• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Binged all of Nagatoro and it's awesome. Her friends are great and Yoshi is the best one in the crew. Her vacant and goofy expressions always crack me up. As usual with these kinds of romcoms, I dont see what the girls see in the MC but I'm pleasantly surprised at his development and how quickly he was able to return the teasing and start improving himself.

It's a series I'm glad I gave a chance when I stumbled across it on /r/manga a couple of years back. Quite rough early on with Nagatoro being very abrasive with her bullying but it has been great seeing the friendship develop and it's so wholesome and flufftastic now. I was surprised with how high the quality of the anime adaptation has been and it seems to be winning over some new fans which is nice.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Komi-san 301
The last two chapters have been painful. At first I didn't like how Manbagi, a third wheel no chance rival, was thrown into this halfway through, but her development and personality has been a boon to this series imo and doing her like this is honestly painful af.

I see people mentioning Horimiya here. I dropped it for no real reason I can remember years ago, but remember liking the start. Guess it's time to hop back in for a palate cleanser. Looks like it just ended so good timing for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I see people mentioning Horimiya here. I dropped it for no real reason I can remember years ago, but remember liking the start. Guess it's time to hop back in for a palate cleanser. Looks like it just ended so good timing for me.
I know some people dropped Horimiya because in the middle it deviates from the main couple a bit and focused on side couples and characters but honestly if you've read Komi...well yeah that's a side character smorgasbord

also get into Tomo-Chan is a Girl and Kaguya if you haven't ...Both are just really good without the bullshit

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know some people dropped Horimiya because in the middle it deviates from the main couple a bit and focused on side couples and characters but honestly if you've read Komi...well yeah that's a side character smorgasbord

also get into Tomo-Chan is a Girl and Kaguya if you haven't ...Both are just really good without the bullshit
it might've been because of that, I really can't remember much. I'll just start from the beginning

Tomo-chan I've read through most of it, I just need to finish up the last bit. Gotta remember what chapter I left off on. Kaguya is sitting in my backlog, I buy the volumes for it and I'm at volume 5 right now. Both are great I agree. Would love any other recs if you have time!

Oct 26, 2017
it might've been because of that, I really can't remember much. I'll just start from the beginning

Tomo-chan I've read through most of it, I just need to finish up the last bit. Gotta remember what chapter I left off on. Kaguya is sitting in my backlog, I buy the volumes for it and I'm at volume 5 right now. Both are great I agree. Would love any other recs if you have time!
If you want a wholesome and healthy look at an adult relationship, read the web toon: Giant Nerd Boyfriend

its like relationship goals

It's like super long but Ouran Host club and Jellyfish princess are both really good shojo and Josei rom com series

Now what I really want is a new print version of Eyeshield 21 with the color pages and all that jazz.
Ugh can you imagine a reprint?? Like FMA hardcover

I somehow found the artbook last year at a goodwills for like 10 bucks. Best random find ever!

I'll settle for even a digi release because the volumes are extremely rare and hard to come by

Last edited:

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Continuing along with my binge of Webtoon series, I decided to read Lore Olympus with my partner, and boy, oh, boy, am I glad we did.

- Lore Olympus: Witness what the gods do…after dark. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. Because it turns out, the gods aren't so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. Stylish and immersive, this is one of mythology's greatest stories -- The Taking of Persephone -- as it's never been told before.

57282244.jpg

Where do I start with this series? Maybe with how it depicts some of the most realistic and heartfelt examples of trauma, depression, anxiety, longing, love, desire, toxic relationships, and healing I've ever seen in any form of media? Or perhaps its stellar and sublime artwork, which manages to tow this magical line between minimalistic yet incredibly expressive? Or how about the chemistry that oozes off almost every panel Hades and Persephone are in together? There's just so much to love and adore about this work. It wasn't by mistake that Lore Olympus became Webtoons most viewed and highest rated English language release.

To be perfectly honest, my words will not do this series justice, so, instead, may I ask you who read this to just trust me for a moment and go and give Lore Olympus a chance, a chance to make you fall in love with as we have. And if my words cannot convince you, then perhaps I may be as bold as to borrow someone else's to do so for me?

