• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly the criminal would OPEN THE DOOR if someone just knocked, and not send a hostage to do so.

But thats what America gets when it allows trigger happy cops to run wild. There is little to no training and more importantly, absolutely no accountability. The cop probably just wanted a paid vacation\promotion.

In what situation do you open fire after knocking on a door? Its almost as if you wanted to shoot whoever opened the door.

edit:

bad info.
Even in American terms this is a pretty bad fuckup. SWATting has been a thing for years now in the states and this is the first time somebody has been shot, because most of the times American police are able to assess the situation and not shoot up the first person shaped target that silhouettes themselves in a window or doorway.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how training can make a difference when every time one of these police killings take place, the rationale and response is always the same: they feared for their life. Oftentimes they are wrong about that and it does not matter a wit in the end. They walk away free and the town or the state pays out millions in taxpayer dollars to settle the wrongful death suit.

How do you train someone to not feel an instinctual fear?
How to train someone like that, I don't know. Personally, I can't support someone when they kill someone because they "reached for their waistline". I can't. When I see someone do that, yes, of course it raises my alert level. However, if I don't see a weapon, then I don't see a threat that warrants me pulling the trigger. That's my personal stance on it. I wasn't trained to feel that way, and I wasn't trained to think that someone reaching for something means you can shoot them. That's just who I am.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There are no good cops. They may be good people outside the uniform, but as soon as they put one on, they're the moral equivalent of Stormtroopers.

They don't work for the people. They've never worked for the people.
my understanding is that good cops may exist temporarily

but the moment they try to do what a good cop would (report prosecute and witness against bad colleagues) they get forced out by the bad and the complacent cops

Dec 14, 2017
Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your service.

That "every police officer [is] aware of" this standard goes against what F34R just stated. Here's where I think we're getting our wires crossed: Yes, to save someone from danger you have to put yourself in danger. What that doesn't mean is that you have to prioritize their life over yours in an absolute sense. In other words, if they have a 100% chance of dying if you don't get involved and a 0% chance of dying if you do get involved, and you have a 0% chance of dying if you don't get involved and a 100% chance of dying if you do get involved (e.g. jumping in front of a moving train to push them out of the way), then you don't have to do that. What generally happens is they have a, say, 20% chance of dying if you don't get involved, and a 2% chance of dying if you do, and so to save their 18% chance of living, you put yourself at a 3% risk of dying.

So yes, you put yourself in danger, but you're probably going to be fine (most cops don't die on the job), and you'll be able to help them significantly.

The problem is the accumulation of risk over time. 0.01% chance of dying today, 0.01% chance of dying tomorrow, 0.01% chance of dying the next day... that risk accumulates--not at a linear rate, but at an exponential rate--which, in the aggregate, leads to it being a high-risk job. Cops are keenly aware of this as they see other cops killed or injured, and think, "Man, I'm not going to let that happen to me."

That's getting a little tangential, though. My point is, yes, cops put themselves at risk, and that is part of the job, but no, that doesn't necessitate a conclusion that they value the lives of those they are assigned to protect more than their own, any more than a security guard is putting more value on the bank's money than on his own life. He's accepting a risk that he doesn't think will ever come to fruition, and if that risk becomes too high, he can protect himself over the bank's vault.

Good to know, thanks. I think this is interesting, because it highlights how a different base standard of normal behavior (carrying AK47's everywhere) applies to what standard an officer or soldier is held to when determining the situation. There couldn't be the standard of shooting anyone armed, because that would mean you're shooting everyone. Now, here in America where it's legal to hold firearms, the situation is somewhat analogous, but the standard appears to be different than your RoE were in 2007. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Your mindset is dangerous and is leading to a worse society. Please, for the sake of everyone, reexamine how you view the people that enforce the laws that protect people, even though they're not always successful in doing so. Go watch The Purge, or just think about it for more than your gut reaction to bad stories.
It isn't a gut reaction to a bad story. The police are never a force of good. If they ever help a normal person, it's by mistake or in the interests of their masters and in their role as protectors of private property.

Oct 26, 2017
Are police officers that incompetent that they cannot simply arrest someone and do a legit fact check about what they're being contacted for?

Like imagine someone going up to them and saying "YOOOO THERE'S A BOMBER IN THE MIDDLE OF CENTRAL PARK, NYC" and you just go off and immediately shoot them down?

