• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Anyone here read either of the following?

- unOrdinary: Nobody paid much attention to John – just a normal teenager at a high school where the social elite happen to possess unthinkable powers and abilities. But John's got a secret past that threatens to bring down the school's whole social order – and much more. Fulfilling his destiny won't be easy though, because there are battles, frenemies and deadly conspiracies around every corner.

- Not So Shoujo Love Story: Romance-super-fan Rei Chan is ready for her first boyfriend and she knows just who it'll be: the most handsome boy in school, Hansum Ochinchin. But her plans for the perfect love story are derailed when the most popular girl in class declares herself a rival....for Rei's heart?! This is the year her not so shoujo love story begins!

Both seem interesting enough, but I'd love some first-hand opinions on them before I take the plunge!

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
- Not So Shoujo Love Story: Romance-super-fan Rei Chan is ready for her first boyfriend and she knows just who it'll be: the most handsome boy in school, Hansum Ochinchin. But her plans for the perfect love story are derailed when the most popular girl in class declares herself a rival....for Rei's heart?! This is the year her not so shoujo love story begins!

Both seem interesting enough, but I'd love some first-hand opinions on them before I take the plunge!

The premise alone has sold me so I hope it's good lol

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
The premise alone has sold me so I hope it's good lol
unknown.png

I love her already.

unknown.png

Okay then...

Last edited:

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nagatoro 82

Wow she isn't even pretending to hide it anymore. She outright told it to his face, it's pretty much a matter of him solving his own issues now, it's pretty great. I hope the new character isn't a love rival, it's not like these 2 are passive to warrant someone to prod them further, hell if this chapter went one he'd have to answer if he wants to kiss her or not.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
MP100 Vol. 7 finally has a release date.

Mob Psycho 100 Volume 7 TPB :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

From the creator of One-Punch Man! It's back to business at Spirits & Such . . . but since it seems all the ghosts are resting in pe ...

So 11 months after Vol. 6 and 9 months after the Reigen volume. I know covid is slowing things down, but really, Dark Horse? I guess they have that reputation for a reason.

Also, robotzombie (since I remember you were wondering about it).

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
MP100 Vol. 7 finally has a release date.

Mob Psycho 100 Volume 7 TPB :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

From the creator of One-Punch Man! It's back to business at Spirits & Such . . . but since it seems all the ghosts are resting in pe ...

So 11 months after Vol. 6 and 9 months after the Reigen volume. I know covid is slowing things down, but really, Dark Horse? I guess they have that reputation for a reason.

Also, robotzombie (since I remember you were wondering about it).

Thanks for the head's up!

Oct 27, 2017
Mieruko Chan 34

Damn. Tons of plot this chapter. So the foxes really want Hana because they made a deal. I am not sure how they can get out of this mess. The shady guy does have that granny needs to tell Miko more. I see her point that she wants to protect Miko but at this point not telling her isn't a good thing. Miko can see them much more clearly and needs as much help as she needs. Poor girl.

Using Judas Priest as a way to distract the demons was awesome haha
I never expected this but it is badass.

I am really glad they escaped in time. Those demons were aware and had killer intent seeing how they destroyed the charm.

This sounds really good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I guess I could just use pdf's in iBooks, but any reccomended readers for iPhone I can use with the humble bundle I got?

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Flag Volume 7

I guess there's three week lag time in print manga going onto the vault.

Liked this volume especially with Taichi thinking really hard about things after Toma confessed to him, and he sat and listened to his classmates and everyone else give him his two cents. Still hoping the two go out or something, mainly because I think there is something there between them with all that handholding in their past and even older still looking towards each other for something or another.

The runaway scene is my favorite
E0j2bPWWQAMio2D

Final two chapters was the most emotional, its like Toma really wants to tell his family what is going on, who he likes, and all but even when all is there for him he just can't, felt super relatable and probably resonates with a lot of people, good scene. Cried hard.

Crossing fingers for a fantastic conclusion next month...

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
So I've gotten like 10 chapters into Not So Shoujo Love Story and I'm kinda sliding off it (not bouncing, sliding). I don't know what it is, possibly it is the style of comedy it employs or possibly it is something about the visual comedy of it all, but there's nothing about it that is making me desperate to read the next chapter. It could also be possible that there isn't really anything wrong about Not So Shoujo Love Story, and it is just that coming off the absolute masterpiece that is Lore Olympus and the subtly sublime (and equally weird) Suitor Armour, that Not So Shoujo Love Story isn't quite what I want to read at this moment.

