• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Everyone involved with the swatting will probably get the book thrown at them, but sadly the police officer will get off with paid vacation. Fuck these swatters, and FUCK THE POLICE.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Motherfuckers are still doing this.

Rainbow Six Siege ProPlayer KingGeorge got swatted like 3 days ago live on his twitch stream.
Suddenly a couple guys with Assault Rifles stood in his room - He said he had luck his uncle lives next door and knows the cops and they first went to him before they rushed into the house.

Oct 30, 2017
If you prefer, I can say "streamer culture," that's closer to what I meant. And yes, I would say streaming is a big contributor to the rise of swatting. Obviously only a small proportion of streamers do this kind of shit, but it's popular enough in some circles that you can say parts of streamer culture do in fact encourage it.
I just dont think you can put the onus on the "culture". Im sure a small group of people find it amusing. At the same time, this wasnt even being streamed, it was sent to a random guys house. It just needs to be dealt with appropriately from a punishment standpoint. They need to send a message that fake calls have serious consequences

Oct 30, 2017
People who think the swatter is as much to blame for this as the police need a reality check. Obviously swatting is a truly awful, pointless crime, but this guy died because of the insane, paranoid, militarised US police force, not because some dickhead on the internet made a false report.
We dont know the full details. But even so he died because of one person. Not the entire force. I work in medicine and errors happen. If a doctor does something stupid you dont say the entire medical system is at fault. Granted there are supposed to be checks in place to prevent dumb things happening, but thtt doesnt always work.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't think the guy who treated the insane, paranoid, militarized US police force as his personal army because he lost a video game is responsible for his actions? He created the situation.

No, obviously not. The police get false claims and false alarms all the time, and have (or should have) detailed protocols on how to tell whether a situation is genuine or not. Hostage situations in particular are particularly sensitive. Officers are meant to be trained to the Nth degree in order to deal with them, and there should be negotiators on site. What about if this guy really had been taking hostages? Seeing as the police knew literally nothing about the situation besides one unverified report, the (obviously unarmed, unsuspecting) guy they killed may have been one of the hostages himself as far as they knew, there may have been other hostage takers in the house and their actions could have resulted in hostages being killed etc.

The police murdered an innocent guy based on one unverified report. They want to deflect this all onto the swatter (who should obviously still be prosecuted). Don't let the police literally get away with murder.

We dont know the full details. But even so he died because of one person. Not the entire force.

Oh yeah, it's not like the police killing innocent people is a regular occurrence and a systematic problem or anything like that.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who think the swatter is as much to blame for this as the police need a reality check. Obviously swatting is a truly awful, pointless crime, but this guy died because of the insane, paranoid, militarised US police force, not because some dickhead on the internet made a false report.

yeah "send the swatter to death row" has been said, but this wouldn't have happened in say, the UK. this police officer discharged his firearm upon suspicion based purely from one random phone caller. you can try and blame "immature gamers" but if I'm pissed off at my neighbor because his tree is overhanging my fence, should i be able to suspect that if I make a false report to 911, he could be killed? they're supposed to be peacekeepers, not freelance assassins.

if bodycam footage of this horrific incident comes out and the victim had his hands raised, and the officer isn't charged with his death... that footage accomplished nothing but to instill fear in american citizens that they or their loved ones can be killed at any moment by the people supposedly protecting them. it's the "terrorist beheading propaganda video" of the police. it says "look what we can do".

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Oh man, the kids have blood in their hands because of a joke but the absolutely insane thing is how the fuck a police cop just shoot, i mean those situations must have safety steps and all of that. You dont charge blind and kill people.
what is wrong with those people in the american police?

Oct 30, 2017
No, obviously not. The police get false claims and false alarms all the time, and have (or should have) detailed protocols on how to tell whether a situation is genuine or not. Hostage situations in particular are particularly sensitive. Officers are meant to be trained to the Nth degree in order to deal with them, and there should be negotiators on site. What about if this guy really had been taking hostages? Seeing as the police knew literally nothing about the situation besides one unverified report, the (obviously unarmed, unsuspecting) guy they killed may have been one of the hostages himself as far as they knew, there may have been other hostage takers in the house and their actions could have resulted in hostages being killed etc.