Rachel Smythe's Lore Olympus Webcomic Reclaims Trauma and Allows It to Transform - by Caitlin Kennedy for The Mary Sue

Trauma is frequently used as a narrative device. In nearly every genre and medium, loss, heartache, mental turmoil, and abuses are the fires that creators use to forge battle-ready and righteous heroes. (Where would Batman be without the tragic loss of his parents?) The opportunity for trauma to transform into personal power is always present in popular stories, but very rarely do these tales account for the process in which that transformation takes place. In her WEBTOON phenomenon comic Lore Olympus, creator Rachel Smythe offers one of the most insightful meditations on abuse, trauma, and reclamation of personal power through her reimagining of one of history's most famous abduction tales.

Lore Olympus is a contemporary retelling of the famous Greek myth of the abduction of Persephone, Goddess of Spring, by Hades, the God of Death. Lore Olympus began publishing weekly installments in March 2018 on WEBTOON, and the series has rocketed to the fame as the most popular comic on WEBTOON with millions of views, nominations for excellence in comics by the Eisner Awards and Ringo Awards, and a published volume and television series on the horizon. Suffice to say, Lore Olympus has utterly gripped today's readers.

The popularity of Lore Olympus isn't surprising once you take in Smythe's stunning illustrations and character designs. Dear Reader, these gods are smokin' hot. Steamy stories of longing are always reader favorites, but Lore Olympus offers a beauty that's more than skin-deep. Smythe tempers the perfection of the Olympians with extremely grounded and relatable characters. The Greek gods and goddesses have always been flawed, but Smythe gives them humanity—especially when it comes to Hades and Persephone.

Let's not mince words—the original Greek legend of Hades and Persephone is the story of a kidnapping, forced marriage, and all the unpleasantness that entails. Different versions of the myth portray the marriage of Hades and Persephone on a spectrum from horrific and heartbreaking to a more civil resignation. The Sicilian cult beliefs surrounding Demeter and the goddess Kore (another name for Persephone) look to the spring goddess as a symbol of fertility, sexuality, and a woman's power over her household. Persephone, in this particular belief, reminded married women of the power they held in their homes and over their husbands. Multiple clues in Smythe's setting and narrative in Lore Olympus point to the Sicilian background of Persephone as the chief informing text for this adaptation.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to discuss the story of Hades and Persephone without also discussing trauma, assault, and abduction, and Smythe handles this deftly and delicately in her work. While her retelling of the myth frames Hades and Persephone's relationship as a romance, Smythe uses the plethora of problematic material in Greek mythology to reclaim the story of Hades and Persephone and use the pair (and a cast of colorful Olympian characters) to speak directly to issues of trauma and provide healing and closure for her characters and her readers.

As the myth of Hades and Persephone is most classically recognizable as a myth involving sexual assault, that's the most logical place to begin. One of the most important story threads in the entire comic is the rape of Persephone by the sun god Apollo. In Lore Olympus, Persephone is introduced as a sheltered young woman who is entering college and the great wide world of Olympus after spending her life under the protection of her mother, Demeter. Persephone's character is kind and trusting, if not a little naïve, and Apollo becomes obsessed with her. His obsession culminates in sexual assault, in which he photographs the encounter without Persephone's consent and uses that evidence to keep her silent.

This storyline is incredibly difficult to read and has touched many of Lore Olympus' readers. Through this reimagining of Persephone's trauma, Smythe seizes upon the opportunity to show how Persephone is able to overcome her assault and reclaim her life and come into her personal power. The comic delicately walks the reader through the highs and lows of Persephone's recovery, as she grapples with her secret and then chooses not to carry that burden alone and confides in close friends.

At the same time that she is recovering from her assault, she is establishing healthy and respectful boundaries in her relationship with Hades. At the time of this article, the assault is not known to all characters, and that is meaningful in Smythe's story. Persephone does have direct support from those she trusts most. She also is learning to navigate into safe spaces of consent and trust as a survivor, without the requirement that she must share the details of her trauma with those she's not ready to reveal it to. There have been many attempts to capture the experience of sexual assault survivors, and few do it with as much compassion as Smythe.

Hades, in his transformation from abducting husband to tender and loving partner, is also no stranger to abuse. In a parallel to Persephone's naiveté, the character of Hades is marked by a history of trauma that has resulted in major damage. Hades was the victim of parental abuse and abandonment, survived a war, and endured loveless relationships prior to his falling in love with Persephone.

