• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 20, 2018
For 13 years I only had room for a 32 inch TV, so when I bought my house, I knew the first Black Friday a big 4K TV was the priority. I was a little hesitant about dropping the money for the one of the LG OLEDs, but since using it I've not thought about the cost once. I love it.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I'm excited for the 42" LG that's finally on the way. been waiting for a smaller 40-43 OLED. And the ability to do 120hz on it to boot. Hopefully the iPhone 13 coming later this year will also move to a faster OLED screen than the current one.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Mini. That depends on the software.
It has nothing to do with software. Mini LED is still LCD with all the issues that come with the tech over the last two decades. It won't stack up to the black levels view angles, etc that OLED offers. OLED will still be better by the nature of both technologies.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I had this problem happen too and I was four years out of warranty and LG replaced it for free. Not only that, the replacement panel was a 2020 panel. It's better than the one I had before, no more banding.

So it's definitely worth a try. I just contacted them via their support chat on their website.
They want £200 to have it replaced unfortunately.

I may try and go through Twitter or Facebook next time but I'm not hopeful they'll do it.

Good you got a 2020 panel though!

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Well I feel rather fortunate. In the fifth and final year of its guarantee with Currys, my C6 has been written off (bloody family and their news watching in the first few years) and I'm about to order a CX in its place with a voucher. Had to jump through a few hoops but got there.

Sad to see the 3D (and those curves) go. But will enjoy hooking the new one up.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 55 LG B8, and it's pretty much a perfect TV aside from the not-great motion smoothing (visible artifacts pretty often) which is pretty much required for 24-30fps content, panning shots stutter like crazy without it.
For the record, I'm talking about setting it to something like 3/4 out of 10 (10 being 30->60fps), which doesn't create the soap opera effect but it makes those panning shots watchable. Unfortunately it can't be used for games on an LG, the input lag is way too big with it on. I wish there was an OLED TV with a low-latency interpolation mode like the Samsung TVs have. This is the only thing that I can say is a real flaw of the TV. I don't worry about burn-in because I watch/play various things, the temporary image retention is rarely visible and the vertical banding is very, very rarely visible.
What's most annoying though is calibrating the black level on different content. For example, usually my brightness level in HDR should be on 49/100, but in order to get perfect blacks in Planet Earth II I had to drop it down a couple notches.
What also sucks for me is the fact that I bought the last series with HDMI 2.0, which is a bummer due to no VRR. Hopefully by the time I'm in the market for a new TV this will no longer be an issue.

OP, if you haven't already, watch the following in 4k HDR:

Planet Earth II
Blue Planet II
Our Planet (Netflix)

Preferably in a dark room. These are absolutely mind-blowing, it's a life-changing experience.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm better off never seeing one in person. I know I'll want one.
My cheap 4K set still blows me away. Though I do see where there could be improvements.
I can play games in the hundreds of hours and I watch a lot of CNN so burn in anxiety would be a thing for me as the anxious person I am anyways.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm better off never seeing one in person. I know I'll want one.
My cheap 4K set still blows me away. Though I do see where there could be improvements.
I can play games in the hundreds of hours and I watch a lot of CNN so burn in anxiety would be a thing for me as the anxious person I am anyways.
This is me too. I fear I'd start replacing every panel in my house and I think I have something like 5 or 6.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This is me too. I fear I'd start replacing every panel in my house and I think I have something like 5 or 6.

Your fear is real. We got a 55" CX back in November and put it in the living room. The 55" 1080p Sony LED that was in the living room went into our bedroom, replacing the 40" that was in there. The problem is I don't want to watch anything available in 4K HDR on the bedroom TV now. I have seriously thought multiple times about buying a CX for our bedroom as well. It just looks that good. I won't do it as its not necessary and its a significant amount of money to spend, but its really, REALLY tempting.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I couldn't agree more, I bought a 55" CX back in October (upgraded from a 49" Samsung KS7000) and it's still blowing me away, I couldn't give up the true blacks now. The first time I saw a logo screen and the background was just pure black with no blooming was bliss.

It was a lot to spend but after a year of covid I figured I'd treat myself and get a new TV to go along with my PS5.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Your fear is real. We got a 55" CX back in November and put it in the living room. The 55" 1080p Sony LED that was in the living room went into our bedroom, replacing the 40" that was in there. The problem is I don't want to watch anything available in 4K HDR on the bedroom TV now. I have seriously thought multiple times about buying a CX for our bedroom as well. It just looks that good. I won't do it as its not necessary and its a significant amount of money to spend, but its really, REALLY tempting.

