• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Also I have no idea why someone would come into a JRPG thread and say "I hate anime". Okay then. Get lost? JRPGs aren't for you then and nobody cares that you can't handle the style.

That's just threadcrapping.
This.

JRPGs ARE anime.
At least to the extent that most people mean.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm doing another playthrough of Legend of Dragoon (this time I'm going to get all the damn stardust) and I really don't know why more games didn't do the addition system.
It makes what should be boring fights so much more interactive.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is one of the things I miss the most from older JRPGs - the experimentation. The vast majority of modern JRPGs are either watered-down action games or have a minor spin on basic turn-based combat, with the occasional MMO-lite from Monolith Soft. No one has the balls to make a Panzer Dragoon Saga, Vagrant Story or Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter.

I love those games so much. Unfortunately they didn't sell enough. If you look at games from the dev Lancarse they can get a bit experimental. Check out Lost Dimension for action/SRPG hybrid or Zanki Zero for first person dungeon crawling - which has a demo by the way on PSN. Scarlet Grace is definitely worth picking up though and honestly the best game Square has put out for me this gen (which isn't saying a lot to me but eh, it stands out and is really fun and challenging; honestly feels like a JRPG aimed at adult audiences, or at least for those of us who have played a lot of games).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wasn't talking about that specific camera perspective and gameplay style, but more generally about pre-rendered backgrounds with polygonal characters as a method for low-to-mid-budget JRPG developers.

Like, DQXI technically counts if you look at its retro mode, but that's one of the big dogs of the genre. In the context of MegaTen games I was thinking something that looks more like Persona 2, or Persona 3 Portable on a console (and PC). There are plenty of examples on later handhelds like Persona or Bravely Default, but not really any on consoles or PC after that. Especially not since games like Pillars or Tyranny started coming out of the west.

I see a lot of the more niche JRPG developers (Idea factory, Compile Heart, Falcom, etc.) just doing relatively simplistic full 3D environments, sometimes with a lot of first person 2D backgrounds and VN-style character portraits for certain sections. Could they not just put that production energy into making the whole game out of more detailed 2D backgrounds?

Baten Kaitos is a pretty good example actually. To be honest that whole visual style for JRPGs -- the overall tone and style of character designs, isn't seen at all anymore. The mainline Final Fantasy games are the only ones still doing it seemingly. The Last Story on Wii was a long time ago. Maybe it's a real sign that Square is no longer the standard-bearer of JRPGs.

Yeah it seems like it kinda ended with PS2, PSP, and DS games.

Some on 3DS, and there are a few more coming next year. It just became less prevalent as diversity has increased across JRPGs.

I don't think pre-rendered was ever the majority of JRPGs on any era, with it being more affiliated with the high-budget and some mid-budget games on a single platform from 1996 to 2000. Dragon Quest, none of the SMT derivatives, Pokemon, etc. that were popular during that era never made the jump to using them as the primary forms of map movement.

Now it is more affiliated with RPGs that are trying to have a large number of towns without breaking the bank, like Bravely Default. Bravely Default is actually a decent point of comparison for Pillars of Eternity in a bunch of ways.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What I'm still wondering is why seemingly no JRPG company has tried to pull off something like Pillars of Eternity or Disco Elysium. Western RPG developers in recent years have been going back to middle--budget, isometric games that often mix relatively simple 3D characters with high-res pre-rendered backgrounds. They're deliberately going back to what CRPGs looked like in the late 90's but at modern resolutions, and as a result they're making some of the best games they've ever made.

Why hasn't any Japanese developer tried to do this?

yS92ttV.jpg

XooTrfR.jpg

Not modern example but the Growlanser series from Atlus (formerly Careersoft, developers of Langrisser series as well, before they got bought by Atlus) was exactly that - Growlanser 1-4 in the series featured pixels walking on an isometric style camera with pre-rendered backgrounds.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm doing another playthrough of Legend of Dragoon (this time I'm going to get all the damn stardust) and I really don't know why more games didn't do the addition system.
It makes what should be boring fights so much more interactive.
It feels kind of archaic and basic now with what action RPGs have become, but man was it innovative back in the day. I'd love to see another go at it with some tweaks. It was like a very basic rhythm game before, there's a lot they could do with it.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It feels kind of archaic and basic now with what action RPGs have become, but man was it innovative back in the day. I'd love to see another go at it with some tweaks. It was like a very basic rhythm game before, there's a lot they could do with it.
Basic?! Some of the additions I still don't have full confidence finishing.

