• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
OK, embargo is up!

I'm at 64% completion so far so I still have a couple of hours to go. Basically it's an enjoyably trashy game if you can appreciate jank and repetition, but if you were hoping for a genuinely polished, rich experience, this isn't it.

I was surprised at two things above all else; it's really short. I've been playing the main campaign maybe 4 hours and I reckon I'll be done by 6-7 hours. But I do think this is a smart move overall because the gameplay is just too shallow (sorry) to keep anyone glued for 20+ hours. The core framework of the story mode basically repeats itself in every chapter and a lot of the missions are generic stuff like "eat 10 trout" or whatever. There is side content of course but it mostly just seems like more of the same.

It's also incredibly easy. Like, I've barely died at all and nothing feels like a challenge, even the boss encounters.

My favourite thing is probably the progression system. Again, not particularly complex, but seeing the shark grow and get stronger is pretty cool, even if I think it may be unbalanced because I've done almost no grinding at all and I'm just trouncing everything.

Controlling the shark is a mixed bag; you can basically get away with button mashing for combat. Jumping around on land is irritating but intentionally so. The camera can be annoying when you move from underwater to the surface.

Tonally I like how it doesn't take itself seriously, and if you just want a fairly relaxing, simple game it'll definitely do the job. But it's pretty rough around the edges overall. Unless there are major gameplay changes by the end I'm guessing I'll be giving it around a 6-.0-6.5/10. Fun in its laid back simplicity, but wait for a sale unless you're really eager to play it because there's no way this is worth £34.99.

I'm kinda shocked it was in development for so many years tbh, especially with how basic the graphics are.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the impressions. Had just watched this chap raving about it and its 16-20 hours length so good to get some balance. Think this is one I'll take a punt on nevertheless at £25.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
OK, embargo is up!

I'm at 64% completion so far so I still have a couple of hours to go. Basically it's an enjoyably trashy game if you can appreciate jank and repetition, but if you were hoping for a genuinely polished, rich experience, this isn't it.

I was surprised at two things above all else; it's really short. I've been playing the main campaign maybe 4 hours and I reckon I'll be done by 6-7 hours. But I do think this is a smart move overall because the gameplay is just too shallow (sorry) to keep anyone glued for 20+ hours. The core framework of the story mode basically repeats itself in every chapter and a lot of the missions are generic stuff like "eat 10 trout" or whatever. There is side content of course but it mostly just seems like more of the same.

It's also incredibly easy. Like, I've barely died at all and nothing feels like a challenge, even the boss encounters.

My favourite thing is probably the progression system. Again, not particularly complex, but seeing the shark grow and get stronger is pretty cool, even if I think it may be unbalanced because I've done almost no grinding at all and I'm just trouncing everything.

Controlling the shark is a mixed bag; you can basically get away with button mashing for combat. Jumping around on land is irritating but intentionally so. The camera can be annoying when you move from underwater to the surface.

Tonally I like how it doesn't take itself seriously, and if you just want a fairly relaxing, simple game it'll definitely do the job. But it's pretty rough around the edges overall. Unless there are major gameplay changes by the end I'm guessing I'll be giving it around a 6-.0-6.5/10. Fun in its laid back simplicity, but wait for a sale unless you're really eager to play it because there's no way this is worth £34.99.

I'm kinda shocked it was in development for so many years tbh, especially with how basic the graphics are.

You sold me, I bit the bullet. I'm absolutely in the mood for something relaxing and chill that's also not Animal Crossing (I've put about about 80 hours into that) while also being pretty short (currently in the middle of Persona V and will probably play Xenoblade after). This sounds like a great filler.

I also literally hate difficult games, so the easier the better. "Barely died and nothing feels like a challenge" is a super plus to me.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Was eyeing this for a while, but all the impressions and the footage for the game are turning me away and don't really sound like something I'd enjoy, shame ..
Because the concept is amazing!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
A couple questions for you. I may not mind the mission structure but that depends on the rest of it. How are the collectibles: Is it fun to find them, like you need to explore to find them or are they just along the path right in front of you? Are they decent with lore or anything? Are there any puzzles of any kind, environmental or otherwise? Are there any metroid aspects of seeing places you can't get to without the right powerup? Sorry for the all the questions lol but thanks in advance!

