• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

The sentence means a felony charge of willful injury resulting in bodily injury against Stepanek will be dismissed and expunged, as long as he does not commit a crime during a three-year term of probation. Judge Paul Miller also suspended a $1,025 civil fine.

Offenders who commit "forcible felonies" are not eligible for deferred judgments, but the charge to which Stepanek pleaded is not considered one under Iowa law. He was also eligible for the break because he did not have a criminal history.

Stepanek's attorney John Bruzek said his client was influenced by social media and political rhetoric characterizing the protesters as dangerous criminals. Stepanek initially believed he was legally justified but has come to see he was wrong and apologized, Bruzek said.

"Michael understands how his conduct could have resulted in a much more serious and harmful situation," he said.

The Johnson County Attorney's Office, which agreed to Stepanek's plea deal, could face accusations of double standards as it continues to pursue charges against some Black Lives Matter protesters involved in the demonstrations last summer.

The Double Standard

Prosecutors are pursuing 15 counts, including nine felonies, against a protest leader charged with shining a laser beam light in police officers' eyes in August.

A 20-year-old Black protester who carried an assault rifle through an Iowa City crowd in June has been indicted on a federal charge of illegally possessing a gun while using marijuana. The man, who faces up to 10 years in prison, had already been prosecuted by Johnson County on related charges after the gun was found during a traffic stop following the protest.

Separately in Des Moines, prosecutors are pursuing felony leak charges against two protesters accused of stealing an intelligence bulletin from an officer and giving it to a television reporter.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
🤦‍♀️ Jesus fucking christ

OK streets/internet, do your thing. I'm not lookin

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
2oanbdx.gif

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
fucking white people get away with literal attempted manslaughter and I'm not even surprised

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Remember people. The GOP led by Mitch McConnell packed the courts with racist white nationalistic judges.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely shameful and disgusting. It's embarrassing to be a part of this country at this point.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't say, but I assume they reached this plea deal after what happened on the 6th? Of course it doesn't matter, before or after, this is beyond gross.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This video is such a good breakdown of this recurring tragedy & abortion of justice:

A judge last month granted a deferred judgment for Michael Ray Stepanek, 45, who told police he drove his Toyota Camry through the crowd in August because the protesters needed "an attitude adjustment."

This is the type of shit that makes me violently sick & angry. He wasn't in danger, being threatened, being attacked; he was barely fucking being inconvenienced. Yet he and the justice system seem to think that using your vehicle to slaughter people is appropriate for just publicly not acting in accordance to how some random bigot believes you should. It's all fine to potentially & sometimes successfully kill, paralyze or harm someone whose "attitude" is displeasing as long as you're white. Dude could have driven away and never had to see those protesters for the rest of his life but he just decided on a fucking whim that the day they crossed his path was the day they deserved to die or have their lives ruined.

This shit is why I have zero patience for anyone who thinks they can tell black and brown people the appropriate way to stop being dehumanized. This is the shit America needs to fucking work on & have an essential reckoning with and not the language or behavior of black activists or their allies. This is the fucking cancer at the heart of this country yet these stories are a dime a dozen and dissolve into the ether as quickly as they appear.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
It's honestly stuff like this which will deter me from ever moving to the US for work. It doesn't matter who the President is. The justice system is 100% fucked if you're a minority. End of story.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Biden admin can't do anything about this right? I know they got billion things to fix but I believe that a lot of these charges in some of these cases against white men are biased based on the current admin and the people at the top. (Racist white men)

Like there is no justice in most of these type of cases yet black men and women get killed or jailed for the slightest shit like being alive. Bullshit.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is also a product of economic inequality. find a good lawyer and this can happen to you

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'm not going to hold my breath but hopefully the Justice Dept will step in and look at the inequity that exists between the cases posted in the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
FTR, Johnson county is one of the most liberal counties in Iowa and the County Attorney is a progressive signalling Democrat. Not that that excuses this outcome.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Criminal: "Yeah I did it.... because they deserved it!!!"

Judge: "Well, that's that.... I guess you're free to go. Just don't do it again"

Criminal: drives over BLM protestor on the way out

Judge: "Dammit Ray!!!.... well, don't do it again"

Criminal: "Ok!!!!" drives off

Hopefully this can be appealed to a higher court with some sense, and then this judge can have his record of judgement investigated.
I wouldn't be surprised there are more than a few minor offenses with questionable evidence towards POC that saw unreasonable punishment. Especially in comparison to this bullshit.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
But Biden said this isn't America. Yet dozens of BLM peaceful protesters have gotten actual prison sentences.

Oct 27, 2017
As ridiculous as it was inevitable. Fuck every single part of the system that allows for this to be a reality.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
How. the. fuck. Anyone and everyone involved in this decision need to be investigated and their careers removed.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
so you 'don't' go to prison in america for attempted murder?

sorry... listen to me... start again; you don't go to prison in america for being a nazi who brags about the attempted murder they committed ?

Oct 25, 2017
Reading more about the two cases, it seems the apparent disparity in treatment is because the cases are on different schedules.

This Michael Stepanek asshole was facing up to 20 years (by the way most media outlets calculate these things since both of the charges he was indicted under are Class C felonies, which is up to 10 years a piece and could have been order to run consecutively) and his case was in state court.

The black protester's (who I won't name) case is in federal court and is moving a little slower. The charge he was indicted under also carries a term up to 10 years, although federal charges are usually prosecuted much more aggressively. That said, the US Attorney on it seems to be allowing his motions to amend the conditions of his release, "facing X years..." headlines often misrepresent what the defendant is likely to get, and the protestor will likely be able to make a plea bargain himself.