• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way you can convince me that a member of the SWAT team took the appropriate action by opening fire as SOON as someone answers the door...
Hell, even in the military, there's a such thing as positive identification, escalation of force, and basically "not shooting at something that isn't trying to harm you"...

Say what you want to defend this scum, but if you can't properly assess the validity of the call (which, I agree, you really can't), you should at least be REQUIRED to assess the presence of an actual threat once you get there...for all they know, in a real hostage situation, the offender could have sent one of the hostages to open the door...

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can understand that completely. I never expected anyone to trust me just because I'm a police officer. I had to earn that. It was reciprocal. Interview as many people in my city you want and you won't get a complaint about me. Ask anyone I arrested, you'd see that you were as safe as you let it be here. I went beyond my basic responsibilities.

As one of the good guys, how do you respond to this? Can easily see how you could be caught in an impossible situation:

This is the tension, though. If you have a relative who's a cop and they've been a cop for years, they are very likely complicit in horrendous things, because as we've learned more about the internal operations of American police forces it's become clear that coverups for systemic false evidence, unjustified shootings, racial harassment, sexual abuse, and other horrible things are both extremely common and widespread within departments. Turning a blind eye to bad actions isn't the same as committing them directly, but done often enough and at a great enough scale it still becomes something that's impossible to justify or excuse. This case is a perfect example: if anyone on this particular force were a "good cop," they would demand that justice be served against their colleague who murdered an unarmed man through negligence or active disregard for human life. Instead, the police force as a whole will close ranks, there will be zero dissenting voices from police officers, and the officer in question will get away with no consequences for this heinous act. That complicity cuts strongly against the notion of "good" cops, rather than people who might have been good once but now turn a blind eye to injustice.

Dec 14, 2017
This user was banned (3 days) for wrongfully generalizing all police as bad in a subsequent post and comparing them to Nazis in this post.
So you think when F34R pushed those kids out of the way of a moving car and took the hit himself, he wasn't a force for good?:
No, he wasn't. It doesn't counteract the evil of his role. It's like saying there were good Nazis.

There weren't. Being a cop nullifies anything you do that isn't terrible.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is utterly fucked on every level.

- Morons threatening each other over a $2 wager. That's 2 motherfuckin dollars?
- SWAT potentially taking a shoot first approach. What could they have seen as a threat when approaching the individual? America's gun laws are fundamentally broken and costing lives, ruining literally hundreds (or thousands) of family lives in the process. The victim has 2 children in this case, that's 2 kids growing up without their father.

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely insane as it is abhorrent.

I don't think I understand the details of swatting, but how that fuck is it that we have a system in place that enables any average Joe off the street to potentially abuse this procedure and get an innocent person killed? Like seriously wtf. Not that I have any intention of shifting the blame off the perpetrator, but this seems like a grossly negligent oversight of the system.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he wasn't. It doesn't counteract the evil of his role. It's like saying there were good Nazis.

There weren't. Being a cop nullifies anything you do that isn't terrible.
That one single act means he's had a more positive impact on this world than you'll ever have, because he saved two kids' lives. His alleged 'evil' is his alleged failure to do more good things (getting bad cops into court, which you don't know he hasn't tried), which you're not doing either. So if a guy as selfless and good as that is as bad as a Nazi, what does that make you? Whose lives have you saved?

Dec 14, 2017
That one single act means he's had a more positive impact on this world than you'll ever have, because he saved two kids' lives. His alleged 'evil' is his alleged failure to do more good things (getting bad cops into court, which you don't know he hasn't tried), which you're not doing either. So if a guy as selfless and good as that is as bad as a Nazi, what does that make you? Whose lives have you saved?
I'm an RN. We don't count the numbers because it's hard to know. Directly? The codes I've assisted. Indirectly? The codes I've prevented.

Dec 14, 2017
All cops are inherently culpable in the institutional violence because they are, almost singularly, in charge of administering the violence of the state against its own citizens. There is no way to be a 'good cop'.