But yeah I see what you mean. I'd love to see another spin on it today. Maybe using all four buttons?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I liked Septerra Core back in the day. But that was a blatant FFVII ripoff in many ways.
Maybe in that it used pre-rendered 3D backgrounds, but its battle system was much more similar to that of Chrono Trigger. Honestly, I'd love to see an updated version of Septerra Core. It's such a pain in the ass to get running, especially if you want to play it in windowed mode. I've never been able to get the cursor to move smoothly in windowed mode, regardless of which fixes I tried, and I hate playing the game full-screen because of the low resolution and how it screws with my desktop icons and whatnot. I'd love to see an updated version of it for PC and consoles that did away with the mouse control entirely and didn't require a fan-made hack to get around having to install an ancient version of QuickTime in order to view in-game videos.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I know JRPGs have a lot of dialog, but the flow of modern VS classic feels different. I think it's the way the story is told, really. The flow of a classic JRPG felt like:
story cut scene (a few minutes long) -> gameplay -> gather info (player choice) to flesh out the story -> more gameplay/progression -> cut scene.

Now, however, it seems to be more dialog/a relentless wall of text for 20 minutes just to introduce a character. I mean, it feels like it goes on forever. In a lot of the modern JRPG, I'm sitting there thinking: am going to get to play? When that happens, after 2 hours of introduction text, going to the status screen is a totally different can of worms all together. The convoluted mechanics, main leveling progression systems, and extra leveling progression systems just slaps crits for 10k in the face.

Not saying all modern JRPGs I have played feel like this, because that's not the case. But a good chunk of them has been, and it has made me think twice about being excited for a new JRPG.

I agree with this. But there are 2 sides of it - There are some people who prefer the 20 minute long wall of text to introduce a character, the dialogue quips whenever you get to a new area, the inventory management and loot sorting, the mastering of increasingly-convoluted progression systems and battle mechanics... there are other people who prefer exploration, a simple well-told plot, rapid fire progression of the story... That's the big difference between the oldskool and nu-skool of RPG gameplay. As I get older I get a bit more weary of the overly complicated progression systems or the wall of text dialogue and so playing classic RPGs feels like such a breath of fresh air. I still love the Trails series though.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Something about today's games doesn't resonate the same way. I don't think it's nostalgia, either, as I still feel something different about these old games when I replay them. It's not like they're totally gone. Bravely Default and Radiant Historia feel like these old games. Persona 5, in many ways, feels like a modernization of these old school JRPGs. Dragon Quest XI feels almost TOO old school, but definitely has a lot of that old soul.

They just seem far less prevalent and more niche than they used to. There really was a "golden age" of JRPGs, and I still hope we can have another one someday. We're in a much better place than we were a generation ago, at least.

Does anyone else feel this way?

The Trails series fills that void for me. They're old school JRPGs, but with modern QoL features.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of jrpgs today have no challenge either I went through the whole main story of FF15 and didn't die once, how much more boring can you get than that?

if there's no challenge at all I might as well just watch it like a movie

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of jrpgs today have no challenge either I went through the whole main story of FF15 and didn't die once, how much more boring can you get than that?

Let's be real here, how many JRPGs can one really have any trouble with (outside of completionist trouble where you need to follow a FAQ to find every obscure treasure box)?

That's an exception to the rule for the genre. It's an overwhelmingly easy genre to play, made easier by the fact you able to grind to get stronger and buy better equipment which in turn makes it easier - as well as unlocking stronger powers which also makes it easier.

I enjoy JRPGs, but they're like comfort food to me, nice for a cold winter day, but they aren't going to get me frustrated or challenge me the way a game like Hollow Knight will or some other genre that relies more on precise platforming or has you not being so crazy OP.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

There are plenty of JRPGs that offer good challenge. Play Octopath Traveler, SaGa Scarlet Grace, DQXI on Stronger Enemies, Fire Emblem games on harder difficulties, etc.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of JRPGs that offer good challenge. Play Octopath Traveler, SaGa Scarlet Grace, DQXI on Stronger Enemies, Fire Emblem games on harder difficulties, etc.
I said a lot not all of them I have played octopath, that one would have been really good if the story was good, they nailed combat and difficulty and forgot the story. turning on stronger enemies in dragon quest 11 isn't the same thing

I don't like difficulty settings, feels so fake

I looked at scarlet grace but reviews weren't that great

Oct 25, 2017
I said a lot not all of them I have played octopath, that one would have been really good if the story was good, they nailed combat and difficulty and forgot the story. turning on stronger enemies in dragon quest 11 isn't the same thing

I don't like difficulty settings, feels so fake

I looked at scarlet grace but reviews weren't that great

Yeah, because Western reviewers tend to not like open and difficult JRPGs. If you limit yourself to the opinions of Western reviews for RPGs, you're mostly going to get more guided and simpler gameplay experiences.

God forbid developers give players options to tailor their experience via difficulty levels.

