• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Hughes's ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.

"It'll shut the door on this ball earth," Hughes said in a fundraising interview with a flat-Earth group for Saturday's flight. Theories discussed during the interview included NASA being controlled by round-Earth Freemasons and Elon Musk making fake rockets from blimps.

"This whole tech thing," he said in the June interview. "I'm really behind the eight ball."

It was originally scheduled for early 2016 in a Kickstarter campaign — "From Garage to Outer Space!" — that mentioned nothing about Illuminati astronauts, and was themed after a NASCAR event.

"We want to do this and basically thumb our noses at all these billionaires trying to do this," Hughes said, standing in his Apple Valley, Calif., living room, which he had plastered with drawings of his rockets.

While his flat-Earth friends helped him finally get the thing built, the AP reported, Hughes will be making adjustments right up to Saturday's launch.

He won't be able to test the rocket before he climbs inside and attempts to steam himself at 500 mph across a mile of desert air. And even if it's a success, he's promised his backers an even riskier launch within the next year, into the space above the disc.

"It's scary as hell," Hughes told the AP. "But none of us are getting out of this world alive."

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/11/21/this-man-is-about-to-launch-himself-in-his-homemade-rocket-to-prove-the-earth-is-flat/

F

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
At least he got that sweet nanolube sponsorship

AP_17324142065466-Made-Mike-Hughes-California-Rocket.jpg

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USER WARNED FOR: Wishing death upon someone they don't like.
I hope he ends up dead. We need less people like him on this Earth.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
We're all expecting him to blow himself up, right? Shouldn't someone stop him?

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I don't mind. Independent verification is part of the scientific method. Although I can't help but wonder who they'll say sabotaged them if their foolproof plan goes wrong. After all, it's not like putting a man into space is rocket science or anything.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
That's really the catch 22 of the whole flat earth thing. People stupid enough to believe it will die if they try to prove it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I don't believe in science," said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula."

derpderpderp

Oct 27, 2017
Before he inevitably kills himself I hope he at least realises in his last few seconds that the planet is in fact spherical.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, isn't 1800 feet very low height to see anything? There are many mountains higher than that. Also a commercial jet can get up to 35k feet. Why not buy a plane ticket and be done with it? Or does he claim that the windows are display fake images? The mental gymnastics these people go through are just intense. I seriously doubt the chemicals in the brain of someone like that are normal. He and the rest of community need professional help.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
From the article it sounds like he's pretending to be a flat earther in order to get funding

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha

Oh man, good luck. Have a fun trip. I hope what's about to happen will be worth it assuming you even reach that high.