Hah, I made the mistake of buying an LED for the bedroom after getting an OLED in the living room. Been rough bouncing between them.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
My C9 is spectacular, will have it for years to come. Burn in not an issue if you use your set like a sane person.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
My C9 is spectacular, will have it for years to come. Burn in not an issue if you use your set like a sane person.
Yep, especially with newer sets is my understanding. Heck, I shared a Panasonic plasma with two stoner roommates in college who would often fall asleep playing games and don't have a hint of burn in on that set to this day (different tech, I know). One of them passed out with RDR on 360 on all night and nothing came of it.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, I have a LG B7 and a Sony X900E and, while the B7 is obviously superior, I'm still fairly impressed with the quality of my 900E, so the OLED hasn't totally ruined me on other TVs, as long as its a decent LCD with good local dimming and decent brightness. Plus, it's nice to have the LCD for content that may cause me to worry about burn-in, like sports with static images.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
New owner with a question, is there a way to get the TV to turn off after being on its fireworks screensaver for a while? I fell asleep on the couch, and what I believe was over an hour, the fireworks show was still going on. I looked in the options, but I didn't find it (I found auto-turn on / turn off options, but that isn't what I was looking for).

I also need to spend a minute to figure out how to block NewsMax from the list of free internet channels it has pre-set on it.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
pzKLyGg.png

What model is this? I've played hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 on my TV without issue. I have an LG C9. I think if you have a 2019 or above set these issues are not as big of a deal.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made sure to get my CX from costco for the 5 year warranty
Check the fine print. I bought my C8 from them because of the warranty they bundled with it, but said warranty explicitly states it doesn't cover burn-in. I bought my CX from Best Buy because their optional warranty (a cool $1000 for 5 years) was the only one that did.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
What model is this? I've played hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 on my TV without issue. I have an LG C9. I think if you have a 2019 or above set these issues are not as big of a deal.

B6? It's old. I bought it 3,5 years ago now. This started like 2,5 years ago but it didn't bother me that much. Super stupid about me to not reach out to them immediately.

The Destin burn in isn't what I see as strange. It's the mute icon, that MOVES to prevent this. You know it's a bad panel, when that happens.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I was at Costco earlier and of course had to go through the TV section. I was staring at this 85 inch Samsung before my girlfriend yelled over to me to come look at another TV.

It was the 75 inch LG OLED and my mind was blown, it looked incredible. One of these days I'll stop the $3000 on one for my living room.
This is a very similar story to mine. I was set to buy the mid-range Sony X900H and was checking it out at Best Buy, and my wife saw the CX and we instantly fell in love. Spent way more than I was expecting to, but it was worth it.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
So how do you prevent burn in?

Just mix up your content and don't have it on full OLED brightness for SDR content all the time.

On 2017 models and older especially, really try to avoid anything with static coloured logos / elements on the screen for long periods - red and warm colours in particular. Rolling news programmes are generally by far the most common and worst offenders to leave on for long periods with OLEDs. But it is a cumulative effect, so watching for 5 hours on one day is the same as watching for one hour a day over 5 days.

On later models, the red subpixel was beefed up and dynamic logo luminance adjustment was introduced to significantly reduce the risk.

But just use common sense. If you're leaving CNN on for hours every day - don't do it on your OLED.

If it's mainly your nice TV to watch various TV and movies on... you're going to be fine.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
B6? It's old. I bought it 3,5 years ago now. This started like 2,5 years ago but it didn't bother me that much. Super stupid about me to not reach out to them immediately.

The Destin burn in isn't what I see as strange. It's the mute icon, that MOVES to prevent this. You know it's a bad panel, when that happens.

I had a B7 with this issue as well. It drove me crazy because I did everything I could to baby it. Fortunately I bought it from Costco and they were very good about replacing it for me. That's how I landed my C9. The difference in durability is night and day. Personally, I think the B series had a lot of issues. I've used my C series a lot more at this point than my B7 and I have no worries at all about burn in. I have an Apple TV 4k, PS5, Stadia and Switch hooked up to the thing and use it ALL the time. I think whatever changes made in new models design wise have addressed the majority of the burn in problems. Not that you don't have to be mindful, but its a lot harder to ruin these sets if setup correctly.

BTW- Another unspoken issue with the B series is that burn in can happen from the internal components over heating after prolonged use, even without a static image on the screen. This is what happened to mine. I had burn marks not from an image but from the components inside over-heating! :o

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is a fair thing to say to be honest.

Also as mentioned before the 7 series and below were more prone to having burn-in than the current sets.

Far as I know, the C9 generation onwards have a multitude of safe guards built in that prevent the burn in issue.
Also as a general rule of thumb, don't do careless things like leave the TV on overnight on a specific screen. I just turn the thing off if I walk away for more than a couple of minutes. Even then, there is a screen saver built in if the screen is static.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Huh? Why did you waste my 7 minutes of my time with that video as a reply? Nothing about it disputes my point.
Maybe they assumed from the video title without watching it that it was about MiniLEDs surpassing OLEDs in picture quality and not what the video is actually saying; which is that market research firm is projecting MiniLEDs to surpass OLEDs in market share.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
In a few tests, HDTVTest has shown that in game mode, LED based screens have reduced backlight performance whereas OLED looks exactly the same in game mode and non-game mode... That is the reason why to me the LG OLEDs are the most desirable TVs for gamers.
I think this is TV dependent. I have an older Samsung KS9000 and as far as I can tell, there is no degradation in image quality and/or brightness when switching to game mode.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to my next new tv in a few years being a good OLED. Will wait for a price drop and improvements on burn-in concerns in the meantime.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
I plan to get an OLED TV in about 1.5 years which will be the right time for me. Can't wait. Painful wait but I know it will be worth it just looking at the comments and YouTube reviews.