Hades is a natural foil to Persephone's experience because his trauma has manifested in low self-esteem and the destructive urge to self-soothe by choosing people he thinks will accept him, but who ultimately harm him. Persephone, on the other hand, has not allowed her trauma to manifest in such self-destructive ways, but she struggles to keep up the brave face.

Together, Hades and Persephone bring their experiences into one holistic view on recovery. Hades must learn to prioritize his needs and break free from the cycles of abuse that have bookmarked his life. He learns to do this by accepting the genuine love and kindness that Persephone shows him. Persephone must rely on the wisdom of Hades' lived experience and allow herself to lean on him, even when she wishes she could face recovery on her own.

The relationship of Hades and Persephone, in Lore Olympus, is built on gentleness, mutual respect, consent, and permission from one another to allow space for growth and healing. It is most notable that their arc and recovery is not a straight and perfect line. Part of Smythe's mastery in touching these sensitive topics is that all of her characters experience setbacks.

Hades still grapples with his sense of self. Persephone copes with her trauma in unhealthy ways. Lovers cheat, friends backstab, and trust is broken. The entire cast of Lore Olympus characters portrays the full spectrum of mental health matters large and small. It's what gives Lore Olympus its near-universal appeal.

Greek mythology has managed to capture our imagination since the earliest days of humanity. The world of the Olympians has always provided insight into the questions that we don't have the answers to and offered counsel and warnings to those that hear the stories. Lore Olympus is right in step with that tradition, but with the broadened perspective of the moment at the forefront. Smythe has set out to right the wrongs of the ancient narrative and offers audiences the hope that comes with the reclamation of a story like Hades and Persephone's. Vibrant life can grow out of the depths of darkness. From our darkest moments, we can grow into something more beautiful and powerful.

9.5/10

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's a series I'm glad I gave a chance when I stumbled across it on /r/manga a couple of years back. Quite rough early on with Nagatoro being very abrasive with her bullying but it has been great seeing the friendship develop and it's so wholesome and flufftastic now. I was surprised with how high the quality of the anime adaptation has been and it seems to be winning over some new fans which is nice.

For sure. I read the beginning of the original doujin years ago and I didnt enjoy it. I was hesitant to try the manga but the anime sold me on it and I'm glad I gave it a shot. Its so much funnier and wholesome than I thought it would be. Hope we get a second season as some of the best arcs are in the last 20-30 chapters or so.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Drifting Dragons is really fucking good
Goddamn right it is. Shame the adaptation was so middling.
I read the first 7 volumes and love the art. Feels like NO ONE watched the anime on Netflux (let alone, read it).

Okay so weird question about Drifting Dragons: the art looks really nice, but is it full of dragons getting harpooned like whales and suffering and shit? Is there a point where the characters are meant to question harvesting them? It's hard to figure out from the premise alone.

Jul 19, 2020
Sometimes you just find an author who is kinda shit but in a weird way where you feel compelled to look into more of their stuff out of curiosity to see if its a running theme. For me right now it's Kaori Ozaki, who I came across randomly and then just had to look into further after the first story because of how put off I felt. Warning: Mention of child abuse/incestuous stuff.

The Gods Lie is a sort-of coming of age story about childhood innocence and its loss in the context of bullying and parental neglect, that culminates in a sort of desperate love story between the two tween leads who find support in eachother. It also has the protagonist casually grope and then knead his mother's breasts and plays it off as normal. Kinda soured the rest of the book for me even though I think it executed its basic idea better than, say, Weathering With You did (outside the aforementioned brief, bizarre oedipal shit)

Love Letter is a supernatural tragedy where souls can choose who they wish to reincarnate as the child of, where the main character becomes fixated on one girl because he thinks she was pretty when she was a 17yo. In his next life (because he dies young) he then wants to reincarnate as a guy to become her lover once he finds out becoming her son again isn't an option, and settles on a cat that lives nearby when told that won't work either. Any of the tragic notes fall flat in face of the fact that this spirit seems attracted to the woman who was its own mother at one point, who it fell for - I repeat - as a teenager. Just...fucking weird to make him that way and to then try and write it like its a story about a child's love for its mother transcending just one life.