Collectibles are some license plates spinning around like in a Tony Hawk game, you have to jump and press the "bite button" to collect them. there is no good flow to this at all.

no puzzles at all, there are a few gates that you can only open if your shark has leveled up enough/evolved but they mostly lead to more license plates and mutagen caches(the other collectibles)which give resources to upgrade skills, some are shortcut tunnels connecting to an other area

i think the biggest problem of the game is the fact that there is no challenge to anything. it plays by itself and feels heavily guided. the bosses (so called "apex predators"), basically a higher leveled version of a regular enemy type, are super boring to fight against.
also the areas are too small for a shark game. all in all it feels like a game from the end of last console generation, for better or worse. there is an area called "The Gulf" where you think it is large but there are literally walls which you reach when swimming like 15-20seconds to the "open sea"

also every area has the same "underwater tunnels" system, there is nothing unique to the areas at all other than the theme and little points of interest which play a short sequence like in Far Cry 3 when you cleared an point of interest and mostly contain nonsense like some skeletons under water or a tiki statue with some dumb explanation by the narrator. this guy talks through the whole game and by the half of the game i was sick of him lol.

there is a GTA "wanted" system like when you attack humans there are hunter boats coming in. when you destroy them a named boss shows up on a boat. there are 10 such enemies and by the 8th you are destroying boats for like 5 or 6 minutes till the boss spawns, it is not exciting at all. when the boss spawns there plays a little sequence introducing him with some super jank animations :-)

it all feels very dated and really repetitive because every area has the same tasks and activities and the combat is rather braindead

nevertheless i had fun with it but i was also glad when it was finished

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Had some interest in this game when It was first revealed as I was a low-key fan of the old SNES game E.V.O. Been watching some videos and streams of it and is the ugliness an aesthetic choice? I don't mean the graphics (though some parts of it do give me mid 00s 360 era flashbacks with the lighting and presentation) but in general so far from what I've seen the game looks like it takes place in some sort of post apocalyptic, polluted, dirty swamp. The water is like fucking green. Does the area variety open up at some point? Like I know it's going for a sort of over the top, edgy tone, but the ocean gives you the potential for some beautiful visuals feels like a missed opportunity if it doesn't.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had some interest in this game when It was first revealed as I was a low-key fan of the old SNES game E.V.O. Been watching some videos and streams of it and is the ugliness an aesthetic choice? I don't mean the graphics (though some parts of it do give me mid 00s 360 era flashbacks with the lighting and presentation) but in general so far from what I've seen the game looks like it takes place in some sort of post apocalyptic, polluted, dirty swamp. The water is like fucking green. Does the area variety open up at some point? Like I know it's going for a sort of over the top, edgy tone, but the ocean gives you the potential for some beautiful visuals feels like a missed opportunity if it doesn't.
Strangely enough we still have full embargo for awhile. But I think an impression won't get me in trouble. No the water is different in many places and in some places looks VERY good or at the very least its combination with some locations. (remembering this is a B level game)
HOWEVER, the game channels Saints ROW and its color identify HARD.

Also from 3 other people finishing it they all were at 9+ hours with 1 matching or exceeding the length of that video review above.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this game is boring, or I'm missing something. I'm a level 6 shark and the only objective I have is to kill a level 15 crocodile. It hits me twice and I'm dead. Combat is just jamming RT, there are no upgrades or "loot" so I just respawn and try again.

Killing things gives you basically no XP and there's nothing useful to find. It feels like an F2P game that they forgot to put transactions in.

It's not that it's hard, it's that it's a pointless waste of time that keeps acting like something good is coming but it's always later.

Massive disappointment, I've really been waiting on this one

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish the OP made a Hall & Oates reference...

Gonna see how this game runs on Switch.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, some of these impressions are rough. Our review is going live in 45 minutes, but I can safely say I don't agree with RedStep - I had a blast with it...

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's my review - I really enjoyed it, tons of fun and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Probably best not to marathon this one, as it can get a bit repetitive after a while

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Had preordered on epic but looks like u can use the $10 off thing when it's released so canned order. I'll pick it up today, sounds goofy as fuck, just what I need now.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Picked this up cheap and am really quite enjoying it. Seems more polished than I was expecting, with only a bit of clipping here and there, and looks quite nice on the X too. Pro tip - don't mess with gators just after being born. It doesn't end well.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Holy shit this game is boring, or I'm missing something. I'm a level 6 shark and the only objective I have is to kill a level 15 crocodile. It hits me twice and I'm dead. Combat is just jamming RT, there are no upgrades or "loot" so I just respawn and try again.

doesn´t seem right, i never died once in this game.

maybe check if you have quests in another area. open your log and there is a list with everything you have to do in an area. when you are in the bayou it leads to the third area at some point and after that you can return to the bayou to do the lvl 15 crocodiles. first you change location to this dead horse lake area though.

also remember, you can swim a bit away and eat to replenish health when fighting

I'm loving this piece of shit game. The narrator has had me chuckle a couple of times too.

trust me, after a few hours you will mute him, this nonstop babbling is getting on the nerves at some point

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Despite the kinda lower-end skew of the impressions and reviews, I am kinda looking forward to trying this game someday. Maybe I will wait and see if it ends up on Game Pass, though if it goes on sale for $20 or less, I may give it a bite.

