• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Question, would a Kindle Fire HD 6 probably work fine for manga reading? Just found mine buried in my stuff. How difficult would it be to get stuff on it?

I have a Fire HD 8 and honestly it's pretty hit or miss. It works perfect with the SJ app, but I've found that some stuff from Comixology looks pretty bad. Really anything from Kodansha has been borderline unreadable to me with bad visual artifacts. I think the resolution is just too low on these tablets for it to render properly. Not that it shouldn't just work, but it doesn't. If you want to see what I'm talking about, I made a post in the old thread with screenshots https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...rds-fault-were-not-popular.9291/post-60878974

If you just plan to read scans, the size of the tablet (at least the HD 8) is perfect and will probably be just fine for your purposes. But at least for me, it's been more trouble than it's worth with Comixology so I stick to reading on my iPhone SE2 or my laptop if I want a bigger screen. Some day I'll get an iPad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Attack on Titan 139

I binged the first 110 chapters about 6-8 months ago and decided to wait until it ended before finishing the rest. I was surprised how much I had forgotten and how I had a hard time remembering who some characters even were. I thought the same the first go around, a lot of the character designs are very similar and the weird pseudo-Western names made it difficult to keep everyone straight.

I guess the ride was fun but ultimately I thought the initial premise and first half was a lot more interesting than where it ended up. I think it suffered from everyone powering up and the regular titans just became canon fodder, whereas earlier in the story a few titans were legitimately threatening. By the end they were fighting all the nine titans from history and still mostly carving through them like butter lol. It got old. I also really did not understand Eren's motive for doing really anything it the latter part of the story, and having Armin thank him for committing genocide in the final chapter was just stupid. Overall it was a fun ride but to me it did not totally live up to the intrigue and suspense of the pre-basement part of the story, which is usually how it goes for media like this.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have a Fire HD 8 and honestly it's pretty hit or miss. It works perfect with the SJ app, but I've found that some stuff from Comixology looks pretty bad. Really anything from Kodansha has been borderline unreadable to me with bad visual artifacts. I think the resolution is just too low on these tablets for it to render properly. Not that it shouldn't just work, but it doesn't. If you want to see what I'm talking about, I made a post in the old thread with screenshots https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...rds-fault-were-not-popular.9291/post-60878974

If you just plan to read scans, the size of the tablet (at least the HD 8) is perfect and will probably be just fine for your purposes. But at least for me, it's been more trouble than it's worth with Comixology so I stick to reading on my iPhone SE2 or my laptop if I want a bigger screen. Some day I'll get an iPad.
I was considering it for the humble bundle packs probably. I'd just do the few apps I do already on my phone. I'm generally doing occasional packs rather than my normal stuff that I'm adjusted to already

loob

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota
Recently got the Viz app and binged the rest of One Piece, My Hero, JJK, and Demon Slayer. Phew.

I had been following with paperback releases in USA and just couldn't stand it lol.

Yay new thread!

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I've been lurking on the first OT for a few weeks, but since there is a new OT now I figured I should pop in and try to participate! I've been reading manga since I was a kid (I think I still have plenty of SJ issues in storage somewhere), but fell off of it for a while and got back into it about a year and a half ago. Most of what I'm reading right now is on the SJ app -- my weekly favorites are Witch Watch, Sakamoto Days, Kaiju No. 8, and Spy X Family! I have been reading a ton of Haikyuu recently as well (almost at the halfway point!). Outside of SJ, I'm really enjoying My Home Hero and Record of Ragnarok, and I have a ton of stuff in my backlog that I still need to get to reading. Anyway, sorry for the long introduction but I wanted to stop lurking and start posting! :)

Oct 25, 2017
I've been lurking on the first OT for a few weeks, but since there is a new OT now I figured I should pop in and try to participate! I've been reading manga since I was a kid (I think I still have plenty of SJ issues in storage somewhere), but fell off of it for a while and got back into it about a year and a half ago. Most of what I'm reading right now is on the SJ app -- my weekly favorites are Witch Watch, Sakamoto Days, Kaiju No. 8, and Spy X Family! I have been reading a ton of Haikyuu recently as well (almost at the halfway point!). Outside of SJ, I'm really enjoying My Home Hero and Record of Ragnarok, and I have a ton of stuff in my backlog that I still need to get to reading. Anyway, sorry for the long introduction but I wanted to stop lurking and start posting! :)
never heard of my home hero. is it like mha?

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
never heard of my home hero. is it like mha?

