• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
How do people feel about Hell's Paradise?

Considering starting it. Know nothing about, besides that it is a revenge story and involves ninjas (I think)

A very good action battle manga with fun cast and some cool bizarre looking monster. Story is pretty straightforward, and there's some minor twist, but overall its really good.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Soloist in a Cage 20

Satisfying ending for such a short series. Still highly recommended.

Oct 25, 2017
Sakamoto Days 27

Great cover and color page. Fun chapter too. This weapon guy's a total freak but will likely go down with ease.

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry 8

Don't really get the need for the extra pages.

Exploding kernels is cool, personality isnt.

Cop and Dolphin 46

Wonder how long Murofushi sentence is

Magu Chan 47
E3xlnI0WUAYgGjH

Obligatory Nintendo console chapter.

Fun, wonder if we will get the Mario Kart chapter in the future.

Witch Watch 18
E3xpRIaXwAIAg9b

E3xqjK5X0AAvaZn

Best chapter.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Blox
Oh monster hunter, definitely a priority up there with your girlfriend

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MYF was cute with the Ai chapter this week.

Candy Flurry 8

Cop and Dolphin 46

Magu Chan 47
E3xlnI0WUAYgGjH

Witch Watch 18
E3xpRIaXwAIAg9b

E3xqjK5X0AAvaZn

Best chapter.
Yeah great chapter

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not a bad week overall, but Candy Flurry was very meh. Sucks that it had to be a bad guy and not another member. At least he has a neat power?

Candy Flurry 8

Cop and Dolphin 46

Magu Chan 47

Witch Watch 18

Best chapter.
Wonderful chapter.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Ok NOW my mind is blown! I NEVER made that connection, but can totally see it (although their personalities could NOT be any more different).
Looking all this up put me on a wiki walk that led to me learning the Rose of Versailles manga started coming out in English for the first time last year.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Soloist in a Cage 20

Satisfying ending for such a short series. Still highly recommended.

Yup, I was curious with how they would end it, and it was indeed satisfying.

Looking all this up put me on a wiki walk that led to me learning the Rose of Versailles manga started coming out in English for the first time last year.

All deluxe hardcover editions, too! Plan on picking them up at some point (hoping they will show up on the Rightstuf birthday/holiday sale...)

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
With the third week of Pride Month now upon us, I have another five(!) series from Webtoon's Pride Month 2021 section for you to check out.

- The Prince of Southland: Donnie Ali's shiny reputation is soiled the night he kissed an android, for romantic relationships with droids are deemed too dangerous and forbidden. But after his press release, another potential scandal emerges when he saves Jensen, a man on the run from an unknown assailant. Now living under the same roof, and paparazzi on every corner, could this romance be even more disastrous than his first?

- Asterion: When Asterion wished upon a star for a better life, they never imagined an agent of the stars would actually come and grant it! Now they are the newest member of the Starlight Assembly, tasked with granting wishes made on the stars that light up the night sky. But even with their seemingly unlimited abilities, not every wish will come true...

- Cape of Spirits: A former heir to the throne, Jinsei Kimura is now a fugitive on the run from the very empire he once called home. Now, to clear his name, Jinsei must fight alongside a team once sworn to deliver his head – working together to uncover the truth behind the coins that power their civilization. In a world without trust, where long-time allies are now enemies, can Jinsei harness the power of the Spirit Coins to find his own personal redemption?

- Four Leaf: Lupe hasn't been able to adapt very well to the new school… though she hasn't really been able to adapt to anything ever. Four Leaf is a story about a bunch of dangerous magical girls, but most specially about one not-at-all-magical girl.

- City of Blank: In a world where ghostly Blanks can steal your face – and your life – at any moment, a young boy named Rex hunts for his brother's killer. Cursed with the unique power to physically touch Blanks, Rex starts to uncover darker secrets at the city's center and in his own past. Will Rex unmask the killer, or will he become just another faceless victim in the City of Blank?