The Golden Sheep is what I'm on right now and so far it's not had any weird parental incest vibes but one character's father was revealed to have solicited sex from a minor (which, hey, is portrayed as a bad thing so fine I guess) and I'm kind of just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for it to somehow just get weird again.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so weird question about Drifting Dragons: the art looks really nice, but is it full of dragons getting harpooned like whales and suffering and shit? Is there a point where the characters are meant to question harvesting them? It's hard to figure out from the premise alone.
They dont really question harvesting them, no. Hunting dragons and eating/selling their parts is a normal part of life. They do make a point of minimizing their suffering and criticize unnecessary killings or cruel methods (poison f.e.)

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
tRL4rpM.jpg
hB2nXgx.jpg

Grabbed these off of Book Depository after seeing they had been localized in Spain. First time buying anything from Milky Way Ediciones, but the releases are super high quality. Great paper quality, come with a dust jacket, and I love the art on the covers. They're smaller than the typical Viz release size, though I'm not sure which size release it might correspond to most closely in terms of Japanese releases.

Thoughts on the actual book once I've actually read some 😄

support trans storytelling

I was already grabbing this one, but this seals it for me.

Continuing along with my binge of Webtoon series, I decided to read Lore Olympus with my partner, and boy, oh, boy, am I glad we did.

- Lore Olympus: Witness what the gods do…after dark. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. Because it turns out, the gods aren't so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. Stylish and immersive, this is one of mythology's greatest stories -- The Taking of Persephone -- as it's never been told before.

57282244.jpg

Where do I start with this series? Maybe with how it depicts some of the most realistic and heartfelt examples of trauma, depression, anxiety, longing, love, desire, toxic relationships, and healing I've ever seen in any form of media? Or perhaps its stellar and sublime artwork, which manages to tow this magical line between minimalistic yet incredibly expressive? Or how about the chemistry that oozes off almost every panel Hades and Persephone are in together? There's just so much to love and adore about this work. It wasn't by mistake that Lore Olympus became Webtoons most viewed and highest rated English language release.

To be perfectly honest, my words will not do this series justice, so, instead, may I ask you who read this to just trust me for a moment and go and give Lore Olympus a chance, a chance to make you fall in love with as we have. And if my words cannot convince you, then perhaps I may be as bold as to borrow someone else's to do so for me?

Rachel Smythe's Lore Olympus Webcomic Reclaims Trauma and Allows It to Transform - by Caitlin Kennedy for The Mary Sue

Trauma is frequently used as a narrative device. In nearly every genre and medium, loss, heartache, mental turmoil, and abuses are the fires that creators use to forge battle-ready and righteous heroes. (Where would Batman be without the tragic loss of his parents?) The opportunity for trauma to transform into personal power is always present in popular stories, but very rarely do these tales account for the process in which that transformation takes place. In her WEBTOON phenomenon comic Lore Olympus, creator Rachel Smythe offers one of the most insightful meditations on abuse, trauma, and reclamation of personal power through her reimagining of one of history's most famous abduction tales.

Lore Olympus is a contemporary retelling of the famous Greek myth of the abduction of Persephone, Goddess of Spring, by Hades, the God of Death. Lore Olympus began publishing weekly installments in March 2018 on WEBTOON, and the series has rocketed to the fame as the most popular comic on WEBTOON with millions of views, nominations for excellence in comics by the Eisner Awards and Ringo Awards, and a published volume and television series on the horizon. Suffice to say, Lore Olympus has utterly gripped today's readers.

The popularity of Lore Olympus isn't surprising once you take in Smythe's stunning illustrations and character designs. Dear Reader, these gods are smokin' hot. Steamy stories of longing are always reader favorites, but Lore Olympus offers a beauty that's more than skin-deep. Smythe tempers the perfection of the Olympians with extremely grounded and relatable characters. The Greek gods and goddesses have always been flawed, but Smythe gives them humanity—especially when it comes to Hades and Persephone.

Let's not mince words—the original Greek legend of Hades and Persephone is the story of a kidnapping, forced marriage, and all the unpleasantness that entails. Different versions of the myth portray the marriage of Hades and Persephone on a spectrum from horrific and heartbreaking to a more civil resignation. The Sicilian cult beliefs surrounding Demeter and the goddess Kore (another name for Persephone) look to the spring goddess as a symbol of fertility, sexuality, and a woman's power over her household. Persephone, in this particular belief, reminded married women of the power they held in their homes and over their husbands. Multiple clues in Smythe's setting and narrative in Lore Olympus point to the Sicilian background of Persephone as the chief informing text for this adaptation.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to discuss the story of Hades and Persephone without also discussing trauma, assault, and abduction, and Smythe handles this deftly and delicately in her work. While her retelling of the myth frames Hades and Persephone's relationship as a romance, Smythe uses the plethora of problematic material in Greek mythology to reclaim the story of Hades and Persephone and use the pair (and a cast of colorful Olympian characters) to speak directly to issues of trauma and provide healing and closure for her characters and her readers.

