• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Wish he would have made the rocket a bit larger. I'm sure a few more Flat Earthers would have joined him on what is sure to be a ground breaking event. ; )

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Wait, 1800 feet is like the height of the CN tower. He could just spend a portion of that money and do that thing where they let you at the top and outside (well secured, of course).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1,800 feet? Does this dude know that commercial planes flay at 30,000 feet? Or get in a hot air balloon, or anything. I guess that's why he's called Mad Mike

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd rather he didn't carry out what essentially amounts to an elaborate yet pointless suicide plan, but, hey, it's his life to waste.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Sums up everything about this:
giphy.gif

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
He could just get his pilot's license and fly around in a cropduster if he's worried about images on the windows of the plane.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a lot cheaper and you'd get like a thousand feet higher going to Dubai and going to the top of the Burj Kahlifa. Plus the added bonus of not a guaranteed death.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the OP's kinda twisting the story here a bit. Yeah, the dude's a Flat Earther, and yeah, he was sponsored by a Flat Earth website, but that isn't the drive to do what he's doing. From the article in the OP:
"If you're not scared to death, you're an idiot," Hughes said . "It's scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive. I like to do extraordinary things that no one else can do, and no one in the history of mankind has designed, built and launched himself in his own rocket.
This will actually be the second time he's constructed and launched a rocket. He jumped on a private property in Winkelman, Arizona, on Jan. 30, 2014 , and traveled 1,374 feet. He collapsed after that landing — the G-forces taking a toll — and needed three days to recover.
He's done this shit before. It's what he loves to do and it isn't as dangerous as those in this thread are making it out to be (that's not to say it isn't very dangerous and could get him killed, of course). He even knows that this trip won't be enough to prove the earth is flat:
Down the road, he's intending to build a rocket that takes him to space, so he can snap a picture and see with his own eyes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"If he dies, it just proves that the round earthers sought to suppress the truth."

I know this is coming, like the people who revise their doomsday date when they're wrong

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems illegal. Like what kind of permits do you need to launch your homemade rocket into space?

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how Flat Earth theory works ; surely Flat Earthers need to anticipate that the Earth whilst flat might appear round when observed?

Nah, I think if it were a globe you'd see, well, the Earth, but if it were a disc it should look like the map with the North Pole in the center (according to them), and flat. So the land masses would be all different.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Could he have bought an expensive drone to go up that high and pilot it remotely, capturing footage instead?

I actually don't know much about commercial drones to be honest. I swear I saw this awesome video on YouTube when I was looking for 4K streams to break in my new TV and some guy posted some gorgeous footage of a drone he piloted over Hawaii. That looked to be pretty high up.