• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
wdbH8a6.jpg

Developer : Blindside Interactive / Tripwire Interactive
Publisher: Tripwire Interactive
Release: May 22, 2020
Platforms: PS4XBOX, PC, Switch (later this year)
Engine : Unreal Engine 4
Price: $39.99 / €39.99 / £34.99
Features : X Enhanced, PS4 Pro, "4K"
Official Site: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/maneater
Genre: Action RPG

Preorder Bonuses: Tiger Shark Adaptation

ae34aaa0-37ef-11ea-9508-d9be7bece920-ManEaterPreOrderItem-1.png

PC Recommended Specs

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or Higher
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 390 or Higher
Download Size: Approx 6GB

Trailers

Screenshots
cddc5e10-746d-11ea-ade5-d1d1b8ae4b1c-maneater-background10.png

5545bb50-3b05-11ea-bbcc-4762286facf8-maneater-background2.png

596416f0-963b-11ea-b479-2d2989941d85-ManeaterLaunchScreen3crop.jpg

Become a MANEATER

Experience the ultimate power fantasy as the apex predator of the seas - a terrifying SHARK! Maneater is a single player, open world action RPG (ShaRkPG) where YOU are the shark. Starting as a small shark pup you are tasked with surviving the harsh world while eating your way up the ecosystem. To do this you will explore a large and varied open world encountering diverse enemies - both human and wildlife. Find the right resources and you can grow and evolve far beyond what nature intended, allowing the player to tailor the shark to their play style. This is fortunate, because to get revenge on the cruel fisherman that dismembered you will take evolving into a massive shark, an apex predator of legends. Eat. Explore. Evolve.

Unique Story
Play through a full narrative, story-based campaign narrated by Chris Parnell (Rick and Morty, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) and set against the backdrop of a reality TV show.

Evolve Into a Legend
Feed on humans and wildlife to grow your shark, and find shark loot to evolve your shark down multiple possible paths.

Explore the Gulf
7 large regions including bayous of the gulf coast, resort beaches, industrial docks, the open ocean and more. Experience a living world with a full day/night cycle.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for reviews, but I'm excited for this. It's been on my radar since the first E3 trailer for it.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Eh... thats never a good sign...

Looking forward to the game hopefully it is just a misstep on the developer/publisher part for this embargo.

There has been a bit of vagueness about it (Covid communications?). You shall see from the trailers and the footage online ,It has a similar kind of vibe to things like Destroy all Humans or even the Tony Hawks games. Weird comparison, but that is what it reminds me of.

The trailers also show the presentation is pretty unique, between Chris Parnell's Wildlife Documentary delivery and the pastiche of US "EXTREME" Fishing based reality TV shows, it certainly has a flavour of it's own [man meat!]

It's a budget title and expectations should be perhaps set accordingly, TLOU2 this is not.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Not a fan of that embargo. High potential of jank here and a certain amount can make something unplayable. I'm really kinda looking forward to this, but reviews first.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
There has been a bit of vagueness about it (Covid communications?). You shall see from the trailers and the footage online ,It has a similar kind of vibe to things like Destroy all Humans or even the Tony Hawks games. Weird comparison, but that is what it reminds me of.

The trailers also show the presentation is pretty unique, between Chris Parnell's Wildlife Documentary delivery and the pastiche of US "EXTREME" Fishing based reality TV shows, it certainly has a flavour of it's own [man meat!]

It's a budget title and expectations should be perhaps set accordingly, TLOU2 this is not.

Oh I am expecting Jank I just want to know how much Jank. Like is this EDF level of fun or what.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my eye on it since the initial trailer. I'm not terribly worried about what it costs, I still want to wait on some reviews to see if it's worth my time.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Played 2-3 hours on PS4 Pro so far. Yeah it's so much AA. It's fun, you swim around, eat fishes. There are few challenges like open treasures, kill specific people, discover unique places etc.
Upgrade system is pretty decent. I don't think reviews will be bad, pretty mediocre.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm concerned about the embargo since it looked like a jank-fest from the first reveal. Something that was unlikely to get glowing reviews regardless. The question was/is whether or not it's a fun jank-fest which seems to be the case.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It is an ok game which lives by the premise that you control a shark. sadly there is absolutely no challenge to the game and fighting feels not very technical. later on wrecking boats is basically "push r1 again and again"

also, there are the same "quests" in every area. it is a very repetitive game that is fun in small doses and feels like something out of last console generation.(which can be good or bad depending on the player)

i have my fun playing it for around an hour at max

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Probably see what the reviews say before deciding to pick this one up, although it's definitely on my radar.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Have it preordered on Xbox X. As someone who had a blast with Jaws Unleashed I've been looking forward to it since the initial reveal!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Heads up that the PS4Pro fan get worked up hard randomly with this game. i was fighting three boats and suddenly it goes into jet engine mode. the same happens when pausing the game, but if you go into the evolution menu it stops suddenly.

there is something wrong with this game for sure, it shouldn´t stress the Pro as hard as it does.