Dec 14, 2017
Meanwhile, I'd be held legally culpable for any violence I perpetrated against a patient. I'm unarmed. I don't have legal authority to kill and yet, I'm probably better educated and trained in my profession than most police officers.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I work nights and I'm aging pretty damned fast because of it. I've been punched, slammed against walls, and hurt because I've tried to keep patients from falling when I'm the only one in the room.
So, no, you haven't done the equivalent of throwing yourself in front of a moving vehicle to save kids and almost dying from it.
All cops are inherently culpable in the institutional violence because they are, almost singularly, in charge of administering the violence of the state against its own citizens. There is no way to be a 'good cop'.
Your view of the police force is insane and dangerous. Your views, and by extension, you, are a danger to society. I don't know exactly what caused you to have such extreme, prejudiced, hateful views of the many men and women that keep our society from falling into anarchy, and perhaps you have a painful backstory. But in this case, between you and F34R , you are the hateful one, regardless of the uniforms you each wear.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I, like, what? How can you just call SWAT in? Shouldn't you just call the police and they gonna decide whether the SWAT should come in or not? You can directly call SWAT in the US?

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way to counter this is to stream video games next to a large window, in your underwear; that way the police can see you are unarmed and just playing a videogame.

They should prosecute all people who were involved in the swatting though; if somebody leaked the address, prosecute that person as well. To set an example for future swatters.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Apparently this shit head is facing Domestic Terrorism charges which means this idiot is fucked and faces 25 to life. They are going to make him an example. He is lucky 18 US Code 1038 exists or he might have gotten the death penalty. Granted Cali hasn't executed someone in i believe 17 years but he will be an example. I don't know about Kansas though as it also has the death penalty.

Last edited:

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I, like, what? How can you just call SWAT in? Shouldn't you just call the police and they gonna decide whether the SWAT should come in or not? You can directly call SWAT in the US?
They call in to the police and report a hostage situation, which pretty much guarantees the SWAT team will be sent.
Can someone explain how and why this is a thing that happens? Unless I'm missing something it literally sounds like "I can get legal-force to accidentally kill you for the lulz"
Unfortunately, real situations do occur, and the calls of real situations and fake situations are indistinguishable until they get there and figure out what's going on in person. They have to treat every call as serious; if they didn't, the real situations would go ignored. So yeah, swatting works, and I don't really see a way to make it not work.

Granted, they don't have to (and none had before this incident) kill anyone when they get there. But they do pretty much have to show up armed and ready for a real situation.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this shit head is facing Domestic Terrorism charges which means this idiot is fucked and faces 25 to life. They are going to make him an example. He is lucky 18 US Code 1038 exists or he might have gotten the death penalty.
Who did they catch? The gamer that sent the false address, the gamer that ordered the swatting, or the dude that actually made the call? All 3 should be imprisoned, IMO.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They call in to the police and report a hostage situation, which pretty much guarantees the SWAT team will be sent.

Unfortunately, real situations do occur, and the calls of real situations and fake situations are indistinguishable until they get there and figure out what's going on in person. They have to treat every call as serious; if they didn't, the real situations would go ignored. So yeah, swatting works, and I don't really see a way to make it not work.

Granted, they don't have to (and none had before this incident) kill anyone when they get there. But they do pretty much have to show up armed and ready for a real situation.

Thanks for the clarification. I think the police should start charging those who make false call intentionally.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
I'm not defending the cop here but iirc they were told someone got killed which adds to them being trigger happy, Again the cop who shot should get some sort of punishment but the main person reasonable is the shit head who made the call. Apparently they caught the guy who made the call in los angeles.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say im the least bit surprised. Especially not about of the police behaviour. Each US Citizen should be ashamed of what their country has become and is further devolving to.
Oh and at what point will the good Policemen stand up and demand change?