Police Training is really showing its flaws. I expect them to be much smarter about crime prevention and potential misunderstandings, but then again, the gun replaced their brains, so why am I surprised that the police are run by idiots with zero critical thinking skills.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Naturally I feel bad for the victim. I also want to point out that the police officer is a victim also, imagine the guilt you would have for the rest of your life if you were tricked into killing someone.

EDIT: Woops, never mind. I read past the first post. WTF at that officer.

Yeah it's literally never the case in these situations that the cop is a victim. It's actually depressing to think that when this happens in America it's almost always the case that the cop probably killed someone without cause. And I'm so fucking tired of hearing and reading the "he reached for his waistband." It has become like a really bad, horrible joke.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't a gut reaction to a bad story. The police are never a force of good. If they ever help a normal person, it's by mistake or in the interests of their masters and in their role as protectors of private property.
So you think when F34R pushed those kids out of the way of a moving car and took the hit himself, he wasn't a force for good?:
Talking to kids on the side of the road that were reported as run-a-ways. Here comes that blink of an eye. A car veers in the lane while coming towards us. Instead of getting out of the way, I jumped towards the kid, pushed him out of the way, and took the hit myself. I almost died that night, and thanks to a great medial team, I lived. Why did I do that? Not because that kids life was more valuable than mine, but because his life is just as valuable as mine.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
"To Protect and to Serve". Lately the "protect" part has been kinda lost. Maybe we need a police-police that protects citizens against the police.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
There are no good cops. They may be good people outside the uniform, but as soon as they put one on, they're the moral equivalent of Stormtroopers.

They don't work for the people. They've never worked for the people.
Dude c'mon. Cops direct traffic during power outages and when there are wrecks, and they ummm... do a lot of stuff like that. Useful stuff. Filling a state's coffers for minor or non existent violations and killing or arresting people unjustly may be their modus operandi, but make no mistake they are needed.

I watched this show on Netflix the other day called Glitch. It's Aussie. The cop was very likable. In the first episode he had the equivalent of zombies coming at him (They were naked, dirty, people) who could have been piped up drug addicts or who knows and he took it all in stride and behaved in a fashion I'd consider appropriate (cautious yet not murderous). You may say it's just a show but I've seen footage of not only Australian cops but cops all over not being straight up cowards and this sort of behavior in American cops being accepted is just ridiculous. We complain more about the CEO of a video game company than we do about the behaviour of police and the people in charge of them.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA

That is a nice way to disrespect everyone on this forum who is or who knows family/friends that are officers. Your post is disgusting.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They were 28 and still arguing over a video game and threatening to swat each other? Jesus christ. And then this is the outcome. It's sad.

That is a nice way to disrespect everyone on this forum who is or who knows family/friends that are officers. Your post is disgusting.
No. The police and their actions are disgusting.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I dunno if anybody brought this up, and I am not trying to derail the thread or anything, but this incident is an obvious red flag for me. Modern games have instilled an addiction to gambling that has gone way too fucking far, and if the ESRB and other gaming censorship boards do not do something, and fast, yeah the government needs to intervene. Net Neutrality is a sign of what will happen in that case, but if lives are gonna be lost over some fucking polygons and a dollar, I really don't care.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ignoring multiple verbals commands by law enforcement in a very tense situation is disgusting.
Panic is a real thing. Especially when people know cops kill people for no reason. When confronted people aren't always able to react as quickly as people want. I know I panic in bad situations and can't really cooperate with people.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
So the cop didn't say "freeze put you're hands up" nothing just immediately opened fire. That's just sad swatting is not cool but this wouldn't been that big of a story if the cop had better judgement.

Prayers to his family

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rainbow Six Siege ProGamer KingGeorge got swatted a couple days ago live on stream

They suddenly stood in his room,he explained to them what probably happened(swatting),explained to them what he does and how twitch works and they left.

The hate on cops is so laughable and sad at the same time.
ALL cops are bad probably comes from some guys who got their weed confiscated at one point

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
What I read earlier, made it seem like the one cop immediately fired a shot that killed him, before any verbal commands were given. Has this changed?

Bleedgreen007

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Murica
Rainbow Six Siege ProGamer KingGeorge got swatted a couple days ago live on stream

They suddenly stood in his room,he explained to them what probably happened(swatting),explained to them what he does and how twitch works and they left.

ALL cops are bad probably comes from some guys who got their weed confiscated at one point
Definitely a large anarchist crowd in here. I don't deny there are several bad apples out of the thousands of law enforcement officers, but to say all cops are out murdering people is merely beating a dead horse of a failed ideology.

