• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So a long time ago I started watching the baseball anime, Major, I believe I got caught up (it was years ago, so can't quite remember) and then stopped watching it for whatever reasons and seeing as they're now adapting it's Sequel Series and not currently watching any shows, I decided to finally go back and finish the show.

And man...

I've gotten so addicted to watching it. I had originally planned on spending most of my weekend playing Ghost of Tsushima but ultimately spent most of it just watching this show. It's not a beautiful show, it has a very simple formula, and characters don't have immense depth... But the build up, the hype moments, the comebacks, the drama, it's all a feedback loop to make you want to keep watching just one more episode. I've stayed up faaaaaaaaaaaaar later than I should have watching episodes.

Has anyone else watched/red one like this? I remember the manga of Eyeshield 21 giving me this same feeling awhile back. I don't even really care much for sports in real life but in show form I'm all about it.

(On an aside, would some consider wrong to say Major is the best baseball anime?)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Eyeshield 21 is the best one and no one can convince me otherwise. It's so damn good.

Shame the anime didn't do it justice

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I started reading Hajime no Ippo and went through about 800 chapters in a month, I was obsessed. (Now it's in the 1300s).

Haikyuu! ended today and is probably going to be my favorite sports manga of all time because it has one of my favorite protagonists/casts and actually managed to nail the ending. As much as I love Eyeshield 21 I thought the last arc was a mess at times even if it had some great moments.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Love me some Slam Dunk

tumblr_nr1e35Eoos1tejdzyo2_r1_540.jpg

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I love the sports manga that are super in-depth and meticulous. Like Hajime no Ippo, Daiya no A.

If you want a great Baseball anime then check out Daiya no A.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Kuroko until the racist ass movie dropped. I couldn't finish it and my love of the show was completely spoiled. Currently watching ahiru no sora and it's a great basketball anime so far. Only problem, which is a problem of all sports anime... or all anime in general, is how stuff is annoyingly stretched out. The last like 30 seconds of a game took three or four episodes.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I will give my recommendation, mostly to echo the folks who have posted already, but they are right you know! These are in my personal order of best to worst (but like none of them are less than excellent)

1. Ping Pong The Animation : A masteroiece of emotional storytelling that utilizes anime as a medium to its full extent. The artstyke is odd, but once you realize what it allows them to accomplish this becomes a breathtaking experience.

2. Run With the Wind: A lot of sports anime are pretty formulaic. This show aims for a more college age perspective and it completely lands the complexity of the crossroads we must walk at this age. Deeply emotional and inspiring, probably the only show I have watched that makes the audience look at themselves. A modern classic.

3. Chihayafuru: This show is storyboarded and directed to perfection. Practically poetry in motion at times. The sports element are merely here to drive the characters and their motivations, but also expose their emotions. A wonderful , gorgeous show.

4. Yuri on Ice: Fantastic ice skating numbers, gay relationships that are integral but not pandering to the story. An incredible soundtrack. It's just a great show all around.

5. Haikyuu!! : This show is as hype as it gets. It takes time to get there and it is worth it. Fantastic animation, all around an excellent adaptation.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
No mention of Mitsuru Adachi works ( Touch, Cross game, Katsu!, etc.. ) make me sad.

Also Hikaru no Go.
Also One Outs.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Kuroko until the racist ass movie dropped. I couldn't finish it and my love of the show was completely spoiled. Currently watching ahiru no sora and it's a great basketball anime so far. Only problem, which is a problem of all sports anime... or all anime in general, is how stuff is annoyingly stretched out. The last like 30 seconds of a game took three or four episodes.

The pacing killed Sora for me. When it took them like 6 episodes to beat some jobber team in the first round i was like nah.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
There's also Yowamushi Pedal for cycling!

There's something about sports anime that make them very addictive.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Ping Pong and really enjoyed the fake water sports one on the platforms (I always forget the name). You don't really have to be into sports to enjoy them, it's about the characters anyway.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
There are so many great sports animes, and they are always so cozy. Ippo, Haikyu, Slam Dunk, Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, I could list a hundred.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haikyuu and Ping Pong are great.

I didn't see my favourite mentioned though-- Baby Steps. Awesome tennis manga/anime.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond (baseball) recently went on hiatus and while I originally only watched it as a guilty pleasure it really REALLY improves as it goes along and the commitment to character development is really awesome. The main character is not the only one that goes through substantial development and rivals dont disappear after just losing once, they have their own goals and always have a next step planned ahead. Animation can be uneven but they usually really nail the hype moments

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't get through the third season of Major. So I would not put it among the best baseball anime. My personal favorite is Ace of diamond.

Cross game is also great.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Slam Dunk is the GOAT basketball anime.

Ahiru No Sora is pretty good too, the pacing my throw off people but the story is my cup of tea as the team is an actual underdog. The team is formed by a bunch of mistfit and doesn't just become a powerhouse of a team. It really shows how Basketball is a team sports, it also humanized Sora, as good as he is, his height is the biggest problem and the show emphasizes on it and even shows opposing team taking advantages of this. Its a slow even in Manga but the pay-off is worth it.

KnB is something I only recommend if you like dragon ball type power-up in your sports. I didn't really enjoy KnB but could be other people's cup of tea.

coolhandleek

Oct 27, 2017
Ace of Diamond (baseball) recently went on hiatus and while I originally only watched it as a guilty pleasure it really REALLY improves as it goes along and the commitment to character development is really awesome. The main character is not the only one that goes through substantial development and rivals dont disappear after just losing once, they have their own goals and always have a next step planned ahead. Animation can be uneven but they usually really nail the hype moments

I finished the Ace of Diamond Season 3 a month ago and agree with everything you said.Some of my favorite character growth in shonen anime.

Also love how relatively realistic it is to real baseball.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't generally like anime and find the characters insufferable but goddamn I couldn't get enough of Slam Dunk. It's on Amazon Prime at the moment. The narrative formula transcends sports into other settings of course but works well here.

Another one I found addictive was this Netflix fighting anime about corporations brokering deals with arena combat.

bino

Dec 3, 2018
I haven't seen Touch mentioned.
More of a RomCom but there's baseball/boxing/gymnastics

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If we can count street racing I would suggest Initial D. One of the most engaging anime I have ever watched with the combination of music and visuals.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis for me. Captain Tsubasa if you want some very classic sports anime for you.