• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
A 25-year-old man is dead after falling more than 250 feet off of a cliff to his death as he was taking pictures at a scenic overlook, according to the National Park Service.

The NPS reported that witnesses saw the man, later identified as 25-year-old Orlando Serrano-Arzola from Phoenix, Arizona, taking pictures at the Glen Canyon Overlook near Page, Arizona, before falling an estimated 100 feet and then sliding approximately 150 feet further down into the canyon.

Officials, however, made another grisly – but unrelated -- discovery when they were in the process of recovering Serrano-Arzola from the canyon: another set of human remains.

"Officers from Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and the Coconino County Sheriff's Office discovered bones at the base of the Glen Canyon Dam Overlook on Sunday, October 4, that have been determined to be human remains," the NPS said in a separate statement to the one about Serrano-Arzola.

abcnews.go.com

Man falls to death off cliff while taking pictures, more human remains found during recovery effort

A 25-year-old man is dead after falling more than 250 feet off of a cliff to his death as he was taking pictures at a scenic overlook, according to the NPS.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Inappropriate joke
Was he wearing a mask?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I've seen people dangling over cliffs to get cool looking snaps and it never fails to give me second hand anxiety. Not worth it folks.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Almost saw this happen in person while I was in Zion. Beautiful overlook into the valley and a group of dudes wanted to take a selfie. They kept backing up, then decided to go on the other side of the barrier to "get a better shot". They then backed up further (while looking at their selfie camera) until one of them had his heel on the edge of the cliff, with rocks tumbling down behind him. I couldn't watch anymore so I yelled "hey you're awfully close to that edge, be careful" and one of them looked back, then looked at me with a surprised look like "wow I didn't realize I was that close to dying". They all took one step forward, took the photo, and got back in their car.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
I'm an avid hiker and I have a serious fear of cliff edges. I always stay quite a ways back, and try to avoid hikes where that isn't possible.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't say he was taking selfie or doing anything particularly stupid, he might just be taking regular pictures and that spot is tricky and should have some protection or barrier. Saw a car drive of a cliff once, not fun.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Sucks for him, but sucks even for the other dead person. Supposedly they not only died all alone, but no one was concerned when they didn't come home? Lonely, scary way to go.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, selfies have killed just as much people than car crashes at this point.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know no one reads OPs or articles on this forum, but lol it doesn't even say if he was taking selfies. Look at your own bias before judging or maybe just read the article ffs

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Nobody said he was taking selfies. Could've just been taking a picture of the Grand Canyon because it's...you know, the Grand Canyon.

There are thousands of super high quality pictures of the Grand Canyon. It is vanity to sit there and snap off tons of pictures when better ones already exist. And to be so focused on it that you fall to your death?!? The guy had his head up his ass and now he's dead.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are thousands of super high quality pictures of the Grand Canyon. It is vanity to sit there and snap off tons of pictures when better ones already exist. And to be so focused on it that you fall to your death?!? The guy had his head up his ass and now he's dead.
Good lord, you don't even know this man! A person died and your first response is "vain ass dude, should've just Googled pictures instead of having his head up his ass". So damn sanctimonious, I swear.

Oct 27, 2017
It's... not ridiculous to take your own pictures of the Grand Canyon while you're at the Grand Canyon.

Obviously don't get too close to the fucking edge of it though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what selfies has to do with anythiing. People were climbing on dangerous things before cameras existed. Framing it around selfies makes this sound like an article just trying to target millennials.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018

You're being a complete asshole

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Almost saw this happen in person while I was in Zion. Beautiful overlook into the valley and a group of dudes wanted to take a selfie. They kept backing up, then decided to go on the other side of the barrier to "get a better shot". They then backed up further (while looking at their selfie camera) until one of them had his heel on the edge of the cliff, with rocks tumbling down behind him. I couldn't watch anymore so I yelled "hey you're awfully close to that edge, be careful" and one of them looked back, then looked at me with a surprised look like "wow I didn't realize I was that close to dying". They all took one step forward, took the photo, and got back in their car.
I would have a heart attack watching that.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I guess I'm a asshole because I took photos of the Brooklyn bridge when I could've just download them off Google.

Some people

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Do you have any concept of memories and wanting to capture a moment in more than just your head?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I feel so awful imagining this. I've been on many cliff edges, and I always make sure to stand with my legs bracing me so I don't slip. It's scary to imagine that you could just mistakenly trip and die because of it. I would literally crawl if I wanted to look over an edge that lacks support. What a terrible way to go. A couple people could employ a little more empathy in here. Rather than assuming he was a fool, keep in mind that it could've been an accident and he was otherwise practicing precautions. It could be really easy to fuck up in dangerous places like that.