Of all the series I read this week, The Prince of Southland is the one with the least chapters currently available, which means it is also the one that I am least able to give an accurate recommendation of. That said, what I have read of the series so far does go a long way to painting an extremely interesting cast of characters as well as the world they inhabit; one with multiple different strata of segregation and disenfranchisement. There's this whole air of mystique around how the world came to be like this, not to mention the plans and motivations of each of the story's separate groups and factions, that keeps pulling you in when there is a lull in the story. The main meat of the story so far, however, is the blossoming relationship between Donnie and Jensen, two men who couldn't be more different from each other. And to say they're both utter disaster gays is an understatement. It's utterly adorkable. With furious blushes all-around (and the occasional bit of attempted murder).

Asterion is the first of two series I read this week with a non-binary protagonist, with Asterion themselves explicitly using the Mx and Mixter titles. For myself, someone, who, coming off of Fluidum is still in the midst of figuring out their gender identity, it was really cool to see a story centred around someone similar to myself (something I hadn't expected going into the series). Outside of Asterion themself, the world of Asterion is really fascinating, from how and why the Starlight Assembly was formed, to how the agents are granted their powers, and just what is Sol up to, and what - if anything - does it have to do with the Starlight Assembly's new owner? Honestly, this story (so far) is just an amazing feel-good read, with plenty of goofy comedic moments to back up its truly heartfelt scenes and messages. Just the sort of series I recommend reading in the evening with a nice, warm glass of hot chocolate!

Of all the series I have read on Webtoon, Cape of Spirits is the first fully completed one. At only eighty-nine chapters long (as well as an afterword from the author) it definitely isn't the longest of series, and its story certainly moves at a brisk pace. There are certainly some quibbles I have with the series (quibbles that the author herself laments somewhat in the afterword), but having completed it, I don't really hold those issues against the story all that much. Not when I compare them to the ideas and imagery this story and its world presents. On that note, this series probably has some of my favourite character designs I've experienced, of late. I'm not even sure why exactly, they just are. With more than one just stuck floating around in the back of my mind. All of this to say, that if you've got a couple of evenings free and want to immerse yourself headfirst into a stunning world and engaging story, Cape of Spirits is the story for you!

Let me just get this out the way and say that Four Leaf has the outstanding and fantastic art design and direction of any of the series I have read these past couple of weeks. Everything about it just feels like it has flown right from the mind of someone like Hayao Miyazaki, Keisuke Nishimori, or Osamu Tezuka. Everything about it is just so vibrant, colourful and alive. Everything in the series, from its character and locations to the creatures and weapons, has this almost child-like softness to it, which only serves to accentuate the dark and suspenseful aspects of the story to greater effect. And don't let the art style fool you, this is a story full of suspense, unease, and tension. It is jam-packed to the brim with mysteries, and it is constantly adding either layers to already-existing mysteries or whole new mysteries entirely. Always answering just enough before obscuring the path forward once again to keep you fully enthralled. The main character, Lupe, is an utter delight too, and the second non-binary protagonist of this week's series. Honestly, the way she handles constantly being gendered is alone almost worth reading the series for. I think this might be a series for those of you in here that love Radiant, I'm not sure why, I just do. Trust me, Four Leaf is rather amazing.

City of Blank is a weird one, and not just because I'm not entirely sure why it was in Webtoon's Pride Month collection (though I do have my suspicions), but because even sixty-five chapters into the story, I'm not entirely sure just what the hell anything is. Similar to Four Leaf, City of Blank is a series full of mystery and intrigue. And while it may not have as many mysteries to it as the former, it certainly keeps the ones it has much, much closer to its chest. How the series treats its mysteries also makes it rather hard for me to recommend it to you without spoiling the story, which is a shame, as it just might be the best series I read this week (it was either this or Four Leaf). What I will say, however, is that the world and the central mystery of the plot are more than enough to carry the story the first several chapters, and by then you should be getting into the meat proper of the series, and touching upon some of the other central story threads that weave together into this Gordian Knot of a story. All this to say, that if you enjoyed my previous recommendation Parallel City, City of Blank should be right up your alley too.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru 1-74

(The Clueless Transfer Student Is Assertive)

Holy shit this manga is adorable! I don't read many manga setting in elementary school, let alone ones that are romcom, but was definitely one of the most enjoyable reads I had the pleasure of experiencing.

