• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
So the big question, what would you do if you had to choose between a 65 inch oled vs a 75 inch led?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I want a OLED but the fact sunlight can fuck it up makes me afraid.

wait what

Yes just turn the TV off. Also you can turn the screen off, but leave the TV on (to hear the channel you're viewing if you want to).
Absolutely.

Chances are unless you happen to pause the same game in the same place with the same things on screen on a regular basis, it isn't strictly necessary. Plus you'll have the screensaver / ABL / logo luminance adjustment all at your disposal.

But if you really want to be sure, there's no harm in just turning it off - always the best way to preserve the display! :)

That's a relief!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I want a OLED but the fact sunlight can fuck it up makes me afraid. Though I am still debating between OLED and an ultra short throw projector
I need more information on this. The TV will get kissed by the sun every day, depending on the time of year. Are OLEDs particularly more sensitive then, say, my 10 year old plasma that was in the exact same spot (with no apparent ill effects)?

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
So the big question, what would you do if you had to choose between a 65 inch oled vs a 75 inch led?

This is my issue, too, but I'm looking at 65 and 70. I wish I could get at 70 inch OLED. WHY is this not a thing? I'm sitting about 10-11 feet from the TV. Right now I have a 46 inch and I can see OK in all TV view and most games. Only issue is sometimes with text on games like Fallout 4, for example. But I have had a Panasonic plasma for 12 years now and it still looks SO DAMN GOOD. Motion clarity, colors and black levels are all things I have come to greatly value. For that reason, I think OLED is the only upgrade my eyes and brain will accept.... I just want it a liiiittle bit bigger.

I need more information on this. The TV will get kissed by the sun every day, depending on the time of year. Are OLEDs particularly more sensitive then, say, my 10 year old plasma that was in the exact same spot (with no apparent ill effects)?

Same situation here (in the winter months). I want to know. Never heard of this.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I think this is what they're talking about:

bu7i78wt2od01.png

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017

Lol no. An OLED will be much brighter than your 10 year old plasma. If you don't have any issues seeing the screen now then you won't with an OLED.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
This is my issue, too, but I'm looking at 65 and 70. I wish I could get at 70 inch OLED. WHY is this not a thing? I'm sitting about 10-11 feet from the TV. Right now I have a 46 inch and I can see OK in all TV view and most games. Only issue is sometimes with text on games like Fallout 4, for example. But I have had a Panasonic plasma for 12 years now and it still looks SO DAMN GOOD. Motion clarity, colors and black levels are all things I have come to greatly value. For that reason, I think OLED is the only upgrade my eyes and brain will accept.... I just want it a liiiittle bit bigger.

Same situation here (in the winter months). I want to know. Never heard of this.
I feel your pain. I have also had a Panasonic Plasma for 11 years. The other big question is, is Oled such a big difference in quality that it's worth sacrificing 10 inches on TV size?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm fully expecting to end up with burn-in on my CX. We both work from home and it's on for 12-14 hours a day during the work week. My girlfriend has her routine of channels that she has on in the background during the work day. Its not the same channel all day, but each channel is on in blocks. No news channels with constant tickers at least.

The thing is she could not have cared less if we got the TV, so if I turnaround and tell her we spent all that money on a new TV and now she can't use it how she wants to she will probably not be happy. In fairness, she would turn it off throughout the day if I explained it all to her, but she'd still be like "WFT?"

I'm not too worried about it and am just kind of hoping for the best. The TV is amazing and I'll have zero regrets if permanent burn-in shows up and I have to replace it in a year or two. Not sure I'd buy another OLED in that scenario, but I wouldn't be mad.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm fully expecting to end up with burn-in on my CX. We both work from home and it's on for 12-14 hours a day during the work week. My girlfriend has her routine of channels that she has on in the background during the work day. Its not the same channel all day, but each channel is on in blocks. No news channels with constant tickers at least.

The thing is she could not have cared less if we got the TV, so if I turnaround and tell her we spent all that money on a new TV and now she can't use it how she wants to she will probably not be happy. In fairness, she would turn it off throughout the day if I explained it all to her, but she'd still be like "WFT?"

