• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
somerealshithere4pj94.jpg

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
To be fair to Moore he's actively had his most popular creation taken from him by DC and that probably doesn't engender positive feelings towards cape comics.

Ennis is just "I hate superheroes" and then spent the rest of his life writing superhero comics.
I'd better go burn my copies of 2000 AD, War Stories, Preacher, Crisis, Hellblazer and Battlefields since they are all lousy superhero stories

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Millar is the Family Dollar Garth Ennis, c'mon

Like Ennis has written at least one good comic book.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Reading wanted gave me a headache from like page 1. The homie quite literally made a comic book of Eminem and Halle Berry killing people and cursing with no recognizable plot to speak of.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading wanted gave me a headache from like page 1. The homie quite literally made a comic book of Eminem and Halle Berry killing people and cursing with no recognizable plot to speak of.

I think a world secretly controlled by supervillains who ganged up and killed all the heroes then rewrote reality so they never existed acting as a metaphor for our inability to just accept these lighthearted fantasy characters for what they are, so now all that's left is ugly, pubescent testosterone laden posturing of dumb action scenes acted out by the most unlikable people in the universe and it's all a big joke at the expense of the reader, that's an interesting way to take a superhero story. It's the ultimate male jerkoff power fantasy where a boring whiny dick who thinks the world owes him success proceeds to fuck and kill his way to global supremacy because his dad was Deathstroke.

Like that scene where the one evil doctor dude reveals his secret shrine that has what is blatantly Superman's tattered cape is kind of amazing no matter what.

The problem of course is that Mark Millar has spent nigh his entire career writing those exact kind of books so a satire of them doesn't really work, like it is entirely possible if not likely that I am giving someone like Mark Millar way too much credit, and also he's an incompetent boob who keeps tripping ass first into movie deals.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized I was gonna give Ennis a couple bits of kudos before realizing I got him confused with Warren Ellis.

Man what the fuck happened that so many Brits wanna rip the shit out of superheroes. XD

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I was gonna give Ennis a couple bits of kudos before realizing I got him confused with Warren Ellis.

Man what the fuck happened that so many Brits wanna rip the shit out of superheroes. XD
Ennis' best stuff has nothing to do with superheroes. I'll take Sara, Battlefields and War Stories over any of his capes stuff. With that said, I still quite liked a lot of his takes on Punisher and Fury (Born, for example) as well as Hitman.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Ennis wrote the greatest Hellblazer story of all time, so I'm in.

Unlike other superheroes, I think Ennis does have some respect for Batman, as in the past he's talked about how The Dark Knight Returns was the first American comic that he actually enjoyed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that Batman is in good hands.
Name of the story

Also wasn't Ennis in some controversy recently ? Wait or was it warren Ellis ?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this would be an Alan Moore thread.

😄 Me too!

Ellis was outed as a pervert around mid last year.

Uh, that's not right. A lot of women - 60ish, I think? - outed him as a sexual predator who coerced and manipulated them into having sex with him or sending pictures etc.

The TPB is Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing. It's magnificent. Edit: Oh shit, sorry; it is Dangerous Habits. D'oh.

Last edited:

Qasiel

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
I like Batman and I really like Ennis' run on Hellblazer, so colour me interested.

I also thought it'd be about Moore upon entering, though.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't buy that Ennis doesn't like cape comics. I mean look at The Boys, oozing with references. He may say he doesn't like it but deep inside he loves them.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
It's alright to say I wasn't a fan of The Boys, yes? Because I tried reading it, and I just couldn't give a shit.