Oct 25, 2017

The person that was killed was a bystander, not someone participating. Why are you shrugging this off "all he had to do was just explain what swatting was and that would've been the end of it", that's the expectation?

The "hate" on cops comes from police shooting hundreds of people each year. And so many of you just shrug it off like the cops do absolutely nothing wrong and blame the victim, who in most cases winds up dead. Many unarmed and innocent. You don't get to do that for decades and expect people to trust you.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a large anarchist crowd in here. I don't deny there are several bad apples out of the thousands of law enforcement officers, but to say all cops are out murdering people is merely beating a failed horse of an ideology.
Is it that hard to say the cop fucked up? That's all you have to say, instead we're all "anarchist" because you don't want to say a simple truth.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017

You are LITERALLY in a news-topic about a situation why US cops are so dreaded and have a bad reputation. But sure, it's about "weed confiscation". What a fucking disgusting post.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person that was killed was a bystander, not someone participating. Why are you shrugging this off "all he had to do was just explain what swatting was and that would've been the end of it", that's the expectation?

The "hate" on cops comes from police shooting hundreds of people each year. And so many of you just shrug it off like the cops do absolutely nothing wrong and blame the victim, who in most cases winds up dead. Many unarmed and innocent. You don't get to do that for decades and expect people to trust you.

we could have a thousand more threads for the next 100 years and somebody in 2117 will still ask 'lol you guys just hate all cops for no reason".

People won't understand until it happens to them. And by then it might be too late

OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Dude is a sick sociopath...lock him up

KrebsOnSecurity reports that the individual then changed his Twitter handle to @GoredTutor36, but not before KrebsOnSecurity got its hands on weeks' worth of the original account's tweets. The person behind the account has claimed credit for a number of swatting hoaxes and other threats including one that led to the evacuation of the Dallas Convention Center earlier this month, a bomb threat at a Florida high school in November and the threat that caused the FCC to pause its net neutrality vote a couple of weeks ago.

In direct message conversations with KrebsOnSecurity, the person running @GoredTutor36 said that they had remorse over Finch's death but that they would not be turning themselves in. "People will eventually (most likely those who know me) tell me to turn myself in or something. I can't do that; though I know its [sic] morally right. I'm too scared admittedly," they wrote. They also said, "Bomb threats are more fun and cooler than swats in my opinion and I should have just stuck to that. But I began making $ doing some swat requests." The person also noted that the thrill of such hoaxes "comes from having to hide from police via net connections."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alleged-swatting-hoax-ends-death-223700818.html

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
If swat requests are a thing, Twitch really needs to step in.
...how exactly? Twitch can't do jack shit about them. They just need to be hunted down and put in jail. Every single one of them. That will stop people from doing it. "Nothing happens, just a prank" etc nonsense is only happening because they get no real backlash.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
from a poll of police for the 2016 presidential election:
m-chart-1x5u6d.jpg

so i mean it's pretty clear that 92% of cops are dumb af

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Makes no sense for the police to open fire at someone opening or walking to a door or just shooting anyone in general at a reported hostage situation without having any details.

What the fuck man...

Also these kids should be charged with manslaughter, along with the officer and the caller.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
since american police is such a goddamn mess and can't keep their guns in their pants, people who engage in swatting should be charged with attempted murder to make the practice go away

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Edited: just saw the post above about the keemstar interview.

regardless this guy is scum if thats the true swatter.

Last edited:

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
This seems abit excessive.
It's just a little non-specific. There's no such thing as a good cop not because every single person who works in the police is a morally bad person overall (I don't know how you'd even prove this if it were your claim) but rather because the job itself is fundamentally immoral, at least as constituted in America. The police force is the direct descendant of organizations that existed to murder union organizers and capture escaped slaves. It's structured such that police officers are heavily incentivized to harass minorities, brazenly steal from the populace, kill without thought or mercy at any time they decide it's justified, and protect other cops from punishment for the exact crimes they nominally exist to stop including theft, drug dealing, rape and murder. Any person who joins that institution and comes to understand how it really works is making a horrendously corrosive moral choice the moment they don't dedicate themselves to reforming it. That's what "there's no such thing as a good cop" is a (perhaps slightly short) summary of.

Makes no sense for the police to open fire at someone opening or walking to a door or just shooting anyone in general at a reported hostage situation without having any details.

It makes perfect sense: there's some non-zero chance that that person just looks unarmed but is actually a crazed gun-toting murderer, and you can kill anyone as a cop and suffer no consequences so there's no reason not to immediately escalate to lethal violence except the personal morality that police training is explicitly designed to beat out of you.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
we could have a thousand more threads for the next 100 years and somebody in 2117 will still ask 'lol you guys just hate all cops for no reason".

People won't understand until it happens to them. And by then it might be too late

When is there a good reason for holding incorrect views and allowing it to inform an incorrect opinion about a huge part of our society? I can understand people's reasoning most definitely, there's a lot to hate, but that doesn't make make it a correct reason. There are terrible cops, there are racist cops, the whole system is racist, the whole system needs reform. I don't know how anyone can deny that. The fact is though other people have different experiences with police too, good ones. People have cops that are family members or friends, people they know are not pieces of shit. People have had their lives saved. The vast majority of cops have never killed or even had to fire their weapon. It's just wrong to say they are all evil and of course people are gonna call that out, ridiculous incorrect broad judgments are usually not well-received.

That being said the whole shebang needs reform and good cops aren't exempt from it, everyone needs to fall on the sword to move forward, good or bad, it's the only way. But that doesn't mean ignoring that those good cops are the necessary foundation for any shift in practices and need to be differentiated from the bad ones.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of cops have never killed or even had to fire their weapon. It's just wrong to say they are all evil and of course people are gonna call that out, ridiculous incorrect broad judgments are usually not well-received.
How many of those 'good cops' have seen their piece of shit co-workers do something wrong and reported it.

Because if they have and have kept silent? They're pieces of shit too.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That didn't happen here, nobody fired at someone opening or walking to a door. After the person opened the door and saw the police, he stepped outside, they told him to raise his hands, he did, then he reached down to his waste and quickly raised his hand back up halfway. The cop thought he may have been pulling a weapon out.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
People have cops that are family members or friends, people they know are not pieces of shit.
This is the tension, though. If you have a relative who's a cop and they've been a cop for years, they are very likely complicit in horrendous things, because as we've learned more about the internal operations of American police forces it's become clear that coverups for systemic false evidence, unjustified shootings, racial harassment, sexual abuse, and other horrible things are both extremely common and widespread within departments. Turning a blind eye to bad actions isn't the same as committing them directly, but done often enough and at a great enough scale it still becomes something that's impossible to justify or excuse. This case is a perfect example: if anyone on this particular force were a "good cop," they would demand that justice be served against their colleague who murdered an unarmed man through negligence or active disregard for human life. Instead, the police force as a whole will close ranks, there will be zero dissenting voices from police officers, and the officer in question will get away with no consequences for this heinous act. That complicity cuts strongly against the notion of "good" cops, rather than people who might have been good once but now turn a blind eye to injustice.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just saw the body cam footage, like WTF?

Police: "Show your hands"

The guy the proceeds to put his hands up and in doing so they shoot him.

This is just as bad as the guy the cop told to crawl and all other commands and then shot him while he was crawling cause he went to pull up his pants that were falling off.

Both cops should be fired and charged.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure there are good cops, but honestly I don't want any police interaction at all for fear of the cop "fearing for his life" and shooting me randomly. They really need to do better. Require an education, pay for better training, and definitely raise the standard for people dealing with hostage situations and crisis situations. As it stands right now with the "I feared for my life" argument they have a license to murder.

shanshan310

Oct 27, 2017
Dude c'mon. Cops direct traffic during power outages and when there are wrecks, and they ummm... do a lot of stuff like that. Useful stuff. Filling a state's coffers for minor or non existent violations and killing or arresting people unjustly may be their modus operandi, but make no mistake they are needed.

I watched this show on Netflix the other day called Glitch. It's Aussie. The cop was very likable. In the first episode he had the equivalent of zombies coming at him (They were naked, dirty, people) who could have been piped up drug addicts or who knows and he took it all in stride and behaved in a fashion I'd consider appropriate (cautious yet not murderous). You may say it's just a show but I've seen footage of not only Australian cops but cops all over not being straight up cowards and this sort of behavior in American cops being accepted is just ridiculous. We complain more about the CEO of a video game company than we do about the behaviour of police and the people in charge of them.

Its likely a result of fewer and less powerful guns being in circulation, and long training periods, but you're right that this kind of thing doesn't tend to happen in Australia. I don't feel like people really fear cops like they seem to in the US. Cops in the US could definitely be doing better.