• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 207

Aw I teared up, super relatable having a brother that you just wanna spend time with. Glad Sai is coming.

Blue Box 17

would have upped the drama and made this happen during the tournament. Still way too soon for this drama for hina.

Sakamoto Days 35

Should have been two chapters just to see more of what they were capable of and how they won as much. Oh well.

Mash 73

This was actually sweet and sentimental especially there at the end.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I just started reading this, because it was the opposite of your typical romcom.

If you're still reading it, can you tell me if it introduces a love rival =/= love triangle?
In the first chapter, yes.

Candy Flurry

There's something very depressing about last chapters of an axed manga. RIP.

Blue Box

Like, I imagine this has got plenty of life ahead of itself given sales but when I see the "childhood friend being fed to lions" arc on chapter 17 already, I struggle to imagine the story stretching beyond 40th-50th issue.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blue box doesnt need to be long, a 50-80 chapter manga is enough
also we still barely saw anything of the FMC

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sakamoto Days is probably my favorite recent addition. Where else do you get a story about resolving a dispute with the Triad over a game of Old Maid?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Elusive Samurai:

This has been bugging me, but why does Hoshina look like his beard was drawn by somebody who's never seen facial hair, only had it described to them?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's kinda sad watching Candy Flurry flounder all the way to it's inevitable axe. It's gonna be tonally inconsistent and badly executed straight to the end.

And as much as I want to enjoy it, yeah, Red Hood's probably not gonna last. It's got some good ideas, but it's too amateurish. The TOC should give us a clear answer before much longer.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad watching Candy Flurry flounder all the way to it's inevitable axe. It's gonna be tonally inconsistent and badly executed straight to the end.

And as much as I want to enjoy it, yeah, Red Hood's probably not gonna last. It's got some good ideas, but it's too amateurish. The TOC should give us a clear answer before much longer.
you say that but it has been the most viewed recent manga in plus and most upvoted one in reddit

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that matters if Japan doesn't like it. It'd rather that it survive, but we'll see.
we have no clue about how japan thinks about it until volume sales

also more often than not japan shares the same opinion that the west does
i find it difficult to believe that Red Hood is somehow way more beloved and liked than Blue Box or Chainsawman.

I dont think I would put much stock in Mangaplus viewcounts.
csm is recent how?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Neru is really excellent, I'm enjoying it a lot. And Blue Box is probably my favorite weekly series right now. The art is fantastic! The coming love triangle seemed obvious and I'm good with it. Just a nice wholesome series.

Sadly I agree with the criticisms of Red Hood. It has a lot of cool concepts, and I want to like it, but its just not really gripping me. The pacing feels off or something.

I haven't been as down on Candy Flurry as others, and I thought this was a good chapter, but yeah the writing was on the wall. Kinda sad since it feels like there was potential there.

Also gotta say…Jujutsu Kaisen really hasn't been doing much for me for a while now. It's been kind of meandering since the end of the Shibuya Incident arc which was sooo good and exciting. I kind of figured the story would jump straight to operation save Gojo. A lot of the main cast has been missing for a while now. It's not really clear to me what the point of this fighting ring story is or why I should care about it.

Oct 25, 2017
we have no clue about how japan thinks about it until volume sales

also more often than not japan shares the same opinion that the west does

csm is recent how?
Sorry but I dont know why you just mention that but say nothing of Blue Box.

Regardless, I just pointed out CSM in that as well as it is just an example that one shouldnt use its view counts to assert popularity when even popular things there just have low counts, and also I was sure Mangaplus actually keeps resetting view counts . (see viewcounts of historical series https://www.reddit.com/r/Samurai8/comments/eu9s6a/view_counts_for_samurai_8_and_currently_running/ )

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but I dont know why you just mention that but say nothing of Blue Box.

Regardless, I just pointed out CSM in that as well as it is just an example that one shouldnt use its view counts to assert popularity when even popular things there just have low counts, and also I was sure Mangaplus actually keeps resetting view counts . (see viewcounts of historical series https://www.reddit.com/r/Samurai8/comments/eu9s6a/view_counts_for_samurai_8_and_currently_running/ )
I know viewership resets, red hood still has good viewership for now and has good engagement in western social media, that is my point

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MHA actually moved me this week. That was an amazing chapter. Same with One Piece, but that tends be at the top tier every week.
Sadly I agree with the criticisms of Red Hood. It has a lot of cool concepts, and I want to like it, but its just not really gripping me. The pacing feels off or something.

I haven't been as down on Candy Flurry as others, and I thought this was a good chapter, but yeah the writing was on the wall. Kinda sad since it feels like there was potential there.
Yeah, this whole chapter of red hood felt off overall and the only thing that really made me perk up was the stinger at the end. I don't think it'll be headed to the chopping block any time soon, but...

Candy Flurry's cutting has been known for some time. Nice to see it reach some sort of thematic conclusion, but with as much stuff crammed into this chapter alone, you can tell it's nearing the end.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about when a series is about to get cancelled is when it clearly starts scrambling for anything to keep it afloat, which ironically just makes it look even more likelier that it'll get cancelled

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Speculating on how well new Jump series will do is pointless until we have like 4-5 weeks of chapter rankings (to see if it cratered quickly) and volume sales (to see if it sold terribly).

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah, glad they decided to put up the full series right away for Dandadan. I'm guessing they were in the process of translating the backlogged chapters when they announced the timeframe for the English release.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Also gotta say…Jujutsu Kaisen really hasn't been doing much for me for a while now. It's been kind of meandering since the end of the Shibuya Incident arc which was sooo good and exciting. I kind of figured the story would jump straight to operation save Gojo. A lot of the main cast has been missing for a while now. It's not really clear to me what the point of this fighting ring story is or why I should care about it.

