• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of my favorite games of all times. I completed the main campaign on Xbox One X and waited for the PC version to go back and replay it along with the side missions. Obviously the PC launch could have gone better. After everyone was ironed out the PC version ran quite well for me on my old 1080 TI. That being said I had to have a mix of different settings cause my rig wasn't powerful enough to run it. Recently upgraded to a RTX 3080 and raised a ton of my settings and man does RDR2 look amazing on PC. See the screenshots below along with my settings at the end!

IAUZ7v.png

IistYm.png

IisrqP.png

IisR2i.png

IisTCo.png

IisES9.png

Iiskx2.png

IisJpC.png

IisQf5.png

Iis90z.png

IisdBT.png

IisqYb.png

IissJr.png

Specs:

Intel 8700K
Nvidia RTX 3080
32 GB RAM
SSD
Win 10

Settings:

Getting pretty much a locked 60 FPS with my specs above and settings below!

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, DX12
3840 x 2160, 143966hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: No, Triple: Off

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Global Illumination Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Far Shadow Quality: Ultra
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: High
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: High, FXAA: On, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Far Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: High
Soft Shadows: Ultra
Grass Shadows: High
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: On
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 75%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 400%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 100%
Tree Quality: Ultra
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: On

Generated on 2021-02-10 0:21 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Last edited:

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Rockstar are simply masters of their craft, there is nothing more to it. Game is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
RDR2 is one stunning game, but I think you might be oversharpening a bit there boss.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is one stunning game, but I think you might be oversharpening a bit there boss.
RDR2's TAA looks quite blurry when playing at your monitor's native res, but at 4K I think using GeForce overlay's 'Details' filter just a bit should be enough to keep the game looking nice and clean

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
RDR2's TAA looks quite blurry when playing at your monitor's native res, but at 4K I think using GeForce overlay's 'Details' filter just a bit should be enough to keep the game looking nice and clean

Yeah, i'm just noticing a lot of high frequency ringing in the above shots, especially around the character's heads/edges and grass.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is next-gen beautiful on Xbox One X/Series X too. It still amazes me every day.
Your settings are a bit off though.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I've been playing RDR Online and the game looks fantastic on PC.. with a few tweaks I can hold 60 fps with pretty much Ultra/High settings on a GTX 1080.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Wow, one of the best looking recent games is still one of the best looking games when rendered with some of the best latest high end tech!

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Best looking game I have ever seen. I really think this was this was the game Rockstar should have announced getting new gen versions instead of GTA V.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It also has native multi GPU support, which is kind of nice now that new GPUs are apparently the new post apocalyptic currency.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I purposely decided not to play this game. Now that I have an 3080 and a 75 inch 4k TV, I'm thinking sometime this year.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of my favorite games of all times. I completed the main campaign on Xbox One X and waited for the PC version to go back and replay it along with the side missions. Obviously the PC launch could have gone better. After everyone was ironed out the PC version ran quite well for me on my old 1080 TI. That being said I had to have a mix of different settings cause my rig wasn't powerful enough to run it. Recently upgraded to a RTX 3080 and raised a ton of my settings and man does RDR2 look amazing on PC. See the screenshots below along with my settings at the end!

IAUZ7v.png

IistYm.png

IisrqP.png

IisR2i.png

IisTCo.png

IisES9.png

Iiskx2.png

IisJpC.png

IisQf5.png

Iis90z.png

IisdBT.png

IisqYb.png

IissJr.png

Specs:

Intel 8700K
Nvidia RTX 3080
32 GB RAM
SSD
Win 10

Settings:

Getting pretty much a locked 60 FPS with my specs above and settings below!

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, DX12
3840 x 2160, 143966hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: No, Triple: Off

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Global Illumination Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Far Shadow Quality: Ultra
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: High
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: High, FXAA: On, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Far Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: High
Soft Shadows: Ultra
Grass Shadows: High
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: On
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 75%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 400%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 100%
Tree Quality: Ultra
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: On

Generated on 2021-02-10 0:21 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)
I played it on Xbox one at launch and i was in disbelief how good it looked.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Amazing looking game. Hoping for some Next-Gen patch for XSX so I can do a replay.

Oct 28, 2017
Few of the images are hard to see, due to excessive fog/haze/god rays (my eyes are burning).
But other images look very good, the distance detail in the game looks very nice.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Was performance ever improved on PC? I played the hell out of it on One X at release but wouldn't mind double dipping for the extra visual bells and whistles.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The ultra lighting quality really shows itself off well in Saint Denis at night, looks so good.

Was performance ever improved on PC? I played the hell out of it on One X at release but wouldn't mind double dipping for the extra visual bells and whistles.

Maybe minorly so - but as far as I'm aware nothing significant.

I don't think it's necessary though - it's a reasonably well optimised game. It has some expensive settings, the game doesn't do a good job at providing optimised defaults, and I think I'm right in saying that even some of the lowest settings aren't as low as the console versions go (which is a shame, games should scale low as well as high).

But there are good optimised settings out there that provide you with a great visual experience and good performance. When the game is demanding, it is largely justified.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The ultra lighting quality really shows itself off well in Saint Denis at night, looks so good.

Maybe minorly so - but as far as I'm aware nothing significant.

I don't think it's necessary though - it's a reasonably well optimised game. It has some expensive settings, the game doesn't do a good job at providing optimised defaults, and I think I'm right in saying that even some of the lowest settings aren't as low as the console versions go (which is a shame, games should scale low as well as high).

But there are good optimised settings out there that provide you with a great visual experience and good performance. When the game is demanding, it is largely justified.

Sounds good, thanks for the rundown 👍

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, the X1X version already blew my mind.

The only real weakness of the PC version is the IQ, the X1X version sidestepped this by being native 4k, it looked quite pristine. On Pc at 1440p it's still a touch too blurry sadly, but with higher internal rendering res it looks fantastic. My 2080 struggled a bit to maintain 60 fps but with the 3070 it's above 60 fps now at all times with settings well above the X1X equavilent. It really is special.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Keeping my fingers crossed for a PS5 enhanced update. I've been waiting. I would even pay $10 an update that enhances textures, lighting, shadows, draw distance and other tweaks at 60 FPS. Hell, those updates at 30 FPS would satisfy me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting déjà vu here - hlhbk haven't you done a RDR2 PC praise thread before?

edit: haha, you have. You def love it! I agree, it looks absolutely amazing.
www.resetera.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 is vastly improved on PC if you have the right hardware to push it

First a little history of me and RDR2. I picked up RDR2 at launch on my Xbox One X. As a story focused gamer I absolutely loved the first game and loved the second game even more. That being said while I beat the main story I stayed away from a ton of side content because I knew just like GTA...

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I made it to the epilogue today and the PC version is the most gorgeous game I have ever played. This game also absolutely needs 60 FPS. That said, it looks a little soft on any resolution below 4K, which is a bit of a shame.