I really love the idea of it, at least. And I like sharks. Sharks are cool.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
There seem to be 6 listed reviews so far and all of them are between 7.5 and 9.1, so I don't think it'll average that low. Probably mid to high 70s, which is good enough for me.

Interesting, quite surprised at how high some of those scores are. I think the average will drop quite sharply when more major outlets review it though.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
OK, embargo is up!

Shame to hear about the length. I don't mind jank, but that's absurdly short for a forty dollar game. I'll be waiting on a sale for sure now. Thank you!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
shaneo632 thanks for the impressions. I had no idea what this game was actually gonna be.

I really like the pitch of 'Shark GTA' but it is more 'Shark GTA3'-sounding than I would've expected. I was thinking it'd be more simulation, less arcadiness.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
GameStar(Germany) review: 63%

+ you play as a shark, shark is nicely animated, evolutionsystem, fast travel, setting, 8 areas
- muddy textures, omnipresent fog, the look of the game is not atmospheric, repetitive, short

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/maneater-pc-test-review,3358044,wertung.html

seems exact, i would have given it 6/10 as well

Yes I dug the fast travel as well. Basically I like that the game isn't a huge time waster; you can do everything you want really quickly and it's not some bloated 30 hour mess of repetitive missions. It's repetitive, yes, but it's also brief (though the price should probably reflect that).

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yes I dug the fast travel as well. Basically I like that the game isn't a huge time waster; you can do everything you want really quickly and it's not some bloated 30 hour mess of repetitive missions. It's repetitive, yes, but it's also brief (though the price should probably reflect that).

what i didn´t like was that you can only change the "evolutions" at the grottos though. often i wanted to change them from boneset to electric and thought "screw it, don´t want to fast travel now"

and even for the brief playtime it really gets repetitive, the last two areas i was like "ok, that´s enough of this" :-)

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
I have it preordered through Amazon for $34 but it won't get here until next week. Tempted to run out and buy it locally at the higher price so we can play it over the long weekend...looking forward to some dumb fun shark action.

Anyone know anything about it being a day one edition at Best Buy? I know there was some weird stuff going on with the preorder bonus for this game and I don't think my Amazon order will get it. Wondering if it will have it if I get it elsewhere.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Will def play this when it inevitably comes to game pass or at least a discount.

kinda glad to hear it's not super challenging

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
General FYI too in case anyone is curious. The Epic Coupon does work with this, so you can get it for $29.99.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
what i didn´t like was that you can only change the "evolutions" at the grottos though. often i wanted to change them from boneset to electric and thought "screw it, don´t want to fast travel now"

and even for the brief playtime it really gets repetitive, the last two areas i was like "ok, that´s enough of this" :-)

Yeah I agree with all this. Also it's annoying if you want to fast travel but the game says you're in the middle of combat even if you've already spent 2 minutes swimming away from a shark or something.

And for the "eat 10 fish" missions, running out of fish and having to leave the area to make them respawn felt like some PS2-era shit.

My review
www.youtube.com

Maneater Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Destroy All Humans Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXUQKkx7mo Ghost of Tsushima Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZbY84Fd9I&t=2s Karak sits do...

Great review, pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
7 from ign sealed it for me, $30 on epic with coupon so downloading now. I just want a game to goof like I do in gta5

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
7.5 from Easy Allies:

Ultimately, Maneater's biggest flaw is repetition. What's here is good, and playing as a shark has never felt better. But, activities can quickly feel routine as you do the same types of objectives over and over. Still, if you want to carve a bloody path of carnage as a horrifying shark, there's nothing quite like it.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

Maneater

You were cut from your mother's body and left to die in the unforgiving waters of the Gulf Coast. Your only tools are your wits, your jaws, and an uncanny ability to evolve as you feed. Anything and everything is on the menu... provided you kill it before it kills you.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Maneater

You were cut from your mother's body and left to die in the unforgiving waters of the Gulf Coast. Your only tools are your wits, your jaws, and an uncanny ability to evolve as you feed. Anything and everything is on the menu... provided you kill it before it kills you.

