• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I'm waffling on getting this. On one hand... I bought Jaws Unleashed , fully knowing how crap that game was (and enjoyed it thoroughly once Stockholm syndrome kicked in and I got use to the awkwardness), and this apparently is Jaws Unleashed , but crazier, possibly better-playing, and narrated by Chris Parnell. On the other, I've spent a lot on games since quarantine started and I paid a ton of attention to sales.

EDIT: It's thirty-something on Amazon, I have forty bucks of store credit there... fuckit, here we go.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Really eager to read impressions or reviews of this. Still trips me up that this is developed by the team behind Red Orchestra (<3 x 1000) and Killing Floor.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Super excited for this as I love sharks. Looks fun based on some videos I saw a few months ago. Makes me want some sort of bigger shark co-op game where you can be different sharks and what not. Lol.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very interested but im expecting it to be kinda ass and janky af

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seen this online but only just watched the trailer and it looks a lot of fun.

The £30 price rage is also rather tempting too, might have to put an order in as it looks pretty interesting and over the top stupid in a good way.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Love me some sharks, so I'm all over this one. I'm hoping it reviews well enough for me to pick it up.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm waffling on getting this. On one hand... I bought Jaws Unleashed , fully knowing how crap that game was (and enjoyed it thoroughly once Stockholm syndrome kicked in and I got use to the awkwardness), and this apparently is Jaws Unleashed , but crazier, possibly better-playing, and narrated by Chris Parnell. On the other, I've spent a lot on games since quarantine started and I paid a ton of attention to sales.

EDIT: It's thirty-something on Amazon, I have forty bucks of store credit there... fuckit, here we go.

It's also $33.88 at Walmart if anyone is interested. I tried cancelling my order because it said I wouldn't get it until next week but looks like it's still going through. Was just gonna pay full price for Xbox version tomorrow instead :(.

It's also $33.88 in store at Walmart when it releases though.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Super excited for this as I love sharks. Looks fun based on some videos I saw a few months ago. Makes me want some sort of bigger shark co-op game where you can be different sharks and what not. Lol.

Wasn't there a team-based multiplayer game? One was divers with spearguns, the other team was sharks? I remember that being a thing a while ago.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to try this regardless of impressions and reviews lol

Once in awhile you just need a game that's dumb fun

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Wasn't there a team-based multiplayer game? One was divers with spearguns, the other team was sharks? I remember that being a thing a while ago.
There was two I believe. Depth and another one with "man" in the title. Depth is OK, if not a bit too chaotic for my tastes. Plus playing the diver triggers that fear of the ocean in me.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Want it a lot but I'm waiting on the Switch version. Hope it's not too much later.

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am installing at the moment, there is a 2GB patch to load.

will post some impressions later, have to do some stuff first.

tenor.gif

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Played the intro, some really quick first impressions

-uses Unreal Engine 4
-30fps, seems stable so far
-you can´t adjust the camera distance, only one fixed perspective
-really small subtititles
-PS4Pro in jet engine mode when pausing the game, also loud in game (but it is warm here today, so idk if this is normal. in pause mode it is louder than ingame though)
-there is some kind of haze effect which makes the game look a bit washed out in daytime
-underwater graphics are cool imo
-no difficulty settings, only one set difficulty

controls are good so far, biting enemies feels a bit "flat", not much feedback but you can also lash with your tail.

tone is like a b-movie which fits the game so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played the intro, some really quick first impressions

-uses Unreal Engine 4
-30fps, seems stable so far
-you can´t adjust the camera distance, only one fixed perspective
-really small subtititles
-PS4Pro in jet engine mode when pausing the game, also loud in game (but it is warm here today, so idk if this is normal. in pause mode it is louder than ingame though)
-there is some kind of haze effect which makes the game look a bit washed out in daytime
-underwater graphics are cool imo
-no difficulty settings, only one set difficulty

controls are good so far, biting enemies feels a bit "flat", not much feedback but you can also lash with your tail.

tone is like a b-movie which fits the game so far.