The series was pretty on top of what to expect after Shibuya which is the culling game and these arcs are the lead up to/prep for the culling game. The fight club mini arc is about recruiting an incredibly powerful CT user to help in the culling game.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah, glad they decided to put up the full series right away for Dandadan. I'm guessing they were in the process of translating the backlogged chapters when they announced the timeframe for the English release.
I would hope they were further along since the announcement was only Thursday. I cant imagine wishing anyone the task of translating and then lettering 21 chapters in three days.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dandadan 1

What the hell was that, no idea where this series is going outside of the obvious romance subplot.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
"What the hell was that" is always a better reaction to a first chapter than "Yeah seems fine I guess."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hajime No Ippo 1209

I got hit with the feels. This manga should've ended at this point but apparently it went on for four more years and it still goes on? lol. The author is about to do something extremely stupid I imagine.

I remember when the Woli fight was happening and a bunch of people on the GameFAQs forums who weren't following the manga (myself included) started following along because of how stupid it was. We made Wall-E jokes, posted Woli faces as troll faces, etc. Good times.
lol I didn't realize it became a meme at the time. It's such a dumb fight and idea, a near jump the shark moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Dandadan 1-21

Whew, this has been a trip so far. Spirits and aliens, missing genitals, crazy powers, an old lady that does not look her age, definitely feels like a series where anything can happen.
Seems since the series is marked as 18+ only, they can get away with dropping F-bombs.
Translation is odd in spots. Like, what's "Turbo Granny's" Japanese name? I thought it was a nickname at first, but then they kept saying it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dandadan 1-21

Whew, this has been a trip so far. Spirits and aliens, missing genitals, crazy powers, an old lady that does not look her age, definitely feels like a series where anything can happen.
Seems since the series is marked as 18+ only, they can get away with dropping F-bombs.
Translation is odd in spots. Like, what's "Turbo Granny's" Japanese name? I thought it was a nickname at first, but then they kept saying it.
"Turbo Granny" is a literal translation. It's the actual name of the yokai, they borrowed the English word "turbo" lol

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Revengers

What a shock, this thing I heard was good is good. I really enjoyed the anime and finally decided to bite the bullet and read. Boy people were not kidding about those twists. There were a couple I saw coming a mile away, but even those were still satisfying to see play out.

What I didn't expect was for Takamitchy to grow on me. He starts as kind of a nothing character, but he's got so many good moments later on that I couldn't help but cheer for him. Ironically, the fights kinda suck but the characters are usually entertaining enough that I simply enjoy seeing them do stuff.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dandadan 2-21

Yeah I get why this seris has been getting a lot of hype. It's a little raunchy and the first chapter does give a bad impression, but the leads are all really entertaining and the action & comedy have both been on point.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Tokyo Revengers

What a shock, this thing I heard was good is good. I really enjoyed the anime and finally decided to bite the bullet and read. Boy people were not kidding about those twists. There were a couple I saw coming a mile away, but even those were still satisfying to see play out.

What I didn't expect was for Takamitchy to grow on me. He starts as kind of a nothing character, but he's got so many good moments later on that I couldn't help but cheer for him. Ironically, the fights kinda suck but the characters are usually entertaining enough that I simply enjoy seeing them do stuff.
I agree that Takemitchy grew on me so much later on even though he is depicted as useless early. I would recommend anyone to make the jump from anime to manga as well. This anime season won't be covering the best arcs to come unfortunately.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part about when a series is about to get cancelled is when it clearly starts scrambling for anything to keep it afloat, which ironically just makes it look even more likelier that it'll get cancelled

I too, remember Kamio Yui. Just a weird, weird way of trying to change itself to stay afloat.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hmm, wouldn't it make more sense just to use the yokai name?
That's what I'm saying. The yokai has other names like "100km/h Hag", but Dandadan uses "Tābo Babā" (which I got from the wiki), so "Turbo Granny" is accurate. She's in a few of the older Shin Megami Tensei games too, and they called her the same thing there.

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm saying. The yokai has other names like "100km/h Hag", but Dandadan uses "Tābo Babā" (which I got from the wiki), so "Turbo Granny" is accurate. She's in a few of the older Shin Megami Tensei games too, and they called her the same thing there.

Huh. Seems Yukinobu Tatsu has some odd ideas. Though that was apparent from what I read.

Oct 26, 2017
I finished The Promised Neverland. Oof. The lack of thought that went into the final arc is so different from how the series began. Not the worst thing that I've read but disappointing overall.

I'm moving on to Delicious in Dungeon which has been cute so far.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Dandadan 1-21

Okay yeah this is awesome. Fantastic art, especially the two page spreads. Palpable Chainsaw Man energy in the way it can go from hyperviolent to raunchy to poignant, as well as the bizarre premise and bad guys. This is one to keep an eye on for sure.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad more people are now on board the Dandadan train. It's bizarre as shit, but in a fun way, and the art is fantastic.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Frieren at the Funeral 63

Definitely cool lore on the Hero of the South. It would be nice if we saw more of him. Idk why but this chapter reminded me to preorder volume 1 coming out in a few months too

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hajime No Ippo 1350

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me I actually got all caught up. This was some kind of insane marathon. I can't believe this fucking thing is still going after 30 years. Around 1000~1100 I was expecting to arrive to some kind of conclusive ending, but nope, still going. I imagine it will never end and it's better to stop thinking about it.

I'm glad however that I can kind of pick an ending for myself somewhere in there. Also glad the last chapter ends right after a major fight so I can pretty much just move on with my life now lol.

feels like the author really wants to sow the seeds for Ippo's comeback but I hope it never happens. He seems happy and reasonably fulfilled as is, just needs to get it on with Kumi lol. Although I guess the quickest way to his comeback is killing off his mom... And that would be a big yikes for me dawg