• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Im probably one of the few people who thinks Blue Box is kinda meh. Too much fluff for my tastes. I like a bit of edge in my romances.

I find it relaxing and enjoyable BECAUSE it's so normal. It's not yet another story of a guy living with a group of girls, or involve weird supernatural situations/powers, it's just... regular slice-of-life that is one of those stories that could happen in reality. Nothing wrong with a bit of normalcy in an anthology book full of oddities and super powers.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it relaxing and enjoyable BECAUSE it's so normal. It's not yet another story of a guy living with a group of girls, or involve weird supernatural situations/powers, it's just... regular slice-of-life that is one of those stories that could happen in reality. Nothing wrong with a bit of normalcy in an anthology book full of oddities and super powers.

I understand the appeal. Its just not for me. I dont even particular care for outlandish powers but I like a little bit of spice in my romances. A bit of dumb needless drama. Im one of those people who actually likes love triangles.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the drama will come from the sport subplot, we already saw a bit of that already

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Box is my current favourite. It's super wholesome and the art is gorgeous. No harem, no drama, thank you.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The Lord doesn't matter 1-37

(領主什公的元所滑唆)

Something different this time, a Chinese fantasy manhwa about a young Lord with very little money or influence, rising to lead a city with the help of some very talented outcasts. Some summary say it's an isekai but if it is, that element is extremely small in the backstory that I don't even consider it.

It's a pretty fun read, the protagonist doesn't have any "cheat" abilities and makes it through situations relying mostly on sassy charisma, witty, and a willingness to get dirty. He kinda reminds me of the main character from "The Duke of Mount Deer" if you're familiar with that story- I wouldn't be surprised if Wei Xiao Bao was the main reference for this character because I'm getting strong vibes.

The main downside I would say is the translation is a bit spotty which can lead to some confusion, but if you can work with that I'll say you have a good time.

21-1590948814.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
New manga sub app announced, Azuki, which looks like it only contains Kodansha titles (so far?) so similar to Mangamo's lineup, just with more Kodansha.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Digital Manga Service Azuki Launches on June 28

Azuki to offer manga from Kodansha USA at launch // KiraKira Media Inc. announced the new digital manga service Azuki that will launch on June 28 on iOS, Android,...

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
New manga sub app announced, Azuki, which looks like it only contains Kodansha titles (so far?) so similar to Mangamo's lineup, just with more Kodansha.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Digital Manga Service Azuki Launches on June 28

Azuki to offer manga from Kodansha USA at launch // KiraKira Media Inc. announced the new digital manga service Azuki that will launch on June 28 on iOS, Android,...
Looks like the usual lot they throw out to subscription services (Inkr, Izenio, Mangamo, Kindle Unlimited).
Penty of those manga are excellent mind you.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the usual lot they throw out to subscription services (Inkr, Izenio, Mangamo, Kindle Unlimited).

I wonder if this will have selections from other publishers, too. I haven't yet found a secondary service to go into, since they all seem to have a bunch of Kodansha, and then a sprinkling of other random things. Mangamo seemed promising, but still lacking and only slowly uploads new chapters.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this will have selections from other publishers, too. I haven't yet found a secondary service to go into, since they all seem to have a bunch of Kodansha, and then a sprinkling of other random things. Mangamo seemed promising, but still lacking and only slowly uploads new chapters.
I'm curretly using a free trial of kindle Unlimited to read Drops of God since the final batch of the 40+ volumes got released. I'm only using a free trial though.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Azuki's lineup seems good, but I'm mostly excited that they have 16 simulpubs. I'm down for another $5/mo if the simulpub list includes at least a few that I'm interested in.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curretly using a free trial of kindle Unlimited to read Drops of God since the final batch of the 40+ volumes got released. I'm only using a free trial though.

Oh I have Prime Reading that also comes with a few of those titles. Been slowly going through Initial D on there. I also use a friend's Comixology account (right now checking out Shaman King) but even that is just the same ol' Kodansha offerings. I bought a number of Kodansha Humble Bundles, so a lot of these offerings are stuff I have.

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Flag 8 final volume had like the longest author afterward I've ever read from a manga, was nice seeing KAITO detail the whole process from start to end, good decision from the editors to make Toma's love interest known in chp 5.

Good ending, will post more when the digital vault version comes.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
BLue Flag 8 final volume had like the longest author afterward I've ever read from a manga, was nice seeing KAITO detail the whole process from start to end, good decision from the editors to make Toma's love interest known in chp 5.