As the myth of Hades and Persephone is most classically recognizable as a myth involving sexual assault, that's the most logical place to begin. One of the most important story threads in the entire comic is the rape of Persephone by the sun god Apollo. In Lore Olympus, Persephone is introduced as a sheltered young woman who is entering college and the great wide world of Olympus after spending her life under the protection of her mother, Demeter. Persephone's character is kind and trusting, if not a little naïve, and Apollo becomes obsessed with her. His obsession culminates in sexual assault, in which he photographs the encounter without Persephone's consent and uses that evidence to keep her silent.

This storyline is incredibly difficult to read and has touched many of Lore Olympus' readers. Through this reimagining of Persephone's trauma, Smythe seizes upon the opportunity to show how Persephone is able to overcome her assault and reclaim her life and come into her personal power. The comic delicately walks the reader through the highs and lows of Persephone's recovery, as she grapples with her secret and then chooses not to carry that burden alone and confides in close friends.

At the same time that she is recovering from her assault, she is establishing healthy and respectful boundaries in her relationship with Hades. At the time of this article, the assault is not known to all characters, and that is meaningful in Smythe's story. Persephone does have direct support from those she trusts most. She also is learning to navigate into safe spaces of consent and trust as a survivor, without the requirement that she must share the details of her trauma with those she's not ready to reveal it to. There have been many attempts to capture the experience of sexual assault survivors, and few do it with as much compassion as Smythe.

Hades, in his transformation from abducting husband to tender and loving partner, is also no stranger to abuse. In a parallel to Persephone's naiveté, the character of Hades is marked by a history of trauma that has resulted in major damage. Hades was the victim of parental abuse and abandonment, survived a war, and endured loveless relationships prior to his falling in love with Persephone.

Hades is a natural foil to Persephone's experience because his trauma has manifested in low self-esteem and the destructive urge to self-soothe by choosing people he thinks will accept him, but who ultimately harm him. Persephone, on the other hand, has not allowed her trauma to manifest in such self-destructive ways, but she struggles to keep up the brave face.

Together, Hades and Persephone bring their experiences into one holistic view on recovery. Hades must learn to prioritize his needs and break free from the cycles of abuse that have bookmarked his life. He learns to do this by accepting the genuine love and kindness that Persephone shows him. Persephone must rely on the wisdom of Hades' lived experience and allow herself to lean on him, even when she wishes she could face recovery on her own.

The relationship of Hades and Persephone, in Lore Olympus, is built on gentleness, mutual respect, consent, and permission from one another to allow space for growth and healing. It is most notable that their arc and recovery is not a straight and perfect line. Part of Smythe's mastery in touching these sensitive topics is that all of her characters experience setbacks.

Hades still grapples with his sense of self. Persephone copes with her trauma in unhealthy ways. Lovers cheat, friends backstab, and trust is broken. The entire cast of Lore Olympus characters portrays the full spectrum of mental health matters large and small. It's what gives Lore Olympus its near-universal appeal.

Greek mythology has managed to capture our imagination since the earliest days of humanity. The world of the Olympians has always provided insight into the questions that we don't have the answers to and offered counsel and warnings to those that hear the stories. Lore Olympus is right in step with that tradition, but with the broadened perspective of the moment at the forefront. Smythe has set out to right the wrongs of the ancient narrative and offers audiences the hope that comes with the reclamation of a story like Hades and Persephone's. Vibrant life can grow out of the depths of darkness. From our darkest moments, we can grow into something more beautiful and powerful.

9.5/10
I've not check out any webtoons so far, but this sounds great. I'll have to give it a look.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, it's a completely different culture/time than ours. It's not like they are just doing it for fun as a rich delicacy, the oil they take from the animals are a town's whole source of energy. It's a society from the past, with low-tech, so they make use of the energy and food they can harvest. It's not like they go out and do it for fun/to conquer/over-hunt to extinction. Plus, as much as the dragons can be felt sorry for, they are NOT defenseless either and can cause a lot of damage and deaths. Can't think of the last time a whale plowed through a village and caused destructions/storms/etc :p They are just large beasts that are used for food and energy.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it is wild looking at Ranger Reject and the stuff happening in that series knowing the same person made Quints.

