• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So there's been a recent talks of Justice League going around and the thing I wanted to say was that the comedy of this film was just so bad. Like, it was so forced and cringey. Examples via tv tropes:

Bruce: Barry Allen. (beat) Bruce Wayne.
Barry: You said that like it explains why there's a total stranger sitting in the dark in my second favorite chair.
Bruce: I know you have abilities. I just don't know what they are.
Barry: My special skills include, uh... viola, uh, web design, f-fluent in sign language. Gorilla sign language.note
Bruce: (looking at Flash's suit) Silica-based quartz sand fabric. Abrasion resistant. Heat resistant.
Barry: Uh... yeah, I do... competitive ice dancing.
Bruce: It's what they use on the space shuttle to prevent it from burning up on re-entry.
Barry: I do... very competitive ice dancing.

Bruce: Barry, this is Diana.
Barry: Hi, Barry! I'm Diana! That's not right...

Barry: It's really cool you guys seem ready to do battle and stuff, but, full transparency: I've never done battle. I just push some people and run away!

Is this a bad time to bring up my blood sugar?

Batman: (groaning) Something's definitely bleeding in there...

Arthur: If you say a word about this, you'll meet every piranha I know.
Barry: I... honestly didn't hear anything after "We're all gonna die".

Like the above lines are just..what? And this comedy doesn't fit Batman at all. He's meant to be the comically serious. JLU had the best way to have a funny Dark Knight

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There have been more Justice League threads in the past week than in the past two years

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
7107473-f3e52984-f961-42ce-b4bc-91aca3180a16.gif

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty bad but it wasn't as painful as Suicide Squad's humor.
Honestly, I don't remember if there are any really cringey jokes in JL like there were in SS.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
At least WB learned not to put their faith in Snyder in the end. His shitty movies had to happen to make way for the recent quality ones

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I made it to the humor. It was so bad, I don't think I made it a half hour before turning it off.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Justice League sucked, with or without the jokes. No Snyder Cut is gonna save it. (It'll just make it worse.)

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Batman: (groaning) Something's definitely bleeding in there..."

Can someone explain this for me? I feel like misreading it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Whats bad about the batman "Somethings definitely bleeding" bit isnt even the line its how it appears in between Clark flying off with Lois and Wonder Woman watching them leave as music swells so it feels like that shot got spliced in randomly from a different movie because of the jarring 5 second change in tone

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Are MCU movies any better at that sort of dialogue?

Endgame had some real groaners but guess which were still amusing

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The humour is hit and miss, but I can only image how much more unwatchable it would have been without the humour. WB did the right thing by bringing in Joss Whedon to attempt to prevent it from being another Snyder car crash.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I too hated how there was almost a reason to accidentally smile during one of these awful movies.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of the jokes in Justice League were added in Editing. You can tell because nobody every reacts to the joke. No eyerolls, smiles, smirks... nothing. They continue on with the conversation like it never happened. It makes every interaction with Flash seem uncomfortable as fuck when nobody acknowledges his quips.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The boob face plant. So much cringe. I think I sprained an optic nerve from extreme eye-rolling, because swelling or bleeding or something made the whole rest of the movie weirdly red.

I haven't seen it since. Couldn't bring myself to buy that particular blu-ray. I should rewatch some time, just to see what color that final battle really was.

The humour is hit and miss, but I can only image how much more unwatchable it would have been without the humour. WB did the right thing by bringing in Joss Whedon to attempt to prevent it from being another Snyder car crash.

I just disagree with this so hard. But hey, whatever works for you. For me it was a big disappointment, after two movies that I had enjoyed before it.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The joke about Martha saying Clark said Lois was the thirstiest woman he'd ever met was fucking terrible. I remember actually wincing in the cinema.

I thought the "I just push some people and run away!" line was actually pretty funny and I thought Flash was easily the best part of the movie (not saying much mind).

Oct 2, 2018
so much wrong with JL - I think casting is an issue; especially flash and cyborg.

and also that stupid looking stepphenwolf cgi thing.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I mean. Its Joss Whedon. I feel that exact way about every film he has made and all his shows.

I honestly do not understand what his appeal is. None of his dialogue is natural, it's just him trying to be funny and every character has some dumb quip on the tip of their tongue.

Its cringey as hell. And honestly so is most of the MCU attempts at humour as well. Its like a 10% succes rate on jokes for me.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
God, the DCEU could have been a cultural phenomenon. We could have had the death of Superman hyped up and be even more impactful than Iron Man's death FFS