• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything that came out of Shingo's mouth was utter garbage, as well as Kensuke espousing some real misogynistic bullshit.
Theres also the whole using sexual abuse trauma as an excuse for homophobia, and Shingo's entire "Well aren't you the real bigots for not tolerating his intolerance?" argument.
Yeah, what they said was pretty bad, but I didn't see it as an endorsement from the mangaka on those views, just what someone like them might say in that situation. Did it sour you on the rest of the manga because it changed how you saw some other scenes, or was it more of an isolated accident?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dandadan #25

MV5BMTY0OTQ3MzE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQyMzMzMg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Finished reading it on kindle unlimited a while back and I was very amused to see once I finished it their is a sequel series with about as many volumes.
Yeah, looks like another 26 volumes that just finished last year. For the time being I have plenty to read for now lol but hopefully these volumes get translated soon, especially if that live-action show catches on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
spy x family 53

why don't I have an officially confirmed anime adaption to this yet. I'm currently reading the end of what I assume is season 2.... so let me start looking forward to season 1 already so I can talk about this great series to more people. (I assume season 1 will end with them getting a dog)

with a year between seasons, and given the anime isn't officially announced yet I imagine it won't air until fall 2022 which means I won't be watching this stuff animated until December 2023 or so :(

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
spy x family 53

why don't I have an officially confirmed anime adaption to this yet. I'm currently reading the end of what I assume is season 2.... so let me start looking forward to season 1 already so I can talk about this great series to more people. (I assume season 1 will end with them getting a dog)

with a year between seasons, and given the anime isn't officially announced yet I imagine it won't air until fall 2022 which means I won't be watching this stuff animated until December 2023 or so :(
Where do you think S1 would end?

When Loid meets his target for the very first time?

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I read a few chapters of it a while back, it's a fun read on how it turns wine tasting into an adventure...I'm pleasantly surprised it's getting an international live-action adaptation, really hoping it turns out well.

variety.com

‘Drops of God’ U.S.-Franco-Japanese Manga Adaptation Begins Production (EXCLUSIVE)

‘Drops of God,’ a multinational, multi-lingual Manga adaptation begins filming for Legendary Television, Dynamic Television and Hulu Japan.
The manga was insanely popular in France, so this international LA doesn't surprise me that much.

It doesn't fare that well in the face of the current manga boom, but it was one of the most popular manga that started in the 00s.
Something like
1- Fairy Tail
2- Death Note
3- Fullmetal Alchemist
4- Bleach
5- Drops of Gods

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you think S1 would end?

When Loid meets his target for the very first time?
I said it in () in my post, but I think it will end with the arc where they get the dog.
It ends up being a much bigger deal than expected, and would likely result in the first multi-episode story, and be a solid place to end the first season, and if I recall right it's around 23/24 which will allow 2 chapters per episode, which is a good pace for anime, especially since these are longer chapters than weekly manga. If you wanted to continue a little bit beyond you could, but the stuff that happens right after picks up and recaps the dog arc nicely so would be great to pick up with a year later.

this current arc would actually do more than 2 chapters per episode to get to/through, but it also has had a lot of action panels to get here. Though I could also see them doing a second season and adapting some of the .5 chapters as episodes and stopping before the current arc, and just doing a movie for the current arc instead given the length.

If they did that though.... it wouldn't be until 2024 when I got to see Yor doing boat stuff :(

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, my reading comprehension sucks sometimes.
It's all good. I don't read a ton of manga, but it's always fun reading something and sitting around waiting for it to get an anime knowing that once it does it's going to explode in popularity.

Last time I was sitting around like this was with Kaguya ~Love is War~

I'm hoping that once Oshi No Ko gets an anime it too will explode, but I'm not as confident in that one. It will be aided by being connected to Kaguya though. I'm still utterly confused why Oshi No Ko doesn't have an official english release for the current chapters (it does maybe have one for the early chapters now, seems it may have started in may of this year)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Hello,
Is "To Your Eternity - Fumetsu no Anata e" worth watching?