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
Is it worth it for the LG Premium Care Plan? We purchased the CX through Amazon, and I noticed that plan is available when registering the tv on the LG site.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
BTW- Another unspoken issue with the B series is that burn in can happen from the internal components over heating after prolonged use, even without a static image on the screen. This is what happened to mine. I had burn marks not from an image but from the components inside over-heating! :o

Oh, I wonder if that's the strange pattern I can see sometimes.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My only hope is that whatever the next evolution in display tech is starts to make improvements to motion handling.
That's one area where OLED is still very far behind.

Some of the micro LED prototype displays that have been shown, such as Sony's 55" prototype back in 2012, exhibited scanning artifacts when filmed which could imply CRT-like motion handling; but it's probably a result of them not being final production displays.
I recall seeing that in some videos of Samsung's first showing of "The Wall" display too.

Stop putting the blame on the user. It's a failing of the technology.
Don't tell people "oh, you shouldn't have played X or Y on an OLED, you shouldn't have set the brightness within a limit that LG defined, that's your fault".

The only exception I would make, is that you should never buy an OLED for watching televised news. Frankly, they should include warnings about that.
And if you do, you should probably stop watching it anyway, for your mental health.

I think this is TV dependent. I have an older Samsung KS9000 and as far as I can tell, there is no degradation in image quality and/or brightness when switching to game mode.
The KS9000 is an edge-lit display so it doesn't really have high-contrast local dimming performance to lose when you enable game mode, like the full-array local dimming displays do.
It does have a very high native contrast ratio for LCD though, since it lacks a wide-angle filter like most newer models use (but has terrible viewing angles as a result).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Just mix up your content and don't have it on full OLED brightness for SDR content all the time.

On 2017 models and older especially, really try to avoid anything with static coloured logos / elements on the screen for long periods - red and warm colours in particular. Rolling news programmes are generally by far the most common and worst offenders to leave on for long periods with OLEDs. But it is a cumulative effect, so watching for 5 hours on one day is the same as watching for one hour a day over 5 days.

On later models, the red subpixel was beefed up and dynamic logo luminance adjustment was introduced to significantly reduce the risk.

But just use common sense. If you're leaving CNN on for hours every day - don't do it on your OLED.

If it's mainly your nice TV to watch various TV and movies on... you're going to be fine.
If I have to pause a game to like make dinner or something, would it be possible to just turn the TV off to prevent burn in?

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
as someone who has never owned an OLED, but is a big fan of plasma (and still owns one as a gaming TV) is OLED my best option in achieving a similar or better image quality and contrast ratio?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who has never owned an OLED, but is a big fan of plasma (and still owns one as a gaming TV) is OLED my best option in achieving a similar or better image quality and contrast ratio?
Yep, if you're coming from a plasma, you'll want to go with OLED.

BrokenBox

Oct 26, 2017
Really looking forward to getting one this year. Does anyone have a good breakdown or link for the differences between the CX models and this year's refresh? I had really only found the new G1s having Evo panels as the major change.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got my 77" LG CX on Saturday and I'm in love with it. I bought a 75" Samsung Q80T at Black Friday, but I was frustrated and annoyed by a lot of its quirks, so I returned it and got the upgrade. I'm going to have to get darker shades in my living room, but that was the case with any TV I use in here, even that Samsung QLED I just replaced.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have a voltage-tweaked Pioneer 9G Kuro, it's likely that most mid-range to high-end TVs will have better contrast than your current plasma TV.
Neither will have plasma-like motion handling, but that may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective (they gave me migraines).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I want a OLED but the fact sunlight can fuck it up makes me afraid. Though I am still debating between OLED and an ultra short throw projector

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm excited to get a new TV in either 2023 or 24 to see how all of these new features mature and whether mini-led etc will be more prevalent. OLED is nice

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I have the same TV. Theres only 3 zones, I don't think you can compare it to modern TVs which have hundreds or thousands of zones and must be way more computational intensive and are able to drive deeper blacks. I haven't seen an LCD/LED tested in game mode on HDTVTest which hasn't had reduced backlight performance in game mode yet.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
Yeah my brother gave me his b7a lg oled because he didn't want to take it moving to Arizona. I wish I would have never gotten it because now I won't be able to go back to those garbage lcd panels ever again.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
If I have to pause a game to like make dinner or something, would it be possible to just turn the TV off to prevent burn in?

Absolutely.

Chances are unless you happen to pause the same game in the same place with the same things on screen on a regular basis, it isn't strictly necessary. Plus you'll have the screensaver / ABL / logo luminance adjustment all at your disposal.

But if you really want to be sure, there's no harm in just turning it off - always the best way to preserve the display! :)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly an so happy as well OP. I don't think I'll be buying a new tv for a long ass while unless this one breaks down. Pair your tv with a dope sound system if you can(slowly build it up) and you'll never look back