Good ending, will post more when the digital vault version comes.
Thought Blue Flag fumbled its endgame so badly. I'm actually tempted to egt the last volume to hear what the author thought about it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oshi no Ko 47
That talk about wanting to never let a successful manga end just reminds me that some people at Jump must still be kicking themselves letting Demon Slayer end when it did.

Meanwhile, they're probably trying to convince Gege to keep the Jujutsu Kaisen gravy train rolling even though he's been very open about wanting to end it as soon as possible lol

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oshi no Ko 47
That talk about wanting to never let a successful manga end just reminds me that some people at Jump must still be kicking themselves letting Demon Slayer end when it did.

Meanwhile, they're probably trying to convince Gege to keep the Jujutsu Kaisen gravy train rolling even though he's been very open about wanting to end it as soon as possible lol
It's what I respect about modern Jump a lot. Even if it's against their best interests, modern Jump manga actually end within a decent time frame now. Demon Slayer has a clear goal, reach it, then end. I respect the hell out of that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's what I respect about modern Jump a lot. Even if it's against their best interests, modern Jump manga actually end within a decent time frame now. Demon Slayer has a clear goal, reach it, then end. I respect the hell out of that.

I feel the same way about Demon Slayer's ending as I did with Black Cat's. I'm happy for the author to get in, tell the story they wanted to tell, and got out, but I'm not happy as a fan of the world that was established. Both DS and BC's worlds felt so unexplored and that there were more interesting adventures to see, especially from characters who got some level of hype but ultimately didn't do much in the narrative.

Of course having a very long running series is no guarantee you'll meet that need for me. Toriko infamously hyped up a lot of upcoming areas and events in the Gourmet World, then either due to cancelation or author wanting to be done with the story got rushed through in single panel montages. Also exploring everything means nothing if you don't do enough interesting exploration with those ideas like Naruto.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
By the time Kimetsu got any big the end was probably already in sights so i doubt shueisha thinks it a big loss, they already expected it to end
Now Act Age was the big loss for them imo, I wonder what manga managed to live because of its sudden death

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Bugei Doukyou Neru is getting serialized in jump
I've read the 1st 2 chapters out of the full 4, it's decent
Helps that I like martial arts manga

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really read anything right now (Dr. Stone sometimes), but I'm looking for a good sports manga. My favourites are Baby Steps and Haikyuu (and the Ping Pong anime).

Blue Box sounds interesting but I find that the mix of sports and romance usually turns me off. I liked Chihayafuru but whenever anything involving romance happened I just kinda glazed over it.
The tiny bit of romance in Baby Steps was fine (best manga relationship).

Oh shit! Could this be a sequel series?
I hope not. Silver Spoon was amazing and I liked it far more than FMA, though it was heavily hurt by the sparse releases towards the end. So I hope she does something completely new, I feel like FMA is complete enough anyway.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Case Study of Vanitas Vol. 8

rQfE0J3_d.webp

Based

Also me before reading the volume: "I'm hoping for some more Domi screentime! She's my favorite female character :)"
*monkey's paw curls-*

The Case Study of Vanitas Chapter 46.5-Current

572ed90a98fbfda110f8fb2cc770e1cb7ec0fb20490111a9bffd59dd392e853b_1.jpg

Wow I chose the worst time to get caught up
Why are Mommy and Daddy fighting?
God everything sucks

Anime's gonna feel almost nostalgic to watch, like "Ah yes, back when things were peaceful and no one was hurt :)"

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't really read anything right now (Dr. Stone sometimes), but I'm looking for a good sports manga. My favourites are Baby Steps and Haikyuu (and the Ping Pong anime).

Blue Box sounds interesting but I find that the mix of sports and romance usually turns me off. I liked Chihayafuru but whenever anything involving romance happened I just kinda glazed over it.
The tiny bit of romance in Baby Steps was fine (best manga relationship).

I hope not. Silver Spoon was amazing and I liked it far more than FMA, though it was heavily hurt by the sparse releases towards the end. So I hope she does something completely new, I feel like FMA is complete enough anyway.
Slam Dunk is still king of sports manga to me with Haikyuu right behind it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kengan Omega 114
Damn, this is probably the best fight of the tournament thus far.