The initial few chapters were kinda samey with the format, but once they introduced some light family/friend drama it really became more engaging especially when the titular transfer student started to take notice of his own feelings and seem a little less 'invincible' as the story continues.

The chapters are very short and light on dialogue so it would not take too long to cover up to the latest material. Definitely highly recommended if you're in the mood for some good fuwafuwa moments.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I started reading Spy x Family and it's fucking amazing. I haven't had this much fun since Kaguya-sama.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Shueisha announced on Monday that Naoya Matsumoto's Kaiju No. 8 manga has surpassed three million copies in circulation (including print and digital copies, but not all sold yet). This series is the fastest Shonen Jump+ manga (as opposed to manga running in Shueisha's print magazines) to reach this milestone.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Kaiju No. 8 Is Fastest Shonen Jump Plus Manga to Top 3 Million Copies in Circulation

Manga's 3rd volume launched on June 4 // Shueisha announced on Monday that Naoya Matsumoto's Kaiju No. 8 manga has surpassed three million copies in circulation...

Go Kaiju go!

Oct 25, 2017
Talentless Nana 29 - 61

Anime ending was pretty non existent so started reading at 2:30am or so.

Love that Nanao is back hope he plays even more of a role and gets back at Nana, dont really want her to get out of the plot without being killed or something, just would be interesting for the story to do that instead of just redeeming her or something. Also think Moe should probably die as well.

Otherwise, mad that all the guys I like end up just dying, both blonds, the bald gravity dude, Nanao (who thankfully came back), only Jin, Kyoya, and magnetic goof are all I have.

The new class leader is pretty good. Love that he is smart and cunning and really the antagonist we needed. Please outsmart him Kyoya (also guessing Kyoya gets memory loss whenever he uses his talent?)

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
March comes in like a lion

I've seen this manga being recommended multiple times, but for some reason never bothered to check it out. It talks about the life of a young shogi pro player and the family of three sisters that he happens to come across while living alone. The style really reminded me of Chihayafuru, but it somehow managed to go even deeper in both the human and the sport aspects. There are plenty of technical explanations of moves and games situations, and I believe the author collaborates with actual pro players for research. This alone got me a little interested in shogi and how it differentiates itself from chess.
However, what made an even bigger impact on me was the multiple slices of life that were approached in the course of the story. Loss, bullying, anxiety, depression were all explored, but also happiness, friendship, kindness, sense of community and forging of bonds with strangers.
A section that particularly touched me was the bullying of Hina and her friend at school. I liked that the author thoroughly explored the situation, showing the side of the children, the school and the parents. As someone who is looking to become a teacher, it made me question if I would be able to properly recognize the signs as soon as the bullying starts, and how to best approach the situation. Making mistakes as an adult can do serious damage in this situation.
Another thing that left an impression on me was the paneling style, and how the thoughts are split between bubbles and lines around or across the panels. It gave a sense of the general mood that the characters were feeling, split from the precise words that they were thinking.
I can definitely see why it's being recommended so often, and I can't wait to see what the author has planned next

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai 1-72

(Kubo-san Doesn't Leave Me Be (a Mob))

Another cute romcom series about a boy with so little presence that nobody ever noticed him and the one girl who does and can't get enough of teasing him.

Initially it reminded me of Takagi-san except Kubo-san isn't as "invincible" as Takagi was, but then I started to think it's more like that one couple from Tsurezure Children (Minagawa/Furuya)... And this was before I found out that Hanazawa Kana voiced the lead heroine as well.

