• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So this... is not a feature i expected to see in a narrative interactive game

First up, some details. We've announced two multiplayer modes for The Dark Pictures Anthology — Shared Story mode and Movie Night mode. In Shared Story you'll play online with a friend, making choices that affect both of you. We really hope you enjoy the intensity of experiencing the story with a friend… and that you are still friends after!
48251088626_5c7316b859_h.jpg

In Movie night mode, five people (you and up to four of your friends) can play couch co-op. Each player can enter their name and choose which character (or characters) to play, then simply pass the pad whenever that character is the focus of the game. You can explore, react, and make decisions to keep your character alive and stay in the game. When prompted, simply pass the controller onto the next player so that they can continue with their character. Periodically, the game will present a summary of how each player has played. We were so impressed by the innovative and collaborative ways people played Until Dawn together that we created this feature to help facilitate that way of playing.
48251088726_043b5f86e4_h.jpg

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I can see Movie Night mode becoming a fantastic hit on YouTube.

Would love to see the full gang from Video Games Awesome play something like that mode.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Good as optional modes, but as long as they include a standard single player mode as well. I'm all good.

Movie Night mode sounds like the logical conclusion as to how I (and most people I know) played Until Dawn.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, movie night mode is basically what we did for Until Dawn, it's super cool to see it supported ingame. Definitely a day one purchase for me, already telling my friends to book their evening.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both sound awesome.

I'll probably play it in Movie Night mode, just because that's likely how I'll play with my GF and maybe some additional people, but I do really love the idea of neither player in the online mode having complete information.

I do wonder if the story can be satisfying in the online mode given that no one is seeing a full story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this is exactly how I played Until Dawn with people. Props to them for doing this, it's a great selling point.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great! Will be playing movie night mode with 2 friends. Still can't believe this is a budget release.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea of what the game length might be ?

Until Dawn was a nice meaty experience, but Hidden Agenda was barely 2, 3 hours.

I want more of the former, not the later.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I played Until Dawn with my brother and sister, each of us taking control of certain characters, it's an amazing way to play

Edit: A ton of people played this way apparently, that's awesome

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty awesome idea, looking forward to gathering some people when this hits.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Unexpected, but honestly both sound like good optional additions. It also shows me they got across part of the fun of the original Until Dawn was people liked sharing the experience with others in a session. Happy Movie Mode can now make how many people played Until Dawn work officially online as well and not just offline too, which is a great idea. Curious if the co-op mode is a completely separate thing since it seems to run simultaneously, as if things made specifically for that mode?

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds kind of awesome. I was expecting this to be much smaller and safer since it doesn't have first party backing, but I'm happy to see them still wanting to push things further instead of just making Until Dawn 2 but with a different name.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the story can't be worse than A Way Out's. I may keep an eye on it as I enjoy multiplayer narrative adventures.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It looks interesting, this is just PS?

May 17, 2018
Glad there are options, unlike A Way Out.

I don't know anyone who owns AWO so, when I tried to matchmake on Origin Access, since no one was playing it, I was SOL.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Movie mode reminds me of Hidden Agenda. I can see why they implemented this with this game.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Movie Night sounds like how I played Until Dawn. Perfect for these narrative games with multiple playable characters.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Until Dawn is one of my GOTG, and they seem to be improving upon the formula

This game sounds crazy fun. Me and my friends will have a blast.

"A Way Out" multiplayer was awesome, seeing something akin to that here is amazing

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The movie night mode sounds awesome. I'll definitely play that way with my girlfriend when we run through it.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I'm lucky to get 1 "friend" on board lmao. Interesting to say the least. I quite liked Until Dawn as a one and done deal, but this game is going to be episodic right? I'd rather wait till it is complete.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm lucky to get 1 "friend" on board lmao. Interesting to say the least. I quite liked Until Dawn as a one and done deal, but this game is going to be episodic right? I'd rather wait till it is complete.

It isn't episodic they're full standalone games. Each one is based on a different horror story.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Oh like an anthology?? Hmmm I see. I need to re-google.

Edit:
B bb but full price as well??

Yeah that's right, I'm not sure if it'll be the same people playing different characters in the other games or anything but they are standalone storywise. This one is based on a story called the Ourang Medan.

It costs £23 here. Which is about half the price of other games at launch.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The Movie Night mode was exactly how we played Until Dawn. My 2 friends and I rented it and spent the afternoon playing through it, have assigned characters we were all in charge of. Made for a fun experience when we knew someone might go rogue and decide it was time for their character to die.

I hope this mode also works online.