I'm not defending the cop here but iirc they were told someone got killed which adds to them being trigger happy, Again the cop who shot should get some sort of punishment but the main person reasonable is the shit head who made the call. Apparently they caught the guy who made the call in los angeles.

Police should never ever be trigger happy.
Is the US a heavy fought over warzone now?

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification. I think the police should start charging those who make false call intentionally.
I could be wrong, but I think they typically have, if they're able to catch them. A lot of swatters make themselves difficult to trace. But, without looking up previous events, I don't think they've been charged with anything like Reckless Endangerment, which I think they should. But all the elements of the crime would have to be proven, and we're obviously not privy to what admissible evidence they have that would prove each element, and what elements they're missing, causing them to look at lesser charges.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Can't say im the least bit surprised. Especially not about of the police behaviour. Each US Citizen should be ashamed of what their country has become and is further devolving to.
Oh and at what point will the good Policemen stand up and demand change?
They have no protections from retaliation when they stand up. Also swatting isn't a crime it should be but it isn't because bills congress tried to pass to make it one failed.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-day-testimony-police-corruption-case-n823656

"
A Baltimore detective was fatally shot with his own gun just one day before he was set to testify before a federal grand jury in a case involving other officers, the city's police commissioner said Wednesday.

"Detective Suiter was going to offer federal grand jury testimony about an incident that occurred several years ago that included officers who are now federally indicted back in March," Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said of Sean Suiter.

"He was scheduled to offer grand jury testimony the day after he was murdered," he added."

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People who think the swatter is as much to blame for this as the police need a reality check. Obviously swatting is a truly awful, pointless crime, but this guy died because of the insane, paranoid, militarised US police force, not because some dickhead on the internet made a false report.

Wow imagine my shock that gamers are trying to deflect blame for the consequences of their toxic behavior.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
but they knocked on the door. The logical assumption would be that someone would open said door. So why shoot before even knowing who the hostage is supposed to be. For all we know the person answering the door could have been the hostage.
The fact that they knocked on the door suggest they weren't trying to take the house b surprise so why did they not established communication with someone inside first. This whole things scream incompetence.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying there aren't shitty cops out there, all i'm saying is that going online and saying "all cops are huge pieces of shit" is childish and unrealistic.

Seems like people like to operate on extremes just like the stupid cop that shot that guy. Oh well.

Yep, apparently a few unnamed people who you claim have a flair for hyperbole are just like a cop who shoots innocent people; I can only assume you purposely meant to name yourself as one of those people that 'like to operate on extremes' and you're just like the stupid cop that shot that guy.

On no plane of reality is someone's benign overzealous comment on a forum the equivalent of murdering an innocent person; I didn't think that needed to be said.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Why is this topic still going on? The swatters need to be punished. They clearly have no semblance of empathy and are entirely driven by ego.

And obviously the police officer needs to be severely punished for being trigger-happy and careless.

End of.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but they knocked on the door. The logical assumption would be that someone would open said door. So why shoot before even knowing who the hostage is supposed to be. For all we know the person answering the door could have been the hostage.
The fact that they knocked on the door suggest they weren't trying to take the house b surprise so why did they not established communication with someone inside first. This whole things scream incompetence.

A report I just read said the guy who answered his door made repeated attempts to reach for his waist band making the cop think they were going for a weapon.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
According to keemstar the kids that were fighting over the Call of Duty game were on the (Same Team!) & mad they lost $1.50 & were blaming each other for the loss.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
I should of said on edge instead of trigger happy. Which really doesn't make it any better.

It's not your choice of words that is to blame, fact is they were trigger happy as seen by the outcome.
We can either say the US Police is utterly incompetent or does what it is supposed to do.
In either case it shows a big problem yet again in the US justice System.
At this point it will get worse and worse, the caller will most likely get, if the police can get him, a minor charge due to the point that higher charges are much harder to prove. The Police will get no punishment, lets not fool ourselfes and act as if there were actually rules for the police in the us.
So by that outcome it sets a strong precedent to use the policeforce as personal killersquads.