224313l.webp

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai 1-72

(Kubo-san Doesn't Leave Me Be (a Mob))

Another cute romcom series about a boy with so little presence that nobody ever noticed him and the one girl who does and can't get enough of teasing him.

Initially it reminded me of Takagi-san except Kubo-san isn't as "invincible" as Takagi was, but then I started to think it's more like that one couple from Tsurezure Children (Minagawa/Furuya)... And this was before I found out that Hanazawa Kana voiced the lead heroine as well.

224313l.webp

Legit just finished Takagi the anime a couple days ago and was going to come here and ask for something similar. Thanks.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh, the anime. i was like, takagi's finished?!?!?!?!

they need to animate moto takagi-san

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
oh, the anime. i was like, takagi's finished?!?!?!?!

they need to animate moto takagi-san

Agreed completely. We got a glimpse of it with a very short and cropped scene of Takagi looking at camp photos.

But I'm not sure it's done, I just finished the two seasons out there. I would be okay with either a season 3 or a moto season!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I was surprised to find out all the best episodes in season two of Takagi-san were Anime Originals.

It was the first time that has ever happened.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
March comes in like a lion

I've seen this manga being recommended multiple times, but for some reason never bothered to check it out. It talks about the life of a young shogi pro player and the family of three sisters that he happens to come across while living alone. The style really reminded me of Chihayafuru, but it somehow managed to go even deeper in both the human and the sport aspects. There are plenty of technical explanations of moves and games situations, and I believe the author collaborates with actual pro players for research. This alone got me a little interested in shogi and how it differentiates itself from chess.
However, what made an even bigger impact on me was the multiple slices of life that were approached in the course of the story. Loss, bullying, anxiety, depression were all explored, but also happiness, friendship, kindness, sense of community and forging of bonds with strangers.
A section that particularly touched me was the bullying of Hina and her friend at school. I liked that the author thoroughly explored the situation, showing the side of the children, the school and the parents. As someone who is looking to become a teacher, it made me question if I would be able to properly recognize the signs as soon as the bullying starts, and how to best approach the situation. Making mistakes as an adult can do serious damage in this situation.
Another thing that left an impression on me was the paneling style, and how the thoughts are split between bubbles and lines around or across the panels. It gave a sense of the general mood that the characters were feeling, split from the precise words that they were thinking.
I can definitely see why it's being recommended so often, and I can't wait to see what the author has planned next
The two actually did an interview together.

karice.wordpress.com

Translation: Suetsugu Yuki x Umino Chika, a BE LOVE Special Dialogue

Teaser Competitive karuta and shōgi—a discussion between the two authors depicting teenagers betting their lives on their respective traditional Japanese sports! Their close (fellowship) has brough…

I'd definitely check out the anime too.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That poorly thought out Hunter x Hunter thread bump in off topic has been the most entertaining thing to come out of HxH in the last few years.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Oh there's the memo :x) The ranking this week are interesting at the top, with the big 2 absent.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm not usually one for sports-based manga but the slow-and-steady romance in Blue Box has already provided us with some cute moments, it just makes me smile while reading it so I usually save reading it until last.

Lack of fanservice is just a nice bonus.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Damn, even with the big two absent, good for Blue Box. Romance series have never been my thing, but I've been liking it.

It's not bombing yet, but Candy Flurry still doesn't seem to being doing too hot... All I'm saying is that something's gotta fall if Magu-chan is going to keep dodging the bottom three, and that's probably gonna have to be it

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Red Hood getting serialized. The translated one-shot is out there, for those curious.

Here's another one-shot from the author too.

shonenjumpplus.com

ヤドカリの国 - 川口勇貴 | 少年ジャンプ+

ヤドカリに地上を乗っ取られた!?ヤツらに奪われた家屋を取り戻せ!次世代作家が贈る工事エンタメ!

Nice, the one shot was a lot of fun.

Also super happy to see how well Blue Box is doing, such a breath of fresh air for SJ.