• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I decided to play this game after barely starting it two and a half years ago. It was running at 60 fps when I was playing it all day yesterday and this morning. After doing some reading last night, it seemed like every post and discussion claimed it the game was 30 fps except for this thread on Reddit:

Wondering if there was some sort of more recent patch that unlocked it, I inquired here on the Enhancement thread but people state that it's accurate to be 30 fps. So deciding to do some testing on my end, I tried playing it on my One X, and sure enough it was 30 there but because of the steps I took, I somehow lost the 60 fps mode on my Series X and now I want it back after having played most of the game that way. Let's see if we can figure out how the bug/glitch works to enable it.

Here's more details on what my situation was that maybe can give some insight as what happened.

So I last played the game on 10/15/19 on my Xbox One X. At the time, it was from a physical disc version. I got through pretty much the prologue and that was it at the time.

Fast forward to today, I now have a Series X and have the game installed on an external hard drive. I'm not sure if I copied it over to that drive after I got my Series X, redownloaded it, or it was originally stored like that on the drive and just plugged it into my Series X. So how it got there is unclear but maybe it makes no difference. The game has been updated on that drive despite never playing it on the system before. Since I last played it however, I have purchased the game digitally so now I no longer need the disc. I don't think factor should matter since Xbox treats the physical install and the digital version as the same thing and simply buying the game digitally lets you play your physical install without the disc.

Booting the game for the first time on my Series X did clearly do some sort of processing as booting a game for the first time often does on the system since it's not instant. Also I recall a couple times it complained it was taking too long to start and errored out. Oh one other thing, I was downloading a game at the time when I first launched it. After it finally booted, it pulled down my save from the cloud and when I started the game I was now at the dock with the two brothers in modern day and the game was running at 60 fps. I played it for a few hours yesterday and it was always running at 60 fps aside from some minor framerate hiccups on occasion. There were a few instances where I accidentally hit the wrong button or made a choice I realized I should have made differently and tried to quit the game immediately and start again to see if I could change my choice so it wasn't simply because it was running that one instance that allowed it to be 60 fps. You could kill game and start it fresh and it would still be there.

It wasn't until trying to sanity check myself because everyone was saying it was most certainly 30 fps and I could be mistaken because of the camera being static that I lost this ability. I did a full shut down of my Series X in order to plug in my One X to the same connections just to make sure it was on the same input, same cables, same install of the game, etc. Since I had not used my One X since I got the Series X, it had about 4GB of updates to the system before I could even boot it. Once the system was updated, I launched the game, it pulled down my save and yep sure enough it was 30 fps on the One X and I knew for a fact I wasn't seeing things then. So I unplugged everything, hooked everything up to the Series X again. This time when it tried to load from a Quick Resume, it complained that the save data was out of date and the game would need to shut down and reload. It was at that point that the game was now running for the first time at 30 fps on my Series X. So either the full shut down, or the transfer of the save data between systems has made it so the game no longer runs at 60 fps for me anymore.

My initial guess was something about the save file being older and then transferred to playing in a much more updated version of the game glitched it into being 60 fps. But I would think that the game saving would have removed that the first time it saved but clearly I was able to quit and restart the game, reload the save and it would still be there. I also can't imagine what saving on the One X would do to remove it either since you'd think the save would work the same on either platform. I also can't imagine what the cloud transfer would do to change the behavior either.

So now I'm at a loss at how I invoked this glitch. But between that Reddit thread, someone in the other thread saying they saw the glitch too and me doing the comparison to know what I was seeing wasn't 30 fps on my Series X initially, I'm pretty confident there is some way to glitch the game into a higher framerate. Before anyone insists that I was mistaken about what I saw, that is absolutely not the case and I wish I did a video capture of it at the time. I can absolutely tell the difference between 30 and 60 instantly and it was clear as day when comparing it to all the various YouTube videos of the game and comparing it to how it ran on the One X and now how it's running on the Series X for me. The game absolutely was running at a higher than 30 fps framerate.

For details of what I'm using, I have an Xbox Series X, two external HDDs with the game installed on a 4TB WD external 2.5" drive, all the video options enabled except for Dolby Vision for Gaming in the settings, and the game running on a 48" LG C1. I have verified there is no motion interpolation enabled and the TV settings is set to Game Mode. Besides motion interpolation wouldn't suddenly make the One X and Series X look 30 fps without any changes. When I hooked up the One X it was with the same cables and same input on the TV.