The police murdered an innocent guy based on one unverified report. They want to deflect this all onto the swatter (who should obviously still be prosecuted). Don't let the police literally get away with murder.

Oh yeah, it's not like the police killing innocent people is a regular occurrence and a systematic problem or anything like that.
Still doesnt change the fact that it was one guys fuck up. Can you really say you know the attitudes, training, culture, beliefs of this unit? Because lumping everything into one category and generalizing doesnt usually give an accurate story.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah "send the swatter to death row" has been said, but this wouldn't have happened in say, the UK. this police officer discharged his firearm upon suspicion based purely from one random phone caller. you can try and blame "immature gamers" but if I'm pissed off at my neighbor because his tree is overhanging my fence, should i be able to suspect that if I make a false report to 911, he could be killed? they're supposed to be peacekeepers, not freelance assassins.

if bodycam footage of this horrific incident comes out and the victim had his hands raised, and the officer isn't charged with his death... that footage accomplished nothing but to instill fear in american citizens that they or their loved ones can be killed at any moment by the people supposedly protecting them. it's the "terrorist beheading propaganda video" of the police. it says "look what we can do".

Brilliant post, I agree 100%. Really do wish that the police were just peacekeepers and not instruments of oppression.

Still doesnt change the fact that it was one guys fuck up.

I'm sorry, how do you know this? The police, especially those who respond to hostage situations, are not random lone wolves, they're tight units taking detailed orders about every single thing they do.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm from the UK and never heard of the term swatting and couldn't find one which makes sense in the context of this thread.

Anyone?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Manslaughter for the swatter and the guy who asked for the swatter

Reckless endangerment for the kid egging on to be swatting and giving an improper address.

Oct 30, 2017
Brilliant post, I agree 100%. Really do wish that the police were just peacekeepers and not instruments of oppression.

I'm sorry, how do you know this? The police, especially those who respond to hostage situations, are not random lone wolves, they're tight units taking detailed orders about every single thing they do.
Actually i dont youre right, but neither do you. As i said we dont really inow the details. As for the second part, its obvious there was a fuck up somewhere because an innocent man is dead. Did the officer act on his own? Maybe? Maybe he didnt follow orders. Maybe he didnt follows procedures (obviously). Again ill use medical as its what i know, most errors occur when you break from protocol, not because the protocol is bad

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from the UK and never heard of the term swatting and couldn't find one which makes sense in the context of this thread.

Anyone?
Swatting is calling in an anonymous tip to get a police armed response team (SWAT) to pay a visit to someone under false pretenses. Obviously very illegal.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Manslaughter charges need to be pressed. No exception. Absolutely disgusting stuff from every party involved.
... when a 28 year old man answered the door, the officer in attendance discharged his weapon. The man was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.
You just know this poor guy was terrified as they likely yelled expletives from behind the door and made clearly defined threats as is the usual procedure in these scenarios, then before even getting the opportunity to ask for clarity on why this was happening, he winds up being riddled with bullets.

The fucking procedure used for these types of scenarios are so heavy-handed and brutish. Just makes your stomach churn.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Anyone?

Reporting a fake violent situation (bomb, hostage, etc.) on someone so that armed police invade their homes, usually either as a sadistic prank or a threat.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
We dont know the full details. But even so he died because of one person. Not the entire force. I work in medicine and errors happen. If a doctor does something stupid you dont say the entire medical system is at fault. Granted there are supposed to be checks in place to prevent dumb things happening, but thtt doesnt always work.

Turning the police force into a paramilitary unit *is* a systemic fault. This keeps happening

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I may be in the minority who sees swatting as attempted murder. Only this time a death resulted, so I feel it is no different than murder (or at least attempted murder resulting in death). The swatter might not have pulled the trigger, but they knew full well the potential consequences of their actions could result in the death of another person. I believe they should get the punishment for such, whatever it may be.

I don't think I could consider this involuntary manslaughter, because that would suggest the swatter didn't have malicious afterthought. Knowing the potential consequences of their actions suggests they likely did.

Last edited:

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if only we had other examples of police brutality to extrapolate systemic claims

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
Am I reading it wrong or was the guy who got shot a previous swatter himself? It said they gave the address of a known previous swatter? Or is it just badly worded reporting?

