• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Today Youtube recommended me one of those evolution videos about Mario Kart. I put it as background noise, and besides DS > Wii every entry was a clear improvement all things considered. Then Mario Kart 7 appeared and it's like I legit had forgotten that game existed. Let's see:

- What the fuck was that speed. Maybe I've just got used to seeing 200cc gameplay (and playing whenever I have the chance), but Mario Kart 7 barely feels like a racing game. Mario Odyssey has a better sense of speed, even at 150cc it feels slower than Mario Kart Wii's 50cc.

- Visually, it looks great for a 3Ds game. But man does this game lack a visual identity, if you showed me upscaled footage on a Wii retro track I wouldn't be able to tell which game it's from.

- This has by far one of the weakest track pools out of any Mario Karts, maybe only above Mario Kart Wii. Horrible retros (except for Waluigi's Pinball), and the new tracks are often more of a miss than a hit, especially the Rainbow Road. The complete lack of any kind of sense of speed kills most of them too.

- What the actual fuck is that roster. No Waluigi, no Boo King either but they put the Mario Galaxy Bee here? Why?

Honestly, I feel like Nintendo didn't know if they wanted a fully featured Mario Kart for the 3Ds or something like DS with short courses and quick gameplay, which caused to give us a mix of both that doesn't work well at all and just feels bland.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It has some great tracks, but I find that roster unforgivable.

And to be fair, going back to ANY Mario Kart after 200cc is going to feel slow as heck.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
you're mostly right, especially about the retro tracks

but i will not stand for honey queen slander

Oct 25, 2017
Remember liking the rainbow road course myself, more so than the MK8 one.

It is a weird one, tho. Made unnecessary by the existence of MK8D. I liked the first person mode, tho

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I actually played it a ton with friends and it was the most fun I've had with Mario Kart. Still trying to get them to pick up MK8 though.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It has some great tracks, but I find that roster unforgivable.

And to be fair, going back to ANY Mario Kart after 200cc is going to feel slow as heck.
I don't find going back to MKDS slow though, thanks to snaking and having correctly sized tracks. Hell, even MK Wii while pretty slow still has a nice flow to it.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty certain this is my least played mario kart. Just did not enjoy it for some reason. Nothing about it really excited me.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the tracks were pretty fun personally.

Visually, it looks great for a 3Ds game. But man does this game lack a visual identity, if you showed me upscaled footage on a Wii retro track I wouldn't be able to tell which game it's from.

Double Dash, MKWii and MK7 all had a samey art style, MK8 blew my mind when it got revealed, I didn't expect it to look so good, it has aged like wine too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
200cc is bad

also I think it was pretty solid outside of the roster which was a bit weird (but at least it was fun weird rather than boring weird). I vastly prefered it to MKWii, at the very least.

Apr 21, 2018
It was the best in the series until Mario Kart 8 came out

Mario Kart DS and Double Dash would like a word with you...

But I really enjoyed MK7. The item balance and power-sliding was coming to maturity. They totally nailed it with MK8, but you can see the steps they took to get there - and MK7 was a good step, and I put tons of hours into it.

For 2011, it looked pretty damn good and the online worked pretty well. It was actually the first online-Nintendo game I put a lot of time into before Splatoon/MK8.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree on the whole, OP. I love that Rainbow Road and thought racing on the moon was inspired. Also, Kalimari Desert, SNES Rainbow Road, and Mario Circuit 2 are great retro tracks. The gliders and propellers led to varied track design when it comes to the new courses. I played quite a bit of it and had a blast, especially playing with my friend online. Fun game.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Definitely my least favorite. Just such a huge bore of a game after the far superior MKDS.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I had a great time with it and played it more than any other game in the series until 8.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I didn't get hyped about MK8 until I blew the dust off my 3ds and my copy of MK7, which was triggered by watching Wreck It Ralph for the first time, when it came out on blu-ray.

Like the man said, MK7 was the best until MK8.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Visually boring, content starved, and track selection ok at best. Good Rainbow Road though.
A big disappointment coming from MKDS

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked everything about it aside from the amount of Blue Shells in online races. I think the record for most I've seen in one race is 5!? And 2 per race seemed to be the average. I legit started making sure to stay in second place in every race so I could win more races since the person in the lead would inevitably get hit.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? It wasn't as good as DS or MK8 but still way better than the trashfire that was Mario Kart Wii. MK64 sucked also, and Double Dash was mediocre.

MK7 wasn't the best and it's obsolete now that MK8D exists but it 's far from the worst entry in the series. The lacluster roster is the only major negative against it but it had introduced all the major things that people like about MK8 and the track design was solid. Maybe the best in the series up untill that point and it still has the best Rainbow Road track.

This game was pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
Step down from Mario Kart DS and lack of vs. mode sucked and was a serious misstep. It does have the worst battle mode, well second worse after 8 vanilla.

I'll take it over Wii tho. So I'll call it an improvement.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Bad."

It wasn't though? It was never going to be on the same level as Mario Kart Wii (in regards to decent tracks and what not) or Double Dash, but it's most certainly not a bad game. It was great for the handheld it released on it's still a fun game to play today, even with MK8's 200cc mode being the best form of a kart racer out there.

Jan 11, 2018
Today Youtube recommended me one of those evolution videos about Mario Kart. I put it as background noise, and besides DS > Wii every entry was a clear improvement all things considered. Then Mario Kart 7 appeared and it's like I legit had forgotten that game existed. Let's see:

- What the fuck was that speed. Maybe I've just got used to seeing 200cc gameplay (and playing whenever I have the chance), but Mario Kart 7 barely feels like a racing game. Mario Odyssey has a better sense of speed, even at 150cc it feels slower than Mario Kart Wii's 50cc.