Thanks! I'll be getting it on PC. Small subtitles is a bummer, since I play with those. Having fun, though?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Thanks! I'll be getting it on PC. Small subtitles is a bummer, since I play with those. Having fun, though?

It is for sure refreshing to play as a shark again lol.

so far the "Far Cry underwater" comparison seems fitting. seems like a fun game from the little i´ve played. you have to eat to level up, there are skills to equip, grottos that are like safehouses, sidemissions, collectibles, "mutagen caches" to find which give you more resources at once. you also have a sonar which is like a scanner to show you the enemies surrounding you.

only thing bothering me so far is the fan of the Pro, really loud when pausing the game

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
only thing bothering me so far is the fan of the Pro, really loud when pausing the game
Not a problem for me then since nearly every game makes my Pro sound like a hairdryer so I only play with headphones now lol.

Part of the reason I can't wait for the PS5, a hopefully quiet console will actually allow me to play games with my surround sound again instead of only being able to use it for video like I currently do.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Played a little further, it is entertaining because of the premise and setting but don´t expect something imaginative when it comes to the actual questdesign. "kill 10 humans" multiple times, "kill barracudas" multiple times, in between there are collectibles to be found, you can earn "armor" parts and upgrade them. often it is the "lets see what this question mark is" exploration design, it is very guided.

bosses are called "apex predators" for example a big barracuda was the first boss.

and there is a system like in GTA, when you kill humans there fills a bar and you are hunted by boats, you have to raise the bar to kill named human bosses.

i think the weak point is the combat, i mean yeah you are a shark and there is not much tactic or nuance. you can dodge, strike with your tail for a short stun and bite.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a little further, it is entertaining because of the premise and setting but don´t expect something imaginative when it comes to the actual questdesign. "kill 10 humans" multiple times, "kill barracudas" multiple times, in between there are collectibles to be found, you can earn "armor" parts and upgrade them. often it is the "lets see what this question mark is" exploration design, it is very guided.

Damn, this is what I thought based on the early footage. Was hoping I'd be wrong.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Tripwire did have a livestream today of the game,

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

so there's about 2~ hours of gameplay.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It is for sure refreshing to play as a shark again lol.

so far the "Far Cry underwater" comparison seems fitting. seems like a fun game from the little i´ve played. you have to eat to level up, there are skills to equip, grottos that are like safehouses, sidemissions, collectibles, "mutagen caches" to find which give you more resources at once. you also have a sonar which is like a scanner to show you the enemies surrounding you.

Sounds like one of those games with uncapped framerate in menus.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
played further

well, this is not exactly inspired, most stuff is standard open world checklist gameplay. sometimes the graphics look good and in other parts it looks like a remastered last gen game. the ugly filter over the picture remembers me a bit of Dead Island.

sometimes the framerate tanks when fighting enemy boats. the animations of the human enemies are really janky and in general the game screams low budget

there is sadly no challenge at all, as soon as i had three evolutions i´ve upgraded them and since then it is like going through the motions. the areas are a bit too smallish for such a game, it feels restrictive as a result.

also, i´ve played like 4 hours and 50% story progress is done already. seems like an 8hr story without the collectibles

it is still fun in small doses but this is no game for extended sessions because it gets really repetitive.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot about that, gonna buy it later today after I'm done with my work, seems really fun

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Maneater vs Saints Row: the third remastered! The ultimate AA open world with absurd setups matchup! Hopefully can get both with a decent discount...

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since about 1030 this morning. Story is roughly 40 percent done last I checked.

Game is very very fun. Feels like an even better Jaws unleashed, with very basic shark action rpg elements. Story is decent but is definitely just a framework to fit around the sandbox gameplay.

Graphics, at least when it comes to the underwater portion of the game is fairly beautiful, I've just entered my 3rd area and each locale looks and feels different with differing wildlife.

Definitely felt worth 40 bucks to me, and if you have that coupon it definitely is worth it.