• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm not saying she's in the wrong. She's every bit in the right to demand she gets paid for the work she's done, even if she did jack shit and twiddled her thumbs all day but was still a lawful employee under Mandatory.com

Is it not okay to have an opinion over the fact that she could have handled the situation more efficiently, and achieved a better outcome for herself?

But nah, let's just all lose our heads and emotionally let out expletives in work-wide channels, go to Twitter instead of an employment lawyer once fired, and let's go tell those corporate cocksuckers what we really think about them. That'll show 'em
It's really not okay. It's also not okay to criticize protests for "not being strategic enough" since I'm guessing you were wondering.

Attempting to straddle the fence between an abuse of power and a victim doesn't make you smart. It makes you a coward.

Oct 25, 2017
"You are the one who comes out of this negatively"

DPHS.gif

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not okay. It's also not okay to criticize protests for "not being strategic enough" since I'm guessing you were wondering.

Attempting to straddle the fence between an abuse of power and a victim doesn't make you smart. It makes you a coward.

Wow. Just wow. Calling me a coward?

I'm done with this thread.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are confusing advice on how to function in a corrupt system with a defense of that corrupt system. If you want to tear it all down, brick by brick, more power to you. But I've gotta pay rent and have zero interest in putting a target on my back.

Like, I'm gonna advise against going down dark alleys in an unfamiliar neighborhoods with your new phone out, too. That doesn't mean I'm pro-mugging.
There's a critical flaw to your statement that is heartbreakingly obvious:

how're you gonna pay rent when you're not being paid any money in the first place

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
She was already working for free. What exactly did she lose here?

She was going to be paid in the near future. Now she won't be paid at all. If she was so hard up for money that missing one check ruins her life, what is missing 6 checks going to do?

She could have just looked for a new job while keeping the income that was going to come from the current job at some point. Not only did she lose her current job but now when future employers Google her name they will see this and be less inclined to hire her.

I'm not hiring anyone that is very likely to start dropping f bombs and blow a gasket publicly for the entire company to see if something goes wrong.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, this is why we don't let people set up Slack accounts. We have a hard enough time controlling careful communication w/ the few outlets we have. Their ediscovery process is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Remember, in this scenario, you also told those employees that paychecks didn't get cut due to holidays, and then changed your excuse the next week to say it's because the financial infrastructure hasn't been set up yet.

In this scenario you've also threatened the rest of the office with firings if they speak up as well.

Yeah, this doesn''t track. This is shit that happens when a company has cash flow problems.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was going to be paid in the near future. Now she won't be paid at all. If she was so hard up for money that missing one check ruins her life, what is missing 6 checks going to do?

She could have just looked for a new job while keeping the income that was going to come from the current job at some point. Not only did she lose her current job but now when future employers Google her name they will see this and be less inclined to hire her.

I'm not hiring anyone that is very likely to start dropping f bombs and blow a gasket publicly for the entire company to see if something goes wrong.

You know they still legally have to pay her ?

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Big ass civil suits take time and money. Years even. There's a reason corporations are against collective bargaining, class action, etc. They know them vs one person is much more easily defeated because that one person won't have the resources to challenge them. They also love stifling the free market because many forbid or heavily discourage open salary discussion among employees.
You what really sucks that goes unnoticed a lot. There database that employer's use to track people that have sued they're previous employers. That and they question that ask now adding if you've ever sued an employer as a filtering tool for applicants

Oct 27, 2017

And if you can't afford to pay your employees on time you shouldn't hire anyone period.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018

That's not how it works. She is entitled to earned wages even after being fired. Depending on your state law, it can take several days or a week.

But since the company withheld wages (missed a pay period), she has a case for immediate pay regardless of being terminated.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
Why are so many people cool with overlooking the fact that a company was messing with people's paychecks over decorum. I guess thanks for letting us know your willing to lick those boots no matter what.

Oct 27, 2017

This is some entitled bullshit.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The reasoning behind why the checks were late was "the financial team was moving offices" which is clearly bullshit.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If I knew there were going to be so many mental gymnastics going on in this thread I would have brought some score cards.

They legally have to pay her. They were withholding pay. She did nothing illegal. They did.

There's not much more to it really. I hope she sues and I hope that guy loses his job.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations. History of similar behavior
Why are so many people cool with overlooking the fact that a company was messing with people's paychecks over decorum. I guess thanks for letting us know your willing to lick those boots no matter what.
This is a forum full of gamers. Gamers have a hard time understanding and empathizing with nondigital entities whose bodies they can't occupy and control. Gamers tend to view other real people as NPCs - hollow, disposable, only existing to potentially enhance the gamer's own experience, forever at the mercy of their whimsy. They're conditioned from childhood to worship systems of control via highly immersive interactive abuse fantasies we innocuously called video games.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a forum full of gamers. Gamers have a hard time understanding and empathizing with nondigital entities whose bodies they can't occupy and control. Gamers tend to view other real people as NPCs - hollow, disposable, only existing to potentially enhance the gamer's own experience, forever at the mercy of their whimsy. They're conditioned from childhood to worship systems of control via highly immersive interactive abuse fantasies we innocuously called video games.