- Visually, it looks great for a 3Ds game. But man does this game lack a visual identity, if you showed me upscaled footage on a Wii retro track I wouldn't be able to tell which game it's from.

- This has by far one of the weakest track pools out of any Mario Karts, maybe only above Mario Kart Wii. Horrible retros (except for Waluigi's Pinball), and the new tracks are often more of a miss than a hit, especially the Rainbow Road. The complete lack of any kind of sense of speed kills most of them too.

- What the actual fuck is that roster. No Waluigi, no Boo King either but they put the Mario Galaxy Bee here? Why?

Honestly, I feel like Nintendo didn't know if they wanted a fully featured Mario Kart for the 3Ds or something like DS with short courses and quick gameplay, which caused to give us a mix of both that doesn't work well at all and just feels bland.

I disagree with nearly everything here. DS is the weakest MK other than the GBA game. Also, MK7 Rainbow Road may be the best in the series.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved it, despite its obvious flaws. The retro selection is still my favorite to this day. :)

EDIT: Yes, yes! Best Rainbow Road as well. Felt like you were going on an epic space adventure across the galaxy!

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Well Mario Kart 7 was seemingly rushed because the 3DS wasn't selling really well in 2011. Thank God they didn't do the same thing with Mario Kart 8.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a voice of reason

eDbFyPH.jpg

I liked everything about it aside from the amount of Blue Shells in online races. I think the record for most I've seen in one race is 5!? And 2 per race seemed to be the average. I legit started making sure to stay in second place in every race so I could win more races since the person in the lead would inevitably get hit.

They are so easy to doge in MK7 that is not even an issue, red shells too can easily be manipulated to not hit you.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The only Mario Kart game I've sold on, and I bought a 3DS to play it. At this point I remember four things about it - Rosalina's track having nothing to do with her or SMG, that Wuhu track everyone spam voted online because there was a glitch to let you win, the roster was somehow worse than base Mario Kart 8, and Shy Guy Bazaar was the only track I really liked.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I liked it a lot but the roster was just nonsense. Also it being on the 3DS was terrible. I couldn't play 1 race before my hands were cramped.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only horrible MK was MK64. Good thing I didn't buy that. Also MK Wii was going in the wrong direction. The others, however, are very enjoyable games.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I personally disagree. I really enjoyed MK7 overall and thought it was a fine entry for the series. Most of the courses were fun, the character roster wasn't bad, and I really enjoyed the online which I ended up getting a lot of hours out of. It also probably has the best Rainbow Road.

I'd put it in my top 5 for the series.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It feels slow and it's just a big downgrade from DS, but I'd say it's still fun and it has plenty of memorable tracks. And it's still very active online!

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I don't remember any of the tracks in 7 besides the ones in 8 and the glitchy Wuhu levels. So bland and slow Waluigi didn't want to show up. Worst Mario Kart.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It feels slow and it's just a big downgrade from DS, but I'd say it's still fun and it has plenty of memorable tracks. And it's still very active online!

Unfortunately ruined by hackers, unless you have private rooms, playing just regular matches is horrible the past few years, people spam bombs and lightning and make the frame rate dive, or have neo bowser city spammed as that glitch was never patched.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I bring this up a fair bit when talking Mario Kart, but number 7 is one of my least favourite entries, not for being bad but for being completely vanilla.
It has no real tricks up its sleeve, no bombast to its design, a limit on its options (no single race?!) and the main hooks while perfectly fine (kart customisation, gliding) are very surface level gimmicks that didn't change things all that much.
It was Mario Kart by the numbers, running off the success of DS' formula but not adding, in some cases detracting.

The tracks are the real make or break factor here, and MK7 has good ideas that don't seem to go anywhere, if I were to describe Rock Rock Mountain/Alpine Pass it would probably sound a lot more thrilling than the actual reality of playing the track. You get ones like Rosalina's Ice World where the name could indicate some kind of cosmic twist on the ice theme, but nope, it's just a name that kinda outs its bland reality, see it's Rosalina's ice world because character name plus ice track equals Mario Kart 7, whoopee (a common MK trope for sure, but as a special cup track its blandness really bugs me.
A track based around DKCR that lacks the spectacle and set pieces associated with Retro's game, Wario's shipyard reeks of missed opportunity to do something truly cool with a sunken ship track theme and don't even get me started on Bowser's Castle here lacking the kind of Mario series platforming obstacles that make it a fitting castle gauntlet, you get a lava room filled with water in an aesthetic mess I guess?

Not to say it's all bad, the point to point tracks offered something new and can get by on visual variety, a track like music park completes its concept with some fun use of bouncing drums, beat related tricks and drifting across keys for a a fun audio element.
It set up Neo Bowser City to reach its true potential in MK8 and while it still leaves me wanting a bit more Shy Guy Bazaar is still pretty cool and just needed to push further with the bazaar part splitting paths and adding upper and lower routes.

I'll add that the Tanooki Tail/super leaf might be my least favourite MK item for how it locks you out of picking anything else up or disposing of it, the idea is sound but it's probably the most frequent "I have no use for this right now but HAVE to use it" item in the series, like I'll even take Wii's thunder cloud over it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Track design is the most important aspect of MK to me, and the only interesting track in MKDS is Airship Fortress.

I don't entirely agree but there was definitely an odd aspect to the designs probably meant to facilitate some of the mission mode stuff, like the pinball table or the big clock or the maze in peach gardens. In standard race mode those were unusual ideas that didn't really matter much overall.

For me the big MKDS criticism remains that snaking hurts my hands.