• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Kaguya's author is juggling two series?

Are they both weekly? Because that sounds unhealthy
9v8Q3JC.png

Though he does only the story for Oshi no Ko, but yeah, it's still really unhealthy.
and he has a third series that he is only doing the art for coming later this year. Not sure if that will be another weekly series, or monthly, or if it's more of a one off thing, as there hasn't been any details aside from a small announcement that he was working on it with someone, but the guy is crazy.

Aka is a special case. He's been stated in interviews to only work on Kaguya 3 days a week. With Oshi no Ko, he only writes it. The artist behind Scum's Wish does the art. The 3rd series mentioned was a mini series that is already over. Unless the person was referencing the Oshi no Ko x Couple of Cuckoos crossover, which is just a one off crossover yet to come out.

Won't say he's not being overworked as I don't know, but interviews have had him state that he has made a good schedule for himself. He takes a week off every 4 chapters or so for both Kaguya and OnK. Enough time to make it into master rank of his addiction, Apex Legends.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
3 days for a chapter sounds like not a lot of time based on what I know, unless he draws fast

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the mini-serie that he did a couple months ago with some Idol group? Or is this something else?
Something else. I had to go to work and thus couldn't locate the source again. I posted about it a few weeks ago in this thread. I think some one else covered that it should just be a one shot where he is doing the art but still lol

Yeah
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Oshi no Ko, A Couple of Cuckoos Manga Launch Collaboration

Manga by Aka Akasaka, Mengo Yokoyari collaborates with manga by Miki Yoshikawa

It's the oshi cross over I was thinking of.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
3 days for a chapter sounds like not a lot of time based on what I know, unless he draws fast
It's from an interview with Tamaki Inuyama

Q - What do you do in your free time?

A:
I rest 3-4 days a week.

T: ...A week is 7 days, right? And a chapter is 18 pages? You finish 18 pages in 3 days??

A: Yeah.

T: ...What?? So you have fun going out and stuff?

A: Yeah, I was actually at a fancy restaurant with Mengo and our editor yesterday.

T: Why didn't you invite me? Also, OnK is good guys, you should read it.

T: So what else do you do?

A: Apex (Legends)... I don't want to make a ton of money or whatever, I want the double hammer in Apex.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
The hiatus is more for planning for future chapters/arcs, not because of his health AFAIK

Definitely agree though about him pushing himself pretty hard
Aka is a special case. He's been stated in interviews to only work on Kaguya 3 days a week. With Oshi no Ko, he only writes it. The artist behind Scum's Wish does the art. The 3rd series mentioned was a mini series that is already over. Unless the person was referencing the Oshi no Ko x Couple of Cuckoos crossover, which is just a one off crossover yet to come out.

Won't say he's not being overworked as I don't know, but interviews have had him state that he has made a good schedule for himself. He takes a week off every 4 chapters or so for both Kaguya and OnK. Enough time to make it into master rank of his addiction, Apex Legends.
Yeah, but even if he could maintain a healthy schedule (I don't actually know whether it's truly healthy or good though), it still doesn't give him much breathing room to gain strength when something really bad happens, like his divorce or getting sick. Manga artists are truly insane. I hope more and more of them try to take regular breaks, and not working themselves to death. I'm more than okay if the weekly schedule is phased out in favor of a biweekly schedule, though it's definitely hard to change.

About Apex Legends, as an Apex Legends player myself, playing it does feel like a second job :p

It's from an interview with Tamaki Inuyama
lmao at the "double hammer" comment. Apex Legends is a second job for him. I wish I could watch him streaming.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
This last fight in Kengan was great, Nitoku vs Liu delivered.

I know I made pretty much the same comment a while back b ut now the fight is over, and it delivered with its ending I thought!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but even if he could maintain a healthy schedule (I don't actually know whether it's truly healthy or good though), it still doesn't give him much breathing room to gain strength when something really bad happens, like his divorce or getting sick. Manga artists are truly insane. I hope more and more of them try to take regular breaks, and not working themselves to death. I'm more than okay if the weekly schedule is phased out in favor of a biweekly schedule, though it's definitely hard to change.
but a good schedule implies giving yourself time to rest, and clearly taking a break recently implies they know when to take a break to keep from overworking. I think theres quite a few weekly manga authors who've never taken a break or took just one, some others have time to do their series, and then play videogames, + sketch on twitter + color, etc. Only the writer themselves knows what their body needs and wants.

and has been said, even writers on biweekly and monthly schedules can find themselves overworked (BLue Exorcists and those incomplete chapters and her recent two/three month vacation), and several writers mention it in their volume afterwards.

