• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Did they give more details on the sub service? I'm dying for a similar product to Manga+ and the Shonen Jump app.

There's Mangamo as well.

Jujutsu Kaisen - 150

Ever since the end of the Shibuya Incident arc I have no idea what is happening in JJK. I can't keep all the Zen'in straight or what they are trying to accomplish, or what's going on at all.

Also I know mangaka have impossibly difficult and stressful jobs and schedules, but the art has taken a real dive. And page 18/19 seem like unfinished sketches? I wonder if this series would be better with a monthly release schedule.

Yeah I'm lost too and glad I'm not the only one :x I was also unsure if those pages were purposely unfinished, or if it was with artistic intent.

I mean, we know it's been at the end game for a while.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
One Piece 1014
Fastly approaching the lowest point in the arc with Luffy out and in the sea, Kiku in a bad way, Kin'emon seemingly out, and everything seeming to fall apart. What tho...is Momo talking about?
I don't know what Oda is setting up, but he's doing a great job lol. How many acts are left in Wano if we follow the kabuki template?
I think next week will be the end of Act 3, so two more acts left and the 5th being more of a wrap-up.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck was real good this week. Very much in favor of Mui stepping up like this - she's always been a fun side character, so having her enter the main cast is nice.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, are there actually any Spy X Family fans in here that like Loid more than either Anya or Yor?

I like Loid to be clear, just curious if anyone has him as their fav

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Curious, are there actually any Spy X Family fans in here that like Loid more than either Anya or Yor?

I'd say that I like Loid more than Yor, but that's probably mostly because he's had way more focus in the story, which helps him a lot IMO. Seeing Mr Serious Spy Man getting roped into all this family stuff is always fun.

Anya is factually impossible to top tho, of course.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wait hold up Candy Flurry was kinda hittin this week. I do love my shonen tests
Yeah, it's starting to hit a stride, may have a chance to step up, kinda expect her to get exposed quick, but the new guy being earnest but stuck in appearances should be fun, let's see if he has the skills to back it up
I'm enjoying the "everyone is weird/dumb" thing much more in Candy Flurry than in I Tell C
Doing it from the beginning helps a lot. The issue in I Tell C is it didn't show up till post prologue

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a feeling that Kowloon is safe... for now (and have time for the story to grow more). Dolphin Cop is ending, and i tell c sounds much lower on the popularity. So if anything, it has the best chance of sticking around a bit longer.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Today's chapter was better, but I'm still not feeling Candy Flurry. It's just so paint-by-numbers, and it's missing that "spark" to really grab me

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that I like Loid more than Yor, but that's probably mostly because he's had way more focus in the story, which helps him a lot IMO. Seeing Mr Serious Spy Man getting roped into all this family stuff is always fun.

Anya is factually impossible to top tho, of course.

So you do exist, interesting lol

Though fair point about Loid having more story focus up until now... but now it's Yor's time to shine!

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a feeling that Kowloon is safe... for now (and have time for the story to grow more). Dolphin Cop is ending, and i tell c sounds much lower on the popularity. So if anything, it has the best chance of sticking around a bit longer.
I interpreted this Kowloon chapter as the opposite myself. A timeskip out of nowhere didn't seem like a great sign.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm glad Yor is FINALLY getting an arc to focus on her and her skills as an assassin. She's spent far too long of SxF as the joke "lol she can't cook" house wife character.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Yeah I'm lost too and glad I'm not the only one :x I was also unsure if those pages were purposely unfinished, or if it was with artistic intent.
I'm rather confused as to how anyone is lost with regards to this weeks chapter's events.

And I highly doubt it was artistic intent, Gege had to do a double colour page spread this week and the magazine cover. I assume they were so swamped with work that they had to leave something unfinished and those two pages were the ones they chose as the "least important" of them. It's just another example of how shitty the manga industry is.

The colour pages are glorious though.
unknown.png

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I think I like the whole family equally. I love how they balance each other out. I also think Loid has maybe more development to overcome than the other characters to accept and love the family as a family more than a job. He has moments, certainly, but I still think he's got a lot of planned growth in that department.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Jujutsu Kaisen - 150

Ever since the end of the Shibuya Incident arc I have no idea what is happening in JJK. I can't keep all the Zen'in straight or what they are trying to accomplish, or what's going on at all.

