• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I know they're different, but "horniness" as a watchword for stuff like Halibel's design conveys the idea very effectively. I would call the way that multiple women get taken out with extreme ease only to be saved by the men sexist, but idk if the adjective immediately describes the issue with the character designs specifically like just calling them horny does? But YMMV, I guess.
To me it just comes across as normalizing/downplaying things ("oh, that's just our horny Kubo over there"), which I know I shouldn't be surprised by given the industry as a whole, but 🤷‍♂️ .

I can see if someone does it while in their 20s, but a continued trend (e.g., Cquntnire)? Nah.

I can't comment on any story stuff since I don't plan to read the series.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well it's a break week so quiet day tomorrow on the jump side.

Anyone want to talk ridiculous one shots? Ken Ishikawa's Megaman has to be one of my all time faves, a seriously unnerving take on the character in the best of ways

latest

I mean look at that face, that is the face of a true monster and it gives you a feel for how dark Mega Man could truly be

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a break week so quiet day tomorrow on the jump side.

Anyone want to talk ridiculous one shots? Ken Ishikawa's Megaman has to be one of my all time faves, a seriously unnerving take on the character in the best of ways

latest

I mean look at that face, that is the face of a true monster and it gives you a feel for how dark Mega Man could truly be

Yo Megaman as a villain where he goes around the city attacking and stealing good robots powers would be dope. It would be like paranoia agent but sci fi.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

Hell yeah Fujimoto short story collections!

If they're tankobon length and the names imply the number of stories in them, I think we're looking at just under 40 pages each.

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, everyone. Hope all is well & good. I'm looking for a manga/manhwa reader for iOS. Any recommendations?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for - good and completed - mangas with like an Akira-Alita esque grimy industrial future feel.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for - good and completed - mangas with like an Akira-Alita esque grimy industrial future feel.

Have you read Dorohedoro? Nothing is as grimy as that manga, it's fantasy with magic but has a real industrial dystopia look to it, but isn't futuristic. You might like the manga-ka's current work Dai-Dark for the future space grime look, but it's not completed.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Shoot, Amazon finally cancelled my order for Berserk Deluxe volume 1 (after sending me all the other volumes).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh no, I just got volume 2 and was hoping volume 1 would come soon. Did you confirm you still wanted it when they asked the other week?

They didn't even let me approve a delay. They did notify me back in june to approve a delay for volumes 1, 2, and 3, though.

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order. We've canceled the item and apologize for the inconvenience

This is like the second one I've gotten in a couple of days, the other one being for a figuarts Gojo from JJK.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Have you read Dorohedoro? Nothing is as grimy as that manga, it's fantasy with magic but has a real industrial dystopia look to it, but isn't futuristic. You might like the manga-ka's current work Dai-Dark for the future space grime look, but it's not completed.

I haven't but I did watch the anime and I really enjoyed it. Bummed we're (seemingly?) not getting a second season. I guess I forgot there was a manga because that definitely seems like it fits the bill!

Thanks!

May 9, 2019
Up to the last volume in the Shaman King Omnibus 2. Really enjoying this re-read after so many years.

Started Levius and it's alright so far. It's character heavy in the beginning but I know the fights are gonna start coming up.

Finished the Jojo Part 5 vol 1 HC. I already watched the anime but decided to collect the HC's since this is my favorite part.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

If you needed anymore evidence that most of the ToC weekly rankings don't matter, Blue Box should show that perfectly. Last ranking? Top 5, Current ranking? Bottom 5, Next Week? Unranked Color Page

I might be beating a dead horse, but Jump is clearly letting 90% of the magazine bounce around any given week to try and calm people who read too much into each individual week of rankings. The only series you can fairly judge is Candy Flurry, which is clearly a dead series walking as it's the only one Jump consistently puts near the bottom.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Kubo Won't Let Me be Invisible is up on the SJ app and on Manga+. Looks like only the first 6 chapters, and then just the latest 3 for now. Who knows how long until they fill the gap, so I might wait on more chapters to go up before I start this.

Oct 25, 2017
Kubo Won't Let Me be Invisible is up on the SJ app and on Manga+. Looks like only the first 6 chapters, and then just the latest 3 for now. Who knows how long until they fill the gap, so I might wait on more chapters to go up before I start this.

Damn. Thought we were done with doing big gaps like this. Yeah, gonna wait before going into this one then.
Just as long as the author doesn't do anything illegal. Act-Age never filled its gap before getting cancelled.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Thought we were done with doing big gaps like this. Yeah, gonna wait before going into this one then.
Just as long as the author doesn't do anything illegal. Act-Age never filled its gap before getting cancelled.

They did say that this one would be set up like this (I was just hoping for more chapters...) I'm wondering if it'll be like Blue Flag/Morarity, where they are also releasing the physical/digital volume copies, and post them vol by vol.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Up to the last volume in the Shaman King Omnibus 2. Really enjoying this re-read after so many years.

Started Levius and it's alright so far. It's character heavy in the beginning but I know the fights are gonna start coming up.

Finished the Jojo Part 5 vol 1 HC. I already watched the anime but decided to collect the HC's since this is my favorite part.

Do you know how different the new Omnibus's are from the old Viz versions? Is it more localization changes or more?

I've only watched the first episode of the anime on Netflix but man unless they just rush through the story that opening spoils like a lot of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017

im trying to get the omnibus before they go out of stock or something, i just fear they will go out of stuck and then have a single print run or something.

Oct 25, 2017
If you needed anymore evidence that most of the ToC weekly rankings don't matter, Blue Box should show that perfectly. Last ranking? Top 5, Current ranking? Bottom 5, Next Week? Unranked Color Page

I might be beating a dead horse, but Jump is clearly letting 90% of the magazine bounce around any given week to try and calm people who read too much into each individual week of rankings. The only series you can fairly judge is Candy Flurry, which is clearly a dead series walking as it's the only one Jump consistently puts near the bottom.