This glitch absolutely exists so it's a question of what causes it and I'm hopeful the community here can come together to help figure out how to make it happen.

Edit:

Figured it out!

If you play the game and pick up Fliss' license on her boat shortly after you get out to sea, it'll unlock the framerate to 60 fps. This works with a fully patched digital version. It also sounds like picking up certain other objects can trigger this too but it's not just any object. Here's video proof:

Edit 2:

Sounds like it works on PS5 too based on Het_Nkik's experience using the same technique

Edit 3:

Here's another point which looks like you can trigger it earlier in the game. Again, thanks to Kolle for linking this:

Edit 4:

A good trick is if you start a new game, and then quit right after you pick up the letter from the video in Edit 3, you can always just load this save file to trigger it and then quit back to the main menu and continue on with your main save. It's just a nice quick easy access to the trigger by having that second save around.

Edit 5:

Confirmed personally that it works on the PS5 as well while playing single player.

Last edited:

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything that actually told you the framerate or were you just eyeballing it?

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Was there anything that actually told you the framerate or were you just eyeballing it?

I was eyeballing it which is why I regret not doing a video capture at the time as evidence but what I'm playing now is absolutely a dramatic difference from what I was playing earlier before I swapped out my Series X for the One X. What I see now is clearly 30 fps unlike earlier and yesterday.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
lol without a detailed read out or some real numbers pulled from your own direct feed footage, I'm gonna say that you might not know what you're talking about/your TV has interpolation on

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
lol without a detailed read out or some real numbers pulled from your own direct feed footage, I'm gonna say that you might not know what you're talking about/your TV has interpolation on

No, I verified that motion interpolation was off. In fact, it's not even possible to turn it on when Game Mode is activated because that option is greyed out. I know what I'm talking about and I know what I saw. I can't stand motion interpolation and it's one of the first things I turn off on a set. This absolutely wasn't motion interpolation and motion interpolation would not make it look like the way it did because of how inconsistent motion interpolation can look.

Edit: Just for kicks I disabled game mode and forced motion interpolation on. That absolutely was not what I was playing yesterday and this morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to bet that the game has been 30 fps the whole time…

Why would it suddenly be obviously different when I plugged in my One X and now on my Series X? If it was 30 fps the whole time I wouldn't have seen such a jarring difference and I made sure to play some before swapping the two out. It absolutely was not running the same framerate as before; there's a pretty distinct difference. I don't have an issue with spotting the difference between 30 and 60; it's plainly instantly obvious to me so it really is not me being mistaken about this.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
You can try and install the from disk to an external HDD, that way its not patched. If at any point it was 60 fps for whatever glitch, then the unpatched version should be it.

set the system offline if needed, I dont really know how series consoles handle BC.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You can try and install the from disk to an external HDD, that way its not patched. If at any point it was 60 fps for whatever glitch, then the unpatched version should be it.

set the system offline if needed, I dont really know how series consoles handle BC.

Ya, I'm thinking of trying to recreate the whole setup. It's going to be a long process to verify unfortunately. The weird thing is the game was patched on the Series X as far as I know but I'm going to try to install it on my One X offline, delete my save file from the cloud, start a game and get to where I was. Go online so the save file could be uploaded, and then try to pull that down on my Series X and see what happens.

The logical reasoning would be unlocked framerate on an unpatched game, but I don't believe that's the case here and something about the save data is what's lingering in my mind. I wonder if I need to uninstall it from my Series X too and reinstall it. Each permutation is going to take time.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I don't think it was a recent update because I had the same experience when it launched on gamepass. I could replicate it all the time in a scene on the big ship, the game started in 30 fps and when I picked up a letter to inspect it in a specific room the framerate unlocked.

So you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 with your own eyes?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm very interested in knowing the answer to this. I absolutely want to play Man of Median at 60fps on Xbox Series X.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I decided to try an easier first test.

First thing I did was unplug my external drives, pop the disc in and install it to the internal SSD of the Series X to play unpatched. It's version 1.0.0.5 is what is listed after the install. I had to briefly connect online for it to launch but immediately turned off the network connection afterward. After it launched, it said it needed to be updated and it quit out but launching it again allowed it to launch without being patched and the network turned off.

