• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018

You may have heard that a man on board a flight to Jamaica Monday forced the plane to return to Toronto because he "joked" about having the coronavirus.

And you may have thought to yourself, why the hell would he do that? What led James Potok to screw up the vacations of hundreds of people on board, and scare the shit of everyone in the process?

Well, the wait for an explanation is over, and it's dumber than any of us could have imagined.

In an interview with Global News, Potok, 28, said he stood up and announced to his fellow passengers that he'd just been to Hunan Province—the epicentre of the coronavirus—and wasn't feeling well (LO FUCKING L, James) because he's "an artist."

As per infectious disease protocol, WestJet flight 2702 was forced to return to Toronto International Airport, derailing vacation plans for the 243 people on board. WestJet had to cancel two flights because of the incident, and added an additional trip to Montego Bay on Tuesday. A spokesperson with the airline apologized to passengers.

But it turns out it's not the first time Trickster Potok Philippe videotaped himself messing with a plane full of people.

He said he travels to Jamaica about five times per year, and once stood up in front of passengers—phone in hand—and asked for everyone's attention.

"Lil' Wayne's album just dropped, can you go get it?" he asked everyone on the plane.

Dank meme me if old.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
I know he apologized, but honestly I hate his mentality and hope he gets a large fine for this, people already have fear, to add on more fear and anxiety.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Potok excitedly hinted his next big act will be shouting fire in a crowded theater.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Joey Salads didn't do this. You know, the YouTuber who peed in his own mouth as a prank bro.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
how did you leave out the best part

Perhaps the best part of Potok's Global interview was when his dad interrupted. A flustered Potok presumably looks at his father and explains that the news crew just knocked on his door.

"Is that your dad?" the reporter asked.

"Yes," Potok said, deadpan.

Nov 11, 2017
Every once in a while I think, we should bring back Roman coliseum-style justice. Just for these sort of special cases

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Surely that has to be worth a month or two in jail? Pretending you're infected as part of a pandemic that has no ideal treatment, for internet brownie points, should be punished.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"There are all sorts of positions: people that are happy, people that are upset," Potok said. (What? Who the hell is happy?) "In the end, I ruined the people-on-the-plane's trip, so I'm extremely apologetic."
Perhaps the best part of Potok's Global interview was when his dad interrupted. A flustered Potok presumably looks at his father and explains that the news crew just knocked on his door.

lol

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"There are all sorts of positions: people that are happy, people that are upset," Potok said. (What? Who the hell is happy?) "In the end, I ruined the people-on-the-plane's trip, so I'm extremely apologetic."

lol

brilliant.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
What a dumbass.

He said he travels to Jamaica about five times per year, and once stood up in front of passengers—phone in hand—and asked for everyone's attention.

"Lil' Wayne's album just dropped, can you go get it?" he asked everyone on the plane.

How do you not feel complete embarrassment after doing this?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ban him from flying, charge him the tens of thousands of dollars he cost the airline in delays, rebookings, etc, and put his ass in jail for a few months with hundreds of hours of community service afterwards.

Make an example of him. The quest for virality escalates and people these days are fucking stupid.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't you on a no-fly list if you've done this before?

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
They should make him pay for everyone's tickets + the fuel costs and the flight crews pay for that flight, as a lesson and deterrent

What a jackass

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Lil Wayne just dropped another album, he probably should have gone with that one again.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They should charge him for every seat on that plane and dump his name on the no fly list.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see this person barred from flights.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
How do you not feel complete embarrassment after doing this?
Narcissism. As long as it's about him, how it's about him doesn't matter.

The real problem is that this kind of behavior is rewarded. He's a douchebag either way, but he wouldn't have pulled this particular stunt if he didn't think it would go viral. So of course he gets an article about him, and threads about the article.