• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, seeing Phantom Seer canned so early was disappointing as it was not only starting to expand its world a bit, but setting up a decent structure for tackling the big bad and the motivations for doing so. I'm expecting some similar series being killed here soon just because of how it ranks, not necessarily because it's decent.
Kinda feel it got killed because the editors felt the exorcism wave is going out and wanted to open up a slot. There's already two more successful series with the same theme and we just came off a wave of failed ones. But yeah it's hard to say on some things the lineup as seemingly solid as it is. Heck I'd say build king probably got rushed to avoid risks after the act age fall out.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, seeing Phantom Seer canned so early was disappointing as it was not only starting to expand its world a bit, but setting up a decent structure for tackling the big bad and the motivations for doing so. I'm expecting some similar series being killed here soon just because of how it ranks, not necessarily because it's decent.
Considering how hard i Tell C is cratering it might be gone sooner than later.

Dolphin has also been on the low end as well. Everyone else has their moments in the middle so who's to say with them. Reading Dolphin makes me miss Beelzebub though. Dolphin is unfortunately uninteresting to me so if it leaves I won't be all that sad.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Kinda feel it got killed because the editors felt the exorcism wave is going out and wanted to open up a slot. There's already two more successful series with the same theme and we just came off a wave of failed ones. But yeah it's hard to say on some things the lineup as seemingly solid as it is. Heck I'd say build king probably got rushed to avoid risks after the act age fall out.
Very true. There was some criticism early on about it being yet another exorcism story, but I think it still found its footing after the initial arc. That said, editor slant against certain manga is definitely a thing. Also on Build King, I'm surprised that has lasted as long as it has. It had a really rough start and is just now getting to become something worth reading.

Still waiting to hear i tell c got the axe.
Considering how hard i Tell C is cratering it might be gone sooner than later.

Dolphin has also been on the low end as well. Everyone else has their moments in the middle so who's to say with them. Reading Dolphin makes me miss Beelzebub though. Dolphin is unfortunately uninteresting to me so if it leaves I won't be all that sad.
It went from almost gag to straight action and it's very clear it's wrapping up with this extended backstory. It's been an okay read week-to-week, but nothing spectacular. i tell c was just bad from the start. Not even sure how that got greenlit unless they were desperate to fill in a gap.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I tell c has become my new Build King; the thing I read last every week. Roboco is a close second, mostly cause it's just so dialog-heavy that I just don't want to read it right away :/

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'd say Nine Dragons ball parade still has a chance yet. No other sports series at the moment and it's low start speaks more to the strength of the lineup than anything. Plus yeah dolphin and I tell c are closer to death

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a gag immunity spot in the past at the bottom. It's not instant death. But usually there is a series or two that's weak. It's just the reality of things

As posted above, if you're a running gag series, you'll probably be fine. Anything else and you're risking the axe.

It's kinda interesting when you think about it too. I remember when season 1 of Dr. Stone was airing, the editor said in an interview, that Dr. Stone was kept around because it ranked high in Jump's popularity polls despite being what they considered a poor seller.

That said, Phantom Seer was killed super quicky deapite being a top seller (vol 1 and 2 did 100k ) but was always at the bottom of the TOC. I personally never finished chapter 1, but hearing how well it was doing sales wise made me think it would be the next big thing for WSJ. But nope.

Thanks for the answers, it's interesting how stongly they regard the polls. I wonder if they'll also pay attention to online views/comments in the future

Oct 28, 2017
magu would stay if successive series keep failing to find appeal.

who knows if the type of sports and romance of blue box is what jump readers want. also its not a harem and I cant remember the last time something of the sort was in the magazine.
I also agree with this, if some of the six new manga can't find their footing then Magu is more than fine. Not reading Nines, like Witch Watch enough, Sakamoto Days is also a gag and seems to be doing pretty well, and Elusive Samurai is different and interesting and is strongest of the bunch to survive. Basketball would be fine I think and I guess badminton is derivative enough of a sport that's already been proven to work before, i.e. Tennis, etc... but recently eh, audience tastes change. Yeah, can't remember when straight romance was a thing and while I prefer not dealing with harem it seems that's what people seem to want. I hope not but Blue Box may and can pivot to that.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the writer wrote himself into a bad spot. Aibetsu was powering up way too fast.

Should have gone the Inoue (BLeach) route and spent more time for her understanding her powers.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just came across this picture showing that the OP for To Your Eternity references the manga covers. I've never seen something like this done before. Pretty cool!
9ic1sa3iaau61.png

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I tell c has become my new Build King; the thing I read last every week. Roboco is a close second, mostly cause it's just so dialog-heavy that I just don't want to read it right away :/

That's funny, I tend to do the opposite -- I read the ones I want to read the least first, just to get them out of the way so I can really enjoy the good stuff. I guess it's the same as eating your favorite part of the meal first, or saving it for the last bite lol! I tell c is definitely always first just so I can be done with it... not sure why I haven't dropped it yet, but at this point I'm just trying to stick with it till the end, which is hopefully soon.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to judge without actually looking into these, but like every one of these covers look exactly the same to me, the type of stuff that would be licensed in the mid/late 00s beforeUS industry crash

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I read the ones I want to read the least first, just to get them out of the way so I can really enjoy the good stuff.
Free yourself and drop i tell c, instead. I dropped it after 5 and haven't regretted that one bit. I'm done reading long series just because I am slightly curious how they'll end. It's just not worth it.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Just came across this picture showing that the OP for To Your Eternity references the manga covers. I've never seen something like this done before. Pretty cool!
9ic1sa3iaau61.png
Oh, that's really cool. I recognized some in the OP, but not others.

Also, does anyone else cry every time you watch the OP or is that just me?

I don't want to judge without actually looking into these, but like every one of these covers look exactly the same to me, the type of stuff that would be licensed in the mid/late 00s beforeUS industry crash

I've looked at this publisher before and that is definitely their brand. lol

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone explain to me what happened in this Komi manga.

GeeseHoward's post explains it pretty well

GeeseHoward said:
Komi nºwhatever

This is some hot, steaming pile of bullshit. Manbagi has been overly considerate of komi's feelings for literal months, delayed her own confession like twice now and gave komi plenty of pushes throughout this entire timeframe, and now she finally confesses, he bloody ACCEPTS and then she walks it back in the very next panel? Get the fuck out of here.

And this goes for Tadano too. Komi has been giving him the cold shoulder this entire time. She didnt answer his old white day answer. Meanwhile, him and manbagi have been getting closer and closer, and ever since he slept with her in the hotel he was thinking of her in a romantic manner, and now we know that yes, he DOES like her that way. Why the fuck would he back down.

Only way to redeem this is the next chapter Tadano going "No, I said yes to you, I like YOU" and be done with it, but we all know this won't happen and everything will be given to Komi in the most passive and undeserved way.

I'll give it one more chapter, but I think I'm just done with this trash series. Goddamn what a freefall this has been for the past years. Glad I never picked it up physically or else I might have felt compelled to finish it just like that other declining series One Punch Man (and at least that is now finally getting into the Dragon fights after years of nonsensical filler and needless redraws.)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
GeeseHoward's post explains it pretty well
Honestly, I've been reading this and while I found the chapter annoying it kinda makes sense since Tadano is literally portrayed as "the super average dude." He's just happy to have someone like him. It makes sense that Manbagi wouldn't be down with that sort of thing and is probably going to confront him on it next chapter. If he really does like her and have no reservations about it and they still pull some bullshit then I'll get pissed.

For all the talk of Komi and Manbagi's development over the course of the series, Tadano has had none almost the entire manga and I think that's what we're going to get.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've been reading this and while I found the chapter annoying it kinda makes sense since Tadano is literally portrayed as "the super average dude." He's just happy to have someone like him. It makes sense that Manbagi wouldn't be down with that sort of thing and is probably going to confront him on it next chapter. If he really does like her and have no reservations about it and they still pull some bullshit then I'll get pissed.

For all the talk of Komi and Manbagi's development over the course of the series, Tadano has had none almost the entire manga and I think that's what we're going to get.
makes sense, tadano needs to decide for himself and not just go with the flow

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
makes sense, tadano needs to decide for himself and not just go with the flow
I'm not going to lie, the chapter literally had me go "WHAT THE FUCK, DON'T YOU LIKE KOMI?!?!"

But when I sat down to think about it all, I realized that this might be some development for him (and for Manbagi).

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quickly reposting my Komi impressions from last night. Goddamn i'm still livid. So much for Reiwa energy
It wasn't even -only- the backing away from Manbagi in the last freaking page is that this shit is just fucking forced drama shit. From this chapter it's CLEAR that even if Tadano and Manbagi do start "dating" it'll only be something temporary and Manbagi will realize that Tadano actually loves Komi and she'll end the relationship and "I love you Tadano-kun... that's why I have to set you free", cue 250 chapters of slooooooooow progress while the author introduces dozens of one dimensional quirky characters and Tadano slooooooooooowly realizes "oh yeah I like Komi!" And it ends as everyone has realized it'll end ages ago

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't even -only- the backing away from Manbagi in the last freaking page is that this shit is just fucking forced drama shit. From this chapter it's CLEAR that even if Tadano and Manbagi do start "dating" it'll only be something temporary and Manbagi will realize that Tadano actually loves Komi and she'll end the relationship and "I love you Tadano-kun... that's why I have to set you free", cue 250 chapters of slooooooooow progress while the author introduces dozens of one dimensional quirky characters and Tadano slooooooooooowly realizes "oh yeah I like Komi!" And it ends as everyone has realized it'll end ages ago
I don't think they're going to go out precisely because Manbagi has grown as a character. She's a lot stronger than she was introduced. The old Manbagi never would have been able to confess, let alone call out Tadano here. She likes him and wants him to like her back, she's not the type of person that would date someone just because they went with the flow anymore.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This weeks Kaiju no 8 was good stuff... but 3 week break, nooo... well kinda waits suck but if it's for the artist's health it's a good thing and doesn't bug me