Once in the main menu of the game, it would crash trying to load my current save. That makes sense since it's a save file tied to a newer version of the game. The patched version is 1.0.0.16. I tried this twice to verify the behavior and each time it crashed when trying to continue. It did see the things I had currently unlocked before entering the game. So because of this, I quit out, deleted my save file locally since I knew it was stored in the cloud, and booted the game. The game ran at 30 fps, unpatched. I played through the entire intro before quitting so now I have a save file when you meet I guess the curator.

So unpatched on Series X isn't what does it for 60 fps. Now I have two options to try. I can either leave the external drives disconnected and try to update the one on the SSD and then see what happens, or I can try to plug in the external drive with the patched version and try to play. There's a couple issues that I'm unclear on though.

First, if I try to play the instance off the external drive, can it pull the save file from the instance on the internal drive? I thought about uninstalling the internal first but I think that's going to wipe out that save file if I do. Second, I don't think my Series X is the home console, so I think that presents a problem with me launching the one on the external drive or will having the disc in the console allow me to launch that instance? Third, if I have to go online to verify, how do I avoid overwriting my save file in the cloud with the one I just created?

Anyone got a suggestion on which way I should proceed next with testing? Heh, I probably should have at least finished my first run through before trying all this but even then I'd probably have to lose my save file in order to test the different permutations.

I don't think it was a recent update because I had the same experience when it launched on gamepass. I could replicate it all the time in a scene on the big ship, the game started in 30 fps and when I picked up a letter to inspect it in a specific room the framerate unlocked.

Wait, are you saying you know of a point where if you reach a certain scene and inspect that letter, it will always unlock the framerate? Do you know when and where that is?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Did this stop working for you? Or you haven't tested?

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I got it to 60 fps again!!!

Okay, not sure how much of this is necessary but this is what I did.

1) Go offline

2) Installed unpatched version from disc

3) Play through the prologue

4) Quit

5) Plug in external drive again

6) Uninstall version from internal SSD

7) Go temporarily online to launch game

8) Immediately go offline again to make sure it doesn't try anything with the cloud save

9) Play the boat sequence until you leave the dock

10) Once you can walk around, go pick up Fliss's license

It's now at 60 fps.

I'm sure you can bypass the whole online/offline stuff, but that was to avoid overwriting my save file stuff. I should try to limit some of that stuff like seeing if I can start the game with the patched version and do those steps and it still unlocks the framerate.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I should clarify that I'm looking to get 60fps on the digital version. I know that's less likely, but good looks if someone figures that out.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify that I'm looking to get 60fps on the digital version. I know that's less likely, but good looks if someone figures that out.

I was originally playing on the digital version. I only pulled out the disc to try using an older version. I'm pretty sure I can pop out the disc now and it'll work just fine.

The next test would be to start from the patched version, digital only, and get to that point and see if it's 60 fps.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I just frame stepped a video and there's clearly unique frames 60 times a second. Anyone know where I can upload the video for people to see?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Really interesting lol. A lot of work for what I remember being a pretty dreadful 3/10 game when I played it upon release haha

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Wait, are you saying you know of a point where if you reach a certain scene and inspect that letter, it will always unlock the framerate? Do you know when and where that is?

Yeah, had to look up a playthrough because it has been a while but found it.
Picking up the letter at 9:35 always unlocked the framerate for me and I was able to replicate it like this all the time back then.
Restart the game ->30 fps, picking up the letter -> unlocked fps, restart the game ->30 fps, picking up the letter -> unlocked fps..

Did this stop working for you? Or you haven't tested?
The last time I played the game was back in October where it still worked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, here's YouTube proof:

Really interesting lol. A lot of work for what I remember being a pretty dreadful 3/10 game when I played it upon release haha

Heh, I think I only got really determined when people insisted I couldn't tell the difference between 60 and 30 and insisted I probably had motion interpolation on.

Yeah, had to look up a playthrough because it has been a while but found it.
Picking up the letter at 9:35 always unlocked the framerate for me and I was able to replicate it like this all the time back then.
Restart the game ->30 fps, picking up the letter -> unlocked fps, restart the game ->30 fps, picking up the letter -> unlocked fps..

The last time I played the game was back in October where i still worked.

Good to know! It was because of you that helped me figure it out because I decided to just start picking up everything to see if it would trigger it. So thanks a lot for the help!

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019

So you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 with your own eyes?
I can, but I also know people who think they can and absolutely cannot, so we pull up the frame counters before we can really talk about anything

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, tested digital version, patched to 1.0.0.16, and deleted save file so I start from scratch. I played through to the point where I pick up Fliss' license and it switches to 60 fps. That seems to be the trick and it sounds like picking up certain other objects can do it too. Thanks again to Kolle for giving me the idea of what to check out otherwise I probably wouldn't have found it so quick.