Haha, not quite like mha! I thought the same thing when I first heard the name. It's about a murder mystery writer who has to cover up a murder of his own and has to figure out how to keep it a secret to protect his family from a crime syndicate. It's really well-thought-out and never too far-fetched imo, and it always keeps me on the edge of my seat! Definitely some content warnings should go with a recommendation for it, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and it seems like it will be reaching its climax soon.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I've been trying to buy Chainsaw Man volumes in german. Managed to get this cool first edition volume 1 with a dust jacket.
5f6b476e3e209.jpg

But goddamn is it hard to find the other volumes in any book store. All sold out. Glad it's doing well but I want them.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, not quite like mha! I thought the same thing when I first heard the name. It's about a murder mystery writer who has to cover up a murder of his own and has to figure out how to keep it a secret to protect his family from a crime syndicate. It's really well-thought-out and never too far-fetched imo, and it always keeps me on the edge of my seat! Definitely some content warnings should go with a recommendation for it, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and it seems like it will be reaching its climax soon.
Oh, this sounds interesting. I'm going to have to give it a look.

I've been trying to buy Chainsaw Man volumes in german. Managed to get this cool first edition volume 1 with a dust jacket.
5f6b476e3e209.jpg

But goddamn is it hard to find the other volumes in any book store. All sold out. Glad it's doing well but I want them.
That cover looks so good!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Welcome! upandaway and I want to know your top 5!

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how many folks have Comixology Unlimited, but there's a limited time extra 50% off Kodansha books until 4/26. It stacks with whatever sale they've got active (i.e. What Did You Eat Yesterday? for $2 per volume) and pre-orders. You can do a trial for Unlimited if you've never done it before, also. (I have no idea why Way of the Househusband is in the banner...)

Last edited:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Not sure how many folks have Comixology Unlimited, but there's a limited time extra 50% off Kodansha books until 4/26. It stacks with whatever sale they've got active, as well (i.e. What Did You Eat Yesterday? for $2 per volume). You can do a trial for Unlimited if you've never done it before, also. (I have no idea why Way of the Househusband is in the banner...)

Does it work like the Marvel ones where you can even do pre-orders with it, because that would be excellent for anyone interested. Dunno if Kodansha adds stuff for pre-order even (since I don't buy manga in English).

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Does it work like the Marvel ones where you can even do pre-orders with it, because that would be excellent for anyone interested. Dunno if Kodansha adds stuff for pre-order even (since I don't buy manga in English).
Actually typed a version of that post where I mentioned that it included pre-orders. There are a few up - Blue Period Vol. 3 and Chasing After Aoi Koshiba Vol. 1 caught my eye.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why this is not posted in community section?an I guess it doesn't matter since we have multiple OT on the regular forum.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Actually typed a version of that post where I mentioned that it included pre-orders. There are a few up - Blue Period Vol. 3 and Chasing After Aoi Koshiba Vol. 1 caught my eye.
To Your Eternity volumes are 3-5 bucks. Wow... that's like as cheap as I could get them in Japan (which is impressive). I can't believe how American prices are literally 200% a lot of the time.
Any reason why this is not posted in community section?an I guess it doesn't matter since we have multiple OT on the regular forum.
See posts 58-62. We're trying to recruit!

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Welcome! upandaway and I want to know your top 5!

Thank you for the welcome!! My all time favorite manga would have to be Oyasumi Punpun, just because I have never read anything like it (and probably won't find anything like it in the future, I think) and it made me feel so many different emotions, both good and bad. Second is definitely Chainsaw Man, and third I would give to Azumanga Daioh. That was one of the first manga I collected as a kid, and I need to give my omnibus a reread sometime soon! Fourth goes to Blue Flag, despite the fact that I haven't entirely finished it yet (waiting on the SJ app to have the last two dozen chapters or so). The art is fantastic and I love the characters, plus it's really nice seeing LGBTQ+ representation in SJ! Fifth, I'm a little embarrassed to say, is probably Naruto, because that was the first manga I ever bought, and I collected all of the pre-time skip volumes physically when I was growing up, so there's a lot of nostalgia there. Honorable mentions go to Bakuman, Please Love The Useless Me, and O Maidens in Your Savage Season! This list is definitely subject to change, as I have a lot of good series on my plan to read list and want to return to some old classics that I didn't quite finish when I was growing up!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I bought all of the A Bride's Story like 2 years ago, and I still have yet to read any of them...
I really need to fix that at some point...

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I bought all of the A Bride's Story like 2 years ago, and I still have yet to read any of them...
I really need to fix that at some point...
The time is now!
This list is definitely subject to change, as I have a lot of good series on my plan to read list and want to return to some old classics that I didn't quite finish when I was growing up!
I always feel this way, too. Thanks for the list! Lots of good stuff in there.

Oct 28, 2017
Blue Box is okay for now but the "teenage thoughts of love" annoys me now, lol. Candy Flurry is also okay no complaints yet, just okay. Yeah, I also feel I Tell C and Cop Dolphin are on the chopping block, I give C the latest in next rounds and Cop Dolphin 2 rounds from now. Magu I think would be at risk after those two but it also Gag, so I don't think it's likely.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titan 139

II also really did not understand Eren's motive for doing really anything it the latter part of the story, and having Armin thank him for committing genocide in the final chapter was just stupid.

