in search of the magician. Laios, the leader of...

I stopped reading it figuring it would be getting an anime not too long after I started reading it a few years ago lol.

I hope it will come. Because it's apparently reaching its story climax..
The Dungeon Meshi manga PV by Trigger looked so good but it only made me saltier :(

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
but what's a shonen series where the core cast feel more like a group of friends

Fairy Tail and One Piece, although both go further than friends and feel more like a makeshift family

what's a series where they feel like coworkers

JJK definitely gives off this vibe I won't lie

Those Jujutsu Scrolls in the anime adaptation were very welcome because it gave a much needed levity the series often didn't make much time for due to its fast pacing

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy's Abyss 68

Me: "Man this guy is so gay for Reiji it's unbeilvable. I'm sure, like most manga, it'll never amount to more than hints though."

*scrolls through a few more pages* Me: "…!"

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's so weird. 100 chapters in and a bunch of promotions but anime? Nahhhhh!

Someone reminded me that covid pushed a lot of anime projects back, and that anime projects can be planned years in advance. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not until mid 2022 that we start seeing animes announced more regularly again.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Dont reach much manga outside OPM and DBS. I know the Murata redraws have an erratic schedule but this seems like the longest we've gone, at least going by the Shonen Jump app. Has something happened or this just abnormal?
Looks like Murata tweeted about circumstances causing a delay. But directed a short in the meantime.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Huh, Kengan Ashura/Omega seems like it might be getting an official release soon.

The translation team who picked it up a few months ago is already shutting down, they're hinting that something's getting announced next week and that's why they're stopping. Could be why the last group stopped too.

I wonder how that's gonna work since Ashura and Omega are like 400 chapters long combined and counting. I figured it would be a Kingdom situation where no one would ever bother picking that up.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
i had a weird thought, but what's a shonen series where the core cast feel more like a group of friends, and what's a series where they feel like coworkers?

was just thinking about naruto, jujutsu kaisen, bleach et al and how a lot of them are like 'we have to hang out now because of magic cirumstance'. obvs a lot of them become friends eventually but like naruto in particular has a kinda coworker vibe almost throughout the entirety of the series (even though everyone is always screaming about nakama)
Eyeshield 21 sorta does both? Like, Senna and Monta feel like friends, and so are a few of the others, but also Hiruma is the terrifying nightmare boss from hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Red Hood 1-11
But it's not at all complicated....and how can you have 2 halves of an incomplete series that's just starting??

They feel like good friends 100% in One Piece. In fact, it's why I always though Luffy vs Usopp was significantly more powerful than any of the Naruto vs Sasuke fights, because their friendship was that much stronger (also the fact that Luffy didn't appear like he was trying to kill Usopp as he recognized their vast power difference, unlike Naruto and Sasuke not holding back at all, which I always thought was ridiculous)

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not at all complicated....and how can you have 2 halves of an incomplete series that's just starting??

They feel like good friends 100% in One Piece. In fact, it's why I always though Luffy vs Usopp was significantly more powerful than any of the Naruto vs Sasuke fights, because their friendship was that much stronger (also the fact that Luffy didn't appear like he was trying to kill Usopp as he recognized their vast power difference, unlike Naruto and Sasuke not holding back at all, which I always thought was ridiculous)
I meant in terms of all the characters and reveals going on. Hard to keep track of it. And by first half I meant first five chapters, or the first arc.

One Piece for sure

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Probably good. Series really fell off for me when it stopped being about village upgrade sim. There was some interesting points past that like when they had the medusa stuff happen but overall I feel like the series mostly tried to escalate the science projects instead of focusing on the small build up and the characters.
In a way my misgivings are similar to how Food Wars squandered itself by focusing on the cooking battles vs the character work. That said at least in Dr Stone the escalation fits a lot better with the general tone of the series so even if it gets super ridiculous it still fits unlike chainsaw cooking in food wars.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
myanimelist.net

Dungeon Meshi

according to rumours the author wants to finish the manga first, or doesn't want the pressure of an anime while working on the manga.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
The thing that I find baffling about Red Hood is that even though the beginning was slow, it had interesting components. The cool werewolf designs, the witch girl and the mysterious evil organization, the crazy hunter tools and weapons, the hermit crab tank thing, the stuff with the mayor. Yeah it was slow but they were building out an interesting world. This training arc has just been a snooze. There are so many characters being thrown at you and there's just very little reason to care about them. Why are we watching randoms fight indoors instead of hunting more fairy tale monsters? What happened to the werewolves and cool hunter gizmos? It also doesn't help that Velou doesn't have much of a personality and hasn't been given much of a chance to shine. Hell, the entire last chapter he was locked up while a bunch of people I can't keep straight and have no reason to care about fight indoors and negotiate with each other. Very weird.

Even with the slow pacing I think if there was more of an emphasis on the whole hunting fairy tale monstrosities theme it could have taken off more. It's just boring now. I'm kind of expecting it to go the way of Candy Flurry with the witch girl and werewolf interrupting the end of the training, our heroes fight them off to earn their hunter's license, and then everyone rides off into the sunset.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
according to rumours the author wants to finish the manga first, or doesn't want the pressure of an anime while working on the manga.
That's totally fair. Though doesn't change that I want one.
Ideally that means that once it gets one the author will be more involved than normal with the adaption as especially with comedy sometimes jokes need to be changed for timing and working with the original creator can help... though it can also hurt :P