• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not that I believe this entire scenario is true for a second, but his deceased wife's parents didn't give just him the house after her death and let him stay there. It was a gift to creepy dad and his first wife, presumably as a wedding present or something. They would have had no way of knowing their daughter would tragically die so young.

Ah, gotcha. And yea, story stinks lol.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a wild emotional ransom situation in either case. "Your house or your grandkids, choose" is...a lot, but...

It's good that this situation is likely fake because I think everyone involved would end up getting stabbed with how toxic that legal meeting would be.
oh it's an impossibly shitting situation lol, yeah. It is likely fake, but it's still an interesting scenario to think about and discuss!

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Wild how many people are leaping to defend the man whose completely edited, biased version of the story involves him fucking a childhood friend of his daughters he saw regularly when she was in middle school.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure legally she's completely fucked, she has no legal right, that's why the advice really is only beneficial to the creep.

The columnist could have politely advised him to give the house to his daughter without, rightfully, calling him a creep.

The columnist gives way too much sympathy for the new wife's feelings about the house as well.

I mean, it's a financial advice column. Sure the whole thing's creepy, but it's not really the columnist's job to comment on that, it's not some general life advice section

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Wild how many people are leaping to defend the man whose completely edited, biased version of the story involves him fucking a childhood friend of his daughters he saw regularly when she was in middle school.
And admitting he's torn about giving his daughter the house because his wife has also loved it ever since she was a child

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
But if the house is from 1884 isn't it haunted? Doesn't that mean whoever spends a full night there gets the house?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If this a real story chances are extremely high she tried that and failed which is why she's now resorting to blackmail, keep in mind this is his sanitized side of the story.
Yes, that's possible. Feels like this is a situation that could be talked over and resolved without getting to the level of threats.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's possible. Feels like this is a situation that could be talked over and resolved without getting to the level of threats.

Does a guy who hooks up with his daughter's bridesmaid and childhood friend and then quickly proposes and move her into his daughter's childhood home seem like someone rational

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
It's his house. People feeling entitled to their parents' property is gross, generational wealth is unfair

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't see what's terrible here aside from the daughter holding a relationship with the guy's grandson hostage in exchange for a house.
I tend to agree.
The daughter seems awfully entitled to me.
Though a question, what is the default inheritance rule when one parent dies in the US?
I believe in Germany at least the surviving spouse gets half and all the children then get the other half. This can obviously be changed but baring any other will/testament/paperwork that's what happens.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I thought this was a particularly rubbish bit of 'insight' from the columnist:
And I wonder if Isabella would have the same expectations if you had married someone your own age and, as such, were not going to have children in the future.
Like, no shit she would have different expectations if her dad married a woman in her 50s with little prospect of kids as opposed to a woman in her 20s. Talk about stating the obvious.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I tend to agree.
Though a question, what is the default inheritance rule when one parent dies in the US?
I believe in Germany at least the surviving spouse gets half and all the children then get the other half. This can obviously be changed but baring any other will/testament/paperwork that's what happens.

I'm pretty sure in the US a spouse gets everything of their dead spouse unless there's a will that specifies otherwise

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Its deeply disappointing the number of people focused on the house part of the story and not the part where this old fucking creep married his daughter's childhood friend that he knew since middle school.

Like if this situation leads to him being cut off from ever seeing his grandchildren that is honestly a good thing, since past behavior suggests he'll be sniffing around their friends for his third wife.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how these kinds of estate issues are solved without just liquidating the assets and dividing the proceeds. If somebody wants to buy out the other beneficiaries and retain the home then that's fine.

I can't really get behind the idea that the new wife/potential children just get to eat shit.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree.

You know what's entitled hooking up with your daughter's bridesmaid and childhood friend at your daughter's wedding, quickly proposing and moving her into the home your daughter clearly loves

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay. Does this change things? As in do you know what excelsiorleaf was getting at with asking?

Being gifted a house from the mother's parents is a form of generational wealth which you seemed against. That's how the house came in to their possession to begin with.

Nov 3, 2021
I imagine the "consenting adults" defense forece would think differently if one of their male best friends started pushing up on their 20 something year old daughter.
I think it's a bit unfair to use terms like "pushing up on", that bring the implication of sexual assault into the equation.

Why not take on the hard version of the situation? Why not assume that the young woman is a reasonable person and desperately wants to be in a relationship with the older man?

Don't get me wrong, if it was my daughter, I would think it is almost certainly a bad idea. And I would tell my daughter that. It's her bad decision I would try to prevent, not his. Also that man wouldn't be my friend anymore, since he obviously makes bad decisions himself.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
This is just an AITA story probably written in order to create outrage. How many clicks do you think this brought in?

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit unfair to use terms like "pushing up on", that bring the implication of sexual assault into the equation.

Why not take on the hard version of the situation? Why not assume that the young woman is a reasonable person and desperately wants to be in a relationship with the older man?

Don't get me wrong, if it was my daughter, I would think it is almost certainly a bad idea. And I would tell my daughter that. It's her bad decision I would try to prevent, not his. Also that man wouldn't be my friend anymore, since he obviously makes bad decisions himself.

The Dad is a fucking creep and his wife is top 2 worst friends of all time

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
If the father sold the house prior to all of this, do you think the daughter is entitled to ask him for the selling price of the house?
There's an additional emotional element of the daughter being attached to the house she grew up in (understandably), and that was passed down from her mother's parents to her parents and then growing up thinking that it was likely going to end up with her as an only child. And the weird equivalence added here where creepy dad is claiming new wife has a similar emotional claim. Which is laughable.
And Madison has come to love this house as well. In fact, she claims she fell in love with it the first time she came over, in middle school. What would be fair for everyone?

The legal element of who is the owner isn't debatable, but the lack of emotional intelligence from the dad here is stunning.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
The issue of inheritance and the father's wife being his daughter's childhood friend are entirely separate issues. They should not be conflated.

Also, I agree that this story feels made up as clickbait.

Status
Not open for further replies.