• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I remember being really disappointed with it when it came out but not being able to really express why. Something about the driving and tracks (for the most part) wasn't as fun as I was used to. It never clicked. I pushed through and kept playing it thinking something was wrong with me, but it felt like a massive disappointment after DS.

1.A. Just Playing Block Fort Forever In Mario Kart 64
1.B. Double Dash
2. Mario Kart 8D
3. Mario Kart DS
4. Mario Kart Wii
5. Mario Kart 64
spacebar
spacebar
spacebar
?. Mario Kart 7

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like it. some of the stages were good but they can always come back later. I don't like the way Kart pieces work, the modes were a huge disappointment after DS, and I hate the roster.

I think I saw somewhere that like the cars are much slower? that would explain it.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Track design is the most important aspect of MK to me, and the only interesting track in MKDS is Airship Fortress.

This might be the worst take ever on ERA.

Great:
-Waluigi Pinball
-Airship Fortress
-Peach Gardens
-Tick Tock Clock
-Delfino Plaza
-Wario Stadium

Good:
-Luigi's Mansion
-Cheep Cheep Beach
-Bowser Castle
-Mario Circuit
-DK Mountain

Ok:
-Yoshi Falls
-Rainbow Road
-Desert

Meh:
-Toad Bridge
-Figure 8

I do agree Mario Kart 7 is garbage though.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Let's be real, the last and only truly great Mario Kart game is Super Mario Kart. The rest are iterative and more luck based. In SMK the fastest driver always wins.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't compare to 8, this is so, but that's more a signifier or 8's quality than anything else. it was fun at the time.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked a lot of the tracks and I thought it was cool that you could be a bee

The only weird thing about MK7 is Waluigi Pinball is in but Waluigi isn't

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Today Youtube recommended me one of those evolution videos about Mario Kart. I put it as background noise, and besides DS > Wii every entry was a clear improvement all things considered. Then Mario Kart 7 appeared and it's like I legit had forgotten that game existed. Let's see:

- What the fuck was that speed. Maybe I've just got used to seeing 200cc gameplay (and playing whenever I have the chance), but Mario Kart 7 barely feels like a racing game. Mario Odyssey has a better sense of speed, even at 150cc it feels slower than Mario Kart Wii's 50cc.

- Visually, it looks great for a 3Ds game. But man does this game lack a visual identity, if you showed me upscaled footage on a Wii retro track I wouldn't be able to tell which game it's from.

- This has by far one of the weakest track pools out of any Mario Karts, maybe only above Mario Kart Wii. Horrible retros (except for Waluigi's Pinball), and the new tracks are often more of a miss than a hit, especially the Rainbow Road. The complete lack of any kind of sense of speed kills most of them too.

- What the actual fuck is that roster. No Waluigi, no Boo King either but they put the Mario Galaxy Bee here? Why?

Honestly, I feel like Nintendo didn't know if they wanted a fully featured Mario Kart for the 3Ds or something like DS with short courses and quick gameplay, which caused to give us a mix of both that doesn't work well at all and just feels bland.
It was not that it was bad bt that it was basically mario kart Wii that had gliders that added nothing to the game. It was basic and boring... I almost regret buying it and I never completed the races if I remember correctly

so yeah

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
A lot of people coming to the realization that the only reason anyone liked Mario Kart 64 was because they hadn't played Crash Team Racing.

Actually because it was only the second dang game in the series at the time and 4-player Mario Kart was a revelation at the time.

There's almost a 3-year gape between MK64 and CTR, don't act like they were contemporaries.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Character roster was what disappointed me, the rest was OK. Definitely felt inferior to Mario Kart DS for me though.

Speaking of which, bring back ROB, thanks.

Rudii

Nov 2, 2017
Australia
I came in here ready to fight because my brain thought you were dissing MKDS. MK7 was a little underwhelming. Still played a tonne of hours on it but it really lacks its own unique identity in the series.

Jan 29, 2018
I liked it a ton, but I admit to not playing it since 8 came out.

I appreciated the introduction of courses with a beginning and end instead of laps.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I wouldn't call Mario Kart 7 "so bad," but it was definitely a huge step down from Mario Kart DS. I do have to give major credit to its use of stereoscopic 3D, though. That element was SUPER cool.

But hey, it was still way better than Mario Kart Wii. THAT game was so bad...