Additionally, some biweekly chapters, and monthly chapters are longer than weekly* so really, they are still under the same sort of workload even if you spread it out.

*(not always sometimes we get under 20 page monthly chapters)

A better solution is having several months worth of chapters written, and then serialized, and the writer, can make content at their own pace to have another batch of chapters ready once those run out.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm late to the party but I'm 100% sold on the Kodansha app. They make some of my favorites and I already had a few I wanted to read on their list before I even finished the C's.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This last fight in Kengan was great, Nitoku vs Liu delivered.

I know I made pretty much the same comment a while back b ut now the fight is over, and it delivered with its ending I thought!
Yeah, it was really good, best match of the tournament so far
Even though I was rooting for Nitoku, that was a really satisfying way to wrap things up. Nitoku got to save some face with that ring-out, and Liu FINALLY got Purgatory a big win that feels deserved. Plus that sportsmanship at the end was a really nice touch.

And with Team Kengan being down a point again, there's a good chance that Okubo will end up winning his match (which I'd assume is next, and probably against Terashi) which makes me happy.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
but a good schedule implies giving yourself time to rest, and clearly taking a break recently implies they know when to take a break to keep from overworking. I think theres quite a few weekly manga authors who've never taken a break or took just one, some others have time to do their series, and then play videogames, + sketch on twitter + color, etc. Only the writer themselves knows what their body needs and wants.

and has been said, even writers on biweekly and monthly schedules can find themselves overworked (BLue Exorcists and those incomplete chapters and her recent two/three month vacation), and several writers mention it in their volume afterwards.

Additionally, some biweekly chapters, and monthly chapters are longer than weekly* so really, they are still under the same sort of workload even if you spread it out.

*(not always sometimes we get under 20 page monthly chapters)

A better solution is having several months worth of chapters written, and then serialized, and the writer, can make content at their own pace to have another batch of chapters ready once those run out.
Oh absolutely. Making biweekly schedules a norm doesn't necessarily mean that manga artists will have healthy schedules. I doubt that when a manga artist is taking a break for a week, they'd spend all the available time to rest. Many things (financially, culturally, etc.) contribute to this problem. But at least I hope that by making biweekly schedules a norm, it lessens the pressure and the workload even if it's just a tiny bit. And more importantly, I hope that it can gradually make manga artists understand that it's okay to value their health and lives more than their works, so they can change their lifestyles for the better.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it was really good, best match of the tournament so far
Even though I was rooting for Nitoku, that was a really satisfying way to wrap things up. Nitoku got to save some face with that ring-out, and Liu FINALLY got Purgatory a big win that feels deserved. Plus that sportsmanship at the end was a really nice touch.

And with Team Kengan being down a point again, there's a good chance that Okubo will end up winning his match (which I'd assume is next, and probably against Terashi) which makes me happy.

Agreed. Nitoku didn,t come off as a jobber and could credibly beat some very high level fighters in the future. We've been told over and over just how strong Liu is, and the fact that he "only" won because of a ring out really sells Nitoku as a huge threat to everyone, and Liu being able to beat Nitoku when he was one of the few fighters who make Agito actually work really builds him up too.

Kengan reminds me a lot of pro-wrestling in that regard. Pretty sure the mangaka is a big wrestling fan, especially with how great his actual prowrestler fighter was.

I AM ALSO ROOTING FOR OKUBO

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I enjoyed the one-shot for Red Hood. Assuming the actual series polishes things a bit, I think it's got potential
I snickered a little at first since its basically just demon slayer but with guns and werewolves, but the fairy tale vibe and that hunting equipment we saw was enough to catch my interest

Here's hoping the final product is good.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Keen on this, though hope it's less out-and-out pervy than Gal-ko (which I really admire writing wise even though the mangaka has a very clear and prominent boob fetish)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Up to date on MHA Vigilantes and fuck, what a ride. I might make an effortpost when it's all over since it seems like it's wrapping up, but especially if you already like MHA I think it's an easy recommend.

