• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even if the model was being hopeful, a Spy X Family anime is inevitable. Same with Kaiju #8. Both print too much money.

I suppose the only concern would be the amount of material to work with. Spy X Family has enough at this point you could do a short season and then take a break before doing another provided it continues to do well.

I'm not sure there's enough for Kaiju yet though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dolphin Cop - End So I know a lot of people rightfully dismissed this series after its terrible first chapters (a lot of that was also due to the worst fucking timing with the second big wave of BLM protests starting up at the same time), but I swear to you it got better. It's still low-level Japanese copaganda, but the audacity gets traded off with ridiculousness. For those who don't know Dolphin Cop is a series done by Beezlebub creator Ryuhei Tamura about a cop who gets assigned to work an island and his partner is a dolphin who is also a cop. It's more shonen battle than NCIS but once it finds its footing, it's got the same charming blend of comedy and action as Beezlebub did. Of all the canned shonen series, this one felt like it had a plan at least. Ending has shockingly good pacing, some really interesting reveals, and is just a lot of ridiculous fun. Unfortunately, it took way too long to find its footing, and that footing is another battle manga in a sea of battle manga, but I really loved Beezlebub, and this hit that itch for me. If you've got an afternoon give it a try with the knowledge it ends strong.

I'm actually bummed it ended. I liked it. It really played off the bizarre premise and the core cast was great, but you could tell the manga was ending a while ago when the Big Bads just showed up out of nowhere. It's a shame we won't learn more about those characters and all the other weird stuff that was going on.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually bummed it ended. I liked it. It really played off the bizarre premise and the core cast was great, but you could tell the manga was ending a while ago when the Big Bads just showed up out of nowhere. It's a shame we won't learn more about those characters and all the other weird stuff that was going on.

The only thing I wish that it covered a bit more, was Yae and Chako and their powers. Yae was the cultist (former) priestess and Chako is... what was it, like the reincarnation of Poseidon or something? Either I missed some details, or the mangaka didn't get much time to elaborate on it.

I will say again, that I think it's great how planned out this series was from the beginning, with Shark holding Chako's hand through most of the promo/coloured pics when the series first came out, seeing as it was literally the ending (well, pre-epilogue).

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I wish that it covered a bit more, was Yae and Chako and their powers. Yae was the cultist (former) priestess and Chako is... what was it, like the reincarnation of Poseidon or something? Either I missed some details, or the mangaka didn't get much time to elaborate on it.

I will say again, that I think it's great how planned out this series was from the beginning, with Shark holding Chako's hand through most of the promo/coloured pics when the series first came out, seeing as it was literally the ending (well, pre-epilogue).

Yeah. I think that could be chopped up to the difference in experience between Ryuhei Tamura (who has one successful series under his belt) and some of the newer authors with their first-time series. They all got the axe, but the last stretch of this at least felt planned out rather than a sudden wrap-up in a single chapter.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the only concern would be the amount of material to work with. Spy X Family has enough at this point you could do a short season and then take a break before doing another provided it continues to do well.

I'm not sure there's enough for Kaiju yet though.
Kaiju has enough regular chapters for a 1 cour first season at 2.something chapters per episode, with one chapter that seems tailor made to be a season finale. Some studio could theoretically start on it if they got the green light

That said, they could just as easily wait for more material and volume sales numbers, to confirm that the hype is still there.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Batuque 36

100% buff chicks. I'm serious. Maybe it's the same in Teppu, but I think like 100% of the women who've appeared in this manga so far have six packs.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

I Tell C has been axed, expected with how the manga's been going

The whole premise could have worked WAY better If this wasn't a Shonen manga, the idea of a Yandere falling in love and hunting down killers is a fun premise that could have lead to a lot of cathartic deaths if the MC actually killed the people she loves and stalks

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

The whole premise could have worked WAY better If this wasn't a Shonen manga, the idea of a Yandere falling in love and hunting down killers is a fun premise that could have lead to a lot of cathartic deaths if the MC actually killed the people she loves and stalks

Candy Flurry at the bottom of the magazine, where it belongs.

Oct 25, 2017

No surprise that I Tell C is dead. It managed to eek away from the U19 slot, but not by much. The premise probably would have been better in a Seinen magazine with more violence. Something like Dexter but with Yanderes.