I'm at about 85 hours into Scarlet Grace, third playthrough. If you like good gameplay and difficulty in open RPGs, the game is essentially the pinnacle of the genre.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at about 85 hours into Scarlet Grace, third playthrough. If you like good gameplay and difficulty in open RPGs, the game is essentially the pinnacle of the genre.
Is the story good? Is it classic turn based combat? Does it have world map? Sound track as good as some older rpgs? does it require play through of other saga games?

Oct 25, 2017
Is the story good? Is it classic turn based combat? Does it have world map? Sound track as good as some older rpgs? does it require play through of other saga games?

You seem to want super specific narrow things from games, so you should probably just play through those older ones rather than expecting every new game to conform to your super specific set of demands. It isn't a story focused game. It is the GOAT turn-based system, and is independent of other SaGa games. It wins an award for Most World Map in an RPG. But it mostly succeeds on its own merits and trying to pin it into a single specific structure of sub-genre that it doesn't even try to be will lead to disappointment. There's a lot of games that it is remiscent of, but those games are either other SaGa games or RPGs that aren't JRPGs.

You seem to really want linear, story-focused games, but those are inherently going to lean on the easier and simpler side just as a basic result of the constraints placed by linearity.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to want super specific narrow things from games, so you should probably just play through those older ones rather than expecting every new game to conform to your super specific set of demands. It isn't a story focused game. It is the GOAT turn-based system, and is independent of other SaGa games. It wins an award for Most World Map in an RPG. But it mostly succeeds on its own merits and trying to pin it into a single specific structure of sub-genre that it doesn't even try to be will lead to disappointment. There's a lot of games that it is remiscent of, but those games are either other SaGa games or RPGs that aren't JRPGs.

You seem to really want linear, story-focused games, but those are inherently going to lean on the easier and simpler side just as a basic result of the constraints placed by linearity.
I just want to die a few times, I know most aren't considered hard but they are beyond easy they are very easy like babies could beat them

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

• The game's writing and woldbuilding are very good. "Story," in the traditional overarching sense, takes a bit of a back seat to exploration and gameplay.
  • Yes, it's one of the best turn-based battle systems ever.
  • It takes place almost entirely on the world map. There are no towns and dungeons to explore in 3D—rather, you're exploring the world map, entire provinces. Towns are many, but menu-based, and you interact with people, events, and locations on the world map.
  • Yeah, the OST is great.
  • No.
I just want to die a few times, I know most aren't considered hard but they are beyond easy they are very easy like babies could beat them

You will die in Scarlet Grace. And it'll be extremely satisfying when you beat battles while hanging on by a thread.

Oct 25, 2017

But if your condition is just dying a few times, you're basically on the razor's edge of game balance and somebody slightly more experienced or better would slide through without dying, and those worse would die a lot.

The answer is... difficulty levels, but you hate those too. You just want the entire RPG genre to be designed to your own super-narrow expectations and yours alone.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Until the last year or so, I thought I had outgrown them but I really enjoyed my time with FFXII and what I have played of DQXI.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i replayed Suikoden 1 & 2 this year, might end it with Mother 3 - for decades, JRPG's were my favorite, but i played too many mediocre ones and honestly burned out on the genre. if it's a medieval-y setting and doesn't do something interesting with that (lovecraftian shit a la berserk/souls shit/SMT 3) i'm probably not fucking with it. i just spent too much time with forgettable settings/characters/plot and am way pickier these days...on a related note, i can't wait for next year's port of disco elsyium

FF VII remake looks fantastic, and ill likely gameshark my way through Xenogears 2.0 (fan effort) soon, i haven't played it since in the day but can't do the grinding forever again. it's also been far too long since Lunar 2.

My brain still doesn't register Playstation RPGs as being old school since I was playing that genre a decade earlier but I do find the 32-bit era of JRPGs more appealing than current gen ones.

Panzer Dragoon Saga still might be the best JRPG ever made. It's so replayable.

i finally nabbed a copy in like 2014 or so and goddamn is this game short & beautiful. i support people playing it by whatever means they can.
also related: the Shining Force III translation effort (still ongoing!) from Shining Force Central is a joy, no fan should sleep on the rest of that series

I feel like most of these arguements end up boiling down to people having a hate boner against anime aesthetics which were always present but never as blatant back when technical limitations meant the anime style was hard to represent within the game itself

i wanna argue here, but yeah - Phantasy Star, Lunar, Cosmic Fantasy II etc - it was evident from pretty early on, but i do feel we were talking about different art styles/troupes. Phantasy Star II looks more like the era of Space Adventure Cobra, Golgo 13 and such then when everything started looking like Tails games for a while there.
by the 32-bit era, the anime influence felt undeniable, and when unique aesthetics showed up (Vagrant Story comes to mind) they would stand out as a result

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Also I have no idea why someone would come into a JRPG thread and say "I hate anime". Okay then. Get lost? JRPGs aren't for you then and nobody cares that you can't handle the style.