I feel like gaming side and here has less and less crossover as time goes on honestly.

Nov 1, 2017

Wow. What a horrible opinion to have. I would say it's the hottest of hot takes because it's sure as hell dehumanizing a lot of people.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen way worse than this in my company slack and people def weren't fired for it tbh

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
While the company was very negligent in not paying on time, is this normal for them? Or was this a one-off? I'm willing to forgive and give a little slack if they're a little behind once or twice but if this is consistent, I'd be looking for work elsewhere pretty quick.

When you're living paycheck to paycheck, you have to weigh out whether to piss off your boss and not get paid by losing that work or become aggressive and be snarky and demand what you're owed ASAP. I don't see how she wins if she sues for wrongful dismissal, sorry. I wish her the best and hope the employer is willing to settle. I hope she does great work because her name is now out there and I don't know what employer is willing to take on that potential headache in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying "unprofessional" or "go through the proper channels" has almost certainly never been in a situation where you are WORKING and not getting paid, but your BILLS are still DUE.

Give me a break, people.

You don't sound any different from shit heel conservatives telling BLM groups that they are "protesting the wrong way". Sometimes you HAVE TO MAKE NOISE to make shit happen.

Given the kind of site it is I would not be surprised if she's paid as a freelance contributor, a lot of "news" aggregators do this, in which case she has every right to yell

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
The company obviously did the wrong thing but there's no justification for being as beligerent as hell in a public forum like that.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The company obviously did the wrong thing but there's no justification for being as beligerent as hell in a public forum like that.

Ignoring the fact that a company's Slack channel is not a public forum, you realize he fired her (and the next person who complained) over the very same channel, and then threatened similar termination to anyone else that spoke up?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While the company was very negligent in not paying on time, is this normal for them? Or was this a one-off? I'm willing to forgive and give a little slack if they're a little behind once or twice but if this is consistent, I'd be looking for work elsewhere pretty quick.

They failed to pay last week, blamed it on the holiday, and then changed the excuse to say it was because the new office location didn't have its finance department ready yet.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Ignoring the fact that a company's Slack channel is not a public forum, you realize he fired her (and the next person who complained) over the very same channel, and then threatened similar termination to anyone else that spoke up?
Yeah, he fucked up too.

And I don't mean forum as in resetera. I mean public forum within the company, which is what it is. So yeah, you don't need to ignore anything.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Who rep
Pathetic responses in this thread blaming Donna.

Stop focusing on her and focus more on why that company isn't paying their employees. Frankly I think everybody should go on strike the moment they're not getting paid. No money, no work.

Not surprising, people here side with the Big Corporation with their boot on the worker's neck aaaalll the time on stuff like this. It's mind boggling

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Are we forgetting the fact that this person was fired over online communication instead of a formal meeting with HR or something to that regard? And some of us are still defending the boss?

Oct 25, 2017
I really worry th
Yeah, he fucked up too.

And I don't mean forum as in resetera. I mean public forum within the company, which is what it is. So yeah, you don't need to ignore anything.

A lot of slack channels operate as open forums, especially if the company is smaller. My last company routinely had big topics blasted out and discussed in some very "belligerent" manners. People need to feel free to discuss topics without the "oh be polite" shit hanging over their head. Especially when it comes to pay

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If you expect your staff to come to work on time, sacrifice lifetime to help your company grow less they be fired, they should expect for their pay to be on time with no excuses.

Dec 12, 2017
Mandatory.com sucks and I hope the VP goes down hard. At the same time, her going nuclear in a Slack chat isn't going to accomplish what exactly??

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
They failed to pay last week, blamed it on the holiday, and then changed the excuse to say it was because the new office location didn't have its finance department ready yet.
I consider that the same payday delayed twice. The company does sound sketchy and that VP is an idiot and should be fired/demoted for poorly representing the company by power tripping in an easily accessible forum like slack.
But I wonder how old the folks are acting like what Donna did is perfectly ok? My industry is small and burning bridges by mouthing off to your boss and getting fired will very likely blacklist me from the local industry. And with an impending recession, that's not a risk i'm willing to take personally unless I'm ready to switch careers. YMMV of course and everyone lives their lives differently.