• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many games do you guys beat on average per year?

• 0 - 2

Votes: 126 14.6%
  • 3 - 5

Votes: 210 24.4%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 151 17.5%
  • 10 - 20

Votes: 148 17.2%
  • 20 - 50

Votes: 171 19.8%
  • 50+

Votes: 56 6.5%

• Total voters

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I think I beat maybe 1 game a year in that time? I don't really finish games. There are games that I played for quite a while without finishing the campaign or story.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wild numbers in this thread, my goodness.

Making me feel like I either have no time, or I need to figure out how the heck I'm spending it.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Usually 50+ but this year I'm only around 30 so far. Depends on how addicted I get to online stuff. PSO2 and Genshin Impact took up a bunch of time this year.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I specifically started the 52 challenge because I realized I was just buying things and rarely finishing them. I'm on #48 right now!

Viale

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I'll usually do anywhere around 20 to 40 or so. One year I did the 52 challenge on here and made it to 58, but I don't generally go that high.

I'll somewhat regularly take a "break" from games where nothing really interests me, and I can't stay invested in anything during that time which always puts a damper on how many games I'll play in a year. Usually, something will crop up to get me out of the "funk" whether it be a new game or reccomendations from a friend.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Having done the 52 games in a year challenge since 2015, I have successfully done it every year since except for one.

This year I'm on 57 beaten which is tracking to be my most in a year ever.
So are these usually larger games, smaller ones, or kind of a mix? 57 seems really high.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
About the same. Might be even less this year since I played a number of open world games.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Props to anyone getting over 10. I'm not old, but I miss being younger. Still remember going to pawn shops and GameStops every other week to re-up on a used game or 2 so I didn't run out of stuff to play.

Oct 30, 2017
Single player only and 1 game at a time. Some shot ones like Donut County but some long ones too, like Persona 5. I avg about 23 games beat a year, this year in particular I am up to 29

Oct 27, 2017
I think I probably finish more books than games, but I also have a pretty full life at the moment, so not a ton of gaming is happening.

I probably finish two or three lengthy games and several shorter ones a year.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I don't really play multiplayer or endless type games because I struggle to stay motivated without a tangible end-goal (Minecraft, LoL, OW and the like). So I definitely get through more than most simply because I mainly play single player. I used to be obsessed with trophies and 100% every game, and in my best years I did that for like 30 games, but I dropped off and now I've almost entirely stepped back from doing so.

Majority of my games now I just beat the campaign, ignore most side content unless I like the game because it's rarely worth the time and move on to the next. Quite easy to get through 30+ games when you do that. I've beaten like 6 >35hr JRPGs this year alone and working on two more, let alone the countless others. I'm probably the most busy I've ever been in life, so it's been quite surprising how many I've been able to get through when I just focus on beating them.

Just counted: 17 on PS4 + 20 on Switch = 37. Working on another 4 or so atm.

Last edited:

vortz

Oct 29, 2017
Around 20 a year. 2020 was a good gaming year due to lockdowns so this year maybe around 30.

Gamepass helped A LOT, in backlog clearing.

It made me realise that many of the games I want to play are not worth my time or skippable all around.

I drop games much more easily since I now prefer to focus my time on excellent games which are much easier to clear than not so good games.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Overcooked with my wife several months ago. Beyond that, I can't even remember because I have too much work to do.
I think 20-30 was maybe the best I ever did. The time I played the most was heavily invested in the same MP games, so there was nothing to beat.

Well, hope to spent more time with the new PS5.

jpvox

May 21, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I'm the worst at this. In a typical year, maybe a couple. In a good year, I might double it. The problem is, I start more games than I finish! My pile of shame is very high haha.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
25-30 per year. Some were replays, like Alan Wake or Fear.

*looks at backlog*

I'll never run out of games to play!

russbus64

May 1, 2018
59 last year, but a lot of that consists of very short games. 30 so far this year, including

100%:
Ghost of Tsushima (I'll replay at some point on PS5)
Picross e9 (why are Picross games so addicting?)
Doom Eternal (haven't played DLC, waiting for next-gen patch)
Doom 64
Paper Mario The Origami King
Picross S4
PictoQuest
Pokemon Sword (waiting on Zarude to finish my living dex!)
What the Golf?
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (fell off the bandwagon years ago, looking to catch up now)
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Assassin's Creed Unity
Murder by Numbers
Astro's Playroom (this is too good to be a free title)

Others
Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary World Tour
Final Doom
Lego Harry Potter 1-4
Lego Harry Potter 5-7
Lego Jurassic World

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
10 sounds about right. I'm probably also going to put less stress on finishing games after a few recent experiences where pushing through an experience I was no longer enjoying has ruined my opinion of a game.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I go about one a month or so, so between 10 and 15 in general. Mind you, I usually play either lengthy RPGs, strategy games or stuff like Dynasty Warriors, Yakuza, etc... i.e. all games that take a while to play through/beat/etc.. I also like to replay older games but I generally just mess around and not finish them.

