• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I love this effect.
I'm loving the low poly / warping texture PS1 nostalgia aesthetic that is creeping into the indie scene, and i hope it keeps ramping up

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not only do I find this dope and introduced a kind of moving world, the way it enhanced every game that even slightly had codes from the horror genre makes it great and not as bad as I would consider.

Try playing Vagrant Story with the texture correction. It looks like a blocky mess. Play it on original hardware and it is a gorgeous, living world despite being a necropolis

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, Ape Escape was such a good game, I ought to go back to it someitme and see it through to the end. (Not sure about the PS2 sequels though?)

Doesn't bother me in the least. I think a related phenom is I'm playing Shadow Tower right now and its polygonal walls constantly shimmer wtih black speckly outlines (glimpses into the outer void, I'd assume) showing they're made up of squares. I dunno though, I'm not bothered. It's not like I'm playing a 20-year-old, first-gen 3D From Software game for well-executed visuals, y'know?

Related, I'm a stickler on framerate for modern games and while 60+ is still best, I'm more tolerant of lower fps in most 32-bit stuff, within reason. Maybe the lower res makes it less jarring to me.

The notion that some in this thread are sharing about texture warping imparting a sense of "life" is really interesting, something I'd never considered.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I loved my PS1, but going from the PS1 to Dreamcast was eye opening. That image quality upgrade.

I always found the warping really ugly.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was PSX's hardware Achilles' heel and the major reason why 3D graphics on it never clicked on me. Games like Super Mario 64, OOT, Banjo-Kazooie, etc., would never be made on the PSX hardware with the same graphical fidelity. In order to hide PSX's hardware limitations, devs constantly relied on pre-rendered backgrounds and limited ranged spaces. Games like Tomb Raider, Medal of Honor, Driver and Syphon Filter aged horribly in this aspect, even back in the day they were rough.

Oct 25, 2017
Every console of the early to mid '90s had to make major compromises in order to manage to produce 3d graphics. The Playstation released at just the right time to get a very good balance between power and performance on the one hand, and price on the other. Unfortunately for a Sony hater like me, nobody else managed it nearly as well -- the N64 released later and certainly has much better graphics than Playstation but also has a few compromises with its texture resolutions and framerates; the Saturn theoretically matches or beat the PS1, but between its much higher price and horribly difficult programming usually falls behind Sony; the 3DO at its best can match early PS1 graphics, but released too early to hold up to its better-looking games; the Jaguar could have been good if its hardware wasn't a buggy mess but it is, and it'd be much less powerful regardless due to its earlier release date (though I think its being bad at textures has helped its games age better for sure! Flat shading doesn't get as dated as mid '90s textures.); the PC-FX has fantastic video playback, better than any of the above apparently, but can't do 3d at all and failed miserably as a result; and the other systems are minor.

So yes, PS1 3d absolutely can be hard to go back to, as the polygons warp all over the place and those horribly pixelated textures and jagged, aliased edges hurt my eyes, but every system of the era had major compromises of some kind of another; hardware was not advanced enough yet to do the flaw-free, high framerate 3d you see in the 6th-generation consoles, and that is part of what makes 5th-gen 3d so interesting... what did people need to do on each format to make 3d games? What were the compromises, and what subjectively do I think works better or worse, between the approaches? And such.

Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Philips CD-i and the like are all much worse in this regard.

What I'm saying, though, is that there are loads of gorgeous 2D games on PlayStation - some of the best pixel art ever created exists on that platform. It's gorgeous.

There's plenty of great looking 3D games too, though - fighting games, shmups and the like all hold up really well and tend to run at 60fps.

You look back at the 3DO or something and the average frame-rate is like 12fps and there are literally two games that run at 60 on that machine. I love 3DO but it's aged much worse.

The issues with PS1 tend to become evident when you have a 3D camera that moves in close proximity to a surface. If the camera is close to a surface, the affine warping becomes super apparent and it looks awful.
Purely looking at texture warping, the 3DO isn't as bad as the PS1 because, like the Saturn, it uses quads instead of triangles, and quads have much less noticeable warping than triangles.

That said, in terms of graphics, certainly the 3DO does not match up to the PS1 -- 3DO graphics at their best match early PS1 graphics, which is well off from the system's peak. But the later, best-looking 3DO games manage to look decent for the time -- Star Fighter, Blade Force, and such. The 3DO is also not great at FMV playback, with relatively low-quality video compared to later consoles, or the CD-i before it -- compare 3DO vs. CD-i Dragon's Lair, it's not even close. There are things to like about the 3DO to be sure though, visually, Star Fighter looks great...