That's just threadcrapping.
This is being disingenuous. You know EXACTLY what people mean when they mention anime in regards to video games. That's why people tend to list of the JRPG's that they do like. Someone in the thread made a good post about it but it's an accumulation of modern tropes and cliches that have become particularly pervasive over time. People need to stop bringing this up as if ever JRPG is exactly the same or something. I like JRPG's and even I don't have time for another "passive teenage boy adventures with cute girls (atleast one that is particularly young) and his male friends that range from comically serious to just comical".

Personally I am really vouching for a JRPG that features an older cast that both acts and looks appropriate for their age.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Yeah, because Western reviewers tend to not like open and difficult JRPGs. If you limit yourself to the opinions of Western reviews for RPGs, you're mostly going to get more guided and simpler gameplay experiences.

God forbid developers give players options to tailor their experience via difficulty levels.

Gonna have to give this a shot I guess. I like difficult RPGs but totally agree with the dude who said turning on stronger mobs or whatever is not the same thing. A well balanced RPG with no difficulty options will always be better than a hard mode that just ups values.

Dragon Quest XI is a total failure of a game when it comes to difficulty. The default mode is even easier than Pokemon ffs.

Oct 26, 2017
turning on stronger enemies in dragon quest 11 isn't the same thing
But it plays just fine. I've put over 100 hours into the game on stronger monsters and have found it to be very satisfying and have to actually use my head for boss battles. The problem with DQXI's default difficulty is the enemies don't do enough damage and are way too squishy so they fall before they can do anything. Stronger monsters addresses this problem and you actually can encounter fights where enemies will push back, and things like the forge and the character builder can be used to their fullest potential.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna have to give this a shot I guess. I like difficult RPGs but totally agree with the dude who said turning on stronger mobs or whatever is not the same thing. A well balanced RPG with no difficulty options will always be better than a hard mode that just ups values.

Dragon Quest XI is a total failure of a game when it comes to difficulty. The default mode is even easier than Pokemon ffs.

DQ11 has the most amazing difficulty options of any JRPG I've ever played. Playing with harder enemies + other modifiers like no shops & no overleveling completely transforms the gameplay. The fact that you can also turn everything off and turn it into something that my 10-year old could enjoy is just another point in its favor.

Oct 25, 2017

SaGa Scarlet Grace doesn't have traditional difficulty options, but is the entire game just a bunch of difficulty options?

In terms of tailoring your own experience, there's

• Four very different protagonists and main quest structures.
  • The world scales with how many battles you fight, so you never massively overpower or underlevel the main game.
  • Out of the hundreds of battles/scenarios you can choose at any time, there's Easy/Normal/Hard which have increasing rewards, both physically (crafting components) and to character HP/skills.
  • Every battle has multiple optional objectives to earn more rewards.
  • Every one of the main quests has multiple story branches
  • Every one of the main quests has some type of mechanic that gates into different difficulties for the final boss.
  • An actual difficulty slider for which there's very little documentation about, because it doesn't' actually change the battles themselves. It just messes at the rate at which the world/encounters "progress" (In game parlance, Battle Rank increases faster or slower). So it is requires re-approaching the game and can be really tough at times, because stuff gets harder before you've had time to really prepare.
There's not really any other RPG (ever?) that is like this.

DQ11 has the most amazing difficulty options of any JRPG I've ever played. Playing with harder enemies + other modifiers like no shops & no overleveling completely transforms the gameplay. The fact that you can also turn everything off and turn it into something that my 10-year old could enjoy is just another point in its favor.

I thought DQ XI's difficulty levels were generally really, egregiously bad. Beyond many or most players missing it as a side button prompt at the character naming screen, the awful decision to lock players out of enabling it mid-game (which was awful in FE: Three Houses, too) leads to a weird difficulty curve.

I absolutely adored Stronger Monsters for Act 1, but the game wasn't designed with difficulty levels in mind. In a game without difficulty levels, there's a difficulty curve, whereas in a game with difficulty levels there tends to be a flatter curve since the player can put it closer to their liking. The designed curve with a post-launch difficulty mode grafted on top made Act 1 awesome but contributed to the overall repetition and poor pacing of Act 2/3. Act 2 works a lot better if you're breezing through the content repeat content, just as why Hard/Nightmare are so bad in Trails in the Sky SC-- they designed a long, breezy, repetitive part that gets mangled by post-launch difficulty levels that the games weren't designed for.

Last edited:

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019
I love old school Jrpg and I also enjoy some modern Jrpg like DQXI which blend old school with new school. I played with the classic battle system and I didn't regret it :)

Xenor

Jun 1, 2018
Lost Odyssey was the last JRPG where I felt this old spirit. I have played every JRPG and it is not the same anymore.