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually i dont youre right, but neither do you. As i said we dont really inow the details. As for the second part, its obvious there was a fuck up somewhere because an innocent man is dead. Did the officer act on his own? Maybe? Maybe he didnt follow orders. Maybe he didnt follows procedures (obviously). Again ill use medical as its what i know, most errors occur when you break from protocol, not because the protocol is bad

Would be a pretty large break of protocol for a single officer to enter a building and kill a man without actually assessing whether the hostage situation was genuine, and without any sort of permission from those in charge of the situation.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Are people really defending the police?

What was this guy's crime, answering the door?

M8, if it was the first time american police did something like this, go ahead defend them, but its an incident everyday and the only reason we know about them is social media and such, I can't imagine how many incidents happened before poor people had a voice. I hope, the officer, the swatter and the two idiots all root in jail for thoses $2 dollars.

But who am I kidding, maybe the three latter idiots will, but the office? the office will get a 4 week paid vacation with the american citiziens' taxes and then comeback to shoot more innocent people either there or start a new job in another city/town as a police officer.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Of course the swat team is trigger happy, they are meant to deal with things like armed hostage situations and suicide bombers. Though I have real problem with police brutality in these instances, I can't fault the swat team for being jumpy because they are trained to be jumpy. They are not supposed to be called in to raid normal civilians. Thats why this should be a huge fucking deal. As far as I'm concerned, the person who called in the swat team pulled the trigger.

Exactly. It's honestly a fucking miracle that it took this long before someone got killed. That poor fucker never saw it coming.

Why do these kids think SWATTING is a good idea to begin with? What ever happened to dumb pranks like sending pizza boxes to their house? Wasn't this supposed to be stamped out forever ago? Deaths aside it's a stupid huge waste of money and time.

Oct 30, 2017
Are people really defending the police?

What was this guy's crime, answering the door?

M8, if it was the first time american police did something like this, go ahead defend them, but its an incident everyday and the only reason we know about them is social media and such, I can't imagine how many incidents happened before poor people had a voice. I hope, the officer, the swatter and the two idiots all root in jail for thoses $2 dollars.

But who am I kidding, maybe the three latter idiots will, but the office? the office will get a 4 week paid vacation with the american citiziens' taxes and then comeback to shoot more innocent people either there or start a new job in another city/town as a police officer.

Im saying sometimes people do stupid shit. Maybe the unit this guy is on is full of good people doing good things. You dont know. I dont know. Its not right to throw people under the bus like that by lumping everyone into one group without really knowing the dynamics. Shouldnt have to explain that lol.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned for Off-Topic & Thread Derailing
Note: this happens to black people all the time.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot imagine how someone, even a teenager, would think about swatting someone without consequences.I mean even someone not smart.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Im saying sometimes people do stupid shit. Maybe the unit this guy is on is full of good people doing good things. You dont know. I dont know. Its not right to throw people under the bus like that by lumping everyone into one group without really knowing the dynamics. Shouldnt have to explain that lol.

Full of good guys that will never testify against each other no matter what fucked up things the "few" bad apples do.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Even if the SWAT team is full of the good ones and there's only one bad apple, there is a clear problem with police unions which grant protections that the police absolutely should not have. It's difficult to remove dangerous officers and internal attempts are reform are blocked. The bad apples ruin the bunch; the problem compounds. Even if you can't blame every individual officer, the system and the organization that the officers exist in is absolutely responsible for these incidents and failures to address them. A police officer might be good, but the police as a whole are definitely not.

Oct 30, 2017
Well, they're cops, so probably not.

That makes the whole thing even more insane. Jfc.
I dont subscribe to the belief all cops are bad so im not with you there. I dont like the fuck the police mentality, because it potentially sways good people frol pursuing it, and as someone who lives in detroit, i feel we need our cops. Ive met a lot of good guys who do good things. But yeah i agree its crazy

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
if this doesn't show police are super trigger happy i don't know what will? what if it WAS a hostage situation, and there was another shooter who, upon seeing their buddy get randomly gunned down just murdered the hostages? I can't believe protocol allows the guy to just start shooting if the door opens. Pretty BS and that cop needs to be sitting in a jail cell as well as the two kids.