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I love MK7 and I still play it on my New 3DS XL with the 3D slider cranked to disguise the low resolution. It's at least 1000 times better than the awful Wii version, which plays like a pile of puke.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
This has by far one of the weakest track pools out of any Mario Karts, maybe only above Mario Kart Wii.
Woah there, Wii has a masterful course selection, dare I say the best were it not for MK8DX.

But yeah, MK7 felt pretty uninspired to me on release. Just felt like another one after I had been mostly impressed by DS and Wii

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I honestly didn't like it. I played it before MK8 and even back then I found it to be very slow compared to MK Wii. The new courses on MK7 are one of the most forgetable even though the Rainbow Road there is better than the one in MK8 but other than that, just an overall bland MK game IMO.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I had more fun with it than most games in the series. It has pretty good tracks even if some are a bit gimmicky.

The roster sucked, but most rosters in this series are pretty terrible anyways. Also, all of the princesses having super short legs in some vehicles was freakin weird. You can tell it needed another few months in the oven because of stuff like that.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never be able to articulate why, but it always felt like a step back from DS both in game feel and as a full featured package. Not a bad game, but it didn't live up to the heights of DS, and the disappointment was impossible to escape from.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Mario Kart 7, only played it until 8 came out though and haven't touched it since. The one thing it had over 8 was the battle mode, but 8 Deluxe fixed that so...

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 7 is great. Still play it a lot cos I'm scared to use my Switch on the tube.

Also, is Double Dash now cool again or something? I remember saying about a year ago that it was my favourite Mario Kart and being slated for it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP. MK7 was the only one of the games I bought from the series, which would be most of them, that I just straight up returned because of how bland it felt.

For all the heathens saying MKDS is worse than 7 or one of the worst in the series, ya'll need an intervention. That shit ain't right.

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
This guy knows what's up. Mario Kart has got worse and worse with each iteration, catering to the most casual of gamers. Why are you even worrying about this? Why not make a thread complaining about the lack of defence against a blue shell in the latest Mario Kart? It's not important by any stretch.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I strongly disagree. Mario Kart 7 (and Wii as well, wtf) have some of the best tracks in the series. My only real big complaint is the lack of Vs mode in single player, but even then I still had a great time and love Mario kart 7.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the NSMB2 of the series: competent, transitional, quickly outclassed by its sibling on Wii U, and utterly inessential.

The 3DS had a problem with this, where its mega-selling heavy hitters were concerned. I wouldn't go quite so far as to shove 3D Land in that category, as it at least laid down the original groundwork that would support the incredible game that followed it, but you know what I mean. And most of the weakest things about MK8 (more or less interchangeable kart parts and kart/driver combinations with little meaningful differentiation, built on a currency grind) can be blamed on the framework set in MK7 as well.

Those of you who flicked the 3D slider on the 3DS off on day one and never looked back at it will certainly disagree with me here, but the main thing I got out of MK7 was the 3D effect.

I file it with Mario Kart's other middle children, Super Circuit and MK64. Perfectly fun in their own day, but not worth returning to and nothing that moved the ball.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
This guy knows what's up. Mario Kart has got worse and worse with each iteration, catering to the most casual of gamers. Why are you even worrying about this? Why not make a thread complaining about the lack of defence against a blue shell in the latest Mario Kart? It's not important by any stretch.

Super Horn.

And the "catering to the most casual of gamers" reads like a GameFAQs post with its elitism. :/

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, it had some great tracks along with some pretty stunning 3d visuals. Speed didn't seem any different than Double Dash or Wii from what I recall. Customization was also fun element introduced here. However, it is probably the most barebones modern Mario Kart. Going from the variety of options the DS had to 7 was a little disappointing

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
First with the Platinum Games hot takes and now Mario Kart 7 was a bad game. Get it together Era.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't remember any of the tracks in 7 besides the ones in 8 and the glitchy Wuhu levels. So bland and slow Waluigi didn't want to show up. Worst Mario Kart.
I have great memories of playing those Wuhu stages online, people using the glitch shortcuts and still coming out in first.

Also played with Reggie one time online, can't say that about other Mario Karts.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Daisy is part of the roster so is fine by me. And MK7 Rainbow Road is one of the best versions of the series.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Best to worst MK

1. 8/8DX
2. 7
3. Double Dash
4. Wii
5. DS
6. N64
7. Super Mario Kart
8. Super Circuit