• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Over the past two years there has been a lot of Kawhi tampering talk surrounding the Clippers even back when he was with the Raptors. It got to the point where the Raptors had to report the Clippers to the NBA and further reports popped up last season involving Kawhi's Uncle Dennis. Now moving forward to the present we have this new story.

Jerry West Sued By Man Claiming He Helped Clips Get Kawhi Leonard, You Owe Me 2.5 Mil! (tmz.com)

Basically this man, Johnny Wilkes, who went to high school with Kawhi's Uncle Dennis and has close ties to Kawhi is claiming that Jerry West agreed to give him $2.5 Million back in April 2019 if they helped bring Kawhi to the Clippers.

In the suit, Wilkes claims he told West he'd only help if the Clippers would pay him $2.5 MILLION ... and Wilkes claims West agreed to the terms.

Wilkes says in the lawsuit he "immediately went to work" ... and began convincing Kawhi and Kawhi's uncle the Clippers were the right team for him after he had just left the Toronto Raptors.

Wilkes says he told West and the Clippers they needed to get Paul George first and foremost to hook Kawhi. He then says he helped connect West with Kawhi's uncle.

Wilkes also claims in the suit he gave West a specific gameplan for how the Clippers should pitch Kawhi during an important meeting with West, Leonard, Doc Rivers and others in July 2019.

"This information was vital," Wilkes said in the lawsuit, "because it was the exact information Kawhi Leonard wanted to hear at the time in order to effectuate his signing with the Clippers."

Wilkes also says he helped facilitate a deal between West and Kawhi's uncle ... in which West agreed to give Uncle Dennis a Southern California home and a travel expense account.

He's now claiming that West didn't pay him a single cent.

Kawhi, the Clippers, and Jerry West have denied this over the past few days:
qi98qm22ku561.jpg

Only for Wilkes to release audio of Jerry West thanking him for helping convince Kawhi and calling the Lakers a shitshow(remember West is one of the greatest Lakers of all time) in response:

Hey there. This is Jerry calling. I really want to thank you a lot for trying to help. I heard this morning that everyone over in the Lakers camp thinks they're going to get him. I just find that hard to believe that he would want to go to that s*** show, where he would not even be – wouldn't even get his name in the paper. And he wouldn't be the face of the franchise. That's for sure. He might be the best player on the team. But hope things are well and again, I really, really appreciate everything you've done. I'll keep you apprised of what goes on. But I do want to get together with you privately and would love to take you to dinner – and even Sam if he's around – so I can at least pay my respects to you guys for being so generous and helpful. Take care. Talk to you sometime soon. Bye-bye.

Jerry West Alleged Voicemail, Called Lakers A 'Sh*t Show' To Sway Kawhi To Clips (tmz.com)

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow... so this is the dumbass the Clips can blame for Pandemic Paul?
LMAO

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kawhi was part of an intelligence operation and didn't even know it.

Everybody needs an Uncle Dennis in their life LOL.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
That shit show went on to win the title while the glorious Clippers shit the bed lol

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Uncle Dennis didn't share the bag with old Johnny, now he's coming straight after the bank.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Wasn't that around the time where Magic quit in a press conference and said Rob doesn't know what he was doing and all that? Of course he would tell Lenard's friend, "hey, don't go to that shit show because look at it in the press."

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

lol this is a non-story. all major nba teams tamper. if adam silver took tampering seriously he wouldve taken a hard look at klutch

If that's true, the name of the game is which team can hide it well and which team leaves a trail of evidence behind.

One is the Lakers....the other is the Clippers

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is the kind of scandal that the league has to enforce penalties against, but only because it's public now.

There's no way this isn't standard operating procedure for every FO in the league. If a team had an in or backdoor to communicate with a target FA or disgruntled star, I have no doubt that it would be used while appearing to follow the letter of the law.

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
lol this is a non-story. all major nba teams tamper. if adam silver took tampering seriously he wouldve taken a hard look at klutch
Not all NBA teams get caught tampering though lol. The ones that do get in trouble.

Klutch isn't an NBA team, so they can't really get in trouble for that kind of thing, nor is it against the rules and the Lakers aren't outwardly doing things that could get them in trouble now that Magic Johnson is gone.

Wasn't that around the time where Magic quit in a press conference and said Rob doesn't know what he was doing and all that? Of course he would tell Lenard's friend, "hey, don't go to that shit show because look at it in the press."
That was the sentiment at the time, but the real reason people have issue with it is West's connection with the Lakers.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Kawhi's uncle is always in on some shit. It's been rumored he was a big part of why Kawhi refused to talk to the spurs staff while he was injured.

Ju6cpkX.png

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

No, it's absolutely a story. West got caught with his hands in his pants. Other teams at least do a better job of hiding their tampering.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They really caught Jerry West in 4K like that lmfaooooooooo

flippers ruining everything they touch

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
The call isn't incriminating.

Nowhere does Jerry West say he told Wilkes to engage Kawhi. Does Wilkes have anything that says West was going to pay him?

A logical defense for West is that Wilkes did all this of his own volition and was not in any way controlled or employed by the Clippers. And now he is mad because he thought he was going to get something at the end of it.

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Nowhere does Jerry West say he told Wilkes to engage Kawhi. Does Wilkes have anything that says West was going to pay him?

A logical defense for West is that Wilkes did all this of his own volition and was not in any way controlled or employed by the Clippers. And now he is mad because he thought he was going to get something at the end of it.
West thanked the guy while talking about Kawhi's FA decision and invited him out to dinner to "pay his respects", so that would be pretty hard to pull off lol.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The only sensible next step is to reverse the signing, and send Kawhi back to the Toronto Raptors.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm more interested in the relationship between Wilkes and Kawhi....

That seems like some really shady crap to guide your friend to a certain team for a paycheck.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This is some Trump support level of mental gymnastics. No offense but this isn't some random dude wanting 2.5 million out of no where going to court knowing he had 0 chance with a bullshit story. The voicemail lines up pretty well with his story

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
West thanked the guy while talking about Kawhi's FA decision and invited him out to dinner to "pay his respects", so that would be pretty hard to pull off lol.
This is some Trump support level of mental gymnastics. No offense but this isn't some random dude wanting 2.5 million out of no where going to court knowing he had 0 chance with a bullshit story. The voicemail lines up pretty well with his story

If the guy has other evidence then he should bring it forward. The phone call fits with his description of events but isn't the only possible explanation. Where is his evidence he was due $2.5m? that figure is not on the tape and there has been nothing presented that supports that West was going to give him any money.

People go to court all the time with bullshit stories hoping for settlements.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would say this harms West more than anything, dude called the Lakers a Shitshow which is crazy considering how much he's done over there and how high they regard him but ohh well. Also, dude is like literally the NBA logo.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If this phonecall occurred when Kawhi was already a free agent it's a lot less incriminating (it says the call happened July 1, free agency began June 30). Obviously everybody knows everyone tampers, the key is not to get caught, but unless there is more to this it will probably result in a slap on the wrist.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder if this opens the flood gates and we discover all of West's amazing signings over the years were tampered.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this opens the flood gates and we discover all of West's amazing signings over the years were tampered.

everybody tampers. Look how many free agents announce they are signing with new teams like minutes after free agency begins. Woj announced Kemba Walker signing with Boston literally the minute free agency began. You really think he made that kind of decision in one minute without speaking to anyone from the organization? The league's unwritten policy on tampering is go ahead and do it just don't be blatant about it or we'll have to smack your hand.

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If this phonecall occurred when Kawhi was already a free agent it's a lot less incriminating (it says the call happened July 1, free agency began June 30). Obviously everybody knows everyone tampers, the key is not to get caught, but unless there is more to this it will probably result in a slap on the wrist.
I don't think anyone is expecting the Clippers to get anything more than that. Wilkes is claiming this started in April though.

This is a more a shot to Jerry West's legacy than anything else.