• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a single employer that will keep anyone that threatens to call the regulators if they don't get what they want - nobody wants to deal with that. It's just simple business.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You don't understand what the fuck you're talking about, and it shows. Not surprising, most people aren't bootlickers because they genuinely believe in bootlicking, they just parrot some shit they heard once despite lacking a genuine understanding of the issue.

The company misses payroll. The employees are talking about this in Slack. One of the higher ups gets called out in Slack for their completely unprofessional behavior. The company could choose to ignore the callout, could say that no action is going to be taken unless the formal process is being followed, they had several options. But the one they explicitly didn't have is to fire an employee because they were talking about compensation issues in a company venue, which is the thing that you just cited and called a smart move.

There is a more insidious way this company could have handled things, a way in which they get to continue being evil but don't face the consequences of their actions. I'm not going to go over those because I don't want to give people ideas for how they can exploit loopholes in order to unethically abuse their employees within the stricture of the law. Thankfully for everyone involved, they were too stupid to pull that one off.
You're cute. I've been here and done this so I'm not speaking in hypotheticals and you can check where I added even more clarification for you. I mean shit do you even know what the penalty is for the violation , You don't because do you think the company if they are even found guilty cares about posting a notice for 60 days admitting guilt and reminding employee's of their rights? So yeah, it's a smart move. He gets to fire the employee and maybe even absolve the company of the miniscule penalty.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not only that but the amount they're paying their freelancers sounds lower than what she'd likely be able to get from court.

The real legal risk comes from this goon word-spewing bull shit on social media. I'll never understand how someone with the title of "VP" has so little awareness of how to protect the company from litigation. Don't. Say. Anything.
He's the founder of some third-bit Playstation blog that weaseled his way into a VP position.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
So you totally cut out my second response, "Come to me once you've cooled down, we can talk then." But yes, if someone is being purposely (and publicly) belligerent and argumentative to a company VP, who may not even know what the situation is, I wouldn't expect that person to remain employed there much longer.
I don't feel like people that haven't been paid for an extended period and need that money to survive should be looked down on for demanding an explanation.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a single employer that will keep anyone that threatens to call the regulators if they don't get what they want - nobody wants to deal with that. It's just simple business.

Remember, in this scenario, you also told those employees that paychecks didn't get cut due to holidays, and then changed your excuse the next week to say it's because the financial infrastructure hasn't been set up yet.

In this scenario you've also threatened the rest of the office with firings if they speak up as well.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
As an aside, why would a company-wide g-chat be a good idea? If you don't want people discussing things relevant to all employees in front of everyone, seems like a pretty unfortunate door to leave swinging open.

Oct 27, 2017
If she goes the small claims route she could probably get most if not all of her money owed. Of course that takes time and energy. The VP being a dumbass would probably make the court case easier too.
She'd be on the bottom of a list of creditors during bankruptcy. A freelancer will never be paid if the company decides not to pay. There is pretty much zero recourse unless you didn't rely on the money anyway.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I was fired for handing out paychecks when I was told to hold them back for 10 day's. They gave me permission to cash mine but not my techs.

I handed them out and gave them a break to go deposit or cash their checks.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Remember, in this scenario, you also told those employees that paychecks didn't get cut due to holidays, and then changed your excuse the next week to say it's because the financial infrastructure hasn't been set up yet.

In this scenario you've also threatened the rest of the office with firings if they speak up as well.

Anyone defending this company in this situation is a bootlicker. Please, keep showing your asses in this thread as corporate lackeys.

Oct 27, 2017
I was fired for handing out paychecks when I was told to hold them back for 10 day's. They e me permission to cash mine but not my techs.

giphy.gif

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I have been in this women's shoes before. I quit a job and my boss refused to pay because I wouldn't tell them who my new employer was. He threatened to sue me for signing an NDA and non compete clause. I no longer work in IT because of it and now fix medical equipment for a hospital. Long story short, tried to convince me that MD trade secret laws required me to tell him. Department of labor and threatening to seek further legal action got me paid.

You don't owe these people any professional courtesy, cause they are looking out for themselves. The only person looking out for you is you.

Nov 2, 2017
You're cute. I've been here and done this so I'm not soaking in hypotheticals and you can check where I added even more clarification for you. I mean shit do you even know what the penalty is for the bulletin. , You don't because do you think the company if they are even found guilty cares about posting a notice for 60 days admitting guilt and reminding employer's if their rights? So yeah, is a smart move. He gets to fire the employees and maybe even absolve the company of the miniscule penalty.

I appreciate you didn't even address the bootlicker comment, since this comment just makes it significantly more clear that you're explicitly anti-labor. (Well, that, or you're pulling some bullshit devil's advocate stuff that isn't meaningfully different in terms of you being an awful person.)

Also, the stuff about the bulletin applies to violating the law merely by having the policy. When you fuck up like this and use an illegal prohibition as grounds for a firing, the recourse for that goes beyond just having to post the bulletin. If you were actually experienced in these issues, you'd know better than that. But, again, you're lacking a real understanding of the issue and are just parroting words you never understood in the first place, so I shouldn't have expected anything better from you.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I was fired for handing out paychecks when I was told to hold them back for 10 day's. They e me permission to cash mine but not my techs.

You a real one. So many people will look away when it comes to making sure the employees that generate the profit in the first place get taken care of.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
She'd be on the bottom of a list of creditors during bankruptcy. A freelancer will never be paid if the company decides not to pay. There is pretty much zero recourse unless you didn't rely on the money anyway.
Of course we're assuming the company is near insolvent and will likely go belly up but yes she would get thrown on the creditors' list. So in the worst case, that's money lost no matter what the outcome. At which point I suppose you weigh any possible damage to your professional reputation giving the company the finger as you walk out the door.