I do, however, wholeheartedly recommend people give it a look, as from the few panels I've already shown (not to mention that A+ description - ripped right from its Webtoon page) that it is certainly not lacking in a sense of comedic style nor humour. No one can say it's lacking in identity afterall.

Oct 25, 2017
New TOC

E0nrataXoAAZgTQ

Seems Witch Watch is sticking around. I guess it's really resonating with Japanese audiences.
Shame about NDBP, first proper sports series in a while and it's about to die.
I Tell C is definitely dead. First day of Shoseki rankings had it at 179. Meaning it didn't sell much.

Oct 25, 2017
Reasons Ace and Sabo should be alive and join the straw hats, they beat out the other strawhats. Great results!
E0oIPjjWUAA35YH

im so happy for ace and sabo, omg. I voted ace everyday! hes the best.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Carrot in the top 10 gives me life, same with Law at 5

Ace and Sabo should just share a placement so they don't have to waste two spots tbh

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Real shame about Nine Dragon's Ball Parade. I was enjoying it.

Magu-chan doing well for itself always puts a smile on my face. It'll need to for once i tell c, NDBP, and Cop and Dolphin start dropping like flies

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
New TOC

E0nrataXoAAZgTQ

Seems Witch Watch is sticking around. I guess it's really resonating with Japanese audiences.
Shame about NDBP, first proper sports series in a while and it's about to die.
I Tell C is definitely dead. First day of Shoseki rankings had it at 179. Meaning it didn't sell much.

Well that sucks :/ I'm not really into sports series, and that was one I was actually ENJOYING. I'm actually surprised Japanese audiences don't really like it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've always loved Boa, and a big part of it is that she loves Luffy. I also love her attitude. Like many OP female characters, I'm not too enamored with her design, though.
Reasons Ace and Sabo should be alive
You think Sabo is really dead? That seems terribly unlikely to me unless it's been recently confirmed (I'm not up to date). It has all the markings of a fake character death.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here read either of the following?

- unOrdinary: Nobody paid much attention to John – just a normal teenager at a high school where the social elite happen to possess unthinkable powers and abilities. But John's got a secret past that threatens to bring down the school's whole social order – and much more. Fulfilling his destiny won't be easy though, because there are battles, frenemies and deadly conspiracies around every corner.

Unordinary is a bit of hit or miss. Dunno if it's much of a spoiler but the MC gets REALLY edgy. The art isn't anything to write home about, and the plot is pretty cliche(think MHA but with powers that aren't even 10% as original or interesting). But still I somehow find it entertaining to read. It's really character driven and there's some nice character development though.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like Carrot, and Sabo hasn't made that much of an impression on me despite his backstory. Really wish Usopp was one of the top ten. He's like the defining character of One Piece's charm in the first half.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Can I just rant about how useless Webtoon's registration is? I've spent the last four hours just trying to set up an account with their website. I entered my email, selected a password and a username, and clicked the button to send a verification email. Well, that verification email never turned up (not even after waiting forty-five minutes, and you have to verify your account within the hour, apparently, according to their website). So I tried to log in without having verified my email, which to no real surprise, didn't work. Having failed to verify, the website then asked me to resend the verification email, which sounds reasonable, except for the fact that it doesn't then give you an option to have the verification email resent. It just tells you to do so and then give you no ability to do so. So I thought, "alright, there must have been a small hiccup somewhere, let's try and register again." That sounds like a reasonable thought, right? Wrong! Because when I tried to register again the website then told me my email address have already been registered with. This was a little frustrating, as there seemed to be no way to reverify my email address, and that email address was now being hogged by an account I couldn't use. So I thought, as a bit of a last-ditch desperate attempt to see if I could get them to send a reset password email (as the email and account had apparently been registered but not verified) as a way to trick the system into working for me. But when I went to try and do that, I entered in my email address (the one apparently registered and unverified) and lo and behold, guess what?! Webtoons is saying that that email hasn't been registered! Holy fucking shit! Is this one of the dumbest clusterfucks I've ever experienced. And I live in the UK, the country that enacted Brexit, the dumbest clusterfuck to end all garbage fire clusterfucks.

And to top it all of? When I got round to their helpdesk and sending a complaint, the confirmation email that the complaint had been sent was delivered within seconds of me sending the fucking complaint email. Holy fucking shit. I could not make this shit up if I tried... All I want to do is set up an account to read webtoons on your website Webtoons! It shouldn't be this fucking hard to do that! Jesus Christ!

