• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Witch Watch 21
Is it just me or is this series just too wordy sometimes? It goes overboard with the dialogue and word boxes giving us the play-by-play imo

And that was a REALLY abrupt turn at the end. Like, wow. Hasn't this series been doing decently for itself?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Witch Watch 21
Is it just me or is this series just too wordy sometimes? It goes overboard with the dialogue and word boxes giving us the play-by-play imo

And that was a REALLY abrupt turn at the end. Like, wow. Hasn't this series been doing decently for itself?
They've been teasing the main plot all along, it's what kicked things off and they've just been focusing on the light hearted(but relevant) part of what she has to do to stay on the right path. Threats been there and we're about due for it to start popping up more. Was happy it finally kicked in

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry 11

Guess this will be an under19 contender. Exams already over, skipping over the evacuation, promotion, etc, just seems like content is being cut to rush to a good conclusion place.

Blue Box 12

A date, this soon? What.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Witch Watch 21

That was always my biggest problem with the series, they have been going overboard with the dialogue since chapter 1

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 203

Ryusui in 3rd?! Awesome choice. Would be my 3rd after Chrome and Ginro.

I dont really get the telescope in the balloon thing or how they still decide to go into the sea to see the canal. I thought they wanted to avoid backtracking just in cas.e

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I'm really not feeling Dr. Stone lately. The Why-man stuff is cool but it feels like they've started totally eliding over the "rebuilding civilization is actually tricky." The way they've handled Brazil and now Spain also rubs me the wrong way; in Japan, there were conflicts between reawakened people. In the US, there were conflicts between reawakened people. In Brazil, everybody just does what they say, and in Spain, they're kinda just outright worshipping them? And now in the new chapter they just gin up a guided missile on the first try.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Candy Flurry 11

This really seems like it's on the chopping block and desperate to change it.

Red Hood 2

A protagonist that doesn't just throw his former life away the moment the plot comes calling ? Sign me up, a little thing but bit refreshing nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood 2

Was just really unexciting. The antagonists were just dull compared to the one in chapter one.

Neru 1

Really uninteresting start. I don't know why they went with this for a chapter one. A fight against some type of antagonist would have been better to showcase what the manga is about. Couldn't get a grasp of it here.

Would have preferred if it were a martial arts club at high school not a school in some hidden place. Will this be some Exorcist series like with a school like Jujutsu Kaisen. Don't know if we need a clone.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Neru 1

Really uninteresting start. I don't know why they went with this for a chapter one. A fight against some type of antagonist would have been better to showcase what the manga is about. Couldn't get a grasp of it here.

Would have preferred if it were a martial arts club at high school not a school in some hidden place. Will this be some Exorcist series like with a school like Jujutsu Kaisen. Don't know if we need a clone.

Yeah, it was an... interesting way to start off the series (and looks like it won't be a school club, as assumed). I also wasn't sure if the guy's grandpa was supposed to be blind or if they forgot to draw his eyes in :x

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Watamote v1-5
Just rapid-fire cringing my way through this until it turns into a slice of life manga... come on please... I have to say, this far away from being a high school student (hell, having taught high school students), it is a lot less cringey than I had thought and just more kinda pitiable, thank god

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Damn, it seems like everyone really dislikes Candy Flurry. Idk I like it. The goofiness works for me, and I like the protagonist. The art is great too. I thought the villain designs all seemed cool too! I want more.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Damn, it seems like everyone really dislikes Candy Flurry. Idk I like it. The goofiness works for me, and I like the protagonist. The art is great too. I thought the villain designs all seemed cool too! I want more.

Regardless of if people like it or not, the series is obviously on a fast track to being canceled. You read enough fast track to cancel series and you start to see the signs around the 8-12 chapter mark.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Kasane Volumes 1-2

Got this is so trashy, why am I reading this, oh well better not to think about it and just keep reading.

BLue Flag volume 8 END
E5OISGAXEAQY5Fl

Lead up to the end was worth it (even if a bit over the top, manga loves having characters impulsively dash to wherever to solve whatever circumstance their in, cheesy but fun). Liked the series for having characters talk things out even if they meandered a bit in their conversations, lost their trains of thoughts or struggled to put their thoughts into words, and didn't mine taking positions and calling each other out. Also I liked the part of characters really struggling with what to do in their life and their future, felt a bit more authentic then a few other series. Still love the same sex relationships and crushes being identified so early in the series and not putting it off to the middle or something. Really made the journey feel solid from start to finish.

Wish there were a few chapters in between the final chapter and the epilogue as I would have liked to see the circumstances that spanned that 7 year period as well as Tai-chans journey and well for that matter Toma's and how their decision to date and get together would have gone. Also would have been nice to see them both dating and what not, not even in that extra chapter did we see them together smiling at one another or something lol.

Anyway with Tai-chan looking at you as such all the time how couldn't you fall for him
E5OInetXoAE3G2h
I was considering putting together my own review post, but it's been a hellish week for me and it's just going to keep going for the next few. Maybe I will at some point, because it's a book I've been thinking about a lot during and after reading. But I think you summarized a lot of my thoughts on this very well. I really loved this book and the ending made me so happy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Neru a lot. The art evokes older series, and I loved the strange, somewhat unsettling presentation around all the martial arts stuff.