Good job, OP. No idea why people were lowkey being assholes to you about this.

Props for figuring it out Darknight

Now we just need Supermassive to patch it so it starts out at 60fps.

kind of the default state of interenet interpersonal interaction (aka int-int-int) these days

Thanks!

I kinda get it though. There's plenty of people who make false claims about framerate and when you start the game it's not immediately at 60 and it takes a little bit with a specific trigger to enable it. Combine that with pretty much nobody talking about it before after all this time, I can understand the doubt.

I'm just glad I was able to figure it out reasonably quick cuz it was driving me nuts that almost nobody else had seen this before.

I can, but I also know people who think they can and absolutely cannot, so we pull up the frame counters before we can really talk about anything

Okay, and now that I figured out how to trigger it and supplied video proof?

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny you made this thread because my friend and I were playing the game co-op on PS5 last weekend and encountered the same glitch. It seemed to trigger when player 2 picked up a letter in the brig at the beginning of the game. It's interesting because player 2 picking up the letter unlocked the framerate for both of us.

It lasted until we closed the game completely (we could still back out to main menu and chapter select and keep it), and we could duplicate it by starting a new game and picking up the letter again.

60fps seemed to cause a few bugs in the game, though.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Okay, tested digital version, patched to 1.0.0.16, and deleted save file so I start from scratch. I played through to the point where I pick up Fliss' license and it switches to 60 fps. That seems to be the trick and it sounds like picking up certain other objects can do it too. Thanks again to Kolle for giving me the idea of what to check out otherwise I probably wouldn't have found it so quick.

Thanks!

I kinda get it though. There's plenty of people who make false claims about framerate and when you start the game it's not immediately at 60 and it takes a little bit with a specific trigger to enable it. Combine that with pretty much nobody talking about it before after all this time, I can understand the doubt.

I'm just glad I was able to figure it out reasonably quick cuz it was driving me nuts that almost nobody else had seen this before.

Amazing detective work. Seriously, great job.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019

I eat crow and congratulate you on going deep to actually solve the mystery! Being sent on wild goose chases in QA conditioned me not to believe what I couldn't see without decent or reproducable evidence (lest we waste a ton of time, etc,) so I'm beyond willing to apologize for being dismissive and pretty rude, and I'm curious to see if anything interesting comes out of it all.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Yep posted in the other thread but looks like picking up a viewable object triggers the game to run at a higher framerate. On Series X it's not at a constant 60fps since it does dip but definitely better on the whole than 30fps mode.

Pretty interesting glitch maybe worth a mention in the Digital Foundry podcast Dark1x & Dictator? Perhaps this can lead Bandai Namco/Super Massive to patch it to 60fps on Series X & PS5.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, new trick. Based on picking up that paper very early in the game while you're in the prologue, right after you free your friend, that will trigger it and you can keep a separate save file with that point. Once you exit out, everything still remains 60 and you can load up any other save file and it will retain the framerate. So it's an easy way to quickly trigger it in case you somehow lose the framerate switch. My more advance save is now running at 60 fps because of this. I'll edit the OP with that info.

I eat crow and congratulate you on going deep to actually solve the mystery! Being sent on wild goose chases in QA conditioned me not to believe what I couldn't see without decent or reproducable evidence (lest we waste a ton of time, etc,) so I'm beyond willing to apologize for being dismissive and pretty rude, and I'm curious to see if anything interesting comes out of it all.

Appreciate you being humble about it and I understand the hesitation. You don't know who I am, or what I know or don't know so there's no reason to just believe me without evidence.

Yep posted in the other thread but looks like picking up a viewable object triggers the game to run at a higher framerate. On Series X it's not not 100% always at 60fps since it dips but definitely better on the whole.

Pretty interesting glitch maybe worth a mention in the Digital Foundry podcast Dark1x & Dictator? Perhaps this can lead Bandai Namco/Super Massive to patch it to 60fps on Series X & PS5.

Yep, I was planning on pinging Dark1x after I figured out some more details on it.

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

Thanks!

Thanks for testing the digital Xbox version! Good news.

I hope Supermassive can come through with a patch for the earlier entries in The Dark Pictures Anthology.