Candy Flurry hitting the bottom, biiig ouch. That's definitely going to die in the Fall.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Since Dolphin and I Tell C are already this rounds casualties, Candy Flurry still has some time to survive

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I read all of Blue Lock's 135 available chapters over the course of a week and loved it. It's crazy and full of superpowers and I need more of it.
Is there any other sports manga you could recommend? A friend's been trying to get me into Eyeshield 21, but I heavily dislike the bat-like dude from my short experience watching the anime.

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprised about Candy Flurry. I think most people expected it would crater, actually thought it would go to the bottom faster than it did.

Uninteresting setting and in a magazine where an urban fantasy already exists, it needed to do more than just HeroAca except with Candy.

The premise probably would have been better in a Seinen magazine with more violence. Something like Dexter but with Yanderes.
Disagree.

The writing really needed work. The prologue was a mess, and even the mAR arc has some inconsistent plotting (its climax and conclusion saved it).

Doesn't appear they learned how to write better after having done Invade You!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The moment candy flurry interrupted it's exam arc in round 1 with an evil sweets users the writing was on the wall it was in trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry didn't have the best start but I m enjoying its silly sense of humor more now.

Edit: and I'm with DTL on this, outside of the premise, I Tell C was really poorly written. None if the crimes were that interesting or clever. If it were a senin it would be poorly written with distatesfully graphic murders.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, there it is, and Kowloon safe for now, but seems rushed now since it's like.... preparing for a quick ending?

How people thought High School Family is cancellation material is beyond me.

Last volune sold less than Build King, which isn't a good thing. Despite the mangaka doing a previous popular series, not selling the tankouban won't help you.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
candy flurry can survive if the volume sells well

but yeah i think from the last batch only blue box is safe

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Candy Flurry had bomb written all over it from the first chapter tbh. The characters, premise, and humor were all very lacking, super paint by numbers but with "candy" filling in the blanks. It should have tried to do something more interesting than shoving wacky candy powers in regular ol' Tokyo and not doing anything creative with it.

Guess CF and Baseball will be the next round's cancellations. Speaking of which, it's about damn time that i tell C got axed. Talk about having no fucking clue what to do with your premise, just awful.

Oct 26, 2017
I read all of Blue Lock's 135 available chapters over the course of a week and loved it. It's crazy and full of superpowers and I need more of it.
Is there any other sports manga you could recommend? A friend's been trying to get me into Eyeshield 21, but I heavily dislike the bat-like dude from my short experience watching the anime.
Haikyuu: crazy and hype but mostly grounded volleyball (2 seasons avail on Netflix—all current on crunchyroll)

Kuroko's basketball: ridiculously crazy OP characters (unless you have black or brown hair) not really grounded basketball (first 2 seasons avail on Netflix—all seasons and movie on crunchy)

i wouldn't watch eyeshield 21 but read it, Himura (pretty sure you mean him) gets better in the series and the series while not grounded later on is stupid entertaining in terms of matches

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Give Eyeshield 21 another shot, it's simply the GOAT "wacky" sports manga

Also Hiruma rules, god bless

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Candy Flurry current

zzzzzz

The spunky protagonist is nearly the only thing that keeps me here.
Hanebado maybe ? Can't quite vouch for it as I only watched anime but it's something to check out.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
If you're into zombies and BL, looks like Boys of the Dead is getting an english release soon. (I did the French translation so that's kinda why I'm posting this lol.)
It's pretty decent.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Haikyuu: crazy and hype but mostly grounded volleyball (2 seasons avail on Netflix—all current on crunchyroll)

Kuroko's basketball: ridiculously crazy OP characters (unless you have black or brown hair) not really grounded basketball (first 2 seasons avail on Netflix—all seasons and movie on crunchy)

i wouldn't watch eyeshield 21 but read it, Himura (pretty sure you mean him) gets better in the series and the series while not grounded later on is stupid entertaining in terms of matches
Give Eyeshield 21 another shot, it's simply the GOAT "wacky" sports manga

Also Hiruma rules, god bless
Hanebado maybe ? Can't quite vouch for it as I only watched anime but it's something to check out.