The second chapter of Red Hood wasn't as strong as the first. Pacing was off. But the art was still really solid, and I'm going to give it a fair few more chapters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Regardless of if people like it or not, the series is obviously on a fast track to being canceled. You read enough fast track to cancel series and you start to see the signs around the 8-12 chapter mark.
Yeah now if only we could be rid of Roboco
I liked Neru a lot. The art evokes older series, and I loved the strange, somewhat unsettling presentation around all the martial arts stuff.
You can tell it's setting stuff up subtly while the main character is on the earnest path. Other thing to consider is he's going to a remote dojo no, but considering the where do I want to go for high school tease it could be a martial arts school setup

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Another solid week, even if Red Hood wasn't much of anything other than a little more insight into how the werewolves in this world work. Loved their exaggerated designs. Way of the Martial Artist has nothing that really hooked me. It might end up being great, but I'm not at all interested in such a basic premise.
I have enjoyed it, but with how quickly this seems to be progressing, this is either heading to an early cancellation or there's another wild twist coming where the bad guys set up last chapter and are attacking the school this chapter aren't actually the real bad guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry is full of "we're dead" signs.
The exam is interrupted by a villain, the seemingly main bad guy shows up, and now we have new villains go right to the heroes.

Yeah now if only we could be rid of Roboco

I have no idea how that series lives on. I guess readers in Japan really like it.
Seeing panels like this makes me question things...

E5eCww4UYAMXCqh

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The exam is interrupted by a villain, the seemingly main bad guy shows up, and now we have new villains go right to the heroes.

I have no idea how that series lives on. I guess readers in Japan really like it.

E5eCww4UYAMXCqh
Literally just "how many Jump references can we cram into one panel."

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, it's not even a diverse bunch of Jump references since it's like 75% JJK.

I like JJK and all but do we really need a series in Jump to specifically cheerlead for it.

Oct 25, 2017

Candy Flurry is another one of those manga where it has good ideas that just come together in a terribly written way. I love Misaki, but he just has the signs of a good character trapped in a badly written manga. The powers in the manga are cool but utilized in a world that really should have been more Goofy and Quirky. Putting the series in modern day Japan and only make one section candified is just strange. I think the series would have been amazing if it were set in some "candyland" type of setting.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Red hood 2
Not sure how Grimm will be able to convince velou after he just saw even more werewolves attacking his village. Anyway I like how smart velou is even if he isnt as strong as Grimm

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood 2

The writing is bit stilted, but I'm ejoying the characters and art so far. I kinda love how Yuuki Kawaguchi writes the monsters and how sporadically they draw their designs

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Roboco will outlast JJK and once JJK ends the characters will start to make appearances in Roboco

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Witch Watch 21

You aren't alone. The last chapter and the chapter about the teacher contain way too many texts. I like Witch Watch but reading way too many texts in a gag manga is just too much for me lol

E5eCww4UYAMXCqh
I feel bad for the translator team, and they did a good job overall with Roboco.

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't alone. The last chapter and the chapter about the teacher contain way too many texts. I like Witch Watch but reading way too many texts in a gag manga is just too much for me lol

I feel bad for the translator team, and they did a good job overall with Roboco.

I won't fault the translator, he did a good job with what he was given.
And what he was given was unfunny and annoying.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Food for thought: if a translator finds a way to make shitty jokes funny, is it truly a translation?

Not at all, the point of a translation is to keep the intent behind the original in tact in a new language. Humor is such a subjective thing that I don't think you can ever say 100% "they ruined the joke by making it funny when localized". Someone found that originally, shitty joke funny even if it was just the author's mom.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I won't fault the translator, he did a good job with what he was given.
And what he was given was unfunny and annoying.
Yeah, translators are also often underappreciated when people talk about manga or any other entertainment media. They do a hell of job with the given source material, and some of them can even elevate its quality. What WSJ translators can do to localize mangas in just a few days are just incredible.

Last edited:

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

It feels like they have cancelled a series every week the past month.

So is Robocco like Gintama but bad?

I wouldn't compare Gintama to Roboco other than being comedy comics. Roboco has it's moments, like the Oda tribute chapter they did:

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, translators are also often underappreciated when people talk about manga or any other entertainment media. They do a hell of job with the given source material, and some of them can even elevate its quality. What WSJ translators can do to localize mangas in just a few days are just incredible.

Pretty sure they get the chapter a couple weeks in advance. But yeah, they do a damn good job.

It feels like they have cancelled a series every week the past month.

That's Jump for you. Series are chewed up and spit out. Only the strong survive.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Watamote v1-10 (skimming)
Seems like I've begun reaching the point where the manga becomes more than the initial premise, even if Tomoko is still just... Tomoko. Finally.

Character development is seeing a character's situation improve, and in many ways, there's no where for Tomoko's situation to go but up...

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watamote v1-10 (skimming)
Seems like I've begun reaching the point where the manga becomes more than the initial premise, even if Tomoko is still just... Tomoko. Finally.

Character development is seeing a character's situation improve, and in many ways, there's no where for Tomoko's situation to go but up...
Oh boy you have no idea. Her
harem never stops growing

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Box continues to be the best. It's all so wholesome and the tension is just right. I wish there's more sports action in here, though. There's the opportunity for it but so far the author is kind of shying away from it - while the relationship is moving pretty quickly. I'm not sure why.

I'm not sad to see Nine Dragons Ball Parade go. I think the art was always too clean and generic. The characters are not remarkable... and once the cast ballooned, the little focus that they had on individual motivations had dissipated.

Personally, I don't think Red Hood and Neru will last.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Feels to early to say on Neru, outside of the search for the challenge the main structure hasn't been setup yet. Heck the dojo being remote could be a fakeout.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely way too early to decide on Red Hood and Neru's fate. They just started. Wait until August to start considering their fate.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I thought the second chapter of Red Hood was pretty solid. Good way of keeping momentum after the opening chapter instead of bogging things down with a hunter training arc or whatever. I see a lot of potential here.

Not really sure what to make of Neru. The chapter wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed. We'll see how it turns out.