I'm not too worried about it and am just kind of hoping for the best. The TV is amazing and I'll have zero regrets if permanent burn-in shows up and I have to replace it in a year or two. Not sure I'd buy another OLED in that scenario, but I wouldn't be mad.
If she has it on just as background, then perhaps zoom the screen in so the static elements are not showing? I do that all the time on my plasma when I'm not really watching it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you can just zoom the screen enough to make the static images outside the screen or just turn off the screen if you're only using it for ambient noise.

moogan

Nov 2, 2017
anyone have any links to any deals currently avaliable

ive been eying the LG CX 55'' at best buy for $1350 so far but I haven't really seen any other deals so far

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Newer OLED tvs are probably really dope, but my LG E7 lost its wow factor on me a while ago. Maybe I should have waited before upgrading in 2018.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious why especially for gaming? Wouldn't the extra 10 inches in size make up for the slight loss in quality from 8 - 10ft away?
I don't remember why exactly, but the way OLEDs work, they innately have a much better response time than LED, which helps a lot for gaming. When you factor that in with high refresh rates, color reproduction and true blacks, they are much better for gaming.

www.digitaltrends.com

Nvidia G-Sync Makes LG OLED TVs the Best TVs for Gaming | Digital Trends

LG's OLED TVs have always been a step above for gamers, but their advantages grow this week with the release of a firmware update that will give all 2019 OLED TVs compatibility with Nvidia's G-Sync technology for variable refresh rates. It's the first time a TV maker has added G-Sync, which is...

Oct 26, 2017
very jealous. I got a new tv a couple of years ago and had to spend quite a while deciding whether to get a cheap one now or wait a few years to get an OLED. decided on both, but occasionally seeing the nice LG sets on credit is pretty tempting.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Had a B7 for the last 3 years and the tv was top not picture quality wise. Passed it on to my gf in the game room and upgraded to the CX, now we both have OLEDs to game on. Cant wait to convince her to get a 65+ Sony OLED in our living room down the road Lmao.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
That was my exact dilemma exactly a year ago

i went with the 65 OLED over the 75inch Sony.

Now i want both worlds and my next TV is 77inch OLED.
It's a really hard dilemma. So you think the difference in picture quality will be really that massive a difference especially with the bigger size of the Sony?

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Had a B7 for the last 3 years and the tv was top not picture quality wise. Passed it on to my gf in the game room and upgraded to the CX, now we both have OLEDs to game on. Cant wait to convince her to get a 65+ Sony OLED in our living room down the road Lmao.
What are the main differences between Sony and LG OLEDs?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Sony tends to have better image quality from their picture processing, but a lot of that goes away in game mode. There seems to be a strong indication their OLEDs this year will also be much brighter than the CX, but we have no indication idea how the C11 will stack up yet. Sony supports DTS while LG doesn't anymore. We'll also have to see how both handle their HDMI 2.1 implementation too. If you're going off last years, only LG had HDMI 2.1 while Sony's upcoming will be their first OLED with HDMI 2.1. Sony will have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports while LG should have all 4 ports being HDMI 2.1.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Processors. Sony processors are better at handling near blacks, color, and up scaling. Sony sources panels from LG though so the difference is marginal.
Sony tends to have better image quality from their picture processing, but a lot of that goes away in game mode. There seems to be a strong indication their OLEDs this year will also be much brighter than the CX, but we have no indication idea how the C11 will stack up yet. Sony supports DTS while LG doesn't anymore. We'll also have to see how both handle their HDMI 2.1 implementation too. If you're going off last years, only LG had HDMI 2.1 while Sony's upcoming will be their first OLED with HDMI 2.1. Sony will have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports while LG should have all 4 ports being HDMI 2.1.
Thanks for the quick answers!

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I am stuck with a Samsung Frame. Blah blah blah aesthetics. Samsung better give those sets a massive picture quality upgrade.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The perfect blacks are more of a game-changer than HDR (very hit or miss) and 4K for me.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. The perfect blacks are more of a game-changer than HDR (very hit or miss) and 4K for me.

They are complementary. Perfect Blacks + HDR make a match in Heaven.

A year now that I have my LG C9 65" and I could not be happier about a TV (had a Samsung KS7000 before -still have it in the kids' room), I have had nice TV's before, but none came close to the satisfaction I have with this one, even a year after (and thus, arguarbly, with the Honeymoon phase well behind).

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
They have better processors for motion handling, up scaling,etc. Made for quality movie/sport watching which we mostly do on our living room 65 inch Sony 930e which I love(mostly why I would like another Sony downstairs lol).

That and the fact that Sony is on Android TV while LG is on WebOS. I like both, but WebOS is a bit more intuitive (more restrained in terms of apps, but there is all I need). Oh, and I think LG can push it a bith brighter still.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I've owned two OLEDs so far and am really tempted to replace the older one soon. Very curious what these 83" OLEDs they are rolling out this year are going to run. I keep seeing the 77" drop down to $2999 which is sneaking into "I could maybe rationalize that" territory. OLED contrast + HDMI 2.1 + Low latency gaming + Uncompromising large screen is a very enticing proposition.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

4K is still a complete non-factor for me. When viewing a really good 1080p Blu-ray and a 4K Blu-ray the "uptick in details" is extremely minimal to the point in where I have to do side by side comparisons to even notice any difference. The black levels and HDR are more impressive to me (namely Dolby Vision, since as you said, "HDR" can be very hit or miss).

Sony TVs also have a ridiculously bad UI in comparison too.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
They're so damn good, but definitely take good care of them! Burn in is real. My B7 got the Youtube logo and account icon burned into my set after 3 years. Contrary to popular belief, OLED burn-in is cumulative, and WILL happen over time, even if the time these logos spend on screen isn't lengthy and consecutive. In other words, minimize your usage of apps / games that have static elements overall, not just the length of individual sessions.

All that said, it's still absolutely worth it, and burn in isn't THAT noticeable in the long run. My panel itself also broke due to the pixel refresher after I noticed the burn-in, and LG did an out-of-warranty panel replacement, I only had to pay for the labor, about 200 bucks, and I got a brand spankin' new panel out of it, so I'm very happy. If I get 3-4 more years out of this one before I get burn-in, that'll probably bring me to the time I'll want to upgrade anyway, and this one would go to the bedroom :)

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
have CX 65" arriving tomorrow to replace a TCL 6 series. excited and terrified at the same time

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
OLED's make for beautiful tv's, but due to me always having the TV on one and the same station whenever it's on and me gaming on my consoles quite often, I refuse to get one because of the chances of burn in. It's the main reason I've gone with QLED so far.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They're so damn good, but definitely take good care of them! Burn in is real. My B7 got the Youtube logo and account icon burned into my set after 3 years. Contrary to popular belief, OLED burn-in is cumulative, and WILL happen over time, even if the time these logos spend on screen isn't lengthy and consecutive. In other words, minimize your usage of apps / games that have static elements overall, not just the length of individual sessions.

All that said, it's still absolutely worth it, and burn in isn't THAT noticeable in the long run. My panel itself also broke due to the pixel refresher after I noticed the burn-in, and LG did an out-of-warranty panel replacement, I only had to pay for the labor, about 200 bucks, and I got a brand spankin' new panel out of it, so I'm very happy. If I get 3-4 more years out of this one before I get burn-in, that'll probably bring me to the time I'll want to upgrade anyway, and this one would go to the bedroom :)

Must have been nice. They made me go to a local repair shop, who said it was going to cost $900 (because they had to buy a panel) for my B6 in the middle of 2018 (I missed having it covered by my second year of the warranty by barely six months). Also, I thought it was pretty well known by now that "burn in" is cumulative time, despite there being some more severe outliers where it happens within a relatively short period.