Did you read it already? (Had to check which topic I was under) The first season starts strong, a little repetitive (for a reason), and the last arc is the most boring one by most people. When S2 comes out next year, is when things start getting interesting again. It depends if you want to go in, knowing S1 ends on a bad arc, but it's not representative of the rest of where the story is headed, and lots of major stuff changes things in S2.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what they said was pretty bad, but I didn't see it as an endorsement from the mangaka on those views, just what someone like them might say in that situation. Did it sour you on the rest of the manga because it changed how you saw some other scenes, or was it more of an isolated accident?
It soured me because up until that point it had handled LGBTQ+ issues fairly well, and then completely put it's foot in its mouth that whole chapter. There was no pushback or refutation of what Shingo or Kensuke said except for the two characters that Shingo spent the entire chapter talking down to. There's also the
extremely problematic issue of tying gay men up with the sexual abuse of children, and the fact that they trot that out as some kind of gotcha moment while characters are pushing back against homophobia. It's never brought up again or examined any further other than being an excuse for bigotry.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family - 1-8.5

This is one of the best series I've ever read, unbelievable that I put it off for so long. Also a way bigger influence on Sakamoto Days than I realized.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Dandadan 25

This is definitely my favorite ongoing series I've been reading. The way it effortlessly switches between action, comedy, and some tender moments is really enjoyable. Now that we are setting up for Aliens vs Spirits I'm excited to see where it goes next! The characters are all so great and likable and the art is really good.

Watakoi: Love is Hard For Otaku 1-12

I started reading this solely because the anime OP popped up on YouTube and it's super catchy and the series seemed cute. I'm really enjoying this! The fact that the characters just start in relationships immediately instead of dancing around for the entire series is a nice change of pace. What I've read was really funny and cute. It also made me realize I haven't been exposed to a lot of romance and/or slice of life stuff that's about young adults in the workforce and I'm really enjoying that component - seems like most of the series in those genres are about students and teens. Can anyone recommend some similar series about office life for when I finish this?

Last edited:

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
It soured me because up until that point it had handled LGBTQ+ issues fairly well, and then completely put it's foot in its mouth that whole chapter. There was no pushback or refutation of what Shingo or Kensuke said except for the two characters that Shingo spent the entire chapter talking down to. There's also the
extremely problematic issue of tying gay men up with the sexual abuse of children, and the fact that they trot that out as some kind of gotcha moment while characters are pushing back against homophobia. It's never brought up again or examined any further other than being an excuse for bigotry.
That's fair, thanks for the explanation

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I started reading this solely because the anime OP popped up on YouTube and it's super catchy and the series seemed cute. I'm really enjoying this! The fact that the characters just start in relationships immediately instead of dancing around for the entire series is a nice change of pace. What I've read was really funny and cute. It also made me realize I haven't been exposed to a lot of romance and/or slice of life stuff that's about young adults in the workforce and I'm really enjoying that component - seems like most of the series in those genres are about students and teens. Can anyone recommend some similar series about office life for when I finish this?

I love these, but I also have a hard time looking for stuff. I mostly read yuri, so the two that come to mind immediately are How Do We Relationship? by Tamifull (the eng is good despite the idiosyncratic name) which is based mostly in Uni and After Hours by Yuhta Nishio, though I think it's better at the start than the end. Would appreciate more het recs as well since I like the genre.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dandadan 25

This is definitely my favorite ongoing series I've been reading. The way it effortlessly switches between action, comedy, and some tender moments is really enjoyable. Now that we are setting up for Aliens vs Spirits I'm excited to see where it goes next! The characters are all so great and likable and the art is really good.

Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - About 2 coworkers that are secretly dating
Ice Guy and the Cool Female Colleague - They aren't dating but it's really sweet. The twist is that the guy has ice powers in a world where supernatural beings are accepted
Awkward Senpai - Also not dating and I didn't read too much of this one but I remember liking what I did read

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017

I always like to recommend Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni. It's mostly about living together, but after like 10 chapters it introduces the workplaces. The two MCs in the relationship don't work in the same place though, so it may not be what you're looking for exactly

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
After Hours by Yuhta Nishio, though I think it's better at the start than the end. Would appreciate more het recs as well since I like the genre.
I'd agree with this, After Hours first volume is incredibly strong and it doesn't really deliver past that. Its more like it splutters out than ends.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Apparently PPPPPP is getting killed in the Japanese J+ comments section according to someone I talked to. The comments are criticizing the art and premise, along with pointing out the author apparently got things factually wrong like citing a famous Mozart piece by the wrong name.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently PPPPPP is getting killed in the Japanese J+ comments section according to someone I talked to. The comments are criticizing the art and premise, along with pointing out the author apparently got things factually wrong like citing a famous Mozart piece by the wrong name.

*whew* I'm going to guess this was a passion-piece for the mangaka, but they didn't do much research into it?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Add another one to the pile alongside Red Hood and Neru, I guess

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
That magazine is all over the place.
March Comes in Like a Lion next to garbage smutty mangas.
The cover for the issue that comes out later this week really highlights the disconnect:
HknbRO7.jpg

Umino most likely only chose it because she became friends with Miura during the H&C days.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I guess Neru and Red Hood are not long for this world....

Is this level of turnover normal? I used to just read a couple series here and there, I only started following Jump more closely maybe 1.5 years ago. I guess Elusive Samurai and Blue Box are pretty recent and seem safe. I was hoping Neru could stick around. Feels bad to start getting invested in a series that ends up on the chopping block.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Is this level of turnover normal? I used to just read a couple series here and there, I only started following Jump more closely maybe 1.5 years ago. I guess Elusive Samurai and Blue Box are pretty recent and seem safe. I was hoping Neru could stick around. Feels bad to start getting invested in a series that ends up on the chopping block.
Jumps method of throwing shit at the wall and keeping what sticks is usually what they do nowadays. It's netted them decent series so I don't imagine it will stop

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Yes, in an average year of Jump half the new manga are canceled before they reach one year of serialization. Most of them are canceled around the 20 chapter mark. It's new to a lot of western readers because for a long time we wouldn't get these series in English until they were already established hits. If you look through the list of Jump manga from any period of the magazines history you'll see tons of series that ended super quickly.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People on Twitter REALLY seem to love Red Hood. I keep seeing a "give it a chance" comments and like, I did since day 1! Just like big fans of Samurai 8 online, it's just not something the majority enjoys (especially in Japan, where it's the only place that matters).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man... I really like Red Hood *and* Neru lmao. Unlike a lot of recent new series, really felt like they had a strong core concept and idea of what they wanted to do (Red Hood moreso before the message clearly got sent to pick up the pace or else).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Man... I really like Red Hood *and* Neru lmao. Unlike a lot of recent new series, really felt like they had a strong core concept and idea of what they wanted to do (Red Hood moreso before the message clearly got sent to pick up the pace or else).
The fact Neru isn't accelerating gives me a little hope at least

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018

Just look at how many series in the last ten years didn't make it to 20 chapters

g3rwm60lw2m21.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in an average year of Jump half the new manga are canceled before they reach one year of serialization. Most of them are canceled around the 20 chapter mark. It's new to a lot of western readers because for a long time we wouldn't get these series in English until they were already established hits. If you look through the list of Jump manga from any period of the magazines history you'll see tons of series that ended super quickly.
also not a business practice exclusive to shonen jump or shuiesha in general.

Most painful when monthly series end before getting a third volume :(

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Kaguya 238

Iino finally gets what she wanted. I was kinda hoping Ishigami would be partnered up with Maki for the dance but this is good too. Hope we get a twist on the training chapters in preparation.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
www.animenewsnetwork.com

I Think Our Son Is Gay Manga Listed as Ending in 4th Volume

4th volume ships on November 22 // Several Japanese retailers are listing that the fourth compiled book volume of Okura's I Think Our Son Is Gay (Uchi no Musuko...

Several Japanese retailers are listing that the fourth compiled book volume of Okura's I Think Our Son Is Gay (Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay) manga will be the final volume. The volume will ship on November 22.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 238

As much as I like IshiMiko finally setting sail, we need justice for Maki. It's just sad at this point.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
While I feel I'm not quite as down on it as other are, there's just not enough actual conflict in Dr. Stone anymore.

The subplot of Chrome wanting to save his mentor is pretty okay, but there's no actual danger currently present.

Hoping there's gonna be a swerve soon, cause boy does it need it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Kengan Ashura when I went through the entire series after watching the admittedly subpar anime adaptation. Its just a gigantic tournmanet arc but the characters were interesting, there wasn't a lot of plot armor and it was an exciting read with a lot of twists and turns for a martial arts story. Kengan Omega has been ok by its really brought down by all this Worm bull shit. It was interesting at first as it added another layer to the world but this is just getting silly. Doesn't help the entire Purgatory angle has been a let down with the vast majority of the fighters being one note gimmicks or just boring in general. Things have picked up now that shit is finally hitting the fan but I'm still left cold by the direction the series has taken including side lining the main characters of Omega.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Kaguya 238

Finally! As much I savour every Maki's suffering, I hope she finally moves on too eventually. And I can't wait to see Fujiwara realizes she's the third wheel of the student council couples.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I feel I'm not quite as down on it as other are, there's just not enough actual conflict in Dr. Stone anymore.

The subplot of Chrome wanting to save his mentor is pretty okay, but there's no actual danger currently present.

Hoping there's gonna be a swerve soon, cause boy does it need it.
Last time I checked in (like 3 months ago), Whyman was a threat on the moon. Is that already over?