As for the Jaguar, I got a Jag last year and disagree on that one, its mostly flat-shaded polygons have aged quite well! Sure, the framerates in 3d games are often atrocious so if that's what you mean I agree, but those super-pixelated PS1 polygons, something I've always disliked the look of, are not an issue on Jaguar most of the time because most 3d Jag games don't use textures. I don't know, I like the look of games like Iron Soldier and I-War. Club Drive is quite charming as well. And the Jag, when programmed well, can handle better framerates in 2d games than the 3DO -- compare Jag Rayman to 3DO Gex. (Yes, I know Jag Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure runs badly because of how horribly buggy the Jag hardware is, presumably, but the system can do better...)

As for the CD-i, I got one of those last year too and what it does well it does VERY well -- when it comes to video playback, I don't think there is any doubt that the CD-i, with its digital video cart addon, is the best by far of all consoles released before 1994, and it matches or beats most of the consoles of '94 as well; only the PC-FX definitely matches it, though the PS1 got there eventually and the Saturn can with the digital video cart. For those "images with music or voice description" discs, video-heavy games, and the like, the system shows off how much better it is than a Sega CD or Turbo CD. Certainly, when it comes to animating a platformer game or such it struggles since the hardware was not designed to do that well, but hating on the CD-i seriously undersells how impressive its video playback was for the time. The video in CD-i games holds up far, far better than video in its contemporary systems like the SCD.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Man it was gross, I was glad to be out of that generation tbh. The fog plagued the n64 and the choppy/jumpy/warpy Playstation shit was a nightmare to look at.

Jesus Christ.

I was one of those annoying people that was like "Look.... outside of like Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Tobal 2, lets just go the fuck back to 2D until next gen".

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Purely looking at texture warping, the 3DO isn't as bad as the PS1 because, like the Saturn, it uses quads instead of triangles, and quads have much less noticeable warping than triangles.

That said, in terms of graphics, certainly the 3DO does not match up to the PS1 -- 3DO graphics at their best match early PS1 graphics, which is well off from the system's peak. But the later, best-looking 3DO games manage to look decent for the time -- Star Fighter, Blade Force, and such. The 3DO is also not great at FMV playback, with relatively low-quality video compared to later consoles, or the CD-i before it -- compare 3DO vs. CD-i Dragon's Lair, it's not even close. There are things to like about the 3DO to be sure though, visually, Star Fighter looks great...

As for the Jaguar, I got a Jag last year and disagree on that one, its mostly flat-shaded polygons have aged quite well! Sure, the framerates in 3d games are often atrocious so if that's what you mean I agree, but those super-pixelated PS1 polygons, something I've always disliked the look of, are not an issue on Jaguar most of the time because most 3d Jag games don't use textures. I don't know, I like the look of games like Iron Soldier and I-War. Club Drive is quite charming as well. And the Jag, when programmed well, can handle better framerates in 2d games than the 3DO -- compare Jag Rayman to 3DO Gex. (Yes, I know Jag Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure runs badly because of how horribly buggy the Jag hardware is, presumably, but the system can do better...)

As for the CD-i, I got one of those last year too and what it does well it does VERY well -- when it comes to video playback, I don't think there is any doubt that the CD-i, with its digital video cart addon, is the best by far of all consoles released before 1994, and it matches or beats most of the consoles of '94 as well; only the PC-FX definitely matches it, though the PS1 got there eventually and the Saturn can with the digital video cart. For those "images with music or voice description" discs, video-heavy games, and the like, the system shows off how much better it is than a Sega CD or Turbo CD. Certainly, when it comes to animating a platformer game or such it struggles since the hardware was not designed to do that well, but hating on the CD-i seriously undersells how impressive its video playback was for the time. The video in CD-i games holds up far, far better than video in its contemporary systems like the SCD.
Again, though, I was looking at consoles as a whole not specific features.

The issue with Jag and 3DO is that most games run at abysmal frame-rates - often single digits. The flat shaded Jag stuff is not bad looking, I agree, but when it runs at 5 fps, does it matter? No. It's not playable.

The thing is - all of these machines have some games that look and play great. I would never say an entire machine has 'aged horribly' - I'm just considering the number of titles that hold up. There's a *LOT* on PS1 that remain beautiful to this day - but they're mostly 2D games or distant 3D games running at 60fps.

The Jag handles 2D MUCH better than 3DO, I agree, but it has very few 2D games in general and only some of them run well. Also, in the case of Rayman, it's missing a ton of parallax scrolling that is present on PS1, Saturn and PC.

I only mention CD-i in that there are very few playable games on the system and most attempts at non-FMV games run very VERY slowly.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Back in the day it never really bothered me that much. I think - possibly thanks to a lack of forums like this one - we were much less prone to nit-pick back then. Yes games had flaws, you can pull part the original Tomb Raider for all kinds of technical issues, but most people I knew who played the game were wowed by it more than any other reaction.