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to go out precisely because Manbagi has grown as a character. She's a lot stronger than she was introduced. The old Manbagi never would have been able to confess, let alone call out Tadano here. She likes him and wants him to like her back, she's not the type of person that would date someone just because they went with the flow anymore.
Even if they don't go out it's still a fucking shitty thing that Tadano even accepted it.
"Aboo boo boo, the girl I thought liked me didn't give me chocolate! That means she doesn't like me! So I'll just accept this other girl's confession even if deep down I don't love her".
I can't deal with Komi anymore, the slow pacing, the boring quick new characters introductions, it's destroying me. Komi at the start really felt like a completely different(better) manga

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
That last page... it's going places now! I feel like it was stagnant for a bit, but I think it was because of all of the breaks in between, when reading it as they release.
Yeah, that coupled with the lack of any forward momentum in the plot was what was making it uninteresting to start with, I think. I was mostly in it for the art so far, but oh boy now we're actually going places.

I can't deal with Komi anymore, the slow pacing, the boring quick new characters introductions, it's destroying me. Komi at the start really felt like a completely different(better) manga
I have only read the first volume, and it honestly has sounded like people were discussing a totally different manga the last few days.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that coupled with the lack of any forward momentum in the plot was what was making it uninteresting to start with, I think. I was mostly in it for the art so far, but oh boy now we're actually going places.

I have only read the first volume, and it honestly has sounded like people were discussing a totally different manga the last few days.
It really saddens me. I used to recommend Komi to everyone. A cute romance manga with pleasing art and fun cast. But after 300(!!!!) chapters of meandering, one note new characters, old characters being flanderized to hell and back(Komi especially), and even the art looking really fucking weird sometimes(Manbagi looks like an actual alien 80% of the time) it just destroys my heart.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Not sure how many folks have Comixology Unlimited, but there's a limited time extra 50% off Kodansha books until 4/26. It stacks with whatever sale they've got active (i.e. What Did You Eat Yesterday? for $2 per volume) and pre-orders. You can do a trial for Unlimited if you've never done it before, also. (I have no idea why Way of the Househusband is in the banner...)

Thanks for sharing this, lots of stuff is really cheap right now with this sale. I grabbed all the volumes of Blue Period for $4 each, and a bunch of Cardcaptor Sakura for $5 each when they're usually $14. Real nice.

I had my eyes on lots of stuff but didn't want to load up just because it's on sale. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing this, lots of stuff is really cheap right now with this sale. I grabbed all the volumes of Blue Period for $4 each, and a bunch of Cardcaptor Sakura for $5 each when they're usually $14. Real nice.

I had my eyes on lots of stuff but didn't want to load up just because it's on sale. Any recommendations?
"didn't want to load up just because it's on sale" - haha who would do that... :|

As for recommendations, I've got plenty! I think there are some Kodansha books in the community recs in the OP, as well. Recommendations from me personally: A Silent Voice, To Your Eternity (also in the Humble Bundle), Parasyte, Mushishi, and Vinland Saga.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit bad reading the Kaiju No 8 impressions here and not feeling that strongly about the last two chapter. They're fine chapters, but they feel more like set up for other stuff later down the line.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel a bit bad reading the Kaiju No 8 impressions here and not feeling that strongly about the last two chapter. They're fine chapters, but they feel more like set up for other stuff later down the line.

For me that's why I like them, KN8 finally feels like it's getting it's main plot moving forward now that the secret is out.

Oct 28, 2017
Kaiju no 8
Well shit, that's a hell of place to place a cliff hanger

also totally forgot golden week was happening
The long break makes even more sense then.
I feel the same but this is what I've been waiting for, especially to tell if I want to continue with it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The Morose Mononokean ch 92 (END?!)

Oh wtf it just ended like that?!?! Like, last arc felt like a sort of climax to the series that's been ongoing for like 8 years now, but I figured thete would be a little more.... closure. Nope, didn't get that! Still some unanswered questions too that are best left as assumptions :/ I didn't even hear about this ending soon, so it was really a shock to me (moreso than when The Last Saiyuki ended, since I wasn't really following with news on Twitter etc about SJ series, but was surprised to see that end so abruptly).

Pretty sure it got axed and just made a conclusion in 1 chapter. Mannnnn I really enjoyed it too, so I'm sad to see it go out this way :/

Edit: Looks like I missed this, plus CR is always late on adding chapters, I guess (came out last night)
www.animenewsnetwork.com

The Morose Mononokean Manga Ends on April 8

Kiri Wazawa's manga launched in 2016, inspired TV anime with 2 seasons

Last edited: