• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
XtaDrHv.gif

Nov 1, 2017
It's not limited to Shredder, most cartoon villains were written as ineffectual jokes. You can see this with Skeletor in the original He-Man cartoons, there were others written and portrayed the same way. Why?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Or the violence in the cartoons is the reason. Violence? Can't have them using their weapons. Nope, only indirect use that hits something else to maybe trap the bad guys. Cartoons were neutered hard due to advocate groups going on a crusade. Threatening evil characters became a pale imitation of what they were to help be less threatening and violent.

For a country that loves guns and says everyone should have one they really did kinda go nuts about cartoons showing such things.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i wouldn't call it a re-tooling and those seasons weren't particulary more 'serious'. the show was just old AF (for a saturday morning kids show) and it went in a somewhat different direction (mostly aesthetic), as long running shows are wont to do
It's crazy how much this happened to shows from the 80s. Ghostbusters went through what felt like a dozen art style changes.
Janinethruseasons.png

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not limited to Shredder, most cartoon villains were written as ineffectual jokes. You can see this with Skeletor in the original He-Man cartoons, there were others written and portrayed the same way. Why?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Or the violence in the cartoons is the reason. Violence? Can't have them using their weapons. Nope, only indirect use that hits something else to maybe trap the bad guys. Cartoons were neutered hard due to advocate groups going on a crusade. Threatening evil characters became a pale imitation of what they were to help be less threatening and violent.

For a country that loves guns and says everyone should have one they really did kinda go nuts about cartoons showing such things.
Yeah, Cobra Commander as well. Maybe Megatron too.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when Shredder's mom came to visit and kept embarrassing him in front of the other villains?
obe.gif

Good times.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Didn't they retool the last three seasons to be "serious" after the success of shows like Batman?

Yeah and those were kind of bad, they're usually referred as the "red sky seasons" or something like that because the sky almost always was a shade of red. The 2003 series was better for a more "serious and closer to the comic" TMNT series, note I haven't seen the 2012 one nor the more recent one. For another comedic approach there's the live action series but that one is better forgotten and never talked about.

They also got rid of Shredder and Krang

Yes, although the turtles used Krang's suit thing near the end of the series if I recall correctly.

Remember when Shredder's mom came to visit and kept embarrassing him in front of the other villains?
obe.gif

Good times.

I was about to mention that episode, it was great.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Yeah, Cobra Commander as well. Maybe Megatron too.
Meanwhile, let's see the villains for CareBears and My Little Pony....

latest

SVvzvk2csrPsqWMbiSoa3kmSHtNyzVs_0k20OEtWmi8EaOhep_XtNzOi3KY21YfbykM_bICC6haijQMLpgdPYqKwo0N6lfj8OtEKhkFyanADoZvHxoK3zpVvytww-4fN6A

medium.gif

Shredder could learn something from the villains of 80s girl cartoons.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Definitely Cobra Commander, he fits it to a T. Megatron was genuinely more of a threat but he was a huge robot so likely the normal rules didn't apply to him as much as a living being would. Even if all Transformers were actually alive and felt things.

GI Joe Resolute, Renegades, and even Sigma 6 had competent incarnations of Cobra Commander.

Nov 1, 2017
Meanwhile, let's see the villains for CareBears and My Little Pony....

latest

Shredder could learn something from the villains of 80s girl cartoons.

Later he was portrayed as less evil/threatening. Can't be allowed to scare kids as he originally did.

GI Joe Resolute, Renegades, and even Sigma 6 had competent incarnations of Cobra Commander.

Resolute was a special thing entirely and it kicked much ass.

Renegade and Sigma 6 came much later after the original cartoon when rules/laws/mindsets had changed.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
It's okay. We got 5 good-to-great seasons before hand. And after Fast-Forward and Back to the Sewer, they ended on the highest note possible, with the mother of all crossovers that irrevocably cemented their Shredder as a fucking chad. (And Bebop and Rocksteady also saved the entire TMNT multiverse.)

Always felt that the crossover ended up being a waste in how they treated them being stupid as a brick(which they weren't even with their goofyness), it felt like it was written by some edgy teenager who grew up with the 80s series and now hated it for no reason.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Well I guess Mon*Star remains as the best 80s cartoon villian.

I guess I never got tired of seeing that sequence every other episode of Silverhawks.

It's crazy how much this happened to shows from the 80s. Ghostbusters went through what felt like a dozen art style changes.
Janinethruseasons.png

I remember hearing something that in the particular case of Janine that executives wanted her looks changed to look less evil and threatening or something like that which is why her hairdo changed and she got round glasses.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Same reason why Saban made a fucking fool out of Lord Zedd and Ted Turner lobbied to get Swat Kats cancelled.

Nov 1, 2017
Always felt that the crossover ended up being a waste in how they treated them being stupid as a brick(which they weren't even with their goofyness), it felt like it was written by some edgy teenager who grew up with the 80s series and now hated it for no reason.

Well I guess Mon*Star remains as the best 80s cartoon villian.

I guess I never got tired of seeing that sequence every other episode of Silverhawks.

I remember hearing something that in the particular case of Janine that executives wanted her looks changed to look less evil and threatening or something like that which is why her hairdo changed and she got round glasses.

Some shows always got hit harder than others. Why? It's honestly hard to say but probably has to deal with how human a character may or may not be.

As for Janine her mandated change was such an issue J. Michael Straczynski took issue with the whole thing and actually quit. Later he did return a season or two later and wrote an episode that dealt with the matter directly.

Same reason why Saban made a fucking fool out of Lord Zedd and Ted Turner lobbied to get Swat Kats cancelled.

Yup that's exactly what happened to Zedd. Swat Kats were killing it in the ratings, it was a huge hit. But ol Teddy didn't like the violence so yeah it had to go. Thankfully Ted said he had a lot of Hanna-Barbera shows that weren't violent which depending on matters wasn't always exactly true due to age and the mindsets of various episode creation dates.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shredder in the kids show was a baddie for... well a kid show. If you want the real Shredder, read the comics.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know, as a kid, I always thought of Shredder as a pretty harmless goofball... and yet he was always very threatening when I played the video games.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
He dies in the first issue. Don't Boba Fett this guy.

When I finally got my hands on Volume 1, it rocked my world to find out that the entire reason Splinter trains the TMNT isn't because he's a good guy who wants to pass on his knowledge of the martial arts to a new generation, but because he wants bloody revenge for his fallen master. Ralph's first mission is to throw a brick through the window of a Foot clan lair, mobster style.

Man, reading the OG TMNT comics would leave some folks shook.

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah, animated Shredder never scared me as a kid and was usually just goofy. The movie version on the other hand (especially roided up in Shredder in Secret of the Ooze) definitely creeped me out.

Apr 24, 2018
When I finally got my hands on Volume 1, it rocked my world to find out that the entire reason Splinter trains the TMNT isn't because he's a good guy who wants to pass on his knowledge of the martial arts to a new generation, but because he wants bloody revenge for his fallen master. Ralph's first mission is to throw a brick through the window of a Foot clan lair, mobster style.

Man, reading the OG TMNT comics would leave some folks shook.
I've heard the original comics were very dark on many occasions. I really wanted to check them out when I was younger but never got around to it.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I've heard the original comics were very dark on many occasions. I really wanted to check them out when I was younger but never got around to it.

The comics often and inexplicably shift from dark to whimsical. In one issue you're reading about Casey and Apri's dysfunctional relationship and in another issue, the turtles are traveling through time and space with an absurdly buxom airhead.

Also, the Kraang are a benevolent race. They just LOOK evil.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cartoons in the 80s had a lot of rules. Like no real violence against humans.

Ever notice the only things to get actually shot and stabbed in those old shows are robots? Even GI Joe introduces robot Cobra soldiers.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's okay. The 2003 show was a much more faithful adaptation of the comics, and their Shredder was a fucking badass.

I agree. Shredder was more menacing in the 2003 version & in the 2012 version of TMNT.

Plus in the 2012 version, Bebop & Rocksteady were more smarter & actually gave the turtles a run for their money, unlike in the 1987 version.