This is almost some Chainsaw Man level fuckery.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017

Another nice relationship manga is Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni. It's slice of life with almost no drama, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it is wild looking at Ranger Reject and the stuff happening in that series knowing the same person made Quints.

This is almost some Chainsaw Man level fuckery.
Quints had some subversive moments like Nino's confession and it seems that the author has taken that mentality and took it a step further and in another genre.

I hope Ranger Reject gets more attention even though it's more of a niche genre compared to the RomCom/Harem genre of Quints.

Oct 25, 2017
Quints had some subversive moments like Nino's confession and it seems that the author has taken that mentality and took it a step further and in another genre.

I hope Ranger Reject gets more attention even though it's more of a niche genre compared to the RomCom/Harem genre of Quints.

Maybe if Kodansha had a system similar to Shueisha with same-day releases, I could see Ranger Reject taking off. People like Power Rangers and The Boys.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
They dont really question harvesting them, no. Hunting dragons and eating/selling their parts is a normal part of life. They do make a point of minimizing their suffering and criticize unnecessary killings or cruel methods (poison f.e.)
I mean, it's a completely different culture/time than ours. It's not like they are just doing it for fun as a rich delicacy, the oil they take from the animals are a town's whole source of energy. It's a society from the past, with low-tech, so they make use of the energy and food they can harvest. It's not like they go out and do it for fun/to conquer/over-hunt to extinction. Plus, as much as the dragons can be felt sorry for, they are NOT defenseless either and can cause a lot of damage and deaths. Can't think of the last time a whale plowed through a village and caused destructions/storms/etc :p They are just large beasts that are used for food and energy.

Thank you both! I don't think it's for me, but that's okay. Lots of stuff to read, and every time I dip into this thread, I find one or two more for the list.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
tRL4rpM.jpg
hB2nXgx.jpg

Grabbed these off of Book Depository after seeing they had been localized in Spain. First time buying anything from Milky Way Ediciones, but the releases are super high quality. Great paper quality, come with a dust jacket, and I love the art on the covers. They're smaller than the typical Viz release size, though I'm not sure which size release it might correspond to most closely in terms of Japanese releases.

I had no clue you spoke Spanish! I'm jealous. My Spanish was replaced by Japanese in my brain.
Looking for good manga for teenagers, in colour. Any recommendations?
Manga in color? There's very little of that in existence, and most of that small fraction doesn't get released outside of Japan even so. Maybe check out Sazan & Comet Girl. I can't think of any other manga in color that have been released in the US that I'd recommend. I'd love to recommend the colored version of Akira, because it's fantastic, but you'd be paying a ton through ebay to track those down. If color is that important, you should probably be looking at western comics.
gundam origin (hardcover)
Only like five pages in each volume are in color, though.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

57282244.jpg

9.5/10
Lore Olympus is indeed absolutely incredible. There's an OT here on the site, but it's not very active, sadly. It's also getting an animated adaptation soon!!!

I'm very excited.

I was already grabbing this one, but this seals it for me.

I've not check out any webtoons so far, but this sounds great. I'll have to give it a look.
Oooh, Kids on the Slope is good stuff. Lemme know if you like it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Mob Psycho 100 - End

That was great.

Psycho Helmet was kinda boring until it got going, but by the end it was some really good stuff.

Imagine my surprise when the series kept going after it for a bit. I'm glad it did, because all the loose ends were tied up in a satisfying manner.

The ending was beautiful, especially the last page.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Chainsaw Man popularity results are out

1. Aki
2. Makima
3. Power
4. Denji
5. Reze
6. Yoshida
7. Angel
8. Himeno
9. Pochita
10. Kobeni

manga.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Chainsaw Man popularity results are out

1. Aki
2. Makima
3. Power
4. Denji
5. Reze
6. Yoshida
7. Angel
8. Himeno
9. Pochita
10. Kobeni

manga.png

Disappointed that Kobeni's Car didn't break into the top 10.

Well, there's always the sequel series.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that
Grilled Makima
is ranked higher than Kobeni's car is killing me here

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Have I started reading a series about a woman falling in love with a living suit of armour? Yes, yes I have. Is it the second-best romance I've read this week (behind Hades and Persephone from Lore Olympus)? Yes, yes it is. Do I think all you idiots should go and read it? Yes, yes I do.

Suitor Armour: Lady-in-waiting, Lucia believes getting through the royal wedding will be the toughest part of her new life. That is until she finds herself falling head over heels with Modeus, an up-and-coming knight to the king's guard. With her newfound interest, she is quickly awakened to the mysteries of the kingdom when she learns Modeus is in fact an enchanted suit of armour without a soul. Could there be more to him than just shining armour?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have I started reading a series about a woman falling in love with a living suit of armour? Yes, yes I have. Is it the second-best romance I've read this week (behind Hades and Persephone from Lore Olympus)? Yes, yes it is. Do I think all you idiots should go and read it? Yes, yes I do.

Suitor Armour: Lady-in-waiting, Lucia believes getting through the royal wedding will be the toughest part of her new life. That is until she finds herself falling head over heels with Modeus, an up-and-coming knight to the king's guard. With her newfound interest, she is quickly awakened to the mysteries of the kingdom when she learns Modeus is in fact an enchanted suit of armour without a soul. Could there be more to him than just shining armour?
Are you just... reading my Webtoons subscriptions, somehow?

Check out Last Human in a Crowded Universe next.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Elusive Samurai is really starting to grow on me.

That dude who has the Ren and Stimpy style eyes is amazing.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
webtoons are still so unfamilar to me. the pacing seems so jacked up. maybe i actually have to read it on a phone or something to get my head in gear

Oct 25, 2017

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
webtoons are still so unfamilar to me. the pacing seems so jacked up. maybe i actually have to read it on a phone or something to get my head in gear
I think it really depends on the webtoon, in particular, you are dealing with. Some are a mile a minute while others are a real slow burn, though I will admit they probably trend towards having slightly faster pacing than most manga series.

If you're looking for some series to get started with... The Remarried Empress, Purple Hyacinth, Suitor Armour, and Lore Olympus together do a decent job of encapsulating the majority of styles of webtoons that are out there (and are all rather on the slower end of the pacing spectrum).

If you don't mind searching farther afield for your entertainment (and have a penchant for Villainess stories) might I also recommend the following series: Beware the Villainess, The Villainess is a Marionette, Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, Legend of the Northern Blade, Death is the Only Ending for the Villainess, The Villainess Lives Twice, The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass, Ebony, Emperor And The Female Knight, and Peerless Dad.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily mean like the pacing of the story as a whole? More like... I dunno, the way you intake the story between panels or something? I dunno it shouldn't be that different but it feels like webtoons follow a slightly different convention to manga or even, say tumblr comics (which used to be giant long-ass scrolls and suchlike) sometimes. It's probably just a case of getting used to them though.

What is the chinese yuri one? Their Story? That's the only one I've read and remembered and I still dropped off it lol.

Anyway, I'll get into them more when i have the time. Thanks for the recs - I adore villainess stories lol

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
I don't necessarily mean like the pacing of the story as a whole? More like... I dunno, the way you intake the story between panels or something? I dunno it shouldn't be that different but it feels like webtoons follow a slightly different convention to manga or even, say tumblr comics (which used to be giant long-ass scrolls and suchlike) sometimes. It's probably just a case of getting used to them though.

What is the chinese yuri one? Their Story? That's the only one I've read and remembered and I still dropped off it lol.

Anyway, I'll get into them more when i have the time. Thanks for the recs - I adore villainess stories lol
Yeah, some webtoons go have a lot of dead space between panels. I think some of the best ones really find ways to work with that dead space and incorporate it into the way they tell stories. Then again, I've read so many webtoons (I've probably read more webtoons recently than manga) that I've probably gotten used to its different style.

Purple Hyacinth also has a rather amazing soundtrack that is available on Spotify (it's all composed and written by the series' author):

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 207:
The upcoming WT clothing line looks like it's going to be legit.

But seriously it's good to see that the surveys did actually play a part in how teams were put together. Also an explanation for why everyone seems to speak the same language which sets up a possible scenario for communication breakdown with Hyuse and his team. My boy Osamu getting ahead of the game there helping Hyuse out.

Also Ikoma is still a legend.