States don't give unemployment to quitters, better to get fired, go through the hearing, and hope you get found as "not fired for cause" of a type which makes you ineligible.
Sounds like she's an independent contractor so I'm not sure how much protection she would get going that way as rules for firing/letting go of independent contractors is extremely loose. If she wanted to go that route, being aggressive publicly on the Slack was probably not the correct route to go as that could be constituted as cause.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, why would a company-wide g-chat be a good idea? If you don't want people discussing things relevant to all employees in front of everyone, seems like a pretty unfortunate door to leave swinging open.
High tech open door policy that you know damn well you will get clapped if you used it

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They are not getting paid MONEY the thing they are THERE TO DO. If that's not a reason to call regulators I don't know what is.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note I learned that not being payed is a small problem to some people and that there is a landlord somewhere that allows their tenants to be perpetually behind on rent.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
LOL the fucking corporate defense in this thread.

Company fails to pay employee.
ERA: But an employee said a mean thing though.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course we're assuming the company is near insolvent and will likely go belly up but yes she would get thrown on the creditors' list. So in the worst case, that's money lost no matter what the outcome. At which point I suppose you weigh any possible damage to your professional reputation giving the company the finger as you walk out the door.
I hope her writing skills can help her land on her feet. Regardless, she should take heart that her reputation, conviction and morals are seen by the majority as good.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If she goes the small claims route she could probably get most if not all of her money owed. Of course that takes time and energy. The VP being a dumbass would probably make the court case easier too.
You mean, she could win a claim. Won't help her get actual MONEY since she'd have to collect it and they clearly don't pay debts. But getting in line quickly before bankruptcy proceedings is still a good plan.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was a general statement and not in defense of this shit company. Nonetheless, both parties were wrong in this instance. I really don't give a shit about Mandatory.com.

They are not getting paid MONEY the thing they are THERE TO DO. If that's not a reason to call regulators I don't know what is.

I don't know if it was one day or a week. The response would be contingent on the delay.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note I learned that not being payed is a small problem to some people and that there is a landlord somewhere that allows their tenants to be perpetually behind on rent.
yeah, i'm now realizing that i should have asked for a rental application instead of laughing at him for saying her boss would have given her a bonus if she was nice about it

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... if you're defending this company and its beard scratching douchebag VP, you really should rethink your outlook on the world.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I appreciate you didn't even address the bootlicker comment, since this comment just makes it significantly more clear that you're explicitly anti-labor. (Well, that, or you're pulling some bullshit devil's advocate stuff that isn't meaningfully different in terms of you being an awful person.)

Also, the stuff about the bulletin applies to violating the law merely by having the policy. When you fuck up like this and use an illegal prohibition as grounds for a firing, the recourse for that goes beyond just having to post the bulletin. If you were actually experienced in these issues, you'd know better than that. But, again, you're lacking a real understanding of the issue and are just parroting words you never understood in the first place, so I shouldn't have expected anything better from you.
Why would I respond to name calling?

And all of those significant penalties you think are due would come only after a civil suit. NLRB doesn't have true power to assign monetary damages. That only happens after being found in content for billing an existing NLRB order.

You would know this if you had been through the process.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

"don't get what they want" - Just to be clear, what they 'want' is the fucking money that is owed to them.

Lick lick lick, how's that boot taste?

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing a lawyer saw that Twitter conversation and their eyes bugged out, lol.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know any company that isn't run by total incompetents that doesn't pay their employees without so much as an explanation. It's rotten and illegal.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"don't get what they want" - Just to be clear, what they 'want' is the fucking money that is owed to them.

Lick lick lick, how's that boot taste?

It was a general statement. And like I said, I don't know how long they haven't paid her for. Too many childish insults from you, Kemal86.

I don't know any company that isn't run by total incompetents that doesn't pay their employees without so much as an explanation. It's rotten and illegal.

Yes, covering payroll is the FIRST thing that should be done.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are two kinds of people:

1. People who know what it's like to call your bank and beg them to waive overdraft fees on a regular basis

2. People who think Anthony Severino was in any way in the right

When a creditor or a utility blows up your phone and you finally pick up and promise them you'll make a payment Friday because that's payday... then Friday comes and your company doesn't pay and by the following Wednesday they STILL haven't paid, and now they're telling you it'll be "mid next week"?

Fuck that guy. You wanna blame someone for not being polite enough when calling him out for this? And say she deserved to be fired on the spot for it?? When she's a creative freelancer and he's posing in tailored suits in all his avatar pics? If so... I dunno. I'll just say you're on the wrong side of this if you're on the company's side.

Last edited:

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic responses in this thread blaming Donna.

Stop focusing on her and focus more on why that company isn't paying their employees. Frankly I think everybody should go on strike the moment they're not getting paid. No money, no work.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She was "unprofessional" for some shithead standard of "professional".

They did something immoral and probably illegal.

Hope she takes their lunch.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And for what it's worth, advising professionalism isn't a defense of corporate overlords, it's common sense. It's not just or fair that companies can (and will) treat you like dirt, but making a big statement isn't going to hurt them as much as it's going to hurt you. Even if it's probably very satisfying.

1000 times this. It's frustrating to see people equate anything that's not "fuck mandatory.com!!" as "corporate bootlicking"

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was absolutely correct in asking in the company slack because it was a company issue, a labor issue that affected most(?) of the workers, and she now has witnesses and evidence to the behavior.

The company should have been more transparent with the circumstances around payment, it's not as if a missed or delayed paycheck couldn't entirely fuck up someone's living situation. No sympathy for management just because she decided to hold them accountable