But he won't because the police union will make sure no one asks why the hell he started shooting when a guy opened the door.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anyone?
It's because American special police forces are called SWAT. So if someone calls them falsely to raid someone innocent in order to get them killed or injured, it's called "swatting" the term originates from YouTube or twitch streams and has been in use for many years now. Basically this whole thing started in the ps360 gen when people started playing online (shooters) en mass.

And since it's appearantly super easy to make a SWAT team put in action...

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they didn't knock. They were probably setting up outside, tense because they're about to blow open the door and move in on a dangerous situation, when the door opens (no doubt the owner heard some commotion outside and wanted to see what was going on). Should the cop have waited to see? It's hard to say without being there to see what it looked like.

Truly very sad. The kid who called this needs to get manslaughter just to show everyone else that this isn't acceptable.

Yes, he should have fucking waited and seen! The way American cops just indiscriminately kill, without there having to be any danger whatsoever, is absolutely disgusting.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
In every single thread on the old board I said Swatting should be Attempted Murder and it finally fucking happened. These assholes should absolutely be charged with Murder.

Oct 27, 2017
What the HELL at the update?

They told the man to come out with his hands up

Then as he is at the screen door (meaning he already opened one of his doors), they shot him dead

What the HELL??

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, treating the SWAT as your own hired assassins... I feel like a change in verifying calls could be helpful to prevent swatting, but too much overhead and you have less response time to actual crimes. Stuck between a rock and a hard place :/

RIP to the guy who got shot for no reason. It's awful and terrifying to think that this could happen to literally anyone because players aren't being mature adults for two seconds.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
POLICE! OPEN UP!

okay...

*get shot*

Fuck The Police. And, fuck swatters. Why don't you just show up to a person's house and kill them yourself, it's the same thing.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
What really disturbs me is how the swat officer shoots the guy "after he opens the door"... How did the guy open it??? Like a raging lunatic or a normal human being? Fucking hell.

Oct 28, 2017
Death Row?

Chill.

SCCLIyZ.png

No chill. That officer murdered an unarmed man. There's something really wrong with police nowadays, especially in the US. Not all of them are bad but the bad ones are more deadlier than Ebola, I'm dead serious.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
This is the most disgusting thing I've heard in a long time. Can you imagine being a relative/friend/SO to the victim, and then learning that the reason he's dead is because a couple of dumbfuck kids got mad over a $2 video game bet and accidentally called a trigger-happy officer to the victim's home, under the pretense that there was a hostage situation?

Makes me want to throw up.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Swatting is horrible and all but I feel like the onus of this tragedy is on the SWAT official shooting at first glance.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Of course the swat team is trigger happy, they are meant to deal with things like armed hostage situations and suicide bombers. Though I have real problem with police brutality in these instances, I can't fault the swat team for being jumpy because they are trained to be jumpy. They are not supposed to be called in to raid normal civilians. Thats why this should be a huge fucking deal. As far as I'm concerned, the person who called in the swat team pulled the trigger.

What sort of HORSE SHIT GARBAGE is this post?

SWAT "is meant to deal with hostage situations." Yet, they are "trained to be jumpy." Think about the idiocy of what you just typed. It's supposed to be the EXACT OPPOSITE. SWAT teams are theoretically supposed to be a cut above your regular, bum fuck officer. They are given special training and taught advanced tactics to deal with such situations.

That means they SHOULDN'T be trigger happy. The LAST thing you want is a trigger happy motherfucker in a hostage situation. You want calm professionals that are capable of defusing the situation without loss of innocent life. It is not standard procedure to light up a motherfucker because you got a call saying they were armed.

But, welcome to America where SWAT means jack shit anymore. Every two bit police station has a "swat" team, which just translates to regular cops armed with machine guns and full body armor to more effectively knock down and shoot up some low level drug dealers home.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
This is the most disgusting thing I've heard in a long time. Can you imagine being a relative/friend/SO to the victim, and then learning that the reason he's dead is because a couple of dumbfuck kids got mad over a $2 video game bet and accidentally called a trigger-happy officer to the victim's home, under the pretense that there was a hostage situation?

Makes me want to throw up.

This. I can't even imagine.