The way I see it, Eren doesn't have a clear motive. He got overwhelmed by the flood of memories and had no clue what was going on/what to do. That certainly doesn't excuse him, but I interpreted it as a kid (and not the smartest one) being faced with a ton of knowledge and responsibility without having the ability to properly face it.
I definitely agree with your reaction to Armin's words, but I think what irked me the most of the ending was Ymir's motivation.

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Box is okay for now but the "teenage thoughts of love" annoys me now, lol. Candy Flurry is also okay no complaints yet, just okay. Yeah, I also feel I Tell C and Cop Dolphin are on the chopping block, I give C the latest in next rounds and Cop Dolphin 2 rounds from now. Magu I think would be at risk after those two but it also Gag, so I don't think it's likely.
magu would stay if successive series keep failing to find appeal.

who knows if the type of sports and romance of blue box is what jump readers want. also its not a harem and I cant remember the last time something of the sort was in the magazine.

Last edited:

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
Have the series on the lower end of the ToC always been cancelled or has there been some periods of time where even the bottom ones were successful enough that nothing was canceled and all series in Jump kept going until their natural end?

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Kaguya 225

Oh my god I just can't with this manga, every chapter is so fluffing amazing. Hope we get a lot more from the teachers.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Komi controversy is reminding me of Domestic Girlfriend. I love reading the reactions even if I don't read the manga 😂

What really get's me though is the art for it lately:

Like what the hell is going on with the girl on the left?? Looks like an alien lol

Oct 26, 2017
The Komi controversy is reminding me of Domestic Girlfriend. I love reading the reactions even if I don't read the manga 😂

What really get's me though is the art for it lately:

Like what the hell is going on with the girl on the left?? Looks like an alien lol
I've read bits and pieces about domestic girlfriends trash tier ending and I don't think it's nearly that bad buuuuuut it's like a slap in the face to the characters and readers alike so it's still bad

(Fuck my luck that my first post in new thread mentions domestic girlfriend and komi latest chapter :/ )

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the welcome!! My all time favorite manga would have to be Oyasumi Punpun, just because I have never read anything like it (and probably won't find anything like it in the future, I think) and it made me feel so many different emotions, both good and bad. Second is definitely Chainsaw Man, and third I would give to Azumanga Daioh. That was one of the first manga I collected as a kid, and I need to give my omnibus a reread sometime soon! Fourth goes to Blue Flag, despite the fact that I haven't entirely finished it yet (waiting on the SJ app to have the last two dozen chapters or so). The art is fantastic and I love the characters, plus it's really nice seeing LGBTQ+ representation in SJ! Fifth, I'm a little embarrassed to say, is probably Naruto, because that was the first manga I ever bought, and I collected all of the pre-time skip volumes physically when I was growing up, so there's a lot of nostalgia there. Honorable mentions go to Bakuman, Please Love The Useless Me, and O Maidens in Your Savage Season! This list is definitely subject to change, as I have a lot of good series on my plan to read list and want to return to some old classics that I didn't quite finish when I was growing up!
Good picks, I need to reread Azumanga sometime

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man rules!

No shame in Naruto, there are a few series from my childhood that I still hold dear that maybe aren't the best.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another post staning A Brides' Story!

otoyomegatari_-_otoyttj0o.jpeg

And now I recall I have to catch up to learn what happened to poor Pariya

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm going to actively try and post in here and maybe actually watch more manga than the weekly shounen stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Have the series on the lower end of the ToC always been cancelled or has there been some periods of time where even the bottom ones were successful enough that nothing was canceled and all series in Jump kept going until their natural end?
There's been a gag immunity spot in the past at the bottom. It's not instant death. But usually there is a series or two that's weak. It's just the reality of things

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Restart from the beginning

The anime skips a handful of arcs that are worth going back for

Alright, cool, thank you.

As posted above, if you're a running gag series, you'll probably be fine. Anything else and you're risking the axe.

It's kinda interesting when you think about it too. I remember when season 1 of Dr. Stone was airing, the editor said in an interview, that Dr. Stone was kept around because it ranked high in Jump's popularity polls despite being what they considered a poor seller.

That said, Phantom Seer was killed super quicky deapite being a top seller (vol 1 and 2 did 100k ) but was always at the bottom of the TOC. I personally never finished chapter 1, but hearing how well it was doing sales wise made me think it would be the next big thing for WSJ. But nope.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That said, Phantom Seer was killed super quicky deapite being a top seller (vol 1 and 2 did 100k ) but was always at the bottom of the TOC. I personally never finished chapter 1, but hearing how well it was doing sales wise made me think it would be the next big thing for WSJ. But nope.
Yeah, seeing Phantom Seer canned so early was disappointing as it was not only starting to expand its world a bit, but setting up a decent structure for tackling the big bad and the motivations for doing so. I'm expecting some similar series being killed here soon just because of how it ranks, not necessarily because it's decent.