• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
After watching the first hour or so on YouTube, I wasn't really feeling it. Seemed less polished and more rushed than Until Dawn, on top of kinda retreading the same structure almost exactly.

Hopefully the anthology will improve over time.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I was literally hovering over the pre-order button before seeing the reviews. Still sounds like it would be a decent pastime, but not in a rush now and will wait for discounts. Phew.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
oh man that sucks. i was looking forward to this as well. Isn't this going to be a series of different stories or something?

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
The Giant Bomb quick looks exactly what I hoped for. Hopefully, they can patch some of the small issue but this will be a fun game to play with my wife and friends. Super excited to see more from this series.

Visuwell

Jan 22, 2019
I think we should take these reviews with a grain of salt or be cautious at the very least.... Until Dawn, for me one of the most fun games of this generation, only has an open critic of 79...its likely gonna turn on whether you liked until dawn. If you did, you'll probably like Man of Medan. If not, we'll then your opinion will likely stay the same. I think this will be a blast to play with my Gf!

Feb 10, 2018
Lol, scores 10pts less then control, and remedy can only get better but super massive gamers are all downhill.
The double standards are halarious.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Good start for SuperMassive.

This is a medium budget title, and it's is the first game of 8, so I fully expect things to only get better.

Can't wait to play it and I can't wait to see what the next game will be about.

Mendoza

Oct 29, 2017
Columbus
I'm not surprised. I know people enjoyed Until Dawn, but it was rooted in B-Movie schlock. Did you all think that the corny dialogue in Until Dawn was intentional? I honestly think that they were being earnest in the writing, and it shows now that the subject material in Man of Medan has to live up to the serious tone. No more slasher horror trash dialogue defense anymore, guys. This is what it's always been.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
How is 5 player different from Single player just passing the controller over when a new character is controlled?

Pretty much, yeah.

You all pick a character and control swap when you're up. I can see that being quite fun, one players actions could affect another players character and what happens to them, should make things a little bit more tense. Hopefully not Monopoly level brawls will break out!!

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished this game three times now. In all three of my playthroughs I experienced tons of frame drops, out of sync animations/dialogue, a couple of crashes and other technical issues.

It really sucked the fun out of this game.

Uhhh. This is not what i wanted to hear. I loved until dawn and was looking forward to this to play with my wife. Hopeful there's a patch soon...

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about the reviews, but this gives me more time to finish Control before Gears comes out next Friday. Maybe I'll dip into this at Halloween

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. I know people enjoyed Until Dawn, but it was rooted in B-Movie schlock. Did you all think that the corny dialogue in Until Dawn was intentional? I honestly think that they were being earnest in the writing, and it shows now that the subject material in Man of Medan has to live up to the serious tone. No more slasher horror trash dialogue defense anymore, guys. This is what it's always been.
Nah they're self aware of the b-movie roots with UD, they should get back to that tone lrobably

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Uhhh. This is not what i wanted to hear. I loved until dawn and was looking forward to this to play with my wife. Hopeful there's a patch soon...
Checking the update history on my PS4, there's already been two patches to improve these issues but they still exist.

Hopefully a patch or two will eliminate most of the issues.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I really liked it. My first run was very frustrating, because I lost three characters only because I missed one QTE for each one. Then, I looked at options and it really improved the game. I also played it with friends.

Now I'm at 17 hours according to Steam and I haven't finished yet. I really enjoyed the game and all the possibilities it has (I just found another ending in my last playthrought). It's probably the most interactive video game ever made, because everyone can die at any time (my first character died when I was at less than 30% of the game). I saw a lot of critisism about writting, but personaly I liked it, especially the story (but it's impossible to explain why without spoil it).

And it has so much content. You can play in single player, local multiplayer or online multiplayer. You can play with the movie cut or with the curator's cut. Each playthrought, each way to play it is really different.

I'm still sad about those QTE, but with the right options, it's one of the best narrative game ever made. Play it if you like this kind of game.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Until Dawn was one of my favorite games the year it came out. Looking back it reviewed similarly to this game. Lots of people REALLY liked it, but other did not / were more moderate

Edge 7
USgamer 3.5/5
Destructoid 7
Polygon 6.5
The Escapist 6

But people REALLY liked it still.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Checking the update history on my PS4, there's already been two patches to improve these issues but they still exist.

Hopefully a patch or two will eliminate most of the issues.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold off until then. Until Dawn dropped in price pretty quickly and I suspect this will also...

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
fd938c5141dd45bf7056150a3e9a89a6.png
Well, damn. Guess I'll be skipping it then. Supermassive is to Sony, what Sakaguchi is to Square. The Ones That Got Away but didn't do particularly great when they left
Games reviewers were mixed on Until Dawn too. I need to see the game for myself.
Until Dawn had like an 82 for a good while and recently dropped at 79, iirc. Wasn't as mixed

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So I didn't write up a review, but:

This is one of the most empty, boring and all around nothing games I have ever played. There is little to no story being told. The characters have no progression or development. The few significant decisions there are sometimes lead to direct contradictions in the following scenes (Once, I saved a dude who could have died, but somehow he joined the group along with 2 people he never met in my playthrough). The writing is abysmal, the directing amateur hour and the game is rife with technical problems on the PS4 Pro, with constant framerate dips and freezes. A focus on multiplayer leads to you missing out on seemingly important scenes in single player sometimes and having to walk through the same drab, samey ship hallways other times.

It's only about 5 or 6 hours (I should add that I'm purely guessing here) but it felt like 20 playing through it, because so little of note happens.
Can you comment on the length of the "movie night" mode?