My only wish is that Pop*Step had more to do in earlier arcs, but I guess they hadn't quite nailed down her character properly or were just more focused on other characters (mostly male tho)

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Flag 1-15

Finally started reading this since the last set of chapters seem to be due out in a few days. This is exactly what I was hoping it was, and I love it. I really want Toma to tell Taichi how he feels, though I don't know if that's where this is going. They're so cute together. Masumi is also a very interesting supporting character and I love her interactions with Taichi. I'll probably have more elaborate thoughts when I'm finished, but for right now I'm just devouring what's available.

PrYun8j.jpg

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fire Force 272
I don't know how upset I can be right now considering that with how batshit this series has become, the odds of Arthur pulling a Joseph Joestar and inexplicably turning up alive are nonzero

But either way, damn, what a fight. RIP to my boy, assuming he doesn't have a Phoenix Down or an extra life lol

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Force 272
I don't know how upset I can be right now considering that with how batshit this series has become, the odds of Arthur pulling a Joseph Joestar and inexplicably turning up alive are nonzero

But either way, damn, what a fight. RIP to my boy, assuming he doesn't have a Phoenix Down or an extra life lol

Well, the sun is a source of fire, and at this point, anything goes right?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Force 272

I humbly kneel before the Knight King, what a guy. The upcoming fights have a lot of slack to pick up if they wanna come close to the level this ended up being on, truly great.

Oct 25, 2017

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Adds to the pile with

BLeach
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Wrath of the Titans writer Dan Mazeau, Get Smart's Peter Segal, actor/producer Masi Oka attached
Naruto
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Masashi Kishimoto is Involved in Production on Lionsgate, Michael Gracey's Naruto Hollywood Film

Jump Festa event revealed pre-production art for the film
MHA, SnK, and Jojo are also in that same pile

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, parts 1 and 2 of JoJo would not only be pretty easy to adapt into live action but would probably get super popular.

It would be easy to alleviate any potential white-washing controversies because the Joestars are already white.

As well as Sword Art Online and obviously Akira.

Surprised One Piece and Cowboy Bebop actually got off the ground.

For real. Whatever magic they got at Tomorrow Studio to get things working, they need to share it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no attachment to One Piece (outside of the fantastic 4Kids dub :P ) so honestly, I'm kinda looking forward to how that actually turns out. From what I hear, the casting choices aren't terrible, so that's at least a step in the right direction considering your average Hollywood adaptation.

Then again, Death Note got William Dafoe as Ryuk and still fucked that up.

And Death Note 1+2 and Promised Neverland
They're making a second one? Jesus...

And honestly, Promised Neverland could actually work.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I have no attachment to One Piece (outside of the fantastic 4Kids dub :P ) so honestly, I'm kinda looking forward to how that actually turns out. From what I hear, the casting choices aren't terrible, so that's at least a step in the right direction considering your average Hollywood adaptation.

Then again, Death Note got William Dafoe as Ryuk and still fucked that up.

They're making a second one? Jesus...

And honestly, Promised Neverland could actually work.
There's been no news about the OP cast. Everything has been rumors, nothing confirmed.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Started Dr. Stone, 30 chapters in.

Senku carries this so far for me. I just enjoy a cocky, hyper-competent lead.

Blue Flag 1-15

Finally started reading this since the last set of chapters seem to be due out in a few days. This is exactly what I was hoping it was, and I love it. I really want Toma to tell Taichi how he feels, though I don't know if that's where this is going. They're so cute together. Masumi is also a very interesting supporting character and I love her interactions with Taichi. I'll probably have more elaborate thoughts when I'm finished, but for right now I'm just devouring what's available.

PrYun8j.jpg
I really like this art style.

Might start reading.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
even if the live-action anime adaptations get off the ground, i expect them mostly to launch and immediately be submerged and sink into the tides