I ended up upgrading to a C8 and a larger screen, so that was nice, but paying a total of $4,500 over the course of two and a half years wasn't, and even my C8 has issues. The onus was on me though since I ordered both online, getting "a good deal". Never again will I buy from a place that makes it hard to return one of these TVs from either. Just going to wait until Best Buy has another sale whenever I decide to replace my current set in a year or two, and I'll also make sure it doesn't have any glaring uniformity problems under normal content, and keep returning them until I get one that doesn't. Fuck this amount of money for defective screens.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Must have been nice. They made me go to a local repair shop, who said it was going to cost $900 (because they had to buy a panel) for my B6 in the middle of 2018 (I missed having it covered by my second year of the warranty by barely six months). Also, I thought it was pretty well known by now that "burn in" is cumulative time, despite there being some more severe outliers where it happens within a relatively short period.

I ended up upgrading to a C8 and a larger screen, so that was nice, but paying a total of $4,500 over the course of two and a half years wasn't, and even my C8 has issues. The onus was on me though since I ordered both online, getting "a good deal". Never again will I buy from a place that makes it hard to return one of these TVs from either. Just going to wait until Best Buy has another sale whenever I decide to replace my current set in a year or two, and I'll also make sure it doesn't have any glaring uniformity problems under normal content, and keep returning them until I get one that doesn't. Fuck this amount of money for defective screens.

Arf. Yeah, that's super shitty. When I did the replacement, LG mentioned they started doing one out-of-warranty courtesy replacement per screen in 2019, up to five years after purchasing the screen. So that seems to be the "behind-the-scenes" guidance. I love OLEDs, but I would be totally out of patience in your situation too. Lets hope micro-leds offer a better alternative... On one hand, I don't think I can go back to LCD panels now, but on the other hand, burn in is real, and OLED panels ARE more fickle than LCD panels. It's not a lottery or luck of the draw either, any single OLED screen WILL "use up" and degrade much faster than LCD.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I completely caved after 6 months of lockdown pining and spent far too much on a a LG CX. I don't usually go this huge on purchases so I really was agonising, but with lockdown going til Easter in the UK and getting a TV that could last this whole gen for my PS5, and maybe for my PC too on certain occasions, I had to do it. And I'm excited to see the results.

It'll probably last longer than that. Great tv.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Arf. Yeah, that's super shitty. When I did the replacement, LG mentioned they started doing one out-of-warranty courtesy replacement per screen in 2019, up to five years after purchasing the screen. So that seems to be the "behind-the-scenes" guidance. I love OLEDs, but I would be totally out of patience in your situation too. Lets hope micro-leds offer a better alternative... On one hand, I don't think I can go back to LCD panels now, but on the other hand, burn in is real, and OLED panels ARE more fickle than LCD panels. It's not a lottery or luck of the draw either, any single OLED screen WILL "use up" and degrade much faster than LCD.

This is another reason to not go for the "deals" online, unless where you are ordering is absolutely an authorized dealer. I bet I could actually still get a replacement for my B6 had I done that, but apparently Cleveland Plasma isn't one of them, and they actually didn't even save me a dime compared to what the closer stores were selling them for only two months later. The real kicker here is that when I decided to just buy a new TV instead of wasting nearly half as much of that to get an older one fixed is that Best Buy had the C8s for $2,000 back in March of 2019 for the 65'' (which was $500 less than what I paid for a 55'' just two and a half years prior), but because the C9s were right around the corner, I decided to hold off and see if those would be a better purchase.

At the time, they weren't (VRR wasn't a thing on them yet), and when I decided to go ahead and get a C8, the prices jumped back up at Best Buy. So I ended up getting one for $2,000 elsewhere online, which in the end seemed super shady, because they weren't an authorized dealer and sent me an invoice that showed it was sold from "Amazon", but it really wasn't. Also, the way they "communicated" with me was extremely sketchy as well. They would only do anything through text messages, and I couldn't get anyone on the phone at all. The only phone number that worked was for their warehouse, and they of course just gave me the number to call (text only) for customer service.

Last edited: