• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
We need every penny for Sancho

giphy.gif

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
It a shitty move by Man Utd , it's just a excuse for additional DLC related to individual clubs especially going after the editor and mods. I bet they don't go after all unofficial stores selling half and half scared outside Old Toilet every match day.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I don't tend to get into too many football debates and also never use "our" when referring to my favorite team, but I also never understood the hate towards global fans especially when it comes to big name clubs like City and Utd.

Ya the hate is so fucking dumb. If you didn't have the global fans those clubs would most likely get relegated as they would not be able to bring in the revenue that they do if they only had supporters from the Manchester city limits. So dumb and I don't know why it is so prevalent with football. I think a lot of it too is that they may be projecting their own insecurities in that even though they might be a United or City supporter, they actually grew up in Bolton so they should really not be a supporter of either United or City.

Same thing happens here with International soccer where some fans get upset at the global diaspora who have blood from x country say you can't be x country supporters.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Ya the hate is so fucking dumb. If you didn't have the global fans those clubs would most likely get relegated as they would not be able to bring in the revenue that they do if they only had supporters from the Manchester city limits. So dumb and I don't know why it is so prevalent with football. I think a lot of it too is that they may be projecting their own insecurities in that even though they might be a United or City supporter, they actually grew up in Bolton so they should really not be a supporter of either United or City.

Same thing happens here with International soccer where some fans get upset at the global diaspora who have blood from x country say you can't be x country supporters.

100% agree.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

I've been following Chelsea for the past decade but I've never been to a game of theirs. I'm not going to pretend I'm just as much a fan as Harry Harrisson who lives half a mile from the stadium and grew up in the stands with his dad. I'm not involved with the club on a local level, I don't go to home or away games, I'm not a part of the community. Let's face it, I'm a plastic.

Back in Belgium I've been a season ticket holder of my local team for the past 20 years. Been to my fair share of community events, marches and protests. I've lost count of the amount of times our team nearly went bankrupt but was saved with help from the fans. Still remember freezing to death in a half empty stadium getting trashed by a pub team. Right now we've got supporter clubs delivering relief packages in the neighbourhood for the elderly. That's a different kind of engagement you've got there. The core of your fanbase is the local community and they are much more involved in the club than your international fanbase.

I don't have any particular dislike towards the global fanbase, hell I'm one of them when it comes down to Chelsea. If they're having a good time supporting their favourite team, all the best to them. What I do not like is that clubs are more and more turning their eyes to those international markets. La Liga wanting to hold games in the USA, the Italian Supercup being played in Saudi Arabia, discussions about a European Super League, that stuff makes my heart bleed and makes me afraid for the future of grassroots football.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following Chelsea for the past decade but I've never been to a game of theirs. I'm not going to pretend I'm just as much a fan as Harry Harrisson who lives half a mile from the stadium and grew up in the stands with his dad. I'm not involved with the club on a local level, I don't go to home or away games, I'm not a part of the community. Let's face it, I'm a plastic.

Back in Belgium I've been a season ticket holder of my local team for the past 20 years. Been to my fair share of community events, marches and protests. I've lost count of the amount of times our team nearly went bankrupt but was saved with help from the fans. Still remember freezing to death in a half empty stadium getting trashed by a pub team. Right now we've got supporter clubs delivering relief packages in the neighbourhood for the elderly. That's a different kind of engagement you've got there. The core of your fanbase is the local community and they are much more involved in the club than your international fanbase.

I don't have any particular dislike towards the global fanbase, hell I'm one of them when it comes down to Chelsea. If they're having a good time supporting their favourite team, all the best to them. What I do not like is that clubs are more and more turning their eyes to those international markets. La Liga wanting to hold games in the USA, the Italian Supercup being played in Saudi Arabia, discussions about a European Super League, that stuff makes my heart bleed and makes me afraid for the future of grassroots football.

But fans like Harry Harrisson have to understand that the reason they have had success is because of the outside fan. If you begin limiting to neighborhoods then really there are only a handful of fans for each team.

The local fan is going to have a more unique experience then we ever can, but local supporters don't have to look down on others due to being born in a country that does not have a local football club culture. And if we go by your Chelsea example, where is the border for being allowed to be a Chelsea supporter versus you being a Fulham supporter. You can always go deeper and deeper into your gatekeeping and all you will be left with is just a handful of fans that are pure.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
But fans like Harry Harrisson have to understand that the reason they have had success is because of the outside fan. If you begin limiting to neighborhoods then really there are only a handful of fans for each team.

The local fan is going to have a more unique experience then we ever can, but local supporters don't have to look down on others due to being born in a country that does not have a local football club culture. And if we go by your Chelsea example, where is the border for being allowed to be a Chelsea supporter versus you being a Fulham supporter. You can always go deeper and deeper into your gatekeeping and all you will be left with is just a handful of fans that are pure.
I think it's a matter of recognizing what makes football special. Is it making as much money as possible? Having loads of viewers on Sky Sports or likes on Facebook? Watching the Bundesliga last week made it clear to me what the most important thing in football is. So seeing clubs move their sights away from that towards the global market is rather frustrating.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a matter of recognizing what makes football special. Is it making as much money as possible? Having loads of viewers on Sky Sports or likes on Facebook? Watching the Bundesliga last week made it clear to me what the most important thing in football is. So seeing clubs move their sights away from that towards the global market is rather frustrating.

I can understand that thinking as I would most likely also loved to have a viable neighborhood club that extends only to my specific neighborhood. But that would require a complete abandonment of a tv product. Chelsea will be fine regardless but for teams in lower divisions, I truly feel sad for if they can't survive in this market.

Oct 25, 2017
The name itself is almost a non issue, they'll just change it to Man Red, or something. But if this messes with the editor, it might be a huge blow and people might stick with older itenerations of the game and just update it yearly.
Wouldnt people just release quick mods ,I remember back in the day downloading logo a kit packs

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
They have no leg to stand on with complaining about modders putting in the real logos based on what they're claiming. Neither Sega nor Sports Interactive have ever "promoted" these patches in any way, shape or form.

It's been more than a few years since I last played, but this simply is not true. They used to produce a small patch that changed a bunch of names (German and/or Dutch if I recall) to get around various liscensing issues. Their staff would actively promote it via their community forums, and mention it in set up guides, etc.....

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I think it's relevant.

Man United and Sega have solved this, the only change will be that "Manchester United" will be called "Manchester UFC" from FM 2022 onwards. Nothing the classic mods won't solve on day one.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I think it's relevant.

Man United and Sega have solved this, the only change will be that "Manchester United" will be called "Manchester UFC" from FM 2022 onwards. Nothing the classic mods won't solve on day one.

Nice. Dealing with the important stuff rather than ensuring we have Sancho and Varane ready to start against Leeds.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Imagine complaining about using your name and at the same time complaining about not using the real logo. Or do they want them to use the logo so they can sue them over that too?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the issue with the name but going for the modding community…fuck them.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
"give us money!"
"okay, how much?"
"we want a zillion."
"thats too much, how about a million?"
"lawsuit!!"

how i imagine it went

Deleted member 10014

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 11, 2021
I love footy manager. And I think the disgusting glazers are showing their true colours again.

I mean sports interactive deliberately do not use logos to avoid infringing trademarks.

And you can't hold them responsible for mods

Dec 31, 2017
Virginia
Football Manager Blitz next?

Sucks how automaker licenses are the easiest to use in the industry and, usually, dont aggressive stock people if people refer to them in games. Well, maybe not the European auto makers, but the American and Japanese ones.