also, the day/night cycle is too short, it moves too fast. i can´t understand that every game has those timelapse cycles, just make this longer if you have a day/night cycle in your game.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this dang game! Coming in the mail tomorrow from Best Buy as it wasn't available for pick up at any of the stores around here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I forgot about this game. :( With Mafia 2 DE and Wonderful 101 my hands are already full of games. Probably will wait for a sale unless i can get this discounted at launch.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It is an ok game which lives by the premise that you control a shark. sadly there is absolutely no challenge to the game and fighting feels not very technical. later on wrecking boats is basically "push r1 again and again"

also, there are the same "quests" in every area. it is a very repetitive game that is fun in small doses and feels like something out of last console generation.(which can be good or bad depending on the player)

i have my fun playing it for around an hour at max

A couple questions for you. I may not mind the mission structure but that depends on the rest of it. How are the collectibles: Is it fun to find them, like you need to explore to find them or are they just along the path right in front of you? Are they decent with lore or anything? Are there any puzzles of any kind, environmental or otherwise? Are there any metroid aspects of seeing places you can't get to without the right powerup? Sorry for the all the questions lol but thanks in advance!

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna wait on reviews, it looks like fun to screw around with for short burts. if they bomb I'll use the $40 on Ironman psvr.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Any word on the thematic aspects of this game? Particularly, does it do anything to dispel the problematic depictions of sharks in media and social consciousness, or try to help the player understand these animals in a better way? Or does it do the exact opposite? Or is it too low-brow/"mindless fun" to even get into that conversation?

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on the thematic aspects of this game? Particularly, does it do anything to dispel the problematic depictions of sharks in media and social consciousness, or try to help the player understand these animals in a better way? Or does it do the exact opposite? Or is it too low-brow/"mindless fun" to even get into that conversation?

If it helps the last trailer pointed out humans kill millions of sharks a year, at the start of the trailer. It's a revenge story.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

You play as a shark that is our for revenge against american trophy hunters and extreme fishermen after your mother is killed and you are hurt by one "Bayou Billy"

You spend the game evolving electric teeth, Sonar abilities and The ability to breath air - so you can get revenge on him and his kind.

His Kind

For the rest of the game , Chris [Rick and Morty's Gerry] Parnell narrates the show very much in the vein of a wildlife documentary, which is far more matter of fact about animal behaviour

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
If it helps the last trailer pointed out humans kill millions of sharks a year, at the start of the trailer. It's a revenge story.
You play as a shark that is our for revenge against american trophy hunters and extreme fishermen after your mother is killed and you are hurt by one "Bayou Billy"

You spend the game evolving electric teeth, Sonar abilities and The ability to breath air - so you can get revenge on him and his kind.

His Kind

For the rest of the game , Chris [Rick and Morty's Gerry] Parnell narrates the show very much in the vein of a wildlife documentary, which is far more matter of fact about animal behaviour

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll check it out since the game seems pretty unusual.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say I've been following this, but it perks my interest every time it pops up on my feed. The live stream demo looked pretty good. The combat looks awesome, a refreshing change over the auto situational stuff that's become the go-to for open world games these days outside a select few series.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Aaaaaand finished. 90% done, a few collectibles are left but i won´t finish them. 10h30min playtime.

it is a 6/10 experience to me, back in the days there were often 6/10 games where much fun can be had but they have too many flaws to give them more. this is such a game.

it was a fun romp but it is super repetitive, it lacks polish in a few aspects and basically you do the same in the first area as in the last one, the game never really evolves its formula in any meaningful way which is a bit funny because the game is about "evolutions"

The combat looks awesome, a refreshing change over the auto situational stuff that's become the go-to for open world games these days outside a select few series.

combat is not exactly the strong point of the game. never needed the dodge move, only at the end and wrecking ships boils down to "press r1 multiple times" as soon as you got the bonefins. other combat is "press r2 multiple times"

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
combat is not exactly the strong point of the game. never needed the dodge move, only at the end and wrecking ships boils down to "press r1 multiple times" as soon as you got the bonefins. other combat is "press r2 multiple times"
Hmmm. Thanks for the impressions. I may wait for it to hit a half off sale. I don't see it holding the $40 USD price for long.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Been playing a review code the last few days, on 51% story completion so far. Anyone know the embargo time? I just got told "May 22nd" without a specific time lmao.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
This might be just what the Doctor prescribed. Looking forward to the reviews and possible pickup tomorrow!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Aaaaaand finished. 90% done, a few collectibles are left but i won´t finish them. 10h30min playtime.

it is a 6/10 experience to me, back in the days there were often 6/10 games where much fun can be had but they have too many flaws to give them more. this is such a game.

it was a fun romp but it is super repetitive, it lacks polish in a few aspects and basically you do the same in the first area as in the last one, the game never really evolves its formula in any meaningful way which is a bit funny because the game is about "evolutions"

any items glitch out of the game for you? I missed some things because they won't appear in the world (everything else is 100%ed).

Been playing a review code the last few days. Anyone know the embargo time? I just got told "May 22nd" without a specific time lmao.

Well Xbox gets it 8p tonight and Playstation at 12:01a, guess they are strict on revealing it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
any items glitch out of the game for you? I missed some things because they won't appear in the world (everything else is 100%ed).

Well Xbox gets it 8p tonight and Playstation at 12:01a, guess they are strict on revealing it.

My editor said I can post anything after midnight in my region (2 hours from now), so I'll be back with my impressions then :)