Oh, is installing 100+ mods on one of Bethesda games every couple of months and then successfully playing for a few hours without crashing count as beating them? Because I tend to do that....

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't count until I started doing the 52 game challenge. I've done it three years now, usually in the 50s.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Define "complete"

Is it just watching the credits roll? Being satisfied with it? Or like 100% everything? I usually play a dozen games a year, but I either stop after about an hour if it didn't immediately clicked or live and breath that game for weeks until I see everything it has to offer (usually going for platinum). Because if this, I'd say I complete about 6 games a year. If I truly enjoy a game, I want to see everything it has to offer so I try to focus on the game I'm playing and forget about everything else until after I'm done with it.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
2 max. I dont stick with a game long term unless its like unbelievable "cant put it down" type of game.

and i mostly play games as a service games. Or big open world games. Not so much linear single player campaigns. I just beat jedi fallen order the other day. Im sure i beat something else earlier

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, but I have 600+ games in my backlog, mostly physical and not counting Steam games. So, not nearly enough each year.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Last 5 years...
2016 - 42
2017 - 33
2018 - 37
2019 - 44
2020 - 31 (so far)
My backlog is still huge lol

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm lucky if I can get through 5 a year now. I'm usually in the 3 range. However that's because I've drastically lowered my gaming purchases in recent years. I don't feel the need to spend $20 every Steam sale like I used to, and just pick up the few games I really want every year now.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Shit im lucky if I beat 1 game every 2 months lmao

Meanwhile I buy 0-3 games a month, depending on sales. >.>

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't have a backlog, if I did I would die before getting it complete probably

I just play what I want and drop stuff that's not interesting

Oct 27, 2017
I have a huge backlog but I do beat about 20-50 per year. Maybe not 50. This year alone I beat:
Fire Emblem 3H DLC
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5
Astro's Playroom
Miles Morales
Blood & Truth
Walking Dead Final Season
Life is strange 2
Ori 1
Crosscode
Animal Crossing (credits and paid house)
THPS1/2
Mario Galaxy Remastered
Gears 5
TLOU2
Overcooked 2
Tsushima
One Night stand
Paratopic
FF7R
RE3
Battlefront 2
Minecraft Dungeons
FH4
Paper Mario TOK
Yoshi Crafted World
NSMBU DX

28 and I think I'm missing some.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I usually beat somewhere between 20-30 a year. It's been that way since midway through college when I decided to clear up a chunk of my backlog before playing anything newā€”since then I've never had more than 15 games in my backlog at a time.

Last year was weird and I got super busy and then had no motivation when I had time so I think I finished around 8 ?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably somewhere in the 20-50 range. I keep a list on my pc tracking each game I play and complete each year but I can't remember what the average is around.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
When I was working hard on my backlog it was 30-50 a year but I'm at 28 right now and will likely just barely get over 30.

I beat all the short games in my backlog so unless I get back into short art games on Steam it'll be less going forward.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Define "complete"

Is it just watching the credits roll? Being satisfied with it? Or like 100% everything? I usually play a dozen games a year, but I either stop after about an hour if it didn't immediately clicked or live and breath that game for weeks until I see everything it has to offer (usually going for platinum). Because if this, I'd say I complete about 6 games a year. If I truly enjoy a game, I want to see everything it has to offer so I try to focus on the game I'm playing and forget about everything else until after I'm done with it.

what do you mean lol. I said beat. no way I'll complete a game nowadays.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm in the 10-15 range, typically. This year might even be a bit better, since I started working from home, and I save a few hours a day from commute, so I've been gaming a bit more.

It helps that the only "ongoing" game I keep returning to is Age of Empires II, whenever a new bunch of custom campaigns get made and uploaded. Other than that, I don't really get involved in any GAAS-type games, so it's just single-payer games, which helps with completing stuff somewhat.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
I'd be lucky to beat 10 games in a year, just don't have the time. Probably finish anywhere from 5-8 games in a year.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Okay I found my doc that lists out everything through December 31st, 2019 and it was 1359 games since 2004 so like 90 games every year for 15 years. I build up backlogs and cut through them pretty fast, play very few fighting games, no service games, no MMOs, I 100% games if I'm really feeling it but that's pretty rare. Feels nice to just relax and play through games when your job is outside all day.

I'm at 55 so far this year and I'll probably end around 60ish but Trails of Cold Steel 4 will probably take a couple weeks.