Thank you for your recommendations! I forgot to mention I watched all of Kuroko's anime and also loved it. I'm up to date with Haikyuu's anime as well and currently waiting for a new season. This one is by far my favorite sports series.
I will give the Eyeshield 21 manga a read. I know nothing about American football, so it's even more exciting.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta echo your friend. ES21 is fantastic if you love those "sports but with superpowers" series. For something more grounded, Slam Dunk is still best-in-class, if you haven't already read that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baki Dou 97

I'm not usually affected these days by violent moments in media I consume being I've been watching horror and martial arts movies since I was a kid but this chapter of Baki was fucking brutal. I think Sukune just killed his opponent by reaching through his skin and muscle to grab onto their actual bones before swinging them around like a rag doll. The finale throw when he grabs the guy's shoulder blade and body slams him got me to cringe.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
My Shonen Jump app reading has slowed down to basically just Black Clover. I want to catch up on My Hero but besides that I have nothing else. I feel like I'd enjoy Sakamoto Days but I honestly don't know what to start.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Jump is also due for replacements in there Gag side, Roboco and Highschool Family haven't been selling well

Oct 27, 2017

Has Elusive Samura gotten better? I gave it I think 4 chapters and was super bored

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Gag manga don't need to sell as well as other genres.
Yeah but that doesn't mean they won't eventually get replaced by another Gag manga
My Shonen Jump app reading has slowed down to basically just Black Clover. I want to catch up on My Hero but besides that I have nothing else. I feel like I'd enjoy Sakamoto Days but I honestly don't know what to start.
Sakamoto Days is pretty good, and if you're fan of Black Clover you might also like Mashel, it's deals with a Magicless MC living in a world filled with Magic but more accurately it's more like if you mixed the comedic side of OPM with Harry Potter

There's Blue Box if you're into romance manga and Undead Unluck if you can stomach a really bad start and a lot of perv jokes, it probably still ends up being one of the better Shonen to come out recently

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Try Magu-chan. I normally don't like comedy manga at all but it really resonated with me. Sakamoto Days is hot fire and you should absolutely be reading it.

Catch up on Chainsaw Man if you haven't already, in anticipation of part 2. If you like that one, Dandadan is starting English serialization in late summer/early fall and it's got a similar tone and style.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Sakamoto Days is pretty good, and if you're fan of Black Clover you might also like Mashel, it's deals with a Magicless MC living in a world filled with Magic but more accurately it's more like if you mixed the comedic side of OPM with Harry Potter

There's Blue Box if you're into romance manga and Undead Unluck if you can stomach a really bad start and a lot of perv jokes, it probably still ends up being one of the better Shonen to come out recently

I've heard of Mashel. I'll give it a shot. Already tried Undead Unluck, not sure if I'll go back to it, but I don't think I've seen Blue Box lemmeseeeeee.

Try Magu-chan. I normally don't like comedy manga at all but it really resonated with me. Sakamoto Days is hot fire and you should absolutely be reading it.

Catch up on Chainsaw Man if you haven't already, in anticipation of part 2. If you like that one, Dandadan is starting English serialization in late summer/early fall and it's got a similar tone and style.

Yea I finished Chainsaw Man. I'm buying the Volumes and loaning it to a bunch of my friends/co-workers. I single-handedly turned them into Beastars and Blood on the Track fans. They haven't been the same since.

I'll try out Magu-Chan and keep an eye out for Dandadan.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that doesn't mean they won't eventually get replaced by another Gag manga

Some gag manga can last a while. Gintama ran for ages (and just didn't know how to end). Pyuu to Fuku Jaguar ran for 10 years. Hell, the longest running manga in Jump history was a gag manga.
HSF's creator, Ryo Nakama, did have a series before that lasted four years. Unless Shueisha higher-ups say to pull the plug, gag manga that do decently well seem to end when the creator wants them to end.

Oct 25, 2017
his previous series Isobee lasted 300 chapters, and also sold only in the 20-40K a volume range its whole run. Highschool Family is safe.

Roboco is probably more at danger, theres no loose plot tying it together, imo, and it seems way too reliant on advertising other jump manga.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It has, yeah. The MC has come into his own a bit, and some of the villains have become pretty entertaining.
Plus the Nuero/Kuro like is finally getting put more in the backseat, it's not that having that character is bad but considering his role in the story it's better to have him in the background as an advisor rather than someone who's in play all the time

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Some gag manga can last a while. Gintama ran for ages (and just didn't know how to end).

But that one was actually extremely popular, even in the west! I would hear about how great of a series is from friends who watched the anime - something I don't think series like Roboco etc. would get attention for if it had a series. Magu-chan though, would absolutely work as an anime and I'd love to see that get more popular.