• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.wptv.com

Jupiter man skeptical of coronavirus gets infected, changes opinion

A Jupiter man, who admits he was skeptical that the coronavirus was a real threat, has a new outlook after contracting the virus.

Around this time last month, Jupiter rideshare driver Brian Hitchens was a self-proclaimed COVID-19 skeptic.

"I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us," said Hitchens.

He made Facebook posts downplaying the seriousness and sticking to his faith, saying God is bigger than this virus will ever be.
"I'd get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I'd just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria," Hitchens explained.

Fast forward to this week and Hitchens has a whole new outlook from his hospital bed at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center as a coronavirus-positive patient.

"I don't want to see anyone go through what I went through," Hitchens said.

He recently took to social media about his experience, now encouraging people to take the virus seriously.

"This wasn't some scare tactic that anybody was using. It wasn't some made-up thing. This was a real virus you gotta take seriously," Hitchens said.

This hits even closer to home for Hitchens after his wife was admitted to the same hospital at the same time for coronavirus.

"My wife's on a ventilator. It's been like that for three weeks, and it's tough. It's sad," said Hitchens.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
My favorite part of the bible is when Jesus clowns on people for wearing gloves and masks over fake news

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but folks who are super deep into the conspiracy will just believe the government made him sick.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's going to spend the next year getting harassed by the conspiracy community he was once a part of for being a "crisis actor."

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Do none of these Christian fuckers remember Passover? Which was celebrated shortly after this virus started popping off in the USA? There's a lesson there about not being complacent and remaining humble.

Just goes to show that too many people think their gumption is an acceptable substitute for research and expertise.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Do none of these Christian fuckers remember Passover? Which was celebrated shortly after this virus started popping of in the USA? There's a lesson there about not being complacent and remaining humble.

Just goes to show that too many people think their gumption is an acceptable substitute for research and expertise.

The vast majority of these dipshits know nothing about their bible except for what their Pastor tells them.

They're clueless idiots who are incapable of thinking for themselves, which is why people like Kenneth Copeland and Joel Olstein are able to swindle them for buttloads of cash.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looking at the size of the guy he is one of the most likely to get complications from the virus so i really hope his other friends and family take the virus seriously from now on.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
He brought that nasty shit on himself, but this is a sad story. Cant imagine the worry he must have for his wife.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The vast majority of these dipshits know nothing about their bible except for what their Pastor tells them.

They're clueless idiots who are incapable of thinking for themselves, which is why people like Kenneth Copeland and Joel Olstein are able to swindle them for buttloads of cash.
Oh right, they only care about the specific lines they can take out of context to rationalize their bigotry.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why these people always assume that God providing people with opportunities to protect themselves somehow isn't God protecting them.

God be like "dude, I told y'all to invent masks"

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. Not even a former member can make a difference to those people. They don't care.
Just what I was thinking while I was reading the story. All the people he was enabling, all the FB groups and friends he was having a lark with praising Trump and demonizing Fauci, Obama, Dems etc. All of 'em are going to make him an enemy. It'll be a giant mirror being held up to show him the kind of man he was and the dangerous bs he was part of. These people also often intersect with white supremacy, climate denial and anti-minority sentiments and conspiracies so I just hope that this is enough of a shock to the system that if he was heavily into that community and those ideals as well, he'll hopefully do a 180 there too.

I don't understand why these people always assume that God providing people with opportunities to protect themselves somehow isn't God protecting them.

God be like "dude, I told y'all to invent masks"
Well evolutionary biology & human environmental impact are major parts of modern scientific theory so they just throw the baby out with the bathwater. They deny the parts of science that don't align with the bible and just reject everything else including medical science like vaccinations and disease prevention strategies to just make it easier on themselves. As so many have referenced these days, they just stick with the magical thinking route of trusting only in the bible and nothing else because it's simpler. It doesn't require thought, self-critique, adjusting of your behavior, and depending on who's preaching to you, you don't even have to be empathetic to anyone beyond the 4 walls of your church either.

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time feeling bad for people like this if only because damn near every infected person spreads it unknowingly before symptoms kick in. If you take every precaution you can, then so be it, it's inevitable that many of us will catch it no matter what we do when it's all said and done. But if you're not taking the proper precautions, your negligence is directly causing more around you to suffer and die than what would happen otherwise.

But the more stories like this out there, the better. At least it can do some good if it convinces even just a few people to take this more seriously.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't people consider that their Gods may be using their divine interventions in the form of doctors and scientists?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
He thought the government was trying something.....like, what? What were they trying? Is he missing the fact that that cunt Trump is currently melting down because of the effect on the economy? Has he missed the daily reminders of how many had died? Has he not seen any stories from outside the US showing the depth of suffering in countries like Italy?
How do these fuckers function while being THAT ignorant? Why is their first thought that it must be bullshit? Hysteria? Stick it up your arse you fucking moron. All these "nobody tells me what to do" chucklefucks have been pissing me off since this whole thing started. A bunch of moronic, entitled, childish, tantruming, petulant assholes- all without the brains they were born with. Sick of the lot of them.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Guys c'mon he's a dem plant pretending he got corona. Don't be fooled

/S

Glad he's doing better and seeing the error of his ways

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
It's at least refreshing to hear someone not double down on something insanely stupid even after it blows up in their face.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you're religious and you believe God will protect you. Yeah, he did protect you. He gave you the common sense to be smart and protect yourself.
I'm not religious, but that was the logic of a religious friend. I wish more felt that way.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games win stupid prizes is a tenet that is often repeated in the bible in much more eloquent terms, but grasping that concept would require actually reading it, something that is hard for people to do apparently.

Oct 28, 2017
So he thought the government in 184 countries were just trying something? What a sweet summer child. His poor wife.