Also I know mangaka have impossibly difficult and stressful jobs and schedules, but the art has taken a real dive. And page 18/19 seem like unfinished sketches? I wonder if this series would be better with a monthly release schedule.
I'm exactly the same. I feel like I'm supposed to be interacting with an online JJK community (like the OT here) and talking about it weekly to keep shit straight. I'm constantly forgetting who the fuck people are and why shit is suddenly happening. It's simultaneously moving too slow (setting up the game) and moving to fast (randomly killing characters off and dropping huge developments in terms of world-building and powers). It feels super messy, I think.
I think Hunter x Hunter has desensitized me on this stuff. As for what's going on, rereading it from the start has really helped me a lot. Before doing that i felt like I was just watching the action scenes and missing 90% of the plot
I have also thought that it may require a re-read, but I just don't like the series enough to dedicate that sort of time when there are so many other manga I want to read

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the qualm with greater world building, but Border has been intricately built to feel like a living breathing place that exists outside the main characters at least.
Actually, I like the greater worldbuilding, it's Border specifically I take issue with.

So, there's alternate dimensions that draw alien invasions. Cool. They're centralized to this one town in Japan, but they happen all over the world at smaller levels. Okay. So there's an organization that's formed to fight them, right? But they literally don't exist outside of this one Japanese town, despite the fact that they've got all this incredible technology and that these invasions are a global phenomenon. Not only do they not defend anything outside of that town, they literally don't recruit people from anywhere outside of that one prefecture. Not just Japan, mind, but literally that one part of Japan! This is in spite of having huge personnel requirements, and their number one criteria being an attribute that's apparently both in-born and random (trion levels).

And then they take this defense force, consisting mostly of children, and pay them like shit. Like, actual comically poorly paid. Their big incentive for joining a multi-month mission risking life and limb is a 500 dollar bonus. I still can't get over how hilariously poorly compensated even top-rank Border agents are.

It's not totally immersion-breaking or anything, it's just... very dumb, so it's best not to spend too much time thinking about it.

Also, Border is a 100% private group that's apparently empowered to negotiate with legit other planets?

Like I said, it's... a lot. The internal structures and politics of Border are cool but everything else is mindbending.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I like the greater worldbuilding, it's Border specifically I take issue with.

So, there's alternate dimensions that draw alien invasions. Cool. They're centralized to this one town in Japan, but they happen all over the world at smaller levels. Okay. So there's an organization that's formed to fight them, right? But they literally don't exist outside of this one Japanese town, despite the fact that they've got all this incredible technology and that these invasions are a global phenomenon. Not only do they not defend anything outside of that town, they literally don't recruit people from anywhere outside of that one prefecture. Not just Japan, mind, but literally that one part of Japan! This is in spite of having huge personnel requirements, and their number one criteria being an attribute that's apparently both in-born and random (trion levels).

And then they take this defense force, consisting mostly of children, and pay them like shit. Like, actual comically poorly paid. Their big incentive for joining a multi-month mission risking life and limb is a 500 dollar bonus. I still can't get over how hilariously poorly compensated even top-rank Border agents are.

It's not totally immersion-breaking or anything, it's just... very dumb, so it's best not to spend too much time thinking about it.

Also, Border is a 100% private group that's apparently empowered to negotiate with legit other planets?
Yeah, I was definitely hoping the payment thing would have been adjusted to make more sense between the time of it being answered as a Q&A question to being integrated into the story. Or just not being integrated at all because it was REALLY questionable.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond Act 2 254
I binged through ace of diamond back in 2015. It's been a while, and now after so long we're finally getting the rematch we've been waiting for. Kinda emotional honestly. It's gonna be a long ass match, but I'm buckling in for the ride.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Loid is the necessary straight man of the family. I like him, but he's not my favorite, though I can't think of a straight man character who is.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Loid is the necessary straight man of the family. I like him, but he's not my favorite, though I can't think of a straight man character who is.

Good point, and well yeah he's about as "straight man" as you can get in this 'family'. I wonder when we will finally see them find out about each other. Probably not for a while, but I look forward to it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Anya is the best, obviously, but I'm not sure who I'd say my second favorite is. Loid and Yor definitely up there, for sure, but like... you can't compare with Anya. It's not even fair.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Same, time skip is good, training arc would have been troubling
I interpreted this Kowloon chapter as the opposite myself. A timeskip out of nowhere didn't seem like a great sign.
Nah, people said the same about undead unluck half a year ago and it's still going strong. From a story perspective a training arc this early on isn't needed. We have the first act of them forming the team and establishing a development routine(which was also abbreviated in the first chapter). We already had a practice game and established a foe. Time period is short enough that there wouldn't have been a major practice game or anything either

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Same, time skip is good, training arc would have been troubling

They still need 2 more players, but I'm sure they will find them at high school, during practice or something. I'm glad they didn't go through a training arc too, so they can focus on getting the last team members, and practice to beat their rival.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They still need 2 more players, but I'm sure they will find them at high school, during practice or something. I'm glad they didn't go through a training arc too, so they can focus on getting the last team members, and practice to beat their rival.
It's always possible we get the borrow from other teams trope. Or recruit no name freshman. So far we don't have any raw talent/no background characters. Things have been pretty unique that they've only gotten actual players. Usually a sports manga has an outsider or two