• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm getting deja vu.

(I actually just saw this on the ticker in our elevator on my way up with lunch but I could have sworn this is the second or third time someone has done this in the past year)

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Those Twitter replies, again, remind me of reasons to give up.

Hope coverage of this spreads even a little.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean this is what it's come to? Self-immolation has been done for centuries.

If you are talking about specifically setting oneself on fire, according to Wikipedia, it's been done 533 times from the 1950s to 2002 as reported by Western media

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have a close-up shot of the guy on fire.

It isn't graphic as far as gore or gross...just looks like a normal person on fire. I'm double hiding it behind a spoiler. If the Mods prefer it not be shown at all, please remove.

Again, not gross graphic...no visible burns...but it is a man in flames...walking, as an officer starts to spray a fire extinguisher. Haunting.

(DO NOT CLICK THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WISH TO SEE SOMEONE IN FLAMES)
00234upkd9.png

Hope the person makes it :(. Crazy.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It isn't graphic as far as gore or gross...just looks like a normal person on fire. I'm double hiding it behind a spoiler. If the Mods prefer it not be shown at all, please remove.

Again, not gross graphic...no visible burns...but it is a man in flames...walking, as an officer starts to spray a fire extinguisher. Haunting.

00234upkd9.png

how is this fucker even standing wtf

OP
OP
vatstep

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean this is what it's come to? Self-immolation has been done for centuries.

If you are talking about specifically setting oneself on fire, according to Wikipedia, it's been done 533 times from the 1950s to 2002 as reported by Western media
Uh, no, I don't think this guy was the first person ever to do this. I mean (theoretically) in response to the current administration, on the lawn of the White House.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

00234upkd9.png

Are you there or just found this online? Any word if he survived?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

00234upkd9.png

WOW.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Considering your phrasing how much of that was actually in the States and not in Tibet?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of people in that general vicinity we'd be fine with doing this, but you're probably not one of them, my guy.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: insensitive drive-by leading to derail
Edit: After watching the video I took it as a stunt not a message will delete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vatstep

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
The video I saw was from a distance – it autoplayed, I didn't even know what I was watching at first – and he was definitely fully engulfed for at least twenty seconds.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

00234upkd9.png

He looks pretty casual about it

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

00234upkd9.png

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

00234upkd9.png

This is straight out of resident evil.

Oct 27, 2017

00234upkd9.png

christ that is fucked up

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It's what started the Arab Spring and was a huge part of drawing public attention to anti-US protests within South Vietnam. It's a long-standing tradition in defiance/protest. Hard to ignore a dead body.

Minor point, IIRC the initial (at least) self immolations in South Vietnam in the 60s were protesting the South Vietnamese government's religious intolerance.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear it was also/later about US involvement.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
That guy looks pretty calm. Good for him, I suppose. Screaming and flailing around would dampen the impact of it.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the video and the dude was standing the entire time even though he was engulfed in flames. Crazy stuff.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
There was a rash of people setting themselves on fire in DC a few years ago - during the end of the Obama admin.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's what started the Arab Spring and was a huge part of drawing public attention to anti-US protests within South Vietnam. It's a long-standing tradition in defiance/protest. Hard to ignore a dead body.
In 2019 its surprisingly easy. I didn't even know another person had recently set themselves on fire in front of the White House because the news cycle moves so fast

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
In 2019 its surprisingly easy. I didn't even know another person had recently set themselves on fire in front of the White House because the news cycle moves so fast

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that as I wrote it. In the past such a thing has been hard to ignore, but with the breakdown of journalism as a public service, most protest is swept under the rug unless it fits into for-profit media's centrist/right-wing narratives.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yikes. Clearly someone with some serious mental health issues. Haven't seen the pics/videos.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Clearly someone with some serious mental health issues. Haven't seen the pics/videos.

It's... actually not that. It's very clear, even judging from what I saw above, person was trying to make a statement. It's less about mental health, and showing that it's come to a point where parties feel this is the only thing they can do to make an impact..