And another request if mine from a patch, as it doesn't seem currently possible, is achievements for all players during local co-op. Currently achievements for both players only seems possible for online co-op.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Just confirmed the glitch definitely works in single player on the PS5. I'll have the OP updated and the thread title updated as well.

Thanks for testing the digital Xbox version! Good news.

I hope Supermassive can come through with a patch for the earlier entries in The Dark Pictures Anthology.

And another request if mine from a patch, as it doesn't seem currently possible, is achievements for all players during local co-op. Currently achievements for both players only seems possible for online co-op.

Ya, no prob. I'm surprised it wasn't enabled when they patched it in March 2021.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
A bit off topic, but the only other framerate glitch I've heard of similar to this is a Reddit post mentioning you can glitch Arkham City on Xbox into running at 60FPS by firing and restarting. But I've just spent ten minutes trying and no luck. I'm not sure if it's a troll topic or not be here's the link:

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
A lot of people being really annoying to OP for absolutely no reason. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 and can confirm that I triggered this glitch almost a year ago. It was the Xbox digital version, btw.

Last edited:

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
So can someone explain/reasonably theorize why picking up an object would trigger this? I'm so legitimately fascinated by this. This is the type of tall tale you would hear on playgrounds in grade school when talking about secrets in games (except that it's actually true, good job OP on hunting this down).

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Nice one OP!

Do Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered next lol, on Series S it's 30fps but if you pause and unpause it goes 60fps for a moment before locking again

give-me-give-it-to-me-now.gif

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
A bit off topic, but the only other framerate glitch I've heard of similar to this is a Reddit post mentioning you can glitch Arkham City on Xbox into running at 60FPS by firing and restarting. But I've just spent ten minutes trying and no luck. I'm not sure if it's a troll topic or not be here's the link:

Heh that one sounds more random and frustrating to invoke if it's true. Maybe I'll give that one a shot just out of curiosity.

So can someone explain/reasonably theorize why picking up an object would trigger this? I'm so legitimately fascinated by this. This is the type of tall tale you would hear on playgrounds in grade school when talking about secrets in games (except that it's actually true, good job OP on hunting this down).

I've been trying to think of why this happens myself as it's so odd. Maybe there's some framerate limiter in the code but when you pick up certain objects and it goes down that code path, it somehow either overwrites the variable that stores the framerate limit, or corrupts it, or even forgets to set it so the value gets reset. Just throwing a random idea out there without knowing how their code base is setup.

What really seems strange to me is this has been available for awhile and it's easy to randomly trigger it since all you have to do is pick up certain objects, so why is this relatively unknown? Clearly some people have stumbled upon it but you'd think more would have by now since it's a huge jump in performance. I guess maybe since it came out before Series X and PS5, most played it on last gen hardware, and since it seems like a lot of people didn't care for it, not many played it on the newer systems which is why it wasn't widely known

Does this work on all the games in the collection?

I just downloaded Little Hope overnight to start that next and it already seems to be mostly 60 fps out of the box on Series X. There certainly were some framerate dips in the opening sequences, and I've barely started it before replying to this, but it doesn't seem like it's needed? I know House of Ashes has a Series X version so probably not needed there either.

Is there a reason you think something needs to be done to improve the framerate?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I just downloaded Little Hope overnight to start that next and it already seems to be mostly 60 fps out of the box on Series X. There certainly were some framerate dips in the opening sequences, and I've barely started it before replying to this, but it doesn't seem like it's needed? I know House of Ashes has a Series X version so probably not needed there either.

Is there a reason you think something needs to be done to improve the framerate?

Thanks, might grab the second game, and that's why I was curious. Haven't bought it yet. I only grabbed the first game on sale and have yet to finish it. I also take it you don't have a VRR TV, because I'm assuming that should iron out any frame drops for me.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, might grab the second game, and that's why I was curious. Haven't bought it yet. I only grabbed the first game on sale and have yet to finish it. I also take it you don't have a VRR TV, because I'm assuming that should iron out any frame drops for me.

Ah, thought you knew of something specific. Got it now. I do have a VRR TV, but that didn't seem to iron it out. It's probably because the dips went too low in performance, and I think even with VRR, drastic changes in framerates will still be noticeable. They would only be brief though and so far it was in a non interactive sequence that I saw it in. I'll know more when I play it later.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I must've picked up the letter because I remember this game being 60 FPS on PS5.

I double dipped (own them on PC too) the other two because I assumed they had enhancement patches. Lol. Oh well.