Finally, both sides are looking strong, and I'm not even sure who I want or expect to win at this point. Nitoku is really cool and I like him a lot, but Purgatory really needs a good W, and plot-wise, it'll make the next fight more interesting if Liu wins instead. Plus, he's definitely grown on me with these past few chapters.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised to find out all the best episodes in season two of Takagi-san were Anime Originals.

It was the first time that has ever happened.

yeah, the best part is that season 2 is the most the Takagi-Nishikata relationship has progressed; in the manga, the invitation to the festival was some bonus chapter even

dunno if they are ever doing a season 3; maybe by now it has enough chapters to do so. If they wanted the graduation chapter could be modified to be the end to the season, or maybe create something whole cloth

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about Demon Slayer's ending as I did with Black Cat's. I'm happy for the author to get in, tell the story they wanted to tell, and got out, but I'm not happy as a fan of the world that was established. Both DS and BC's worlds felt so unexplored and that there were more interesting adventures to see, especially from characters who got some level of hype but ultimately didn't do much in the narrative.

Of course having a very long running series is no guarantee you'll meet that need for me. Toriko infamously hyped up a lot of upcoming areas and events in the Gourmet World, then either due to cancelation or author wanting to be done with the story got rushed through in single panel montages. Also exploring everything means nothing if you don't do enough interesting exploration with those ideas like Naruto.
Demon Slayer didn't do anything with it's world. There was very little exploring outside of like two or three locations in Japan and the Demon Slayer ranks served no purpose because you just had the main three, the Pillars, and Murata. At the end it felt like Gotouge either forgot or didn't care about certain things and then just power rushed towards the end only for the series to blow up during the final arc when there was no turning back.

The way Demon Slayer wraps up is bad IMO

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Shino Can't Say Her Name

Finally had my physical copy of this delivered earlier this week. Been excited for this one to release, and I have to say Denpa Books did an amazing job with the physical version. The cover uses that nice textured, higher-quality paper stock and the page construction quality seems to be good also.

Considering this is from Shuzo Oshimi of Inside Mari fame, this being a grounded story is a nice change of pace. It's a story of a high school girl who's partially mute due to a bad stuttering problem (haven't read through it again since reading it a while back, but I think it was an issue with vowels or something along those lines). While I personally haven't had that issue, I was bullied pretty badly in middle school so I got pretty teary-eyed with some of the events later on that really hit home.

It's not a 10/10 manga or anything (story is simple, but to the point and effective), but it's worth picking up if you want a good emotional read.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy's Abyss 1-57

Been awhile since I binged a manga up to its current point in a day
a8c.jpg

This manga is just awful for everyone involved, like a train wreck in slow motion that fell careening down a cliff and then exploded on the ground into a million pieces

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why did nobody tell me that MYF was fucking adorable last week?

(yes, I'm only just getting caught up on last week's SJ)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boys Abyss is a guilty pleasure. It's amazing how awful everyone in it is and how the abyss gets deeper every chapter. It is unintentionally hilarious.

They need to nuke that town from orbit.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Boy's Abyss 1-57

Been awhile since I binged a manga up to its current point in a day
a8c.jpg

This manga is just awful for everyone involved, like a train wreck in slow motion that fell careening down a cliff and then exploded on the ground into a million pieces
I have like 30 more chapters to read I started last year. It's the best. I have no idea why more people don't talk about it

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
my hero academia vigilante 1-4
I kinda dismissed this the first time I read it since the art style is noticeably just trying to ape horishiki but going through it again and knowing it's not going to get trashed after like 3 volumes i'm quite enjoying myself.

the world horishiki invented is just fun to see from the perspective of 'working adults'/college students instead of perpetually from the high schooler's POV

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda dismissed this the first time I read it since the art style is noticeably just trying to ape horishiki but going through it again and knowing it's not going to get trashed after like 3 volumes i'm quite enjoying myself.

the world horishiki invented is just fun to see from the perspective of 'working adults'/college students instead of perpetually from the high schooler's POV
The original-original pitch for MHA had Deku as a salarayman, and even in the actual series people have pointed out the strong gravitational pull the adult characters seem to have on the story. I think Horikoshi would agree, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont really understand that point of view when the writer does consult with horikoshi and the artstyle is close enough but different enough that I kinda prefer Betten court especially when horikoshi does a few illustrations in vigilantes volumes. Felt as if the manga is used to give the older characters backstory and importance that he couldn't do in the main series.