• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
IGN - 7

It's not easy to keep everyone alive in Man of Medan, and you won't necessarily want to, especially in 2-player co-op.G

Gamespot - 6

Man of Medan is a thinner, flawed follow-up to Until Dawn that is saved by its online co-op mode.

USGamer - 3/5

With Man of Medan, Supermassive builds on the foundation established in 2015's Until Dawn. While the core of the game remains the same, driven by dialog, choices, and quick-time events, the developers has added some multiplayer action to the mix. The two-player online Shared Story is the primary highlight here, allowing two players to simultaneously determine the course of the story. Unfortunately, the story itself isn't as good as the horror yarn spun in Until Dawn.

Destructoid - 7

Supermassive Games is quickly proving that they have a knack for high budget adventure projects that many studios simply do not. I have no idea when the next "Dark Pictures universe" entry is coming, but I'll be waiting for it.

GamesBeat - 88
I think this is much more fun and takes advantage of the fundamentally social nature of the choose-your-adventure style gameplay in Man of Medan.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
So I didn't write up a review, but:

This is one of the most empty, boring and all around nothing games I have ever played. There is little to no story being told. The characters have no progression or development. The few significant decisions there are sometimes lead to direct contradictions in the following scenes (Once, I saved a dude who could have died, but somehow he joined the group along with 2 people he never met in my playthrough). The writing is abysmal, the directing amateur hour and the game is rife with technical problems on the PS4 Pro, with constant framerate dips and freezes. A focus on multiplayer leads to you missing out on seemingly important scenes in single player sometimes and having to walk through the same drab, samey ship hallways other times.

It's only about 5 or 6 hours (I should add that I'm purely guessing here) but it felt like 20 playing through it, because so little of note happens.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
More like Man of Meh, amirite?!?

I loved Until Dawn, so I'll try this. On sale. Hope they get another big gig with Sony again, though. Until Dawn 2 (new cast? new horror tropes?) needs to happen on PS5.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the most empty, boring and all around nothing games I have ever played. There is little to no story being told. The characters have no progression or development. The few significant decisions there are sometimes lead to direct contradictions in the following scenes (Once, I saved a dude who could have died, but somehow he joined the group along with 2 people he never met in my playthrough). The writing is abysmal, the directing amateur hour and the game is rife with technical problems on the PS4 Pro, with constant framerate dips and freezes.

It's only about 5 or 6 hours but it felt like 20 playing through it, because so little of note happens.

Lol damn. I was kinda looking forward to this. Hopefully their next iteration from this anthology is better.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've finished this game three times now. In all three of my playthroughs I experienced tons of frame drops, out of sync animations/dialogue, a couple of crashes and other technical issues.

It really sucked the fun out of this game.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, had hopes for this one but hearing the story is bad is kind if a nail in the coffin if this game for me

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
Does this game have any online co-op on PS4 Using share play Or does it require two copies?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If it can get just one more point on Metacritic, it'll be as good as Days Gone!

Shame it's not another home run like Until Dawn. Wish we got a sequel to that with the same writing team.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Oh my God why! With their talent it seemed like a shoe in that they would only build upon their success! Lesson learned about pre ordering even from reputable developers.

Dec 6, 2017
US

This is one of the most empty, boring and all around nothing games I have ever played. There is little to no story being told. The characters have no progression or development. The few significant decisions there are sometimes lead to direct contradictions in the following scenes (Once, I saved a dude who could have died, but somehow he joined the group along with 2 people he never met in my playthrough). The writing is abysmal, the directing amateur hour and the game is rife with technical problems on the PS4 Pro, with constant framerate dips and freezes. A focus on multiplayer leads to you missing out on seemingly important scenes in single player sometimes and having to walk through the same drab, samey ship hallways other times.

It's only about 5 or 6 hours but it felt like 20 playing through it, because so little of note happens.

Ew.

Nov 28, 2017
Bummer.
I did preorder, my wife and I loved Until Dawn, so hopefully we will get some fun out of this.
At least it's only $30, so I'm a bit less upset.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I'm a huge HUGE fan of Until Dawn but the more followup output I see from them, the more I'm convinced that an essential part of what made UD work was Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick's screenplay which allowed the perfect survey of a whole collection of horror movie tropes and then solved elegantly how they could all be packed together into one game as it unfolded.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
oh I was very looking forward to this.

Is this getting a free app for playing with a friend (like A Way Out) or do both people need to buy the game?

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
The string of unremarkable, mediocre games continues for Supermassive, sadly. The Inpatient was a massive disappointment. Hidden Agenda was no good. The problem has been poor writing, which is essentially in a narrative game such as Until Dawn.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I love Supermassive, so I'll be buying this no matter what. I'm disappointed in their focus on smaller, couch multiplayer games though. They need to pivot towards longer narratives.

Oct 27, 2017
I expected this to be a return to form after all those bad titles. What happened to supermassive? Maybe important talent left the studio after Until Dawn?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Until dawn was a terrible game, but it had enough cheese to still be fun. Not surprised that this one sucks, too.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Yeah slightly tough reviews so far.
For some reason the concept and footage released never grabbed me like Until Dawn; plus the game seemed a bit of a technical mess with lip syncing and framerate.

I'll probably play this in a year once all the stories are released and the game is hopefully fixed up.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews seem pretty mixed but I already got it preloaded on my PS4 pro. $30 for something I can enjoy with friends as a group isn't bad imo

Was expecting cheese but the tech issues do bum me out. Another game not running well even on the refreshed consoles - yikes

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. Especially the stuff about technical issues on the Pro as I only have the regular.

I already pre-ordered the game digitally though, so I'll be playing it regardless. I'm not expecting Until Dawn but I hope I like it regardless.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer...reviews not as good as I was hoping, but still not bad? My girlfriend and I loved Until Dawn and we'll play through this new one together as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea it has online co-op, could be a blast to pick up on a sale and play after a few beers. Shame it doesn't reach the greatness of Until Dawn though.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Hmm, was hoping for more, but I preordered as Until Dawn was one of the only games my wife has played through with me and I could probably get her to sit down for another horror adventure, so I'm in for the haul I guess. Granted I got it pretty cheap on PC, so if I'm out like $24 then so be it. Hopefully tech issues are either resolved eventually, or are not present on PC?

Also Until Dawn was not some highly praised work of art either like some seem to be suggesting, so I'm interested in forming my own take on this one anyway lol. Still, was hoping to see reviews grounded a little higher than they are currently.