yeah, looking at the topmost reviews i just shake my head in disbelief

"Maneater´s deep combat..." what deep combat ffs?
"Maneater does a great job to give people a compelling and rewarding Shark RPG" compelling and rewarding? this is shallow as it gets, you see bars filling up, you get a few skills and that was it

metacritic definitely was a mistake looking at what outlets get their scores into the metascore

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Now that embargo is up.. I'd definitely give Maneater a 7/10. It did open world collectibles and missions pretty much by the book. Underwater combat is still pretty fun, especially as you get the hang of dodging or biting/tailwhipping enemies around. Anything out of water, from jumping to trying to eat civilians, are both really janky and not fun to control.

What I did like about it was the backtracking and being able to explore new segments of the world once you grew to a certain size or got new abilities. Some of these felt under utilized, such as gates that have to be opened from the other side. There's no point to these, as you can just fast travel at any time outside of combat and there usually aren't collectibles to be found.

You also don't get shark upgrades doled out at the right pace. It wasn't until the second to last area or so that I finally got a head upgrade for my shark. Before that, I was running a 4/5 piece set bonus for doing the bosses at each infamy rank. IIRC, the other two are given out for 100% completing certain collectible categories.

TLdJ3gH.jpg

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Another review for the pile. Kind of surprised it's doing as well as it is!

Game is very rough, and performance is terrible on the PS4, but...crunching up humans and prey is fun on a basic level, and the game's stakes are low enough that the game's many problems don't really sink it. It feels like a PS2-era game you might have pulled out of a bargain bin and enjoyed despite yourself. So yeah, set your expectations appropriately, and it might be worth y our time.

wccftech.com

Maneater Review – Rough Waters Ahead

Is Maneater the bloody-good time shark fans have been waiting for or does is sink under the weight of high expectations? Check out our full review!

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Does anyone know what the specific PS4 Pro/XB1X enhancements are? I'm on the fence about which version to buy. I've heard possibly native 4K but I don't know for certain. 60fps?

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
I've been playing for a couple of days on Xbox One X. I kinda love this game. It's not perfect by any means, and the RPG systems lack some serious depth (no pun intended), but it's like the perfect palette cleanser for bloated open-world games.

I've decided it's basically Crackdown, but you play as a shark, complete with stat-based objectives that make you beefier and a great narrator voice. I recommend!

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It just booted me and says there is a 6GB update. kind of weird as the entire game is just 6GB on Xbox.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Collectibles are some license plates spinning around like in a Tony Hawk game, you have to jump and press the "bite button" to collect them. there is no good flow to this at all.

no puzzles at all, there are a few gates that you can only open if your shark has leveled up enough/evolved but they mostly lead to more license plates and mutagen caches(the other collectibles)which give resources to upgrade skills, some are shortcut tunnels connecting to an other area

i think the biggest problem of the game is the fact that there is no challenge to anything. it plays by itself and feels heavily guided. the bosses (so called "apex predators"), basically a higher leveled version of a regular enemy type, are super boring to fight against.
also the areas are too small for a shark game. all in all it feels like a game from the end of last console generation, for better or worse. there is an area called "The Gulf" where you think it is large but there are literally walls which you reach when swimming like 15-20seconds to the "open sea"

also every area has the same "underwater tunnels" system, there is nothing unique to the areas at all other than the theme and little points of interest which play a short sequence like in Far Cry 3 when you cleared an point of interest and mostly contain nonsense like some skeletons under water or a tiki statue with some dumb explanation by the narrator. this guy talks through the whole game and by the half of the game i was sick of him lol.

there is a GTA "wanted" system like when you attack humans there are hunter boats coming in. when you destroy them a named boss shows up on a boat. there are 10 such enemies and by the 8th you are destroying boats for like 5 or 6 minutes till the boss spawns, it is not exciting at all. when the boss spawns there plays a little sequence introducing him with some super jank animations :-)

it all feels very dated and really repetitive because every area has the same tasks and activities and the combat is rather braindead

nevertheless i had fun with it but i was also glad when it was finished

Thank you for this! I'm definitely going to hold off for now until it's cheaper. You verified what I was already thinking so much appreciated. I'll definitely check it out at some point but now.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for a lot of gamers this is going to hit an amazing spot of just stupid relaxing fun. And I get that. There is a lot of that the game can offer if you know the tradeoffs and I admit gliding through the deeper sea areas exploring was actually very fun