In glad someone is on the same page as me. Like I get that the rankings talk is fun, but that's really it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

FWIW there are really good quality scanlations for the whole series available. Obviously it sucks that were back to the gap for an official release, but at least it's not like AA where there were untranslated chapters/badly translated chapters.

May 9, 2019
Do you know how different the new Omnibus's are from the old Viz versions? Is it more localization changes or more?

I've only watched the first episode of the anime on Netflix but man unless they just rush through the story that opening spoils like a lot of stuff.
Remastered translation, different font, and some panels are redrawn/edited.

They're also collecting the last 3 volumes that weren't translated and printed. This means that the true ending of the series will be collected.

im trying to get the omnibus before they go out of stock or something, i just fear they will go out of stuck and then have a single print run or something.

Yeah I've been picking them up as they release you just never know.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
English Jump+ on Manga+ is in a pretty sorry state, of the main 11 "series" they're highlighting

1 has been on a year+ hiatus (Heart Gear)
1 is a literal one shot (Look Back)
1 was just canceled (WEH Britannia)
3 are licensed by viz (SxF, K8, GRG)

That leaves just 5 as actual exclusives to manga+; Hokkaido Gals, Sekime-san, Deranged Detective, Torture Princess, and Dentist. I know Dandan is coming soon, but I wonder what the hold up is for some of the other series. At least two of them have had several years of serialization with one getting an anime in 2022. Seems so arbitrary what we do or don't get.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
English Jump+ on Manga+ is in a pretty sorry state, of the main 11 "series" they're highlighting

1 has been on a year+ hiatus (Heart Gear)
1 is a literal one shot (Look Back)
1 was just canceled (WEH Britannia)
3 are licensed by viz (SxF, K8, GRG)

That leaves just 5 as actual exclusives to manga+; Hokkaido Gals, Sekime-san, Deranged Detective, Torture Princess, and Dentist. I know Dandan is coming soon, but I wonder what the hold up is for some of the other series. At least two of them have had several years of serialization with one getting an anime in 2022. Seems so arbitrary what we do or don't get.

Yeah, I sure wish there would be more stuff added in. So many series since the english rollout have already ended/been cancelled, with only those few exclusives you mentioned, left. Sure wish they could add just a few more :/

Corgi

Oct 28, 2017
Northern, New Jersey
Blue Box

No no no no no stop, bring back the comfy story. I don't want to go down this rom com drama road again right now.

I just started reading this, because it was the opposite of your typical romcom.

If you're still reading it, can you tell me if it introduces a love rival =/= love triangle?

I have just been looking for a good, on-going no Bull Shit RomCom :sad:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I just started reading this, because it was the opposite of your typical romcom.

If you're still reading it, can you tell me if it introduces a love rival =/= love triangle?

I have just been looking for a good, on-going no Bull Shit RomCom :sad:

Childhood friend has become aware of the situation, and it seems she's starting to realize her own feelings for the mc.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Similar to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, there's some level of assuming the people watching know what happened in the first anime. That's also why the first 13 episodes go through material shared with the first anime pretty quickly.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy's Trash 63
200.gif

Another curve ball. Sensei keeps getting worse and worse.

That cliffhanger though. I wonder if it is a good sign or yet another bad thing going to happen.

Kaguya 234

Finally this arc is done and we can move on. Hopefully with much less Osaragi as I still don't find her likable or entertaining to make up for it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 234

Finally this arc is done and we can move on. Hopefully with much less Osaragi as I still don't find her likable or entertaining to make up for it.
I think it's a case of this rom com manga isn't going for likable or entertaining but more of a down to earth grounded realistic take on the situation for more of a pure character growth situation as we've shifted towards the series being more of a character drama on top of a rom com for a while.

either way, aside from a bit here or there I don't expect her to show up too much more.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a case of this rom com manga isn't going for likable or entertaining but more of a down to earth grounded realistic take on the situation for more of a pure character growth situation as we've shifted towards the series being more of a character drama on top of a rom com for a while.

either way, aside from a bit here or there I don't expect her to show up too much more.
True.

I wouldn't actually mind her if she just apologized or something but that didn't happen so whatever, the arc is done and I am happy with that.
I thought we were done. I thought we were finally free.
no-crying.gif
Haha yeah

The ball is rolling again and everything is returning to the shit.
The original lovers suicide girl in this series? Can't possibly be a good thing.
It just shows how bad the situation has gotten when I am not sure which toxic person is gonna help him.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Remastered translation, different font, and some panels are redrawn/edited.

They're also collecting the last 3 volumes that weren't translated and printed. This means that the true ending of the series will be collected.

Ah, I stopped collecting the Viz volumes in the 20s or so but IIRC he went back and redid the ending later... so we're getting that newer ending and not whatever was originally published?

Oct 25, 2017
Found a video comparing the Kodansha version of Shaman King to the Viz and original scans.
From what i can tell, the Viz version censored more violent scenes that are uncensored in the Kodansha release.
Ponchi's big balls are redrawn in all English versions, which is funny as the Netflix dub of the 2021 anime seems to keep them.
Chocolove is also redrawn to be less offensive. But that seems to be standard for the series now.

There's also the fact that Takei went back and redraw some scenes for re-releases so that's possibly where some of the changes came from (like the smoking edit brought up in the video)

From what I can tell, this YouTuber is fine.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Kaguya - 234

Well, This is Bittersweet.
Both understand each other now but their relationship isn't strong like Kaguya and Chika.

Someday Osaragi and Miko's Friendship will be drifting away.

Kaguya manga has become about "Relationship" since Ice Kaguya arcs.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017