Today we have folks looking at the locked 30fps of Forza Horizon in 4K saying stuff like "literally unplayable" and it makes me laugh.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Love love love this effect :)!!
Doesn't know why people say this looks bad, I think it has some characters, or I played so much PS1 games that is texture warping dissapeared I would get crazy.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Man it was gross, I was glad to be out of that generation.

I was one of those annoying people that was like "Look.... outside of like Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Tobal 2, lets just go the fuck back to 2D until next gen".

I know for me there were moments where I had a strong lamenting for the quick demise of the 16 bit gen given how few decent 3D offerings there were. I knew the technology just wasn't there yet.

The 2D Playstation games filled the void well enough as did those that did not rely heavily on 3D backgrounds.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't really care. It was 3D. Ridge racer at home, baby. Warping what?

I did prefer N64 because it had more fancy graphics stuff I was interested in at the time (because of PC 3D accelerators).

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I love this shit. Sure, some of it is nostalgia but I loved the effect. RE spiders were enhanced by it.
resident-evil-2-spiders.gif
Maybe it's just my small phone screen, but I don't see it here. RE2 is actually pretty stable.

Front mission 3 on the other hand...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I went with N64 as a kid because of this. I didn't understand why people always talked about PlayStation when N64 had much better graphics.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Oh, I see. The lack of sub pixel precision was a different problem.

I still prefer PS1 to the N64 despite growing up with the latter, not the former.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly 3D was such a revelation at the time I didn't really notice it. By the tail end of the generation when I had a gaming PC I could definitely tell though.

That said over RGB or component on a CRT I love the way PS1 games look. I find the dithered quivering waterbed mess quite charming.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's just my small phone screen, but I don't see it here. RE2 is actually pretty stable.

Front mission 3 on the other hand...
Image background and small fast moving polygons make lack of subpixel precision and perspective correct texturing harder to see.

Front Mission 3 had clear grid of polygons filling the screen and when camera moved limitations were quite noticeable.
Happily camera was not in constant slow movement and game was amazing.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I mainly noticed this in the PS version of Exhumed. I'd already played the Saturn version to death and found the warping quite distracting when trying out the PS port. In most other games I tended not to pay attention to it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Image background and small fast moving polygons make lack of subpixel precision and perspective correct texturing harder to see.

Front Mission 3 had clear grid of polygons filling the screen and when camera moved limitations were quite noticeable.
Happily camera was not in constant slow movement and game was amazing.
I'm not quite sure that's it. If there were texture warping similar to that of fm3, the striped textures on the spider would have portions facing in different directions, similar to the checkerboard visual posted earlier.

The big difference between a fm3 and re2 is the latter has a moving camera, which you mentioned.

But even so, character faces in re2 aren't warped left and right like they are in ffviii.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It was great.

You look at games and you'll immedietly know what system it was on.
PS1 with those warpy textures
N64 with blurry and unstable fps
Saturn with lack of transparencies and awful 3D.
In a way I'm inclined to agree. The fifth generation was fucking wild (especially if you include the Jaguar and the 3DO) and something we'll never see again. Sure, that fact also had tons of drawbacks and maybe that's just the nostalgia talking, but I kind of miss especially what you mentioned, there being wildly different options instead of midrange PC #1 or midrange PC #2.

Also, maybe it's just the Stockholm syndrome talking, but I'm currently replaying some of the classics from that era and honestly, it works much better than I thought it would. For example, I was surprised to find that Banjo-Kazooie runs at a mostly stable 30fps (and also really isn't the sprawling collectathon later Rare games were) and Rayman 2's biggest problem is the lack of a framerate cap, because it wildly fluctuates, but stays above 30fps for the most time.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Not just in retrospect, I found it really ugly at the time as well when I knew nothing about how graphics worked. I'll take the blurriness and the fog from N64 games over PS1 graphics any day. PS 1 only really looked with pre-rendered backgrounds. In general, that gen was the ugliest ever.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I love all the weird graphical quirks of the PS1. The pixelated textures, the texture warping, the dithering, etc. I think it holds up better than the N64's super blurry textures that then had a smeary blur filter on top of that. I love the N64, but I really wish Nintendo hadn't made those blur filters more or less mandatory (Quake is, I think, the only game that let you disable one of the blur filters and it looks better with it off).

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not quite sure that's it. If there were texture warping similar to that of fm3, the striped textures on the spider would have portions facing in different directions, similar to the checkerboard visual posted earlier.

The big difference between a fm3 and re2 is the latter has a moving camera.

But even so, character faces in re2 aren't warped left and right like they are in ffviii.
Small polygons make lack of correction very hard to see especially scene has low field of view.
Size of polygons on spider is few pixels, so the area in which error is visible is quite small.