Edit: And no, before anyone asks, the verification email did not go to my spam folder. I checked. It's empty.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Watamote 191
The moral of the story: Instead of shittalking people behind their backs, find someone you can shittalk to their face.

Mako looks so happy on that last page that Minami did something nice for once.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Unordinary is a bit of hit or miss. Dunno if it's much of a spoiler but the MC gets REALLY edgy. The art isn't anything to write home about, and the plot is pretty cliche(think MHA but with powers that aren't even 10% as original or interesting). But still I somehow find it entertaining to read. It's really character driven and there's some nice character development though.
Agree with this. I read the first few chapters and dropped it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved Boa, and a big part of it is that she loves Luffy. I also love her attitude. Like many OP female characters, I'm not too enamored with her design, though.

You think Sabo is really dead? That seems terribly unlikely to me unless it's been recently confirmed (I'm not up to date). It has all the markings of a fake character death.
Oda has made bad writing decisions before so he might have killed Sabo :( again... He did kill Ace afterall.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kengan Omega 108
Yooooooo, that was pretty good. Loved the brutal back-and-forth and how Nicolas held his own, can't even be mad that Lolong interrupted right when things were really getting heating up, about time we got to see the guy in action.

Not sure who's going to get the win for this match, though. Guess it depends of whether or not Akoya backs down or decides to pick a fight with Lolong now.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
After yesterday's utter frustration at Webtoon's inability to operate a website with even the barest modicum of ability, I continued my binge-read of series there. Here's what I stumbled across.

- Phase: Min is unique. Plagued by debts, misfortune and a troubled past her life has been anything but normal. When she has the opportunity to earn a great deal of money, 50 million dollars to be exact, she would be a fool to refuse. Despite the odd conditions she takes a chance with Shuu, the handsome, irritating billionare who can change her life. Can she keep her secrets close to her chest or will she ruin them both?

- Neon Revenge: No one would have ever guessed that nerdy-looking Seongbin Cha is actually Neon Mask, the internet hero popular for punishing violent, bullying teens on ViewTube. He won't rest until he eradicates every last delinquent in the country. Can he stomp them all out with the help of his bodyguards, or will they come back stronger than ever?

- See You in My 19th Life: Jieum Ban has an extraordinary ability: she can remember the memories of all her past lives. After her previous life is cut short by a tragic accident, she sets out to reconnect with the people of her past life in her current one. Will memories of her 18th life sabotage romance in her 19th? Or will love endure across different lives?

Out of these three, Phase is probably the one I'd recommend the least. It's not bad, per se, but neither is it anything to really write home about. It's just another story about a not-so-normal normal teenage girl and all the handsome, perfect men falling over themselves for her. Okay, there's more to it than that, but if you've read a story like it before, nothing it does will really surprise you. The art isn't mindblowing either, but it does its job well enough and there are a few moments when it shines.

Neon Revenge, while having probably the least interesting initial concept, one I would perhaps even call outright bad in an all too edgy way, probably does the most with what it has to work with, managing to weave aspects about streaming, Youtube, and content creation (both good and bad) into its story. It helps that the art is crisp and clean, with the artist utilising the main cast's neon colour schemes to their full effect (not to mention all the little details they've managed to put into the backgrounds that show the attention they're trying to put in building up the idea that the main character really is a streamer whose main form of content is going around beating the shit out of bullies).

I've been on a romance kick lately (Lore Olympus, Suitor Armour, The Remarried Empress) and See You in My 19th Life is another series that really scratches that itch. The main character of Jieum is a really interesting subject, with her many, many lives and experiences leaving her feeling like someone who has become rather detached from the world while also simultaneously being a being of deep longing desperately in search for meaningful emotional connections, to the point that she's even willing to break all her own rules in her 19th life after the previous one is suddenly and unexpectedly cut short, leaving Jieum to crave reconnection with people she was forced to be separated from. This series can be a real emotional rollercoaster at parts and has also been steadily building a suspensive core to its narrative, adding in layers of mystery and thriller tropes into this more than enjoyable supernatural romance story.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018

"I'm sorry, I turned your ex-girlfriend into a potted plant..."
"It's okay, it's been that sort of week."

*Note that it's a preview so I have no idea what they're actually saying, but still, she did turn his ex into a potted plant*

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

"I'm sorry, I turned your ex-girlfriend into a potted plant..."
"It's okay, it's been that sort of week."

*Note that it's a preview so I have no idea what they're actually saying, but still, she did turn his ex into a potted plant*

I've been told by multiple people that I need to read this.

I guess it's time.