Checkerboard example is pretty close to worst possible case, tilted polygons shared edge is near constant z, making polygon averages for perspective be quite different. (And large FoW.)
Spiders in the gif are aligned with walls and wall, making stripes having smaller visible error. (Polygons with shared edge have pretty similar perspective)

Nov 4, 2017
I never really noticed the jitters on my PS1, I mostly played JRPGs, fighters, FIFA and racers. JRPGs were often 2D or used a lot of 2D, and I was probably too focused on the action during the other games. There were entire genres I couldn't play on the PS1 due to motion sickness, mostly FPS and 3D platformers, I imagine the jittery graphics didn't help.

Weirdly, I could play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for hours on end despite the sub-20 frame rate (or single digits in multiplayer), but the Zelda games gave me headaches.

While I find the games of the era hard to revisit, I have fond memories of my PS1 for the god-tier JRPG, racing, fighting, RTS and sports game support (also third person games like RE, MGS, Syphon Filter, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis), and I loved my N64 for the multiplayer joy of GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Smash Bros. Such good times.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Man it was gross, I was glad to be out of that generation tbh. The fog plagued the n64 and the choppy/jumpy/warpy Playstation shit was a nightmare to look at.

Jesus Christ.

The "fog issue" for N64 is exaggerated IMO.
There are indeed notable N64 games with a too short draw distance which cover it with a thick fog wall which is too close to the character (looking at you Turok) but in many cases the draw distance was acceptable and the fog was used to smooth out the transition of new objects/polygons/details coming visible whereas on other consoles of the time you would get them suddenly jump in sight out of nowhere.
Obviously the best case scenario (if the weather wasn't indeed a thick fog like could happen in racing games) was that the engine could draw a relatively detailed scene near you while having enough geometry budget to draw a less detailed environment far back in the background with the fog effect pulled afar to simulate a "realistic" mist at a distance.
I think for example at Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time.

ByE6F.png

images

Framerate was the true Achilles heel for N64 IMO along with its IQ being so dependent on CRT TV.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine for that time, technically. But ps1 games and N64 games all looked ugly as fuck. I was digusted by it. In fact, 360 and Ps3 was the first gen that 3D graphics became acceptable to me in terms of resembling esthetic goals of the artists. Still plagued by jaggies and shit textures though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've actually just today finished Ape Escape for the first time on my CRT. The jittery polys/warped textures aren't something I'd wish to see make a return, but they're a distinct part of the PS1 "look", so they're kinda charming if you played a lot of those games back in the day.

The "fog issue" for N64 is exaggerated IMO.

If you wanna see some terrible fog, check out Ape Escape. Shockingly short draw-distance in that game, especially in light of how well Spyro handled that issue a year earlier.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It was always bad, but not as bad as the texture seams showing, so many games don't look solid. Lots of games managed to handle it better or minimise it though, or work with it, it was always impressive to me when devs worked within the limits of PS1 or N64 and made something amazing looking.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
All these old graphical effects I know so well and intimately, have me really look at modern games graphics with wonder and appreciation. Until I get bored anyway

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Tomb raider 1 on the ps1 is probably the worst offender, since most of the game takes place in caves and interiors the entire screen is filled with these hideous constantly shifting textures, it's honestly kinda hard to look at.

And it doesn't really help that the framerate is around 15-20 with constant fluctuations, that's another thing about early 3d games that we tend to forget, a lot of them ran like shit (not all), even worse than the average console game today, today developers at least target a minimum of 30 (with varied success), that was not the case with early 3d games, there was no standard so there are plenty of games around the 15-20 mark.

TR1 on PS1 actually is quite stable 30, DF retro took a look at it a while back. The Saturn version dropped though.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
That always bothered me. Boot up the PS1 and you get a grainy mess, boot up the N64 and you get slowdown and draw distance issues. I think the top tier N64 games have "aged" better than the top PS1 games, but it certainly was a cursed generation visually.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it. I recently played A Short Hike which was absolutely charming and had a great PS1 look to it. Got me quite nostalgic for the mid-90s games. Shame the PS1 Classic was so shit.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I hated it then, now I can see a small bit of charm to it but only on a nostalgia level.

Probably a big reason I couldn't stand it at the time was that I was primarily a PC gamer and I never encountered anything like that effect in PC games.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I preferred it to the N64 blurry textures. If I ever wanted to be nauseated by a video I'd load up Jabu Jabu's Stomach in OoT.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Generally I prefer it to a lot of the blurry mess you got from many N64 games at the time. It never really bothered me very much, but then again, the fact that many N64 games ran like hot garbage didn't really bother me much at the time either.

I'm glad I experienced and enjoyed that generation as a kid because time was not kind to it.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
This all reminds me of when John Romero revealed he wanted to have the screen constantly shimmer just a little bit in the original Quake as objects weren't that clear with the low resolution and artifacting, but Adrian Carmack said it made him sick: